Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:35:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who'll watch the Watchmen series?

Started by Glebe, June 24, 2017, 08:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 10, 2019, 05:02:57 PM
it's so good I will be quite sad when it finishes next week, but The Witcher and The Boys and Saul are on the horizon

I've just seen the first episode of The Witcher, and while I was sceptical going in (mostly because Game of Thrones burned me out on these fantasy epics), it's pretty bloody good.

phantom_power

I had zero interest in The Witcher but the pre-screening review are intriguing me

Inspector Norse

I was prepared for it to be utter twaddle but it is picking up a lot of buzz. Then again, perhaps Netflix have only let people publish pre-reviews if they're positive about it. Ja'moke, is it "bloody good" in terms of depth and intelligence or is it more an action blast?

Head Gardener

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 10, 2019, 05:09:56 PM
I've just seen the first episode of The Witcher, and while I was sceptical going in (mostly because Game of Thrones burned me out on these fantasy epics), it's pretty bloody good.

ooh where, has it leaked?

VelourSpirit

I was sort of worried after episode 7 but that episode was stunning. Massive 'oh FUCK' moment when Angelas' granddad goes 'who's Judd?'
My favourite part of the comic is the stuff about Manhattan's perception of time. Allows for some really brilliant storytelling. When he points out the moment he falls in love with Angela, that was lovely and tragic. Imagine getting in a relationship because you already perceive the exact moment you fall in love with them! Still a wrong-un for pursuing a 14 year old Laurie though.
Part of me wasn't even expecting we'd get to see Dr Manhattan in the show, and now we've had a long scene with him meeting Veidt for the first time in years.
Now all I'm worried about it whether we'll actually see Looking Glass again or if he's flown the coop! I'd like him to be happy.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Inspector Norse on December 10, 2019, 05:25:02 PM
I was prepared for it to be utter twaddle but it is picking up a lot of buzz. Then again, perhaps Netflix have only let people publish pre-reviews if they're positive about it. Ja'moke, is it "bloody good" in terms of depth and intelligence or is it more an action blast?

I've only watched the first episode so far (they sent the first five episodes to preview), so it's hard to speak to the depth at this point. It has a lot of the usual fantasy tropes, talk of destiny and all that bollocks. But it looks fantastic and has some great big bloody battle scenes and sword fights. But what I liked most of all is that it has a subtle humour to it, kind of tongue-in-cheek in places, and Henry Cavill is brilliantly deadpan.

Also, I knew very little about The Witcher going in. I've never read the books or played the games. But I found that it was relatively straightforward to follow for a newcomer, especially compared to other recent fantasy adaptations, like His Dark Materials.

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 10, 2019, 05:56:24 PM
ooh where, has it leaked?

I'm a freelance writer who will be recapping the series, so I get cheeky preview screeners.

Piggyoioi

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 10, 2019, 06:51:28 PM
I'm a freelance writer who will be recapping the series, so I get cheeky preview screeners.

Ray Winstone voice : Leakkkkk it. LEAK IT YOU CUNT.

kalowski

Quote from: phantom_power on December 10, 2019, 03:44:25 PM
They love showing Dr Manhattan dong don't they. Even in the Veidt play the actor playing him had his lad out
And what a dong!

mjwilson

Quote from: phantom_power on December 10, 2019, 03:44:25 PM
They love showing Dr Manhattan dong don't they. Even in the Veidt play the actor playing him had his lad out

That wasn't his though.

phantom_power

His what?

The whole predestiny thing is a bit annoying as Dr Manhattan could have just teleported away at any point and taken Angela and the kids with him. Him dying because he saw it happen is a bit of a cheap dramatic device I think

Ja'moke

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 10, 2019, 06:51:28 PM
I've only watched the first episode so far (they sent the first five episodes to preview), so it's hard to speak to the depth at this point. It has a lot of the usual fantasy tropes, talk of destiny and all that bollocks. But it looks fantastic and has some great big bloody battle scenes and sword fights. But what I liked most of all is that it has a subtle humour to it, kind of tongue-in-cheek in places, and Henry Cavill is brilliantly deadpan.

Also, I knew very little about The Witcher going in. I've never read the books or played the games. But I found that it was relatively straightforward to follow for a newcomer, especially compared to other recent fantasy adaptations, like His Dark Materials.

I've watched the second episode The Witcher now, that one definitely has more depth. And also continues to be great fun. Strong cast too.

Fishfinger

MojoJojo

robotam

The Hooded Justice episode was good but would have been better if it wasn't directly connected to Watchmen.

Overall I didn't really like the show and thought the most recent episode was very bad.

