Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:53:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds

Started by QRDL, July 05, 2017, 04:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QRDL

I can't believe there isn't a thread about this game here.
I played for a couple of days more than a month ago and of course I was utter shit. My best was #8. I moved on to plowing through my backlog and only watched videos of other people playing (jackfrags is especially enjoyable). Today I went back with a resolution not to cower as people are shooting at me and to willingly get into scraps. Right away I got #6 and a beautiful 126m headshot in retaliation.
Is anybody playing? Would they be willing to squad up once in a while?

Puffin Chunks

Yes I am (recently purchased). It is a lot of fun, but I am woefully poor. I have one kill to my name at the moment, and it was some poor sucker cowering in the corner with no weapon.

Watching Youtube vids makes me realise that I'll never be good with mouse controls, but it doesn't stop it being fun. You can add me on Steam if you want. SteamID is puffin_chunks.

QRDL

Invite sent, but I won't have much time to play during the incoming week, sorry. Work.
I agree that it's strangely fun even if you're shit. The adrenaline surge you get is incomparable to any other game I have ever played. The higher I get, the longer my hands shake after I inevitably die.

Puffin Chunks

Haha. I need to stop blind panicking as soon as I have a close encounter with another player. Death comes so quickly in this game! I think I may start dropping into busy areas to practice a bit. I keep going for quiet areas and sneaking around, but it is not helping me control my adrenaline rushes!

No worries, hopefully it will give me a chance to get a bit better at it!

QRDL

Yeah, dropping at the school seems popular for honing skills, but it's such a highly contested area, that getting out of there alive is a minor achievement in itself. I recommend the "crater". There's a small military installation there, pretty good loot and regularly 2-3 opponents at the start. Landing on the roof of the biggest buiding there and working your way down is the best tactic.
Anyway it's a good idea to just throw yourself in the thick of it without much hope for suviving until the endgame. If you don't force yourself to confront other people, what you get used to is cowering in toilets.

I guess I should leave my Steam ID here for everybody else. It's miastodont (or qrdl, I'm not actually sure).

Puffin Chunks

Why aren't people playing this game? People should be playing this game.

Lee Van Cleef

I'm waiting for the Xbox version, pretty excited with what I've heard of it.

QRDL

It's going to be a completely different game with a gamepad. I would actually be very interested in checking how it plays. Right now though, it would simply be suicide against KB+M.

Shay Chaise

I really hope this runs OK on the Xbox One S, it's one of the few non-Nintendo games I'm looking forward to. It looks fantastic.

QRDL

Surely, they will tune it so it runs fine of XBox One OG. The thing is, 4K (which will probably be the resolution used on XBox One X) will be a real advantage even with a smaller emphasis on sniping.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on July 28, 2017, 06:57:58 PM
I'm waiting for the Xbox version, pretty excited with what I've heard of it.

This. It looks great though.

Lee Van Cleef

Xbox is where I do my social gaming, plus my pc resides at my parents house due to space issues. I'm hanging on right now because I've heard so many good things but really want this as a fun Friday night excursion with my online mates.

wasp_f15ting

This game is just too addictive..

Blue Jam

Out on the Xbone today. I haven't played it yet, I think Father Christmas may be bringing me a copy.

Shay Chaise

I'm gonna be on this tonight like a very conscientious man.

Shay Chaise

I just had my first ever game of PUBG. I came 12th, no kills, no hits, no contact until I was killed out of the blue. Utterly captivating! I'm not being sarcastic.

I played a bit of Fortnite Battle Royale but it was quite crap. This feels great, very very tense, the map felt massive. I dropped in almost immediately and so swept across the island like a madman running away from the deadly blue line closing in on the diminishing playing area. It seemed there were few players on the outside of the map so I built up quite the arsenal. Meant nothing but I'm going back in again now.

Barry Admin

I've really been looking forward to it, but the jankiness seems too much, and 30fps is a pain in the arse. Have you compared it to Fortnite? I'm kind of enjoying that, and think it'll do.

Shay Chaise

Couple of performance updates and QoL improvements over the last couple of days, just logged on to another 4 gig update. I definitely see the criticisms and it's likely to be heavily updated and improved over the next six months but I'm happy to put up with the odd bit of jank to get in early. I find that the start and initial landing is the worst and then it quickly sorts itself out and settles down. Ha, it's literally just crashed on me for the first time, just as I landed.

Compared to Fortnite, it just has a much greater sense of threat and dread and grim realism - in my opinion. I shouldn't have said Fortnite was crap because I know a lot of people around enjoying it, it's just not what I want from those kind of game. The art style detracts from the tension a little bit and while I never played enough to get into the building, I did find it a bit daft.

Just got my first top ten in this and first kill haha. I really do play it like a coward simulator, or rather, how I would play in real life. I try to get some stuff, and then chill out. I set the guy up quite well though, left the doors open and didn't pick up the gear on the floor. Heard him shuffling about and bam bam bam, in the back. Coward.

Shay Chaise

Ho ho ho. Top two! Aaargh, I'm just going to play this all day, I know it.

Shay Chaise

Top two again this morning. I had a great spot under a staircase in an open tower and the area was tiny. The edge of the playing area nudged me out ever so slightly and I got taken down. No idea where from, because it wasn't on the stairs. I suspect that in those final life or death moments, there's almost an element of chicken about not moving into the playing area. I'm absolutely certain that the other guy must have been losing health and was behind me somewhere because it was about a five metre circle remaining and I was on the edge of it. I'll definitely remember that next time, take the damage until the last moment and hope it flushes the other guy out first.

I appreciate that this stuff is not particularly interesting to anyone else but I also think that's what makes this game. Every little encounter is a story in itself. I just made a truly hopeless gamble and landed on the edge of the island, with a view to ransacking the pier area. I was shit outta luck, ended up with a pistol and baseball cap and fled with my tail between my legs, only to find that the playing area was as far from me as possible. I was trapped on the coastline, essentially, due to the firefights over a motorbike and I just thought fuck it, maybe I find a boat. As I kept swimming, the clock kept ticking down, no chance. I had to cross a bridge and just pelted through some nihilists having a shootout and could hear the victor's bullets whizzing past my ears as I continued my long lonely sprint. I was zigzagging and jumping to make myself hard to hit, survival instinct, even though I knew I wouldn't make it to the playing area. I was miles off still. One burned out car after another on the bridge, a burned out van, a house in the distance, some rocks, a tree, a fuckin BUGGY. I jumped in and just started burning it as the crow flies, with the circle now shrinking behind me in view. It was like Twister or some shit, pure exhilaration. I had no weapons to speak of, a cap to keep the sun out my eyes and the slimmest chance of surviving any encounter. I finished eleventh, twelfth, something like that, a good effort considering, but that's not the point. The end result means nothing compared to what I went through to get there. That wilful, hopeless dash may end up as my enduring memory of this game. I've never played anything like it.

Barry Admin

I forgot you'd already talked about Fortnite in the post right above, but thanks for going into more detail. I know what you mean regarding the cartoony graphics. Anyway fuck it, I just bought this and the Duke Nukem Bulletstorm edition (11 quid!!) with my Xmas money. Dressing up in Xmas clothes in GTAOnline while it downloads. I think the gunplay and bad aiming and crap controls are gonna hurt me, but I know I'll love it, and I see this as an investment, as it will get much better. And the price will go up when it comes out of preview.

Shay Chaise

Nice one fella, I hope you get into it. I'll see you out there. As for the controls, they didn't seem very natural at first but I feel like I've pretty much got the buttons now, at least, and yesterday I finally figured out how to aim down sights, it's a toggle, quick tap of L-trigger! Fat use it did me, anyway. I had a snipe off and missed the guy probably ten times. BAM YOU WERE KILLED BY...

Barry Admin

I wonder if X and OG play on the same servers? I'm just creating my chick now, I'm so excited! I was dying to play this for the longest time. I should take a sleeper and try and get another few hours sleep before I have to go out, but, naaaaaahhh, I'm coo.

Ooh the hairstyles are pretty good. I think I'll go with the loose perm. God damn I am one sexy bitch.

Barry Admin

Damn, rank #14, but died due to the environment. I'm still trying to figure out the weird controls, right bumper also lets you ADS... well, it makes you first person, and you can then ADS with left trigger.

