Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:35:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds

Started by QRDL, July 05, 2017, 04:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Got this for Christmas (thanks Mr Jam) and had my first few goes today. The first time I got down to #23 and then died because I hadn't figured out how the read the map. The second time I got my first kill (crept up and shot some guy in the back while he was looting some ruins without looking behind him) and then got killed (#41) when I was trying to creep around the edge of the bomb area and then got trapped on open ground with somone driving a van at me. The third time I only made it to #79 but died in my first close-quarters battle inside a house, which was exciting, and in that game I got a kill 30 seconds after landing by following another unarmed player into an outbuilding and just punching him to death. Mwahahahaha...

I'm loving it so far, it reminds me a bit of Titanfall 2's attrition mode (which I also love) although it's really nothing like it- and it manages to feel slower-paced while making me jump more often. Also after playing loads of claustrophobic games it's nice to play one that actually feels agoraphobic. I think I'll only be able to play it in small doses but it's incredibly satisfying. I'll also have to figure out how to nick a fucking van...

Blue Jam

Just made it to #11 after I died falling off a ledge... I'm a bit rubbish at this but it's still an immense amount of fun. It's like Rocket League in that respect.

Shay Chaise

Brilliant observation that this gives a very rare sense of agoraphobia, Blue Jam. I find that even if I'm in the shade of a tree, tucked behind a rock, I feel terribly exposed. And I'm someone who generally can't bear dungeons in games or being closed into any particular area when there's an open world involved.

Barry Admin

Well, leaning really works. I was nicely set up there, and sat in the corner of a bathroom which faced the front door. I heard a buggy come up, and the guy ran straight towards my house. I'm ADS and kneeling, aiming right at head level. He pops the door open, no one is there, so I hold fire. A second later he leans round the door frame and murders the shit out of me.

Leaning is a bit weird, when you are ADS then you can click each stick to lean in that direction, and again, it's a toggle. Same thing can swap your stance when not ADS.

Blue Jam, vans use x to get in and b to get out, and a to swap seats, plus hold left bumper to boost. They're mostly shit though, far too noisy for my liking, I just grab them when I have bad luck, and have to spend the whole round chasing the white zone. Some of them are burnt out and just can't be used, and they're likely what you're finding so far. People also tend to fuck vehicles up and pop their tires to deny other players. I grab all ammo to do much the same.

The sound design is brilliant by the way. I wish I had proper surround sound headphones, you can download Windows Sonic to fake it, but I dunno, doesn't seem great to me. Anyway, they get the speed of sound right, with the crack of gunfire coming last, and signalling where the shooter is. I reloaded a shotgun there and loved the sound of the empty shell boinging off the ground. No way I can listen to CNN playing this game.

Personally I much prefer being outside. The only shiter is when someone is firing and you can't see them or their muzzle flash. You just spin round or pick a direction and run, can't do much else. Entering and clearing houses - not to mention holding them - shits me up ten times more. Outside, I just crouch-run everywhere and try to stay behind cover. I should be a lot more stealthy outside I think.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Barry Admin on December 29, 2017, 08:39:42 PM
Blue Jam, vans use x to get in and b to get out, and a to swap seats, plus hold left bumper to boost. They're mostly shit though, far too noisy for my liking, I just grab them when I have bad luck, and have to spend the whole round chasing the white zone. Some of them are burnt out and just can't be used, and they're likely what you're finding so far. People also tend to fuck vehicles up and pop their tires to deny other players. I grab all ammo to do much the same.

Yeah, that's my problem- I can't bloody find a vehicle to nick! Actually, today I did manage to find a buggy (all the bigger vehicles always seem to have been fucked by other players as you say) and I drove it around for a bit, but I had been hoping to ram it into a few opponents and then didn't see a soul. It got me to the diminishing play area a bit more quickly, aye, but it still wasn't long before I got bored and hopped out. And yes, the vehicles are too noisy- today someone actually beeped their horn at me, what was that about? Bloody show-off...

Not tried landing on the little island and nicking a boat yet...
Quote from: Barry Admin on December 29, 2017, 08:39:42 PMOutside, I just crouch-run everywhere and try to stay behind cover. I should be a lot more stealthy outside I think.

Does anyone else find that looting items of clothing really helps? All I know is that I got to #11 after finding a black t-shirt, combat trousers and a black helmet and that I felt a lot less exposed in them, and that it seems much easier to clock someone running past in the standard-issue white t-shirt... I try and lose the fupping pristine white t-shirt as soon as I can.

Barry Admin

I do try and loot only plain, dark clothes, yes. And sweet-ass coats. I found a motorbike sans sidecar yesterday and it went like shit off a shovel. I was also swimming across a steam and some dude sailed right on front of me. It was a total WTF moment as, aside from a brief mention I think from Shay, I really didn't think they were in the game. There's a Mad Max meta where guys in vehicles circle the edge of the white zone, but again, I'm happy to know where they are, and you can blow them up with enough shots.