SPOILERS FOR SEASON FINALE:
They did a good job of subverting my expectations of Watchmen by having the masterminds explain their plots BEFORE they executed them.
It ended up just being a standard superhero movie finale where the baddie has a special machine that needs to be stopped before the time runs out. The little display that showed how much of Dr Manhattan was left was funny though(20%, or whatever, was the bottom of his legs).
Also the end of the Ozymandias story might have worked better if the fact that Blake had been living with this huge lie had seemed to bother her at all. Weird to see her and Looking Glass basically agree that Rorschach was right at the end of the Watchmen comic.

Alberon

Meh, it was okay. The main plot was just a macguffin to hang the racial politics on. The ending was so standard and predictable. The final shot was just lazy and obvious.

It's fine, but there were some honking storytelling issues that let it down, like the way the amnesia story was stuffed into a late episode.

Don't know if they will mount a second season, but maybe they should just let it go now.

Alberon

Fuck that! I've just realised there has to be a second season!

The mystery of Lube Man must be resolved!

phantom_power

Well I thought it was fantastic. This episode and the series as a whole

Inspector Norse

Bit of a limp climax I thought, a bit of a mundane and predictable scenario and oddly flat in its presentation. And yeah, painfully obvious final shot.
I did like the way they tied the Veidt stuff in, though.

Inspector Norse

phantom_power

Some lovely touches of humour in what is generally a pretty dark and dour series as well. And I bet no-one guessed that the main weapon employed by the heroes would be a load of frozen teleported squid

Head Gardener

That was excellent alright and tied up neatly and very satisfying. One thing I was confused with though was the guy who we saw early on in an episode, who appeared to the real dad of Angela Abar's Kids. How did that  work as I assumed being with Cal the whole term of relationship they adopted the kids and not what looks like from a previous relationship. Anyone else know?

Ja'moke

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on December 17, 2019, 06:15:54 PM
That was excellent alright and tied up neatly and very satisfying. One thing I was confused with though was the guy who we saw early on in an episode, who appeared to the real dad of Angela Abar's Kids. How did that  work as I assumed being with Cal the whole term of relationship they adopted the kids and not what looks like from a previous relationship. Anyone else know?

The kids belonged to Angela's former cop partner, who was killed (along with his wife) during the Seventh Kavalry's White Night attack, and after that is when Angela and Cal adopted them (this was explained back in, I think, episode two, when Angela was in hospital). I think that guy who turned up on Angela's doorstep was meant to be the kids' real granddad.

Famous Mortimer

I only follow this via a podcast that absolutely hates it ("Struggle Session") so I presume I'm getting a misleading view of what's going on, but it does sound funny.

SPOILERS FOR SEASON FINALE:
It's to do with Adrian Veidt's semen and it being stolen by his old cleaning woman? Really?

rasta-spouse

I'm glad everything came together at the end...but it was a bit of a damp squib (squid!) really. It added up to very little, and that impenetrable baseline weirdness irked. Will watch a second season tho (is there one?).

Something that I've been thinking lately is that Tim Blake Nelson is probably ready to play George Formby.

phantom_power

Quote from: rasta-spouse on December 17, 2019, 07:16:00 PM
I'm glad everything came together at the end...but it was a bit of a damp squib (squid!) really. It added up to very little, and that impenetrable baseline weirdness irked. Will watch a second season tho (is there one?).

Something that I've been thinking lately is that Tim Blake Nelson is probably ready to play George Formby.

Very little? If nothing else it brought to the fore one of the biggest tragedies in black history that most people didn't know about, but I think there was much more to it than that regarding racial and, to a lesser extent, sexual politics

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 17, 2019, 06:48:59 PM
The kids belonged to Angela's former cop partner, who was killed (along with his wife) during the Seventh Kavalry's White Night attack, and after that is when Angela and Cal adopted them (this was explained back in, I think, episode two, when Angela was in hospital). I think that guy who turned up on Angela's doorstep was meant to be the kids' real granddad.

Ah that makes sense alright, cheers.

rasta-spouse

I'm very into the progressive vibe of the show but I felt the racial stuff -at times- was button-pushing, seeming like a thin coating on what they were trying to do. Look, ep1 scene1 the role-reversal police car stop - a deliberate calculation has been made there. Bold of the writers to do it though (and I'd like an improved 2nd season with these guys paying attention to the problems of S1).

Mainly I'm referring to the final ep when I say "added up to v little". Wiping out most of the antagonists with a laser beam and squid rain (the main reason for the meh Irons plotstrand!) was "easy". It's an interesting series (in that it's trying very hard to be interesting) but it could've been so much more. I just want something that feels like the real deal.

wooders1978

Let's be honest that fizzled out into a rather cliched and rushed conclusion but overall I felt the series was excellent - I also felt the racial stuff was far to on the nose and a bit cartoonish, they made their point but should probably dial it back a bit for series 2, I don't fancy sitting through another 10 episode lecture on how all white people are KKK members