Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:27:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Love/Hate:Personality/music

Started by gazzyk1ns, February 18, 2004, 11:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazzyk1ns

I'll try to keep this simple in order to avoid confusion. There are many artists who seem like right idiots - arrogant, thick, or otherwise - but you can't help loving their work. Who are they? Here are two prime examples:

Axl Rose - Arrogant as hell, always having terrible tantrums about nothing.

Oasis - I can't even begin to imagine what Liam's problem is. I find some of their music "excellent" but I wince every time I'm listening to them and I visualise that twattish unibrow gorilla. It hurts on so many levels but in the long run, when the pros and cons are weighed up... it is worth it. A bit like receiving a necessary kiss of life from Michael Portillo.

Any more nominations?

european son

Oasis
Radiohead
The Beatles (John AND Paul)
Sex Pistols
Primal Scream (Bobby especially)
Morrissey
Madonna
Happy Mondays
The Doors
Lou Reed

all made great music... all were/are/can be total wankers. and i stopped the list there purel because ten is a nice round number. most popstars are cunts.

gazzyk1ns

Hehe I suppose that's a very good point...

european son

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Hehe I suppose that's a very good point...

heh, sorry to put a dampner on your thread gazzy, if it helps i'll reiterate my favourite example of this, because he made such good music whilst at the same time being such a cunt

John Lennon

MonkeyDrummer

Paul Weller definitely turned into a cunt, actually he probably always was.

fanny splendid

Vermschneid Mehearties

Tim Booth, and James. Very arrogant, ignorant and pretentious people, who make unfailingly brilliant music. Although I guess that should be made now. *sigh*

dan dirty ape

Damon Albarn - there's a bit in the South Bank Show edition on Blur which shows him throwing a rock star paddy at a brass section at a recording session, that just makes you think 'you actually are a bit of a cock, aren't you/' Plenty of stories in John Harris' Britpop: The Last Party book which cast him in a less than flattering light, and almost every interview I see with him leaves me feeling he's a man who's a little overenthused with himself. Yet...he wrote 'For Tomorrow', and 'This Is A Low' and 'Luminous' and 'Beetlebum' and 'To The End' etc.

James Brown - wifebeating bullying shit, great records

That's before we get onto the swathes of MCs who are vocally homophobic and mysogynistic, yet  I still listen to em cause they're..erm..dope.

23 Daves

I seem to have reached a point in my life now where I genuinely find most pop stars and wanna-be pop stars incredibly funny rather than annoying.  I find it impossible to understand how people could possibly care about how cool they seem and adopt all the necessary postures.  It's like having your kid brother trapped in a grown person's body.  How many 30 year olds do you know who act like Liam Gallagher?  If I behaved like that walking down the street, I'd be beaten up twenty times on the way home tonight.  He's like the cocky kid in the school playground who always answers back teacher.

Paul McCartney actually irritates the fuck out of me with his little ego tantrums and VERY false "matey" public persona (it's fairly well documented that he shoved Ringo Starr up against a wall once and threatened him for releasing a solo album on the same day as his) but I love "Abbey Road", and without McCartney's contributions to that set it's highly likely it would have been arse. The song cycle at the end was pretty much his idea.

I think Ian Brown is a dribbling idiot these days as well, and John Squire a complete windbag, but that doesn't kill my respect for The Stone Roses output one iota.

I'm sure there are loads of others.  My opinion on Mark E Smith is often divided - I think he spouts a lot of dated drivel of the "I'm from a proper working class family, me" variety, and obviously has a few problems with his aggression, but he comes out with some nuggets of pure sense as well that I always wish I'd thought of first.

Silver SurferGhost

european son's right, *cunt* is practically the job description.
If my love of music was interdependent on a love of the musicians producing it then I'd most likely never listen to another note.

I'd agree with Daves about Macca, easily as big a twat as Lennon, with a side order of smug hypocrisy.
He's simply always had the better PR, probably going back to the days when he was The Pretty One in Thembeatles.

Lou Reed is diminished in my eyes over his appalling treatment of John Cale more than anything else,
even if they have made it up/fallen out again
(delete as applicable depending on what week this is).

Oasis, while musically they're a poor man's Beatles, tempramentally they're a poor man's Kinks.

And while we're on the subject of  Great  Wifebeaters In Music, let's not forget Ike Turner.

Apparently Keith Moon could be loveable and generous one minute and a total bastard the next, for fairly obvious reasons.
Ditto his bingeing-chum and fellow Nazi-uniform-prankster Viv Stanshall.
With an hefty dollop of fearsome wit on the side, like a rock and roll Stephen Fry.
Oh come on, I've gone for nearly five posts without mentioning my hero Vivian, cut me some slack

Rod Stewart counts just for his unforgiveable shafting of his bandmates in The Faces in favour of his solo career,
and especially for his treatment of Ronnie Lane.
Regretting it 20 years later and paying his medical bills doesn't make up for it in my book.

Controversial one this perhaps, and I've been a fan of the music for about 25 years, so it ain't easy to say,
but I'd like to add Pete Townshend to the list, unfortunately.
There are plenty of people who will attest to his kindness and warmth, and as they mostly know him I can't argue,
but I've never taken to him as a person for some reason.
And yet he's still managed to disappoint me summat rotten lately.
Not as you might imagine for the paedo accusations (who knows for sure either way), but for his general arrogance
and the last decade and a half of pissing all over his own musical legacy.

And I'm being generous saying decade and a half.

And don't even get me started on Mick Jagger...

smoker

Nearly Annually

Joe Jackson. Three or four great pop tunes penned, absolute irredeemable prick apparently. You can tell from these, can't you.

( Is She Really Going Out With Him? , It's Different For Girls , Steppin' Out - by the way. )

NattyDread

Quote from: "Nearly Annually"Joe Jackson. Three or four great pop tunes penned, absolute irredeemable prick apparently. You can tell from these, can't you.

( Is She Really Going Out With Him? , It's Different For Girls , Steppin' Out - by the way. )

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. For some reason, I've always taken a severe disliking to that guy's face, which is someting I'm less than prone to.

Cambrian Times

Jarvis Cocker

Fantastic Songs. Fantastic bloke.

Ok "We Love Life" was a bit cock, but "Heavy Nite" by Relaxed Muscle more than makes up for it.