Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:03:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nex Machina

Started by TheManOne, July 02, 2017, 08:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheManOne

Anyone playing this? It's basically the people who made Resogun taking the two stick approach to a land based shooter.
Firstly, if you loved the former, then I suspect you'll also love this. Wonderful waves of enemies which look impossible at first and then become second nature as you whip round them in ever decreasing circles.
Secondly, it's ironed out a few problems I had with the Reso. Saving the humans actually means something now. It radically increases your score as the game goes on. That always felt a bit odd. The "hidden" things aren't quite as esoteric either. There are clues in the visuals and sounds to guide you in.
It's another game which has managed to make reading hard as I'm plotting routes through the words for my ship to sweep through.

TheManOne

I'm sad no one else is playing this...

Hecate

Stand up and take a bow TheManOne, the one man with any fucking taste around here.
Nex Machina wasn't just officially the best "fuck your zelda" game of 2017 by a country mile, it was also one of the best games ever made.

Housemarque have always been good and getting better, but the guiding hand of Eugene Jarvis pushed them to create their magnum opus.
If this is how they go out, with possibly the greatest twin stick shooter ever made, then they went out in style.

The genius of the game is that you can jump in and play it as a regular twin stick shooter and have fun, it's all there from the start but it feels as if the game is drip feeding you the scoring mechanics as you go, you start to discover them by accident at your own pace as you play.

It's tight, it's deep, it's pure, distilled, undiluted arcade action and it's a game you should buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDBOQimdskk