Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:50:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Mario Vendredi

Started by The Plaque Goblin, February 19, 2004, 12:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Plaque Goblin

Hear four curious tracks here
Quote(imagine Mike Patton singing Italian opera with an acoustic guitar)

http://www.geocities.com/mario_vendredi/

QuoteFrom a mysterious European background, Mario was raised in Wales and eventually was discovered by the promoter Albert Neuss.   Whilst under the promotion of Neuss, a mysterious figure by the name of Herr-Links Machter offered to finance the release of Mario Vendredi records, and several early singles,  in 1969 Mario scored a minor hit of some significance in several European countries with "Villamayor".  A subsequent self-titled album sold moderately, but the subsequent album "Breakers" released in 1970 a more contrived attempt into the mainstream flopped.  Mario, unhappy with the album and his manager, walked out of an unsuccessful tour and went walking in England's Cotswold hills.  During this period, he complained of "reoccurring visions", and started putting together a concept album entitled "The Curse Of Emile Bilonche".  After 6 hard months of work, made amid Mario's fears that death was on his trail, the album was completed, and with Machter's funding, released.  Even though nobody bought the record, Mario declared it a "triumph".  An unusual tour was set up at large concert halls, at Machter's expense.  Playing to almost empty theatres, only a handful of journalists wrote of these unorthodox, emotionally driven gigs.  During the summer of 1972 Mario played a tour of village halls around the home counties.  A new EP was recorded, inspired by "dark country lanes and failed relationships".  This EP was never released.  In 1973, Mario began taking on minor film roles, most notably appearing in the Hammer movie "The Creeping Flesh", starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.  Another EP was recorded, but not released.  In 1974, Herr Links Machter, as mysteriously as ever, withdrew funding, and without Machter or Neuss, Mario struggled to find anyone who would finance his music.  For the next two years, Mario's whereabouts are unknown, but in 1976 he returned once more, bizarrely, on the London punk circuit.  Ragged, but energetic, Mario Vendredi made some quite incendiary performances, though most gigs descended into brawls.  Ragged with alcoholism, Mario gave up music in June 1977, though recorded a final EP at home.  In September 1977 Mario was found dead, aged 31.

In 2000, Mario Vendredi returned tothe live circuit around Reading, and more recently, Cheltenham.  Now aged 24, with the help of Doublejack Records, he is recording new material, some of which should be unveiled around May 2002.

"I am back – It's been a long haul. I am back to sink the flagship of fools" Mario Vendredi, April 2002.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/C_E_D_S/page4.html

I don't understand.

Told you.  Noone's heard of him.

The Plaque Goblin

Hang on.  He can't have released any albums recently seeing as all his albums were released in the 70s... and seeing that he died 77.

The Plaque Goblin

Ah well, as you may be aware in 2000, Mario Vendredi returned to the live circuit around Reading, and more recently, Cheltenham. Now aged 24, with the help of Doublejack Records, he recorded new material, some of which was unveiled around 2002/03.

Incidently, there's nothing about Doublejack Records on the web.

Muel 2

I've seen the 24 your old Mario several times and he was excellent. Apparently he is now in a jar.

Rats

Quote from: "Muel 2"I've seen the 24 your old Mario several times and he was excellent. Apparently he is now in a jar.

what's the jar thing all about?

heh.  If your own personal jesus is s.j.esau (I did a bit of investigation by clicking your website).

then I believe I have seen you at the Venn festival @ the Cube, Bristol earlier in the year.

I really enjoyed it.   Your website is highly novel and I like it.

Muel 2

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"heh.  If your own personal jesus is s.j.esau (I did a bit of investigation by clicking your website).

then I believe I have seen you at the Venn festival @ the Cube, Bristol earlier in the year.

I really enjoyed it.   Your website is highly novel and I like it.

Thanks! That Venn Tag Team thing was ace! Funny enough, Mario also played that day.  You a Bristol man then?

The Jar thing - Mario was apparently forced in to a jar at his last performance by the man who channels him. Or it may have been a box. I wasn't there, I only have a tape of the event. It's nuts.

Quote from: "Muel 2"That Venn Tag Team thing was ace! Funny enough, Mario also played that day.

yeah, I was there.  They need to do another one of those Venns.

I heard that rumour about the Jar thing.  Apparently there was a broom involved too.

Do you have a MP3 type file of that tape?

Muel 2

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"
Quote from: "Muel 2"That Venn Tag Team thing was ace! Funny enough, Mario also played that day.

yeah, I was there.  They need to do another one of those Venns.

I heard that rumour about the Jar thing.  Apparently there was a broom involved too.

Do you have a MP3 type file of that tape?
Just tape I'm afraid. I'll see what I can sort though. Yea, he told me about the broom usage. Btw Senôr Lomp - The Artist Formaly Known As Mario Vendredi will be playing at Cafe Unlimited - Bristol on the 21st of October.

Quote from: "Muel 2"Senôr Lomp - The Artist Formaly Known As Mario Vendredi will be playing at Cafe Unlimited - Bristol on the 21st of October.

apparently at least one other sonic Verb Whore will be also playing at this.

so if anyone's in the Bristol locale on the 21st then you know where it's at.

Muel 2

Quote from: "Muel 2"Senôr Lomp - The Artist Formaly Known As Mario Vendredi will be playing at Cafe Unlimited - Bristol on the 21st of October.

apparently at least one other sonic Verb Whore will be also playing at this.
That'd be me.
I can wholeheartedly advise attendance. Other acts are 'Whalebone Polly (femail spaceyfolk duo - a mazing) Max Milton (with cello, violin, viola, clarinet amd other stuff - he's a really incredible songsmith he is) and there's more.
It'll be an interesting night as there will be no amps, pa, plugs, mics etc..
And it was my idea.

Quote from: "Muel 2"And it was my idea.

will there be a donation box by the door?

Muel 2

Quote from: "Muel 2"And it was my idea.

will there be a donation box by the door?
Feel free to stuff notes into my pants while I am playing. No coins please, they tickle.

Quote from: "Muel 2"Feel free to stuff notes into my pants while I am playing.

I'magunna hold you to that.

Quote from: "Muel 2"I can wholeheartedly advise attendance. Other acts are 'Whalebone Polly (femail spaceyfolk duo - a mazing) Max Milton (with cello, violin, viola, clarinet amd other stuff - he's a really incredible songsmith he is) and there's more.
It'll be an interesting night as there will be no amps, pa, plugs, mics etc..
And it was my idea.

Yeah.  It was great (although sadly I only saw the first few).

I think I've seen Whalebone Polly before (I noticed the girl with the banjo)... there were a few Venn festival performers there last night.

seems Mario is back, despite the name.