Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:42:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who'll watch the Watchmen series?

Started by Glebe, June 24, 2017, 08:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: a peepee tipi on December 03, 2019, 03:16:38 AM
As much as I loved ep 6, I think I'm done with this. No interest in the characters now that we have their backstories, plot is a weird mix of too much and not enough, Lady Trieu and the antagonists are boring and lame, they've really fucked Veidt, and the Manhattan thing isn't sitting well with me at all. Laurie having no real reaction to the Hooded Justice reveal beyond repeating what we just saw last week was kind of a letdown too, as was Frances Fisher's corny turn in response. Oh well

Corny? The fact she doesn't even try to pretend was great, and the business with the trap door remote was funny

Alberon

Quote from: Inspector Norse on December 03, 2019, 08:07:44 AM
I've thought every episode up to now has been pretty great, but this week was somewhat uneven - do we really need or want three backstory-heavy episodes in a row? - and then the twist at the end... Henry Winkler is strapping on his waterskis and the speedboat driver's revving the engine.

I thought the episode was seriously losing its way until the ending pulled it back someway towards interesting, but where do you go from there with a character like that? Veidt has spent a year since the last episode, which makes me think time is passing faster for him, but I've about given up the hope that anything in the show will be resolved satisfactorily by the end of the season.

Maybe it's just me and I've got used to it, but it doesn't even seem as visually or musically interesting as it was in the first few episodes.

Alberon

mjwilson

Quote from: Alberon on December 03, 2019, 05:18:51 PM
I thought the episode was seriously losing its way until the ending pulled it back someway towards interesting, but where do you go from there with a character like that? Veidt has spent a year since the last episode, which makes me think time is passing faster for him, but I've about given up the hope that anything in the show will be resolved satisfactorily by the end of the season.

I'm assuming all the Veidt stuff is flashback, this week's episode was probably 1 year before the rest of the show so we'll be caught up by next week I reckon.

What was Angela's last line this week? Couldn't make it out.

brat-sampson

She said:
Hey baby. We're in fuckin' trouble.

Which, considering the situation seems to be a bunch of rednecks in stockings against  Dr fucking Manhattan , I'm not fully sure I believe just yet.

phantom_power

Presumably he won't be up to full power straight away

kalowski

Quote from: phantom_power on December 03, 2019, 08:44:38 PM
Presumably he won't be up to full power straight away
I'm sure we saw him on Mars in episode one.

I don't give a hoot about Veidt, what the frick are they doing there? There'll have to be a magnificent reveal.

phantom_power

Quote from: kalowski on December 03, 2019, 10:03:07 PM
I'm sure we saw him on Mars in episode one.

That was old footage I think. He has been "in" Cal since we have known him

kalowski

Quote from: phantom_power on December 03, 2019, 10:13:18 PM
That was old footage I think. He has been "in" Cal since we have known him
Maybe you're right. Not sure why he wouldn't be at full power, though. Was there ever a time in the book other than when he was first reconstructing himself?

Ja'moke

It makes sense why Laurie thought Cal was "fucking hot."

I'm now wondering if the Veidt storyline is there to serve a similar function to the Black Freighter arc in the comic. Basically a side-story but with similar themes to the main narrative.

phantom_power

Quote from: kalowski on December 03, 2019, 10:22:46 PM
Maybe you're right. Not sure why he wouldn't be at full power, though. Was there ever a time in the book other than when he was first reconstructing himself?

We never saw him pretend to be a human before and lose/suppress all his powers accordingly. It wouldn't be out the question, and useful for the suspense of the plot, for it to take a while for him to get back to his normal self

Mister Six

Well I'm still thoroughly enjoying it, even if it's a wee bit more absurd than the comics. Really excited to see how it all turns out - even if the answer is "not really satisfyingly".

phantom_power

More absurd than a genetically engineered giant psychic squid deployed to New York to end the cold war?

Mister Six

Yes. Just a general low level of absurdity and cartoonishness pervading the whole thing; Lube Man, Panda cop, Commie cop, KKK hypno-devices, conveniently placed trapdoors, Lady Trieu the clichéd aloof and superior super-scientist, all the fucking oddness going on with Veidt.

Super technology aside, the comic was generally quite grounded in its day-to-day business, and really only Manhattan and the squid stand out as being beyond the norm. Veidt's super-cat maybe, but it's just standing in the background for the most part.

It's fine, I love the show, it's just a step further along the weirdness chart than I'd expected.

Alberon

Just been looking at the ratings. Apparently it's a hit. Not Game of Thrones big, but then very little could be, but seemingly quite strong.

Most of the viewers seem to come from digital catch-up services rather than watching the episode live. The general feeling is if Lindoff and co want to do a second season they'll probably get it.

Mister Six

Digital catch-up not really a surprise, given the audience this is written for. Glad it's doing well, but given how much of a proper follow-up it is to the comic (I originally thought no characters would return), and how it seems to be heading towards a proper conclusion, I sort of think a done-in-one effort might be for the best. Get to a nice, satisfying conclusion and leave it there.

Fishfinger

Just watched episode 8. It's arguably predictable without being disappointing. Long post-credits sequence. Everything to play for in the final episode.

Mister Six

Wait, there have been fucking post-credits sequences this whole time?!

Fishfinger

kidsick5000

Just keeps getting better.
It's stupid to hope that it gets wrapped as much as possible, right?
But there is a ton of things to wrap next week.

chveik

that was fucking ace

Quote from: kidsick5000 on December 09, 2019, 12:58:37 PM
It's stupid to hope that it gets wrapped as much as possible, right?
But there is a ton of things to wrap next week.

a 90 minutes episode maybe?

Inspector Norse

Well, I was very dubious about this new twist at the end of last week's episode, but this one was superbly done. The pacing of the series has been clunky, with too many backstory/blank-filling episodes in a row, but it's set up nicely for the seemingly sidelined main plot to roar back into action now.
Why didn't we get to see Dr Manhattan's real face?

kalowski

Quote from: Inspector Norse on December 10, 2019, 07:22:37 AM
Well, I was very dubious about this new twist at the end of last week's episode, but this one was superbly done. The pacing of the series has been clunky, with too many backstory/blank-filling episodes in a row, but it's set up nicely for the seemingly sidelined main plot to roar back into action now.
That annoyed me. I was waiting for some sort of big reveal which never came. One can only assume there was a reason otherwise I'll have to stay annoyed.

willy crossit

Quote from: Inspector Norse on December 10, 2019, 07:22:37 AM

i think it was just because Cal's actor is voicing him all along, even when he first meets Angela (I think?). But there was no story reason for him to look like Cal before he takes his form? So if Cal's voicing him all along you would need to either a. have some white bloke we haven't seen before playing him, then dub Cal's voice over or b. just hide his face

Inspector Norse

Hmm, I think it was someone else voicing him at first - when he took on Cal's body Angela commented that his voice was different.
Could have been the same guy doing a White Voice, I guess.

ZoyzaSorris

Sounded like the same guy doing a higher pitched voice to me.

Ja'moke

Yep, Yahya Abdul-Mateen, who plays Cal, also played all versions of Dr. Manhattan. There was a distortion put on his voice in the bar scenes.

phantom_power

They love showing Dr Manhattan dong don't they. Even in the Veidt play the actor playing him had his lad out

Head Gardener

it's so good I will be quite sad when it finishes next week, but The Witcher and The Boys and Saul are on the horizon