Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:42:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone ever tried to make a game?

Started by Eight Taiwanese Teenagers, June 30, 2017, 10:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MojoJojo

None of the newer, "safer" alternatives for compiled OOP are really enough of an improvement to justify the switch.

It is a terrible language for any sort of parsing of input data - although I'm not sure what I mean by that.

Twed

I don't think safer needs scare quotes. You make a bounds error in C++ and it fails silently and writes to the wrong memory. You make a bounds error in C# and you get an exception.

I agree that the more modern equivalents of C++ (C#, Java, etc.) are terrible. They're just horrible. Programming shouldn't feel like you need to wear a suit.

Python and JavaScript (seriously), the newer languages like Go, LUA for in-game scripting... that's the way to enjoy life as a developer.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Twed on July 27, 2017, 03:15:10 PM
I don't think safer needs scare quotes. You make a bounds error in C++ and it fails silently and writes to the wrong memory. You make a bounds error in C# and you get an exception.

I agree that the more modern equivalents of C++ (C#, Java, etc.) are terrible. They're just horrible. Programming shouldn't feel like you need to wear a suit.

Python and JavaScript (seriously), the newer languages like Go, LUA for in-game scripting... that's the way to enjoy life as a developer.

To continue the off topic-ness - I wasn't talking about C#, Java as the safer alternatives. They're (basically) interpreted languages, and if you can meet your performance and memory goals with them you'd be mad to choose C++ instead. Just from a time to implement point of view, never mind security. But if you can't fit an OS and VM into your memory footprint, or you need decent realtime performance C or C++ are pretty much your only options. Go and Swift don't really offer enough advantages -hence the scare quotes - over C++ to be worthwhile - that might change in time, but I suspect not.

Twed

"Embedded" devices, then? Sure, absolutely. That's when it's the right choice.

Bhazor

Twed

Mate, throwing our lives away to develop skills like these is why we can expect to make upwards of 15K a year in the job market.

Bhazor

I talked to a computer major once who was having a minor mental breakdown when he found out the language he'd spent 5 years studying had been all but abandoned. I don't know what language it was but he fell asleep on the sofa clutching a bottle of White Ace.

Twed

He had no hope if he was tied to one language, TBH. Any programmer worth their salt can pick up a language on the fly if necessary.

hedgehog90

^ Except for C++
I refuse to indulge in such vulgarity.

Bhazor

Humble Bundle has a GameMaker Bundle. $1 for the pro edition of GameMaker Studio.

https://www.humblebundle.com/gamemaker-rebundle

Alongside some shite games made in it.  Really just atrocious shite.

Still it's a good entry level program for cheap that has been used for some classics like Nuclear Throne and Undertale. Alongside some utter shite.