Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:22:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who'll watch the Watchmen series?

Started by Glebe, June 24, 2017, 08:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytarget

Quote from: Alberon on October 21, 2019, 10:58:58 PM
I watched half of it on my computer and half on my TV. Even with a sound bar it didn't sound half as clear as it did on my computer and there I've got decent speakers but nothing amazing. Visually, it looked shit on Sky compared with... other sources. Too much compression.
I think this is an HBO thing, I need to turn the subtitles on for this (and Succession, Silicon Valley, Westworld ...), now, no argument, I am getting deafer as a lifetime of ear-buse catches up with me, but on the same TV I can plainly hear shows from Amazon, Netflix and YouTube.

Anyway, strong opener, I enjoyed reading it.

Mobius

Quote from: MojoJojo on October 30, 2019, 12:28:59 PM
Is this streamin anywhere or will I need to hop into the torrentmobile?

this site has every show on it

www.watchepisodeseries1.com

olliebean

Quote from: easytarget on October 30, 2019, 10:56:20 PM
I think this is an HBO thing, I need to turn the subtitles on for this (and Succession, Silicon Valley, Westworld ...), now, no argument, I am getting deafer as a lifetime of ear-buse catches up with me, but on the same TV I can plainly hear shows from Amazon, Netflix and YouTube.

Anyway, strong opener, I enjoyed reading it.

Often I find the sound on a web-downloaded version of a programme (WEBDL or WEBRip) is miles better than on the TV-broadcast version (HDTV). I reckon the broadcasters add some horrible compression effect or something.

The other weird thing with HBO is you tend to get the previouslies and trailers in 2-channel stereo, i.e., only the left and right channels, and not the full surround.

kitsofan34

That was rather good again, especially seeing Laurie back. I am very intrigued where the Veidt storyline is going as well. Yep, so far so good.

kngen

I'm impressed by a show that will go out of its way to fake out Devo fans for no discernable reason.

SHE WAS KILLED BY SPACE JUNK in big title letters that Laurie walks past
Laurie: 'Play Devo'

Watching Devo fan: 'Oh goodie, Space Junk.'

Stereo plays Mongoloid.

Devo fan: 'Wha ...?'

I like it for other reasons, too - quite exceptional world-building that hasn't leaned at all heavily on the original.

Dropshadow

Even though Rorschach hasn't been miraculously resurrected for this series, I'm really enjoying it.

I see others are finding the dialogue hard to hear as much as I am. If you use VLC to watch the episodes there are ways to use the audio settings to make things much better. Try these two links:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-fix-movies-that-are-really-quiet-then-really-lo-5920290

https://www.geekality.net/2013/11/01/settings-for-vlc-dynamic-range-compression/

Piggyoioi

great soundtrack innit. other than that, hard to tell if what im watching is good untill i see how the story gets laid out - but i'm optimistic, and not just because i know the leftovers was goodtv.

kitsofan34

Part 1 of the 3 part soundtrack was released a few days back, Piggyoioi.

Piggyoioi

Quote from: kitsofan34 on November 08, 2019, 08:49:34 AM
Part 1 of the 3 part soundtrack was released a few days back, Piggyoioi.

there's the soundtrack to work this evening then.

chveik

it's really good isn't it, particularly episode 3. I like that they kept the same format than the leftovers, with some episodes focusing on one character only (next week it'll be the looking glass guy) (well, except for the veidt story, which is really good, funny and disturbing at the same time)

i've listened to the soundtrack a few times and I'm starting to really enjoy it now.

I hope it will be recommissioned. according to this thread, not many people seem to watch it.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: chveik on November 12, 2019, 03:05:02 AM
it's really good isn't it, particularly episode 3. I like that they kept the same format than the leftovers, with some episodes focusing on one character only (next week it'll be the looking glass guy) (well, except for the veidt story, which is really good, funny and disturbing at the same time)

i've listened to the soundtrack a few times and I'm starting to really enjoy it now.

I hope it will be recommissioned. according to this thread, not many people seem to watch it.

I am watching it and I think it's really very very good. I was never convinced by The Leftovers but this is a big hit for me.

I'm not a superfan of the source material, I read it once and quite liked it and thought the film was so-so, but this is just teeming with ideas and creativity, it's fantastically acted and structured, there are some terrific lines and scenes, and it's full of energy and surprise. At this point the only thing of which I'm really sure is that the slick politician guy has something big to hide.

I even love the soundtrack and I'm not really a NIN fan, though I guess I always thought Reznor was a talented kind of guy.

Good to hear that Looking Glass will get a focus next time, I've worried that the wonderful Tim Blake Nelson has been underused so far. Some of the other background characters might step up later, too: I want to know what Red Scare's deal is. And the spandex Tooms guy who showed up this week.

VelourSpirit

Really really love this. Seems like a lot of people are missing out on it, which is a shame because it totally deserves to bear the Watchmen name in my opinion. Police wearing masks, the KKK and the history of organized racist vigilantes - it's all perfect, it's absolutely what you should do with a sequel to Watchmen, and it's done with so much detail, intrigue and invention. I really recommend checking out the extra "Peteypedia" material here https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia, gives some really interesting elaboration each week.

Got to mention that Lube Man was wonderful. Also I'm sure other Mr Robot fans will be getting huge White Rose vibes from the Trieu woman. Funny having both programmes airing on the same night.

a peepee tipi

Really liked episodes 1 and 3, thought 2 was a bit boring. Mixed on the most recent one. Thought Lady Trieu's first scene was awful, but I like the added mystery her character has added. Have to say though, we're about to be past the halfway point and the slow drip of info makes it feel a bit meandering. Honestly, probably wouldn't keep watching if I wasn't a fan of the comic. I think a lot of my enjoyment so far has been from trying to connect the dots between the 30 years that have passed since, so I'm hoping the last five give this legs to stand on its own. It's building up quite a bit though, so I'm hoping the back half lives up, "tick tock" and shit.

Anybody finding Veidt's characterization weird? He was a monstrous egomaniac and it's sort of understandable how his "prison" would drive him mad, but I'm finding it a little over the top, even for a character who blew up NYC with an artificial psychic squid monster. Jeremy Irons is great though, so it's more of a nerd nitpick.

Ja'moke

The fifth episode is really good. So definitely stick with it. It focuses on Looking Glass and reminded me of those great Matt Jamison focused episodes of The Leftovers.

kalowski

Quote from: a peepee tipi on November 14, 2019, 03:42:40 AM
Really liked episodes 1 and 3, thought 2 was a bit boring. Mixed on the most recent one. Thought Lady Trieu's first scene was awful, but I like the added mystery her character has added. Have to say though, we're about to be past the halfway point and the slow drip of info makes it feel a bit meandering. Honestly, probably wouldn't keep watching if I wasn't a fan of the comic. I think a lot of my enjoyment so far has been from trying to connect the dots between the 30 years that have passed since, so I'm hoping the last five give this legs to stand on its own. It's building up quite a bit though, so I'm hoping the back half lives up, "tick tock" and shit.

Anybody finding Veidt's characterization weird? He was a monstrous egomaniac and it's sort of understandable how his "prison" would drive him mad, but I'm finding it a little over the top, even for a character who blew up NYC with an artificial psychic squid monster. Jeremy Irons is great though, so it's more of a nerd nitpick.
This is my view too. It's so deliberately opaque it's getting annoying. It's going to have to conclude all these little chunks really well, or I'll be very disappointed.
If the next episode focuses on Looking Glass that sounds good, he is a great character.

phantom_power

I love a bit of opaque so this is right down my street. Sometimes it is more about the journey than the destination

kalowski

Quote from: phantom_power on November 15, 2019, 08:25:46 AM
I love a bit of opaque so this is right down my street. Sometimes it is more about the journey than the destination
I know what you mean, but sometimes it's too opaque, and never gets cleared up. Will we really get a satisfactory answer to Veidt being in a world where he can pull giant embryos from a lake like a Chinese fisherman (Veidt, not the lake or the embryos), put them in a giant centrifuge, and later catapult dead bodies at an invisible portal? I hope so, but I'm not convinced.

kitsofan34

Surely it's just some kind of alternate/vr artificial reality prison?

kalowski

Quote from: kitsofan34 on November 15, 2019, 09:09:20 PM
Surely it's just some kind of alternate/vr artificial reality prison?
I don't really mean the place itself. I mean - why is he there and why would someone create that world?

gmoney

I reckon he's on Mars and is a prisoner of Dr Manhatten.

kalowski

Quote from: gmoney on November 15, 2019, 10:31:50 PM
I reckon he's on Mars and is a prisoner of Dr Manhatten.
I thought something similar, but still can't think why Dr Manhattan would make such an elaborate jail.

Alberon

I think he's somehow inside that golden statue, if he's not actually the statue itself.

Mister Six

Quote from: kalowski on November 16, 2019, 01:23:45 PM
I thought something similar, but still can't think why Dr Manhattan would make such an elaborate jail.

Or make a jail at all. Surely he doesn't give much of a shit that Veidt got away with it?

phantom_power

Quote from: Alberon on November 16, 2019, 04:29:26 PM
I think he's somehow inside that golden statue, if he's not actually the statue itself.

That's what I thought, which is why it is of him at his current age

rasta-spouse

I quite liked eps 3 and 4. The introduction of the FBI lady (a strong character, almost on the verge of a parody) helped the show become a little more coherent. As people have mentioned, the show's particular type of weirdness is a real barrier at times. I like weird, but the particular brand that Lindelof flogs is forced weirdness for the sake of it with very little payoff (see Lost and the Leftovers).  The guy writes quirky cheques that the show can't cash, which is the very opposite of Lynch.

With the Leftovers, there was a lot of interesting weirdness but I realised the writers didn't really know where the show was going. And the feeling that they're "winging it" can grate. Like the very end of the Leftovers, she turns up at his house and says "oh yeah, they thought we were the ones that disappeared. bye". That's it? That's what I'm left(over) with?

Ja'moke

The Leftovers was never really about the "mystery" though was it? Or at least, it wasn't for me. And I think right from the off Lindelof said they'd never be an answer to where people disappeared to. It was about how the various characters reacted to such an event, and the aftermath.

Mister Six

Yeah, the while point of the show is that our attempts to explain and categorise the random, chaotic universe with belief, stories or science are ultimately futile, and what matters is how we deal with that fact.

There's absolutely no objective evidence that she's telling the truth about travelling to the other side.

But this is probably better saved for a dedicated Leftovers thread.

ZoyzaSorris

I fucking love this. So styled out and imaginative.

Piggyoioi

i'm losing interest in this. too much mystery. it worked in the leftovers because all the characters we're on the same level as the audience, so we're really relating to their emotional reactions to this random, tragic conceit.

I generally find watching people act and do things without telling me why.... just boring, that mystery box shit can only keep my attention for a moderate while, not 5 fucking hours.

still love the soundtrack, and i'll still watch hoping it gets better in the answers department.