Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:38:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hawking

Started by Z/Sb, December 10, 2004, 09:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z/Sb

I just watched this movie on ARTE (in English), it's very moving, well filmed and brilliantly acted by Benedict Cumberbatch. John Sessions and Michael Brandon co-star in it. The film should have been released at the cinema in my opinion as I think it deserves far more attention than it's gonna get being a tv movie. Apparently it was originally shown on BBC2 but I'm surprised to find no mention of it here on C&B (maybe I just didn't look hard enough in the forum search). Benedict reminds me a bit of Stephen Fry the way he acts and talks in Hawking's early years.

It gets very unsettling & upsetting when the disease starts to kick in, as you can imagine. But it's a great biopic and I found it far more watchable than the recent big screen, big budget, Hollywood biopics. Maybe it's because it's a totally British production and Stephen Hawking is someone to be truly proud of and there isn't any cliched over-the-top "upper class" characters (like you get in movies like "Wimbledon" and those Four Wedding/Notting Hill films, etc).

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it. I recommend seeing it when you have the chance. I notice it's released on dvd...

If anyone else as seen "Hawking", I'd be interested to hear what you thought of it...

One other thing... Watching the movie reminded me of Morris' impersonation of Hawking and I remember there were a few people around who found it a bit tasteless. I always thought that this was a pretty smart impression, the way Chris says "Look, leave me alone - I'm trying to work it out" and then you see his face contort on the fade out. I thought Chris Morris' impersonation had a lot more respect for Stephen Hawking than the crappy Simpsons awkward attempt at cartooning him - but that's just my opinion. I just liked the way Chris was making out that there was nothing wrong with Hawking and that the reason he looked that way was because he was spending so long trying to work out the secrets of the universe. Well, that's how I see it, anyway... I didn't actually find the clip funny but it was pretty clever. I'm sure Hawking himself would find that clip acceptable.

Frinky

There has been a thread (I'll look it up), and I loved it. One sec.

Frinky

Well, what do you know, I started it. I didn't know that.

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1965&highlight=hawking

There you go!

foxprorawks

I've never seen Morris impersonate Hawking (that I can remember anyway).

I've got Brasseye, Jam and The Day Today on DVD - can you tell me if it is on any of those (and which episode).

mook

Quote from: "Z/Sb"

I notice it's released on dvd...

Brilliant. Being an arse I buggered up recording this when it was aired.

Time for a cheeky repost.

Frinky

Solid Snail

Quote from: "foxprorawks"I've never seen Morris impersonate Hawking (that I can remember anyway).

I've got Brasseye, Jam and The Day Today on DVD - can you tell me if it is on any of those (and which episode).

Brass Eye! Science! "Innocent or guilty"!

Z/Sb

Quote from: "Frinky"Anyone notice that the man playing Hawking turned from early-90's Graham Coxon to Andy Warhol depending on the camera angle?

Thanks for the thread tip - I just checked it out. Loved that quote...

foxprorawks

Quote from: "Solid Snail"
Quote from: "foxprorawks"I've never seen Morris impersonate Hawking (that I can remember anyway).

Brass Eye! Science! "Innocent or guilty"!

Found it!

I don't know how I missed that - I've watched the DVD loads of times.