Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:36:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who'll watch the Watchmen series?

Started by Glebe, June 24, 2017, 08:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I started writing a reply to this, but then it turns out I'd already done one on page 1 and was just repeating myself.

I wonder if, er, fans of "Frankenstein" were bummed out when the character kept being used in other stuff and had new versions of the story told, all that? I admit it makes me a sad old man, but that's really how I feel about this. I appreciate criticising anything for using the Watchmen characters is silly, as Moore mined the entire history of fantastic literature for "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", but still.

I'm sure the show will be good. I'll shut up now.

kalowski

A very interesting premiere, but once again spoilt by under recorded dialogue. At first I just assumed I was losing my hearing, but other ambient noise was loud enough. They seemed to have recorded the dialogue at a whisper. I went through every sound setting on my TV to find one that worked ("Old man" it was called)
This distracted from the overall quality, which is a shame because there was so much to take in.
Dr Manhattan is still on Mars, it seems, but he's got to make an appearance later, surely. And I assume Jeremy Irons is Veidt. I think what I'm saying is that I don't want it to diverge too much from the comic, so keep giving me these little nuggets.
Definitely watching the next episode anyway!

Alberon

I watched half of it on my computer and half on my TV. Even with a sound bar it didn't sound half as clear as it did on my computer and there I've got decent speakers but nothing amazing. Visually, it looked shit on Sky compared with... other sources. Too much compression.

I thought the episode was very good. I've not read any of the non-Alan Moore Watchmen but I'm quite familiar with the original. I do wonder how this plays with people not familiar with it?

It's not Watchmen proper, but I'm very interested to see where they go with this.

Mobius

I've never watched the movie and know very little about the comics, and I really enjoyed this. Really strong first episode. Lots of interesting little world-building bits that make me think 'what's going on here'

So are any of the characters we've seen actually superheroes? I'm a bit confused if this is about superheroes...

Mister Six

Quote from: Mobius on October 22, 2019, 05:28:38 AM
I've never watched the movie and know very little about the comics, and I really enjoyed this. Really strong first episode. Lots of interesting little world-building bits that make me think 'what's going on here'

So are any of the characters we've seen actually superheroes? I'm a bit confused if this is about superheroes...

Not really a spoiler since it's all in the comic, but there's only one properly superhuman character in the Watchmen universe (clue: he's the blue glowing fella on Mars). The rest are all vigilantes, albeit well-trained ones (and one fella who performs an absurd superhuman feat in the comic but is really just supposed to be a very well trained human).

It would appear that there are currently no active superheroes outside of the police force. But I suspect that Jeremy Irons may be playing someone from the original comics. That has yet to be confirmed though.

wooders1978

Had a feeling Jeremy irons characters servants were robots or similar?

chveik

Quote from: Mister Six on October 22, 2019, 06:30:11 AM
That has yet to be confirmed though.

it's pretty much confirmed (imdb credits)

NJ Uncut

Quote from: wooders1978 on October 22, 2019, 07:25:16 AM
Had a feeling Jeremy irons characters servants were robots or similar?

Thought this was obvious?

It's good of this show to have Elena Dragunova from Xcom 2

Chollis

wooders1978

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 22, 2019, 11:28:54 AM
Thought this was obvious?

It's good of this show to have Elena Dragunova from Xcom 2

I guess it probably was, specially if I of all people clocked it

Mister Six

Quote from: Chollis on October 22, 2019, 01:14:17 PM
Jeremy Irons is Ozzy Mandem right?

Unless it's a spectacularly odd fakeout, I think this is locked in.

Re: the robots, it's worth remembering that Ozzy had Bast, a genetically altered giant cat thing, in the comics. Is he growing servants now, too? Assuming he is that bloke.

Quote from: chveik on October 22, 2019, 08:14:57 AM
it's pretty much confirmed (imdb credits)

They're not always reliable though, especially in something new.

