Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:29:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Local "Characters"/Nutboxes

Started by SteveDave, June 23, 2017, 04:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Misspent Boners on January 04, 2019, 06:35:42 PM
Can you actually hear yourself?

I should certainly hope not.  I have a disconcertingly nasally voice, as others are often at pains to point out, in between covering their ears and vomiting.

Quote from: Misspent Boners on January 04, 2019, 07:24:46 PM
...its a good example of some people being a bit too prolific on here and flying off the handle too often. unnecessary arguments seem to occupy so much of the forum at present

Again, I wasn't aware that it was their first post.  Would I have been a little more tactile in my approach, had I have known?  Possibly but the core of my point would have remained the same.  If someone posts a bunch of ignorant claptrap, then I think that needs to be addressed, regardless of whether it's their first post or not.

Then again, I am a prize plum, so there is that.  Nobody should be putting too much credence into anything I say.  I certainly don't.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That's all very well, and all very fine, but when is someone going to put up a link to that " Jam"  sketch about that bloke who chooses to go feral and live outside his house ?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's bizarre that I may tell my grandchildren about humans sleeping in tents on the streets and begging for money by playing penny whistles, but there is Leeds, 2019.

Penny whistle guy is a lifer though, he's been around since I've been in Leeds. It's questionable if he is even real. Is it just me who can see this man? Now has a horseshoe bald head but side-dreadlocks, so he conceals this with a hat. He cheerily says hello to everyone and despite playing the infernal penny whistle for over a decade has no idea whatsoever about the operation of it or construction of a melody.

I will cope with human destitution and mental illness but for gods sake man play one just one melody

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 05, 2019, 12:45:42 PM
It's bizarre that I may tell my grandchildren about humans sleeping in tents on the streets and begging for money by playing penny whistles, but there is Leeds, 2019.

Penny whistle guy is a lifer though, he's been around since I've been in Leeds. It's questionable if he is even real. Is it just me who can see this man? Now has a horseshoe bald head but side-dreadlocks, so he conceals this with a hat. He cheerily says hello to everyone and despite playing the infernal penny whistle for over a decade has no idea whatsoever about the operation of it or construction of a melody.

I will cope with human destitution and mental illness but for gods sake man play one just one melody

She isn't homeless, but in Aberdeen there was a Roma lady called 'Guitar Wifey' she just strummed an untuned guitar. At one point she was due to be deported or something, much to local outcry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lm9Ha2e2EA

Replies From View

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 04, 2019, 08:02:44 PM
I'm not sure I agree with the notion everyone who rejects modern society and chooses to be a hermit is unhappy and mentally ill. What about people who live all year round in converted buses or campers are they autistic and sad as well?

Not necessarily autistic and sad; high-functioning autism could be a reason for somebody to choose an isolated lifestyle but not always.  And I didn't conflate "sadness" into this - I said that people with an autistic spectrum condition tend to find aloneness a comforting space - we were talking about not assuming homeless people are "happy" with the state of homelessness, which is a different argument.

The difference would always be the homelessness aspect, insofar as some people on the autistic spectrum are less able than others (on the autistic spectrum) to care for themselves, and need support to understand their condition and to find a way to navigate the unpredictable aspects of everyday life.  They might wish for a life where they are not hassled by other people's routines, but be unable to turn this into a structured, independent existence, and instead become homeless due to struggles understanding work expectations or rent payment routines.

Somebody who has managed to create a lifestyle for themselves in a converted bus, camper or cave doesn't really fit that category.

thenoise

Richard the piano tuner lived the happy hobo lifestyle for a few years although a little google-fu reveals he is now living in a house with his girlfriend in Wales.

gmoney

There used to be a Penny Whistle Guy in Chichester, he'd only ever play the Blackadder theme. I think he had a rep for being a bit unpredictable, but he was always nice to me when I chatted with him. I haven't seen him for years, which now I think about it is a bit worrying.

In a previous incarnation, The Cowboy would walk around the town centre for hours on end at astonishing speed while holding a blaring radio and a copy of the old BBC test card at head height. He's found God now.

Quote from: gmoney on January 05, 2019, 02:03:39 PM
he'd only ever play the Blackadder theme. I think he had a rep for being a bit unpredictable

An oxymoronic passage.  Wonder if he could play the theme to Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em?

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on January 05, 2019, 02:26:13 PM
^^^Looks a good bunch of chaps.

Sorry, I was fiddling around with it to try to make it smaller (ooh, missus! etc.). I've given up trying now.

And now you've modified your post to make my follow-up post redundant.

Replies From View

What comedy theme tunes are familiar to kids of today, do you reckon?

alan nagsworth

While we're still vaguely on the subject of folk being rich but preferring to live a nomadic life in the great outdoors, has there ever been a case of the exact opposite? A complete down-and-out with no home, no money, no friends or family, decides to pack it all in and go and live a life of affluence and opulence.

