Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:28:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who'll watch the Watchmen series?

Started by Glebe, June 24, 2017, 08:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 18, 2019, 07:20:42 AM
Let's be honest that fizzled out into a rather cliched and rushed conclusion but overall I felt the series was excellent - I also felt the racial stuff was far to on the nose and a bit cartoonish, they made their point but should probably dial it back a bit for series 2, I don't fancy sitting through another 10 episode lecture on how all white people are KKK members

+1

ZoyzaSorris

Bit of a game of two halves for me - first five episodes (up to and including looking glass origin story) was some of the most compelling, exciting and original tv I've seen in a good while, genuinely enthralled by the mysterious world, amazing visuals and music, just inspiring. To wrap it up in a few more episodes and fulfil its potential would have been almost impossible - and so it proved. I still very much enjoyed the last few episodes but they very much brought it down to earth from absolute genius to merely very enjoyable and masterfully executed but less groundbreaking fare.

ZoyzaSorris

Feel like they had way too much to get through and could easily have made it two or three series.

Waking Life

I enjoyed it but similarly underwhelmed overall. From watching it, they seemed to be confused in terms of setting it up for a self-contained season or a longer series. I think a self-contained season might have worked if they'd brought in a lot of key elements at an earlier point / not sought to create a sense of mystery in the first five or so episodes.

I haven't seen The Leftovers, but part of me felt like the writer was almost overcompensating for the lack of 'answers' in Lost and tried to tie up too much in one go. Or could just be lack of awareness of a longer term commission (although I thought HBO commissioned things with a full arc outline?).

mjwilson

Lindelof has been saying that the ideas he had were exactly enough for one season, they didn't have anything where they said "oh let's leave that for next year", and that as far as he's concerned that's it for now (unless inspiration strikes).

ZoyzaSorris

Pacing felt funny though. Could easily have had a whole series of episodes like the first five and a whole series of episodes out of the gist of the final four:

Mobius

I liked some parts of it, looked great and that, but towards the end I realised I didn't give a shit about any of these characters. Lady Trieu's plan being undone by frozen squid was funny but a bit anticlimactic. I dunno maybe if there was a second season or it was leading to more I'd have enjoyed it more, but once it ended it all felt a bit pointless.

rasta-spouse

Came into this wary of anything with the Lindelof name on it, to me he's a sizzle no steak guy - sure lots of bells, tricks and whistles - but ultimately unsatisfying. So have come out of it with my opinion unchanged. But can't say there aren't some good frills in it.

It's a shame there are no plans for another season - with some work this could be great tv.

kngen

Bit of a True Detective S1, this. Some moments of brilliance and one episode with some of the best TV I've ever seen ... then a flubbed finale. Still, like True Detective S1, the ride was fun, and still miles better a lot else on offer.

ZoyzaSorris

That was literally the comparison I was coming to post myself!

kngen

Heh! Makes me somewhat less enthusiastic about a second season, too. (Nah, I really hope there is. Lots of potential there ...)

Dex Sawash

I've watched it all and not shat myself. Not scary at all. The pre-release trailers had a very creepy vibe. First 5 or so were better, I reckon.
Could have had a lot more cocks 6.9/10

Small Man Big Horse

Only just caught up with the final couple of episodes but here's some random thoughts:

I was never that madly in love with the series but I liked it well enough, and oddly preferred the final four episodes to the first five, unlike nearly everyone else I know.
I thought they fucked Dr Manhattan's death, I really cared about the character but when he died I didn't find myself feeling anything.
Senator Scenery Chewer (aka the bloke from dodgy CBS show Zoo) was just a bit too over the top and hammy for my liking, it's a shame he wasn't a little more subtle.
Jean Smart's having an amazing five years or so what with this, Legion and Fargo, and I can't wait to see what she does next.
I now feel the need to see Jeremy Irons do a pantomime.

Overall: It was pretty good, not quite what it should have been, but nowhere near the disaster I thought it might be. Should have had a lot more cocks. 7.1/10

kngen

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 20, 2019, 01:02:32 AM
I've watched it all and not shat myself. Not scary at all. The pre-release trailers had a very creepy vibe. First 5 or so were better, I reckon.
Could have had a lot more cocks 6.9/10

Between this and The Righteous Gemstones, there's been cocks aplenty. Year of the cock, that what I'm calling 2019.

