Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:31:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do any CaB scum play classic, vanilla Doom online?

Started by ASFTSN, June 28, 2017, 11:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASFTSN

Every now and then I dabble in this for a while - I've spent a couple of hours messing around on Doomseeker and Zdaemon over the last couple of weeks.  Original Doom (2) is a blast to play online, and although I'm pretty shite at it I've clocked just enough hours into these damn games over the decades to feel I sort of know what I'm doing, unlike any console FPS.  Plus it's one of the only games my ancient creaking laptop can run at proper speeds.

My preference has been for Zdaemon which seems to have an inclination to proper classic Dooming without crazy mods like Brutal Doom or other silly stuff.

Any CaBers mebbe up for some deathmatching at some point?

Bazooka

Played Quake online, but never Doom.I'd be up for trying it on my also  piss poor gaming laptop.

asids

I played through Doom 1 and 2 on Steam a while ago with ZDoom or some other source port, can't remember. Never really had a go at online though.

TheWoodenSpoon

Sure thing. I'd rather use Zandronum or Odamex though, since they're just better than ZDaemon.

ASFTSN

Quote from: TheWoodenSpoon on June 29, 2017, 08:59:26 AM
Sure thing. I'd rather use Zandronum or Odamex though, since they're just better than ZDaemon.

I've got Zandronum, but my main reasons for using Zdaemon seem to be there's more folks interested in not playing with superguns, megaman shite, etc etc.  I just wanna play some standard FFA on gothicdm.wad.

Blue Jam

No, but I have just picked up playing the campaign in nu-skool Doooom after abandoning it a few months back. I can only play it in short bursts as I find it a bit repetitive, and I'm playing it on Too Young To Die difficulty even though I know most people like playing it on Ultra-Violence. tbh it's probably not really for me... anyone else playing the latest version?

TheWoodenSpoon

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 30, 2017, 05:37:34 PM
No, but I have just picked up playing the campaign in nu-skool Doooom after abandoning it a few months back. I can only play it in short bursts as I find it a bit repetitive, and I'm playing it on Too Young To Die difficulty even though I know most people like playing it on Ultra-Violence. tbh it's probably not really for me... anyone else playing the latest version?
Been there, done that :U

Great game, although I soon fell back into my habits of Classic Doom. I'm actually surprised you can only tolerate short bursts of Doom 2016; I suspect the noobmode difficulty of I'm Too Young To Die is a contributing factor since when everything you're up against dies at the drop of a hat and you only take puny amounts of damage in return there's nothing to coerce you into getting better at the game and finding new ways to kill stuff more efficiently. Instead it just turns into a mindless shooting gallery where mistakes aren't punished, etc..

Blue Jam

Quote from: TheWoodenSpoon on July 01, 2017, 01:15:28 PM
I suspect the noobmode difficulty of I'm Too Young To Die is a contributing factor since when everything you're up against dies at the drop of a hat...

Nope- it's not the Demons who are dying at the drop of a hat, it's me... I think I'm just rubbish at this.

The dying all the time thing is a problem as the checkpoints are sometimes a bit too few and far between for my liking. I just get bored of getting a room almost clear of Demons, then respawning at a point miles away from the Demons and having to keep traipsing through the same bit of the facility to get back to them. One bit in particular felt like I was playing Walking Up Stairs Simulator.

I think I was a bit spoiled with Prey and having the ability to make quicksaves, but in that game I didn't mind dying and then having to find a new strategy to defeat an enemy because there was a good range of enemies with different strengths and vulnerabilities, and it was fun to keep trying different strategies. In Doom the enemies all look the same, except some can chuck fire at me, and I've got a choice of a few crappy little guns or the boringly overpowered plasma cannon, and there isn't much of a stealth element to it. I'm not far into it but I hope there's more variety later on. Prey is also supposed to be an unusually difficult game but I'm finding Doom much more of a struggle.

I do like the chainsaw though, and the Glory Kills, especially when you rip a Demon's arm off and hit them with it. The mindless violence is highly enjoyable- maybe I just need to get further into this and explore the facility a bit more.