Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:24:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"England Is Mine" Morrissey Biopic

Started by SteveDave, June 30, 2017, 01:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

https://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2017/jun/30/morrissey-biopic-england-is-mine-trailer-shows-early-years-of-smiths-video

There's a trailer.

I'm betting there's a scene where he's getting dressed and he complains "I haven't got a stitch to wear" Then he turns to the camera and winks.

Phil_A

Erm, did much happen in Moz's life prior to the Smiths? I got the impression he spent most of it at home reading in his bedroom.

daf

And spending £250 a month on his Charles Hawtrey addiction

SteveDave

Quote from: daf on June 30, 2017, 01:52:44 PM
And spending £250 a month on his Charles Hawtrey addiction

Mrs Morrissey- "There's Carry On films for free on the television!"

Neomod

Could be alright. I would have preferred a Gainsbourg Vie Heroique style overview rather than Smiths Babies™ but we won't get that until he carks it will we.

It won't be the first time Morrissey will have come face to face with an impersonator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfS3a_b5Pv4

"Have you ever shopliiiiifted?"

Creepy.

rue the polywhirl

Could we have an big movie adaptation of his future death. The one where he's being crucified whilst trying to save Britain from immigrants and meat-eaters.

The trailer for this looks absolutely dreadful. I enjoyed Control, but then I don't really like Joy Division.

New Jack

This will be worth seeing just because it's inevitable the real Morrissey will rail against it.

The actor seems to do a decent voice impression of Moz. Looks like they're playing up his life a bit... sure, he was in the Nosebleeds and Slaughter and the Dogs briefly, the drama has to come from somewhere.

ffs they spoiled the ending

buzby

Quote from: Phil_A on June 30, 2017, 01:41:21 PM
Erm, did much happen in Moz's life prior to the Smiths? I got the impression he spent most of it at home reading in his bedroom.
He used to hang round with Linder Sterling (the Linder in the trailer, singer in Ludus and Buzzcocks/Magazine sleeve artist, they met at the soundcheck of the famous Pistols Lesser Free Trade Hall gig) and was a contributor to City Fun (under the pseudonym Burt Macho)  so he can't have been a complete shut-in.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Phil_A on June 30, 2017, 01:41:21 PM

He was head of the UK New York Dolls fanclub.

I've got his autobiography kicking around but I didn't get very far with it. It's a bit much.

Epic Bisto

Isn't it just Birth Of A Nation with all the intertitles replaced with "All of the other blokes in The Smiths are cunts" and "Keep Britain White"?

Brundle-Fly

non capisco

I hope there's a bit of foreshadowing in it where he says something racist.

Brundle-Fly

Finally watched this on Netflix last night. Well acted and looked suitably pallid but with all his shenanigans over the past fifteen years (and Taylor Parkes recent dismissal on the Chart Music podcast), it made for an irksome hour and a half viewing. I understand he had difficulties with self-confidence and suffered depression and for that I sympathise, but for all his passion, well-read, poetic talent and deep insight into the human condition, you're constantly reminded that ultimately, he is a narcissistic, shallow brat. And of course, there is no Smiths music to be heard or lyrics even uttered and it ends at the point the story is just about to get going. Frustrating.

poodlefaker

Full of jarring inaccuracies too, iirc, like showing him going up to a bar and asking for "Two beers please" and being handed a couple of green bottles of lager.  In 1970s Manchester.

ajsmith2

Quote from: poodlefaker on June 25, 2019, 10:11:24 AM
Full of jarring inaccuracies too, iirc, like showing him going up to a bar and asking for "Two beers please" and being handed a couple of green bottles of lager.  In 1970s Manchester.

Surely he should have asked for 'Two Light Ales Please'?

Brundle-Fly

God, and how much repetition? Oh, Morrissey's getting bollocked in the office by John Stape from Coronation Street. Yet again.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: non capisco on July 01, 2017, 09:31:28 PM
I hope there's a bit of foreshadowing in it where he says something racist.

Or he gets shortchanged by a Pakistani shop keeper. And you see his fist clench around the 3p that should have been 4p

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on June 25, 2019, 11:22:12 AM
Or he gets shortchanged by a Pakistani shop keeper. And you see his fist clench around the 3p that should have been 4p

He swiftly changes the TV channel when Mind Your Language comes on.

SteveDave

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 25, 2019, 12:13:59 PM
He swiftly changes the TV channel when Mind Your Language comes on.

Or he's alphabetizing countries and puts Britain first. 

Johnboy

I thought it was good enough.

Some of the conversations were jarring though, for instance I don't think he would have had the guts/arrogance to speak to the dole officer like that, he might have imagined it but not done it.

phantom_power

I like it when they drop song titles into the dialogue

Dole officer: The supervisor will see you now
Morrissey: Yeah but how soon is now?

Morrissey: How do you know I was up all night writing?
Mum: There is a light that never goes out

Mandy: What are you going as for the office fancy dress party Stephen Patrick Morrissey AKA Morrissey
Morrissey: Vicar in a Tutu

Stuff like that

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Johnboy on June 25, 2019, 03:23:05 PM
I thought it was good enough.

Some of the conversations were jarring though, for instance I don't think he would have had the guts/arrogance to speak to the dole officer like that, he might have imagined it but not done it.

It was the superiority he felt he held over everybody. People just trying to get on with their jobs. Really unappealing. He was horrible to his sister and the girl friend at the beginning of the film. I didn't find it boring though which was odd because fuck all happened really. Just lots of moping.

the science eel

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 25, 2019, 09:23:50 AM
Finally watched this on Netflix last night. Well acted and looked suitably pallid but with all his shenanigans over the past fifteen years (and Taylor Parkes recent dismissal on the Chart Music podcast), it made for an irksome hour and a half viewing. I understand he had difficulties with self-confidence and suffered depression and for that I sympathise, but for all his passion, well-read, poetic talent and deep insight into the human condition, you're constantly reminded that ultimately, he is a narcissistic, shallow brat. And of course, there is no Smiths music to be heard or lyrics even uttered and it ends at the point the story is just about to get going. Frustrating.

which makes me wonder how the thing got made at all - of marginal interest even to Smiths' fans!

maybe there's hope for an MES biopic. I wonder what it would be called...

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: the science eel on June 25, 2019, 06:55:15 PM
which makes me wonder how the thing got made at all - of marginal interest even to Smiths' fans!

Totally Wired?

studpuppet

Quote from: the science eel on June 25, 2019, 06:55:15 PM

"Gimme the Lead, Gimme the Lead, GIMME THE LEAD!!"

Icehaven

Quote from: poodlefaker on June 25, 2019, 10:11:24 AM

Just put this on and almost immediately someone good looking has been described as "quite fit." In 1970s Manchester.

the science eel

Quote from: icehaven on July 02, 2019, 08:39:17 PM
Just put this on and almost immediately someone good looking has been described as "quite fit." In 1970s Manchester.

Sounds OK to me - think we were saying that in the late 70s in Cumbria.

Sure it wasn't 'hot'?

Icehaven

Quote from: the science eel on July 03, 2019, 02:21:06 AM
Sounds OK to me - think we were saying that in the late 70s in Cumbria.

Sure it wasn't 'hot'?

No, definitely fit. Maybe it was a Northern thing then, didn't hear it in the Midlands until at least the mid 2000s.