Have you went into Rewards to get your crates? You get new clothes from those, but the cost rises exponentially. I need like 2600 BP or something for my next one, fuck sake.

QDRPHNC

Just started playing this today - 2 kills and #27 in my first game! I've taken a liking to landing on the outskirts of the map and locating a car or jeep, parking by places to loot and then skedaddling to the play area at the last minute.

Loving this game, it's the kind of shooter I've always wanted to play. I just wish it were more polished and that you could actually progress in terms of weapons, skills etc. Still, can't have everything.

Shay Chaise

I think any kind of progression like that would totally destroy this game. It's all about the level playing field and the gamble of where to drop. I generally play just like you described, work my way in from the edge. You can usually get fucking tooled up before you meet much resistance.

QDRPHNC

Fair enough.  But what I said about polish - i was replaying The Division over the holidays, if you could have a game like PUBG with the graphics and wonderfully smooth controls of The Div, that would be the tops I reckon.

QDRPHNC

Had a great one yesterday - man with a pistol came at me, I battered him to death with a frying pan.

Barry Admin

Finally another patch has been released, so I'll probably start playing it more again now. It adds First Person mode, and some fixes, including allowing people to change aim acceleration.

One thing they could add, particularly for solo queue, is a killcam. It's a pisser when you die and just have to skulk back to the lobby without any indication of where you were shot from.

Bhazor

I've often thought the lack of a killcam is to hide the amount of hacking and aimbotting going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Re1PzmhV8

Blue Jam

Tried the first person mode earlier today- that's usually my preferred mode for shooters but I really struggled with it the first couple of times and ended up getting deaded early. The third time it somehow clicked and I made it into the top ten for the first time- only #10, but that was good enough for me. The movement did feel a bit more jittery though, like the player character was doing a little jump backwards at times, but I'm sure that'll get patched up in future updates.

Still surviving mainly by landing at the edge of the map, getting tooled-up and camouflaged, and then running like fuck. It's the endgame I'm having problems with.

Quote from: Barry Admin on December 29, 2017, 10:06:21 PM
I do try and loot only plain, dark clothes, yes. And sweet-ass coats.

I finally found a sweet-ass coat the other day and it served me well until the shrinking play area forced me onto a nice bright sandy beach, where I was immediately spotted and deaded at #23. Nrrrrrrrggghhh. Good fun though.

Still haven't found a pan anywhere!

Shay Chaise

This is running better and better with every update. The touchdown jank has pretty much gone. I am finding it less satisfying than before, or perhaps just less appealing, because I basically play to win, not get top ten or whatever and the endgame is quite chaotically shit a lot of the time because of the vehicle stuff. The most recent patch changed damage inflicted to players in vehicles which will hopefully change this up. I just got a bit bored of playing for twenty minutes and then getting run over by someone driving in circles. I'd like an EMP something or other, maybe I've said this before, but I'd appreciate if vehicles all powered down once the circle reaches a certain size. Hmm, might break the immersion but the get gear > get vehicle > sit it out loop is less interesting now. On-foot stealthy stuff is by far the most fun aspect of the game and it's pretty fucking ingenious when it clicks.

Barry Admin

Some great changes now. Turn menu music off, control type B so you can hold left trigger to ADS - huge. Frame rates seem a lot more consistent too. Still some awful waiting for stuff to pop in on old xboxes at the start, but it's a lot better than it was.

Barry Admin

I'm sort of not sure how much I enjoy this, now. I waver on it quite a lot, and perhaps just need eg the new map for a bit more variety. Or perhaps I need to try duo queue and stuff. At its worst, the game is you and another guy in a room with pistols and shotguns, desperately trying to shoot each other and reload while dealing with some fucking abysmal hit detection. It becomes a farce.

Sometimes waiting out the circles and the travelling can be a bitch, too.

As I already said, I think this game desperately needs a fucking kill cam just so there's a sense of resolution at the end. It's ridiculous to have a 20 or 30 minute game end, without giving the player any kind of closure. Not knowing where you got shot from is a pain in the balls.

I think maybe I'll try changing things up by dropping in highly populated zones like the military base.

Blue Jam

Yeah, the novelty has started to wear off for me too. A kill cam is much-needed here- making it to #11 and then being shot in the back, not knowing how it happened and how you could do better next time, is incredibly frustrating. It would also be nice to have the option to watch the end of the match and to see how the whole thing pans out.

I've changed tactic and now I've been playing this by looking out for vehicle spawn points, driving away from the plane's trajectory and trying to loot the more remote locations before driving back, but all the driving and running is getting a bit boring now.

