Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:22:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'I don't get it'.

Started by saltysnacks, June 23, 2017, 10:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Textface

Eraserhead. Absolute ballbag.

pigamus

On Blade Runner - I saw it on Channel 4 about ten years ago, knowing literally nothing about it other than it was supposed to be 'a thing'. Enjoyed it enormously on its own terms. Didn't think it was pretentious, didn't think it was a masterpiece. Hope I'd like it and did. Just that, nothing more.

zomgmouse

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 25, 2017, 10:23:33 PM
I guess this is the trubs with a lot of comicbook characters, they get written & drawn by so many different people over the years that there can be a real lack of consistency to the look and feel of their stories / characters and it's a bit alienating to non-fans.  Then again, people rate Christopher Nolan's Batman films as some of the best of all time (at least according to IMDB) and I only enjoyed the one with Heath Ledger so maybe I'm a bit weird.

I think you're right, though despite being quite different to O'Neill's comics I did like the Burton Batman films. But I'm not a fan of Nolan's films either, I agree that the Heath Ledger one's fairly decent but that's only due to his performance in it, and the rest of either dull or, as in the case of the third film, absolute bollocks.

armful

Quote from: NurseNugent on June 25, 2017, 11:51:27 AM
I love Harold and Maude but when I showed to a now ex boyfriend he hated that much he stormed out of the house, didn't come back for two hours and wouldn't speak to me for the rest of the weekend. It does seem to be a love it or hate it kind of film.

Several people have tried to get to watch The Goonies, telling me it's the greatest film ever but I'm afraid to say I don't see what the fuss is about. I guess it's just not for me.

hahah. I wish  I had ran out as soon as the film started. I have no issue with folk who  like the film mind. But when she was showing me that film all I can recall is thinking " What he fuck  is this  ? "

neveragain

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 24, 2017, 01:23:54 PM
With the exception of The Mask (1994), all Jim Carrey movies (especially The Truman Show (1998) and Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004) )

I absolutely love The Truman Show; think it's a perfect grotesque satire of the media, escape film and existential theses rolled into one. Carrey's slow confused breakdown is superb. The detail put into the backstory to keep it believable (all the logistical questions are answered somewhere). Just the look of Seahaven - ostensibly the villain of the piece but such a paradise. I can't get enough of this stuff. Plus the whole thing's very well structured, with the delayed introduction of Christof adding another level in the second act. But... if you don't like Carrey and his arsing about then there's not much I can say.

New Jack

I am baffled by Wet Hot American Summer in any of its forms. Just seems slow paced unfunny arsing about with pastiches that don't work. I suspect that's the aim, like it thinks it's subverting known tropes. I just don't get it. I literally need it explained to me why it it is good. I don't find it absurd or  subversive or any of the other terms people throw around. It's just dull and tiresome.

mobias

The films of Christopher Nolan with particular emphasis on his turgid and totally charmless Batman movies. I do like a good super hero film but the first two Superman movies set the bar and got the note absolutely right. I thought the first two Sam Raimi Spiderman movies managed to channel a similar charm but I'm not a fan of what super hero films have become these days and I lay the blame squarely at Christopher Nolan's feet. I don't care what anyone says, super hero films aren't meant to take themselves too seriously.

He's also a massive proponent of that horrible blue/grey washed out film grading that he, Ridley Scott and half of Hollywood use in modern digital film making. 

zomgmouse

Christopher Nolan thinks he's smarter than he is by using low ominous angles and low ominous music and unfortunately so do his fans. There's nothing difficult to comprehend about either Memento or Inception despite what people who bang on about their complexity will have you believe. I don't think he's a bad filmmaker by any means but he's also not a brilliant or above-averagely interesting filmmaker, and that's where I think I and much of the populist cinemagoing public would disagree. It seems, however, that I've seen all but his latest two films. Out of these I only really liked Insomnia and The Prestige, but I've realised that these were also the first of his films that I saw, which could perhaps be influencing those choices.

Mini

Memento is brilliant, but I'd definitely put Inception and Interstellar in the "I don't get it" category. Nolan has yet to write an interesting or likeable character as far as I can tell.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It gets on my nerves when people say Memento's time structure is gimmicky. That's like calling the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park a gimmick.