"Here, have you seen that Mickey the Moneybags?" they'd say, or "Harry the Homed" maybe. "Legend has it he's actually got fuck all since he was born with brain damage and he never had any mates and his family home burned down when he was 12 and he was the only survivor. A couple years of living it rough and he decided he was just gonna go and live in a big house with a family and have loads of money. People say he's nuts but you know what I say? Fair play to the geezer. It's obviously making him happy so if he wants to live in a warm house then more power to him."

That's the sort of attitude we want isn't it? But you just can't see past it, can you? No, he must be mental and should be locked up. We live in a fucking society.

alan nagsworth

"You wouldn't think it to look at him, would you? I see him about sometimes, in his Tesco managers uniform, off down the Tesco where he works as the manager, and I have to remind myself: This guy had nothing! Not two pennies to rub together. And now look at him, living the life he deserves, and fair play. If you ask me, he made the right decision."

Makes you think doesn't it? But it'll never happen. Fucking society.

Quote from: Replies From View on January 05, 2019, 02:35:45 PM
What comedy theme tunes are familiar to kids of today, do you reckon?

Whichever ones are familiar according to their viewing habits.

Replies From View

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on January 05, 2019, 03:03:45 PM
Whichever ones are familiar according to their viewing habits.

Yeah but I want you to tell me what all their viewing habits are.

Quote from: Replies From View on January 05, 2019, 03:04:48 PM

I would know that how, by regularly chatting to kids?  I'm not a nonce and/or teacher.

Replies From View

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on January 05, 2019, 03:29:26 PM
I would know that how, by regularly chatting to kids?  I'm not a nonce and/or teacher.

Can't you become both?

Quote from: Replies From View on January 05, 2019, 03:30:05 PM
Can't you become both?

I gave an 'and/or' option above. It was a case of delete as appropriate.  Be interesting to know the proportions for a Venn diagram that reflected the truth...

EDIT: please don't take this as an impugning of the at least forty percent that enter teaching with honourable motives.

Replies From View

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on January 05, 2019, 03:51:18 PM
I gave an 'and/or' option above. It was a case of delete as appropriate.  Be interesting to know the proportions for a Venn diagram that reflected the truth...

I shall ask you nicely:  please become a combined nonce and teacher to help me with my query above about comedy theme tunes, cheers.

Quote from: Replies From View on January 05, 2019, 03:54:04 PM
I shall ask you nicely:  please become a combined nonce and teacher to help me with my query above about comedy theme tunes, cheers.

Sadly, I think, at weeks from my fiftieth birthday, my psychosexual development may have become a little set for your request.

thenoise

Quote from: Replies From View on January 05, 2019, 03:04:48 PM

I darent suggest current TV comedy, last time I tried that some smart arse told me that it hadn't been on TV for 10 years.

Replies From View

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on January 05, 2019, 04:02:45 PM
Sadly, I think, at weeks from my fiftieth birthday, my psychosexual development may have become a little set for your request.

Well I think you aren't doing your very best, and that is a great great shame.

Quote from: Replies From View on January 05, 2019, 04:07:41 PM
Well I think you aren't doing your very best, and that is a great great shame.

That confirms it.  You're a teacher yourself.

Replies From View

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on January 05, 2019, 04:21:55 PM
That confirms it.  You're a teacher yourself.

Okay I have asked you nicely, now I am telling you:  become a combined nonce and teacher to help me with my query above about comedy theme tunes, cheers.

St_Eddie

Does Mrs. Brown's Boys have a theme tune?  If so, then that's what the youth of today want to hear.  Philistinic cunts that they are.

kalowski

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 05, 2019, 05:11:51 PM
Does Mrs. Brown's Boys have a theme tune?  If so, then that's what the youth of today want to hear.  Philistinic cunts that they are.
Bow wow wow yippy yo yippy yay
Mrs Brown's in the motherfuckin house
Mrs Brown's Boys in the motherfuckin house

king_tubby

That same cunt used to hang out by York station when I worked in York 15 years back. Fucking 'hello! cheer up!' cunt. Stick your penny whistle up your arse, mate, and fuck off.

St_Eddie

Quote from: kalowski on January 05, 2019, 05:15:26 PM
Mrs Brown's in the motherfuckin house
Mrs Brown's Boys in the motherfuckin house

No, no, no.

That's Will Smith, that is.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: king_tubby on January 05, 2019, 07:58:49 PM
That same cunt used to hang out by York station when I worked in York 15 years back. Fucking 'hello! cheer up!' cunt. Stick your penny whistle up your arse, mate, and fuck off.

That's the one.