The hit detection is an issue for me too- I just picked up a nice automatic weapon and emptied a magazine into another player at close quarters and still died first, and I don't know how.

Also I've now had two instances where I've been doing really well only to have the game crash on me...

While I like the idea of everyone starting off on a level footing, I'm also not getting a real sense of progression with this game and after weeks of playing I still feel like I'm flailing about rather than learning and improving. Maybe a way around this would be to implement a player ranking system and to match players of comparable ability... I don't know, I just know that this game has suddenly become a bit dull and infuriating.

Barry Admin

Agreed that you should be able to spectate until the end, at least in solo queue. I hate running about too much, so just tend to jump out in the middle of the map, but am trying some different stuff to liven it up. Like just jumping at random.

Squads and stuff might be the way to go, as I read earlier they have more frequent gunfights and stuff. Makes sense as a group is obviously harder to miss.

I'm also just a bit lazy and casul to be honest. I love to have an old tablet playing CNN beside me while I game, but Pubg means full tryhard time. If you don't have a headset, you're fucked, you really need to focus hard on what's going on, although that does pay back in terms of tension generated. On that note, regarding headsets, proximity chat should be fun, when they get it ported over.

I just keep looking at all the queue options and wish they could do something else, without diluting the core experience. For instance, some kind of smaller team deathmatch style rounds in limited portions of the map might be great, but I think people would freak out about anything that made it more CoD or Battlefieldy.

Edit: thankfully the crashing is much improved, but you do know you can rejoin the game if you're lucky enough to still be alive? Always worth doing.

Blue Jam

EDIT: I didn't know that about the crashing- both times I'd already played a few games and thought "fuck this, I'm off to bed" but I'll bear that in mind, cheers.

I love to give games my full attention but with PUBG you properly need to be on high alert- I find headphones are a must for the spatial awareness, and even having the washing machine or the kettle on makes it harder. I often like to have a drink when I'm playing but even that's a no-no with PUBG.

The weapons also feel unrealistic (compared to those in other games at least- I've never fired a gun for real)- I know I compared this favourably to Titanfall 2's Attrition Mode upthread, but with that I at least knew I was crap because I'm just not that great at twitch games, and I knew which guns were easier to aim and get a kill with. With PUBG shooting feels like a stab in the dark half of the time, and the sights (if you can even find a compatible one) don't help much.

It'd be nice to have some melee weapons that feel good too- in Prey the shotgun does fuck-all damage from a distance but is explosive and lethal up close, while the shotguns and pistols in PUBG feel useless at any distance- I feel vulnerable until I find at least a semi-automatic. Also it'd be nice to be able to do a proper targeted melee attack rather than flailing about with your fists (or a frying pan)- I've had some good fistfights but I also just feel like I've been lucky with them.

I think it says a lot about this game that sometimes people make it to #2 on their second go, then the next time they'll get killed at #85. With Titanfall 2 I started off crap and ended up mostly finishing in the top half of the leaderboard- PUBG just feels so random. Something like the Faction system in Titanfall 2 might help, with players earning XP for kills and wins and earning  promotion to higher factions with better players. Rocket League's ranking system also helps to keep the game fun. I'd rather have that than get to trade points for cosmetic items- especially in this game, where anything but dark and camo items are a huge disadvantage.

Also the more I see people sneer about CoD, the more I want to give it a go...

Shay Chaise

I couldn't agree more with everything you said BJ, and especially about a ranking system. Without the healthy possibility of a win, and in fact it seems my chances are dwindling, I'm losing interest in this, too. There's too much time spent to have your game ended by hit detection problems or lag or simply a shit vehicle meta endgame. I know how to kind of abuse the system to get top ten most often but it devolves into randomness and unfairness in close quarters. It needs tweaking because it could be amazing.

Barry Admin

Try also going to settings > display and sound and change audio output to windows Sonic, although I guess you have to download it first. Fakes 3D sound.

I do enjoy how random it is, and think it's the games saving grace. I like not knowing what the fuck will happen, or having to rely on the sheer luck of loot drops.

The only other things I really want are hit markers and an indication of how much health your opponent had left when you die.

And CoD is great stuff, very, very fast-paced and fun. I think they have Advanced Warfare for £5 - £10 still at my local Asda, if you want it. It faced a huge backlash as everyone wanted boots on the ground, and Infinity Ward then worked their balls off making it a great game, with really solid netcode. Single player is meant to be great too.

PUBG makes me think back to old Quake mods like Urban Terror - I think they can do some amazing stuff with it, once the engine is sorted.

Just less stuff like this please! https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvjuuSn-Hz6vgQ1EOW-VNLWLThux Hopefully that clip works - it's another example of where I've got the drop on someone, and only just about walk away because of the frame rate and hit detection.