Mister Six

Echoing all the "fell at the last hurdle" sentiments. It wasn't nearly as crushingly awful and retroactively series-destroying as the end of True Detective S1, but it definitely felt rather workmanlike and disappointingly conventional. Held my attention all the way through, mind, but felt very flimsy after the hyper-dense world building of the first few episodes, and didn't really feel like it was saying anything about the themes it had evoked (other than "extremism is bad even when it's directed at extremists", maybe?). Veidt getting clonked on the head was like something out of a Chuckle Brothers episode, too.  And not killing off anyone notable other than the main baddies at the end felt like cop-out bullshit, especially as a follow-up to Watchmen, for Christ's sakes. Faceless cops all die but Red Scare is able to hide in his car?

Still, I don't regret watching the show and I'm very glad it exists.

kittens

wow, i was sure that was kim catrall. and in legion too. i was like damn kim catrall seems to really like being in superhero stuff now. she sucked in this one. a lot of this show was very bad but some of it was very good. leftovers was best tv ever so  i am disappointed. if they do a second series i will watch and it will probably be better but it would be nice for mr lindelof to do something better now. cheers

Alberon

It didn't seem likely, but this seems to be confirmation that there will be no season 2.

QuoteHBO programming chief Casey Bloys told USA TODAY Wednesday that Lindelof, the co-creator of ABC's "Lost" who also created HBO's "The Leftovers,"  "brilliantly took this graphic novel and just kind of broke it open and created a whole new world," in which Regina King starred as a masked cop in Tulsa, in a 2019 when Robert Redford is president.

"It's really in Damon's thinking about what he wants to do. If there's an idea that excited him about another season, another installment, maybe like a 'Fargo,' 'True Detective' (anthology) take on it, or if he wants to do something different altogether. We're very proud of 'Watchmen,' but what I'm most interested in what Damon wants to do."

The answer: Nothing.

Lindelof told USA TODAY this week that he's told the story he wants to tell and has no interest in a second season, though he's "given my blessing" to HBO should it want to pursue a new installment with another writer-producer.

But Bloys concedes that's unlikely to happen: "It would be hard to imagine doing it without Damon involved in some way."

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2020/01/16/watchmen-second-hbo-season-wont-happen-after-creator-bails/4491269002/

chveik

kidsick5000

Not sad.
That was the perfect TV season.
We know where things are going without giving obvious gratification.

I hope HBO keeps its nerve and lets the word of mouth of this perfect single season grow

SavageHedgehog

This is available to watch for free on HBO's site this weekend (commemorating Juneteenth) from today for anyone interested. You have to enter your E-mail address and DOB but that's all.

bgmnts

So Alan Moore was wrong and it IS able to be adapted into other mediums?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: bgmnts on June 19, 2020, 12:35:30 PM
So Alan Moore was wrong and it IS able to be adapted into other mediums?
Is it really an adaptation, or just telling a new story with a handful of "Moore's" characters?

Mister Six

Yeah, it's not an adaptation, it's a sequel in another medium.

SavageHedgehog

Correction; it seems the first 6 episodes are available to watch free outside the US, Episode 7 came up with "not available in your region" and episodes 8 and 9 seem to be the same. Very annoying, I can understand why they might Region Lock the whole series but why just the last three?

Had mixed feelings about what I saw. A lot of good stuff, a lot of sizzle leading to what I suspect may not be a very satisfying steak. Not least as I'm Vegetarian. Louis Gossett If was great (and great to see again) though.

bgmnts

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 19, 2020, 12:39:58 PM
Is it really an adaptation, or just telling a new story with a handful of "Moore's" characters?

Are they not his characters? Something I'm missing?

Mister Six

Perhaps he means that the characters are sufficiently different that they're not Moore's any more?

Or he's referring to the fact that DC still owns the rights.

Ant Farm Keyboard

It can be two other things:
- Moore didn't completely create the characters, they were based on existing Charlton Comics properties he wasn't ultimately allowed to reuse, forcing him and Gibbons to come up with slightly different characters.
- His name is missing from all adaptations at his own request, as he doesn't want to appear to be involved. That way, the characters aren't really his anymore.

Mister Six

I know the Watchmen characters started off as ersatz versions of the Charlton ones, but they really are substantially different in the finished book.