Alberon

If it isn't him it seems bloody odd to invent a brand new character who is exactly the same as Ozzy.

phantom_power

Regina King is really fucking great isn't she. She should be in everything

NJ Uncut

kitsofan34

https://youtu.be/MQBmALfSFEU

Reznor and Ross are gonna release three soundtrack albums for this over the next two months. Get, your, fookin mutton chops round that taster ya bastard.

chveik

good news. I'm not quite sure yet if their music works for the atmosphere of the series though.

I loved that episode. Was totally sucked in to the world.

Dex Sawash

Trailers look a bit creepy, will I be shitting myself if I watch this?
I can just about watch the original Scooby Doo but not the reboots.

Dex Sawash

Mister Six

Quote from: Dex Sawash on October 29, 2019, 11:01:55 AM
Trailers look a bit creepy, will I be shitting myself if I watch this?
I can just about watch the original Scooby Doo but not the reboots.

It's tense and intense, but not scary or even spooky.

The Boys thread is here: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,73794.0.html

Surprised by the lack of chatter about the second episode, but now I come to sit down and write something myself, I'm a bit stumped. That's the nature of a long-form mystery, I suppose, especially when the main mystery is "What exactly is going on?"

Great performances all round, and more intriguing clues and things to ponder, but still not a ton to go on yet in terms of plotting.

The Klan reveal was something, and I was left reeling as much as Angela was. Intrigued by how much racism and racial politics is baked into this story, and whether it will draw any conclusions other than "racism is bad" (then again, does it have to? I don't think the comic said anything in particular about the threat of nuclear war).

I also liked the trigger warning at the start of the Hooded Justice biopic, and  quite like the idea of an American liberal paradise as a setting for the story, even if it lends the show a vaguely reactionary tone.

And were those Nite Owl II's goggles that Angela was wearing?

The only thing that's sticking in my craw at the minute is Red Menace, the cartoon Russian Communist detective. He's substantially more cartoony than anything else in either the comic or show, so I'm - not expecting, exactly, but strongly hoping - that he'll turn out to have been method-acting his detective character in order to hide his true identity from the Kavalry.

kalowski

It's intriguing, but it's certainly keeping its cards close to its chest. And the whole "play" about Dr Manhattan felt very odd. Didn't feel like something the Veidt from the comic would ever do.

Puce Moment

I like it, but I find the smash bang wallop fighting stuff a bit shit. I guess I don't really care about that stuff, so it stands out as particularly pointless.

I have to say, they have well and truly moved away from the comics. Refreshing!

Mister Six

Quote from: kalowski on October 29, 2019, 03:12:37 PM
It's intriguing, but it's certainly keeping its cards close to its chest. And the whole "play" about Dr Manhattan felt very odd. Didn't feel like something the Veidt from the comic would ever do.

I dunno, he was always up his own arse, and having achieved his life's goal and spent the next 33 years with nothing to do but fuck about making clones, he's clearly going spare. Didn't seem massively out of character with that in mind.

I loved that his play was so shit, too. Not that clever are you, Ozy, you cunt?

Ja'moke

The play was definitely my favourite part of the episode. Just the right level of ridiculous, which is needed to offset what is pretty heavy subject matter elsewhere in this show.

I felt like the second episode was a lot of filling in the gaps of things mentioned in the premiere, so for that reason it didn't hit quite as hard as last week. I've seen the third episode though and it's a cracker. It begins tying together OG Watchmen with the new story in quite an intriguing way.

thugler

Thought this was awful. Didn't understand what was going on. Rejected nine inch nails tracks every 2 minutes. Lots of crowbarred in actions scenes. What it's got to do with watchmen I've no idea. Have seen this getting raved about elsewhere, what?

rasta-spouse

Lindelof is the biggest sizzle with no trace of steak timewaster out there.

Enrico Palazzo

Gave up halfway through the second episode and feel good about it. Can see it turning especially shit really soon.

Ja'moke

Quote from: rasta-spouse on October 30, 2019, 07:36:46 AM
Lindelof is the biggest sizzle with no trace of steak timewaster out there.

And yet was behind one of the best shows of the last 10 years in The Leftovers.

MojoJojo

Is this streamin anywhere or will I need to hop into the torrentmobile?