Fun! Tense for sure, in a way Fortnite just isn't. I need to have a quick read of a guide, but I like how it seems to work, with red safe zones, rather than just a slowly restricting map. I had some guy circling in a car, trying to kill me, but was sneaky sneaky. Then I got to a house and was face to face with my first enemy. Killed him with burst fire, then started looting his shit. Sadly I spent too long trying to figure out how to use my backpack items, so I couldn't get into the new area in time. Decent start though, and I've got the taste.

Barry Admin

Right bumper doesn't let you ADS, my mistake.

Much worse game there. Got lucky with tons of loot when I landed, but then made a dumb mistake that got me sent out at rank 50 or something. I ran into a house and pulled up my map... and got shot in the head. I didn't clear the house first, what a dummy! 

Figured out the zones now too.

Edit: dunno if you're aware, but preferences > broadcast and capture and untick allow broadcasts and game captures for an FPS boost.

I'm doing terribly now, mostly because I was wanting to explore the base.

Comemylady

What do you thing about new dezert design?

Barry Admin

Had another couple of goes today, with wildly varying results. In the first one I had a rifle and had just picked up a crossbow, when two guys  stormed in and started running around. I couldn't bloody manage to put them down, for some reason, and went out at like #92 due to a crowbar to the head. Horrendous, I should have wrecked those two cunts.

Then the next game I finished in second place! It was great stuff, I only got 2 kills along the way too, but one of them was when it was down to the last 5 or 6.  I had heard people near me a few times throughout the game, but we never crossed paths and I didn't chase them down. There were a few firefights but nothing serious. Then I got a jeep to drive across the bridge towards the end, and it took a shot or two. I just kind of patiently waited things out.

I didn't have loads of great gear or anything, but I was surviving. When it got to the last ten or so, I was crawling everywhere, and spent time just hiding in a bush. Eventually saw someone move and sniped him, yaas. Keep login forward, and finally I'm behind a lovely big tree. Here's where I fucked it. There's one other guy left and I can see him standing there, just ahead - the play area is really small by now. I step out to take a shot, and get one-hitted immediately.  Boom, headshot. Dumb, he must have known exactly where I was.

Next time, I'd just stay behind the tree and wait for him to come to me, I think.

Barry Admin

I think this is like Outlast, and I'll have to mostly play it when Jelly is out, or in the bedroom. It REALLY makes me jump out of my skin quite frequently. That moment when you and another player clash in close quarters is amazing though. I had one there when I was down to the last 20, and very well geared. I stalked one of the noisy car cunts, and jumped him when he left the building he was looting. I go prone and start checking his gear, and think "can I hear someone, I think I... ARGHHHHH FUCK ME!" Headshot, goodbye chicken dinner.

You learn from every game, eh? Of course my assault rifle must have led someone to come looking, I should have been ready. Didn't even really need more loot, but there's always that risk and reward.

It does so many things brilliantly, like randomising the gear locations, so people aren't tempted to always go to the same places. I was on top of a massive building thinking "I hope sniper rifles spawn up here", and sure enough, I found a Kar 98 with a red dot. One of my favourite bolt actions.

Man, the tension in this game. And I love how different every run is. I'm getting the hang of the tactical shooter controls, like leaning round corners etc. (ADS then toggle by pushing in either stick.)

I love the mid-game where you see buildings and crouchwalk up, casing it, trying to guess if someone is lying in there behind the closed doors, waiting. I wish someone else on my friend list played it as Duo sounds fun, it'd be cool calling out to each other and clearing buildings and stuff. I'm not doing it with randoms as apparently most of them team kill you for your loot.

Barry Admin

Ahh, reading the thread back, I hadn't thought of leaving the doors open, Shay. I like that alternative, because I already always find myself thinking "closed door, probably someone pretending the building hasn't been looted." And you so need to be aggressive and pick up kills to get BP for the cosmetic loot, so yeah, good tactic that which I'm sure will cause a lot of people just to charge in later in the game.

Barry Admin

Trying duo queue today with a guy on my friends list, but just having no luck. It's crashing every single damn time just after I drop in, and it can be hard to recover from that by the time it loads up again. Just recovered, got our shit together, then it crashed again right as we were getting to the white zone. Reloaded, didn't load correctly, had to close it.

Giving up on duo for now, definitely crash-tactic. Very different vibe too, you're not spending as much time listening and it's not as tense, because you're talking in the party. So it's nice to have a different way of playing, but lone wolf is generally my thing anyway.