Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:41:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who'll watch the Watchmen series?

Started by Glebe, June 24, 2017, 08:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on November 15, 2019, 06:38:18 AM.
If the next episode focuses on Looking Glass that sounds good, he is a great character.
And it was good. Best episode so far. Love that it's making the link to the comic more apparent, and that Looking Glass was there on the day of the squid.
Shit appropriation of Schindler's List though.

ads82

Quote from: Piggyoioi on November 19, 2019, 10:27:31 PM
i'm losing interest in this. too much mystery. it worked in the leftovers because all the characters we're on the same level as the audience, so we're really relating to their emotional reactions to this random, tragic conceit.

I generally find watching people act and do things without telling me why.... just boring, that mystery box shit can only keep my attention for a moderate while, not 5 fucking hours.

still love the soundtrack, and i'll still watch hoping it gets better in the answers department.

Agree with this, it just feels like there's mystery upon mystery being added. I've pretty much lost interest at this stage.

a peepee tipi

Spot on Ja'moke, that was a good ep. Loved the fan service and we got a lot of answers there too so I'm happy with that. Agreed on the Schindler's List thing though, that and the Veidt tape really took me out of it. The tape was extraordinarily shit. The Veidt stuff is actually really starting to bother me, it's just not the same character at all.

Ja'moke

The next episode is even better. It reveals some backstory in a really visually appealing way (rather than just having a character monologue for five minutes) and gives an interesting reimagining of some parts of the comic book.

chveik

belter of an ep.

agree that the Schindler's List and Veidt tape stuff were weak, but the first series of the Leftovers was far clunkier at times.

Inspector Norse

Yeah, I really liked the backstory and development of the LG/Wade character, but the last part where it tied into the overall plot was unsatisfying. I like the mystery and unpredictability of the series and this just seemed a contrived and oddly uninspired direction to take the story.

Josef K

I'm loving this show but what were they thinking with that Schindler's List bit? The holocaust still happened in the Watchmen universe!
That and the weird pro-police violence attitudes, not to mention Laurie using a Captain Manhattan dildo despite the comics making a clear point about her sexual/emotional unfulfillment with him  are some serious missteps

kngen

What was the Schindler's List bit? Passed me by totally (have never seen SL so that's maybe why)

VelourSpirit

Quote from: kngen on November 20, 2019, 02:48:35 PM
What was the Schindler's List bit? Passed me by totally (have never seen SL so that's maybe why)

On Wade's date when the Kavalry woman tells him about the Spielberg film based on the dimensional incursion event. She mentions a girl whose red coat is the only part of the film that is in colour, which is actually from Schindler's List, implying that in this timeline Spielberg made a film about the squid tragedy instead of the Holocaust.

kngen

Quote from: TwinPeaks on November 20, 2019, 04:02:11 PM
On Wade's date when the Kavalry woman tells him about the Spielberg film based on the dimensional incursion event. She mentions a girl whose red coat is the only part of the film that is in colour, which is actually from Schindler's List, implying that in this timeline Spielberg made a film about the squid tragedy instead of the Holocaust.

Ahhh. Ta!

phantom_power

Right, so the reason we see Veidt eating cake each time we see him is that a year has passed between each visit:

https://news.avclub.com/damon-lindelof-clarifies-what-the-hells-going-on-with-a-1839939205

phantom_power

Was that Michael Imperioli in the last episode for about 8 seconds?

chveik

Quote from: phantom_power on November 22, 2019, 12:15:13 AM
Was that Michael Imperioli in the last episode for about 8 seconds?

that's what I thought too! looked for his his name in the imdb credits but he's not there

phantom_power

He is on Wikipedia for the show as playing himself

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: TwinPeaks on November 20, 2019, 04:02:11 PM

And they played with that reference during the latest episode.

kalowski

OK, I think enjoyed that. The history of hooded justice was interesting - I had a quick look in the book and you can see white skin under the hood, but they tried to explain that. What I wasn't so sure about was the narcissistic nature of Cap Metropolis, I need to have s proper read of "Under the Hood" to check that.

Ja'moke

I thought the reimagining of Hooded Justice (I've actually read the comic book now since the series started) was absolutely brilliant. It fit the narrative of this season so perfectly without completely altering the original comic.

Mobius

I feel like I missed a scene cus Hooded Justice and Captain Metropolis ended up in bed together very suddenly.

Mister Six

They brushed hands in a sexually charged manner in the scene before, and Metropolis said something about hoping he's the kind of man he thinks he is. So there was a through line.

Anyway, a storming episode, as was the one before it. I love that this and the last one have become more visually adventurous after a bland few opening salvos. The shot with the shattering mirrors in the Looking Glass episode was gorgeous. I did find some of the quick cuts, such as the shot of Looking Glass's hat with the foil in it when Trixie from Deadwood told him she wasn't a tinfoil-wearing nut job, a bit patronising. And odd, in a show that has until now pretty much steamed ahead with few concessions to the audience.

Still, the the entire memories episode, in particular its faux one-camera mega-sequence, was amazing! Wasn't so sure about the hypnosis stuff, as pre-Dr Manhattan sci-fi seems wrong to me, but I guess Moore had psychics in his original comic so it's not like it was a totally realistic universe to begin with. And the Hooded Justice reveal was brilliant, recontextualising the previous story without contradicting or betraying it - exactly the kind of thing Moore used to do all the time.

Quote from: phantom_power on November 21, 2019, 02:13:29 PM
Right, so the reason we see Veidt eating cake each time we see him is that a year has passed between each visit:

https://news.avclub.com/damon-lindelof-clarifies-what-the-hells-going-on-with-a-1839939205

Didn't anyone else pick up on this? I thought it was blindingly obvious.

CaledonianGonzo

I bet even Moore would look at what they did with Hooded Justice and think 'Actually, that's fucking great.

Dr Rock

Josef K

Is Veidt shagging the clones, that's what I want to know

Last ep was a blinder, nice to see a little Leftovers reunion. Best superhero origin story ever?

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Mister Six on November 26, 2019, 03:24:05 AM
Didn't anyone else pick up on this? I thought it was blindingly obvious.

To be honest I thought he just wanted to eat cake a lot.

phantom_power

Yeah, I thought he was just being a childish glutton

ZoyzaSorris

I'm really counting the days until the next ep with this one. Haven't had that sort of excitement for a TV prog for a while.

Mister Six

Quote from: phantom_power on November 26, 2019, 08:46:26 AM
Yeah, I thought he was just being a childish glutton

They make a point of saying that the first cake is for his first birthday/anniversary (this coming shortly after talk about Veidt being declared dead by the authorites) and the second cake has two candles in it.

I dunno, it seemed clear to me.

Alberon

So is time passing faster for Veidt or does his bits start earlier than the main narrative of the series?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on November 26, 2019, 06:10:51 AM
I bet even Moore would look at what they did with Hooded Justice and think 'Actually, that's fucking great.
Forgive me as I've not seen the show yet, but...Hooded Justice is white, wears a hood and has a noose round his neck. Short of calling him KKK Man, I'm not sure what else Moore could have done. So how would turning Hooded Justice into a black guy and ignoring all the obvious parallels to fascism make Moore think "actually, that's fucking great"?

chveik

I didn't care for it at all. worst episode of the lot by far