Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:52:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who'll watch the Watchmen series?

Started by Glebe, June 24, 2017, 08:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 31, 2018, 10:03:34 PM
I would watch more Rorschach saying Rorschach things and doing Rorschach stuff.

Alan Moore reading excerpts of Rorschach's diary is delightful. He gives it some welly.

Oh and this is a stupid idea. Why can't people just do something new?

Mister Six

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 31, 2018, 09:45:28 PM
If they're going to diverge, update, whatever, why not just do something different?

The themes, characters, dialogue and plot of Watchmen are all strong, it's just that everything else is basically a period piece. Even with a nuclear war with North Korea on the horizon it still feels like a relic. So take the good ideas, and the basic concept of diverging timelines with the arrival of Dr Manhattan, and give us an alternate reality 2018 that's still grappling with the same anxieties we have now.

Otherwise to might as well just go read the comic again.

Glebe

HBO's 'Watchmen' Pilot Casts Regina King, Don Johnson, Four Others.

Quote"Some of the characters will be unknown," he said. "New faces. New masks to cover them. We also intend to revisit the past century of Costumed Adventuring through a surprising yet familiar set of eyes...and it is here we will be taking our greatest risks."

I'm really losing interest in this.

phantom_power

I don't know. I think that is a better idea than just another rehash of the comic. It's all in the execution I suppose

gatchamandave

Hmmm...what's the betting they will try and incorporate material from the thoroughly misguided Before Watchmen series ?

bgmnts

See I assumed most Watchmen fans would hate everything except the comic books. So who is this for?

samadriel

Quote from: bgmnts on May 25, 2018, 10:46:35 AM
See I assumed most Watchmen fans would hate everything except the comic books. So who is this for?

Well, outside of the main comic, 'everything' only includes the movie and 'Beyond Watchmen' (and the RPG handbook, I guess?), so the 'purity' of fans' enthusiasm hasn't really been tested very much.  I'd rather they'd change their approach -- maybe a bit like how the Preacher TV series has diverged from the comic -- than do another slavish Zach Snyder-esque effort.

Famous Mortimer

I realise there's a rant of mine on the previous page, but...does anyone actually want this? I mean, some of you are really looking forward to it, but were any of you, before it was announced, going "I sure hope they do something else with the Watchmen characters?"

Deyv

I keep forgetting a TV show is being made, and when I'm reminded it elicits a sigh of low anxiety from me. I'm a fan of the comic, even if it did lead to too many bad imitators, and even the film has its merits, even if they are shallow.

There is a theoretical target audience for this show, though. Which is more than a completely new, risky idea has. Don't get me wrong, I think you're right, I just don't think it's how executives think.

Anyway, it might be really, really, really good!

Glebe

'Watchmen': Jeremy Irons To Star In Damon Lindelof's HBO Pilot.

He's already part of the DC-verse as Alfred, but who will he play in this? YOU decide!

mothman

chveik

Reznor and Ross will make the soundtrack apparently

PlanktonSideburns

Good to see paul ross getting to work after the whole dogging thing.

I hear there's going to be a reznor/Paul ross collaboration out in Feb also

QDRPHNC

Glebe

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 08, 2019, 06:54:51 PM
Official teaser is out.

Can't decide if this is good or stupid.

Hmm. Yeah, actually quite a dramatic little tease, but... yeah. We'll see.

chveik

still cautiously optimistic. tbh I don't care about Watchem at all, but Lindelof is an incredible screenwriter when he works for TV.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Glebe on June 27, 2018, 11:40:27 PM
'Watchmen': Jeremy Irons To Star In Damon Lindelof's HBO Pilot.

He's already part of the DC-verse as Alfred, but who will he play in this? YOU decide!

Just about to watch the teaser but before I do, my guess is... Moloch? Or perhaps one of the detectives.

Norton Canes

Hang on, what?!?! What the fuck's this?! I haven't been reading this thread at all have I.

Urinal Cake

mothman

Given the near-total lack of any familiar character names on IMDb, and the presence of Jeremy Irons as an elderly Ozymandias, looks like it's following on from the events of the film/book.

EDIT: ha! Called it.

Quote from: mothman on July 01, 2018, 09:31:59 PM
An aged Ozymandias, I reckon.

kalowski

Quote from: mothman on July 01, 2018, 09:31:59 PM
An aged Ozymandias, I reckon.
That's who he looks like in the trailer. But Rorshach is dead, the Comedian is dead, Dr Manhattan fucked off. Not really interested in new characters.

mothman

There is also, I note, a character called Mothman. Fame (non-supernatural) at last! He'sonly in two episodes. And I didn't see a Night Owl or a Silk Spectre listed.

Mister Six

Hopeful about this. Exactly recreating the comic is pointless - especially so after Snyder's shitfest - so just stealing some imagery and themes and going mad with a Rorschach army seems like a decent solution.

I will admit that 99 percent of my optimism is based on the fact that Damon Lindelof is behind it, though. The Leftovers became sublime once he left the book behind and went off on his own weird tangents.

mothman

I binged the whole Leftovers run while on holiday last year. Terrific. I really hope his involvement in this equates to a guarantee of excellence.

mjwilson

Trailer out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yKq1PRvPJQ

Use of "Life on Mars" is a bit much but otherwise looks quite fun.

Golden E. Pump

Sounds like a show for poofters to me mate.

Mister Six

Well up for this judging by the trailer, but how much sense will it make to someone unfamiliar with the comic? Was the Snyder film that popular? Even the trailer is making off-handed references to Veidt and Dr Manhattan without explaining who they are or why they're significant.

mothman

I imagine there'll be a few reminders salted throughout the first few episodes. Can't quite tell what's going on from the new trailer; policemen are now wearing masks for thier own safety? And people are being murdered by Rorschach fanboys? Police being killed, or previous superheroes - so, like in the original. I wonder if that is how they'll ensure no involvement from Night Owl or Silk Spectre (who, like Ozymandias, would probably be too old to get up to much anyway)...

Mister Six

I assume Jeremy Irons is old Ozymandias, who's faked his death (hence one candle on his birthday cake - his new identity is only a year old).

Actual plot unclear, but yeah - looks like Rorschach's diary was found and printed at the end of Watchmen, leading to a bunch of nutter vigilantes. Those vigilantes started targeting cops (for not doing their jobs properly?) and the cops started wearing masks to hide their identities. Massive escalation, basically.

The rest of it - the conspiracy, the lad surrounded by dead people etc - I have no idea.

And yes, reminders will be sprinkled. But what about people who have never read the comic or seen the Snyder film? I'll be interested to see how they explain the significance of all that to the newcomers...