Barry Admin

Spawned in next to a car, so amused myself by grabbing it and honking the horn like a bastard. Drove right up to a crop of buildings while beeping, jumped out and heard a guy inside obviously freaking out. No stealth, just sprinting towards where I was, belting down the stairs. Nailed him with the mini UZI, which is a beast in full auto mode.

Looted everything else, got back in my car and see a guy about 15 foot away, turning to see where the car noise was. Splat, roadkill, laughing like a maniac.

Then I realised I hadn't looted him, and was dumb enough to drive back. Lay prone, almost instantly got headshot by a sniper bullet. Ah well, going hard and heavy was the aim anyway.

Just a great, fun wee run though, really needed that today.

Stealthing can be fun and very intense, but it can also get a bit dull. Definitely gonna start dropping in Kochinki and the school now for a change, and for more gunfight practice.

You guys may not know, PUBG follows the CoD and Counterstrike model, whereby your gun affects movement speed, so if I'm running I'll usually hit up on the dpad to switch to my pistol, or hold Y to holster whatever I have. There's also bulletdrop as in Battlefield, so sniping at someone far away requires you to zero your gun, or adjust your aim and use the markings on the sights. When you get in a car, hold A to go to the drivers seat.

Gonna try some squad play now too, see how that goes. Enjoying it more again today. I was very intrigued to hear of fog and rain maps, and the former sounded particularly amazing as you can barely see in front of you. Unfortunately they've seemingly got rid of weather though, as the tryhards just leave because it makes sniping useless.

The other good game today was when I dropped into the quarry, and some dick started hassling me right away, and I just wanted to retreat. We had this ongoing firefight for ages over a good distance, I throw some nades down and start to retreat again. Get to one of those wee buildings with stairs up the sides and loot it and heal up. Still getting my bearings, and here he is, fucking Terminator 2 bounding right up the stairs towards me! I crouch, lean left, and finally kill the shithouse as he tries to charge me. I still had a 4x scope on, so I just had to unload into his magnified balls and hope he didn't close the distance. Very satisfying.

I think that's why squads are gonna be good, more stories and more moments.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 18, 2018, 10:22:42 PM
You guys may not know, PUBG follows the CoD and Counterstrike model, whereby your gun affects movement speed, so if I'm running I'll usually hit up on the dpad to switch to my pistol, or hold Y to holster whatever I have

Yep, I had noticed that holstering your weapon makes a big difference when you're trying to outrun the blue circle, I think the Deus Ex games have a similar mechanic.

The Micro UZI is also my favourite.

Barry Admin

It's a neat wee gun, doesn't seem to count as an SMG, but parts for it seem to spawn nearby usually. I'm tying to remember all the ammo types now too as that will really help, like the UZI takes 9mm bullets, which you'll find lying with pistols. The inventory screen does show the ammo types below each gun. I'll generally loot all ammo, then just dump stuff I don't need in a field, as a denial tactic.

Another really fun game there, dropping in with two other guys near 4 houses. We all just went nuts trying to be the first one to get armed. I see one of them pick up a shotgun, and think phew, pressure is off, shotties are dog dicks. So I run all round like a maniac with him behind me, constantly firing and reloading his double barrel. It was like Benny Hill, with guns. At one point I just started looping round a cargo container for a laugh.

Then I'm off again, into the biggest building, straight up all the stairs, onto the roof. Guy standing there, shiiiiittt. Okay, he must be in the menu sorting his gear, so I land a few jumping punches. Then he comes round, and whacks me back. I'd closed the door behind me, and then of course it opens, and the shotgun maniac appears again. I say fuck this, and leap right off the building onto the ground below. Book it towards a wee shed, finally get a pistol, then go back to find the victor, sadly to no avail.

It was just class though. The random unpredictable nature of this game is what really makes it. Definitely - definitely - try playing in different ways when you start to tire of it a bit. There's some interesting places to find on the map, too.

Barry Admin

Spent the last few hours playing duo queue with an Xbox friend. Thankfully it didn't lag badly this time, even though he's in America. Totally different game, makes it really fun in a more social and collaborative way. We have very different styles too, like he's wanting to drive everywhere and sprints around like Forrest Gump, whereas I don't wear shoes and crouch walk everywhere like Chuck Berry.

The skill ceiling definitely increases as you move up into those game modes, and I'm sure that's where most of the mouse and keyboard using scumbags dwell - hopefully they're gonna be able to block Xim users.

Great stuff, having a real blast with PUBG again, we've just got to work on our endgame strategy. I tend to spend far too much time looting, and then have to trundle into the final circle when I feel everyone is lying prone there waiting for me, and I need to change that around.

Barry Admin

Those little shits that camp supply drops, grrr! They're always a great shot too. One hit kill while I was driving a fucking car.

It is interesting seeing all the different ways people play. Some of them are just totally set on engaging in every firefight going, and will happily give up their position to take a shot at someone they may not kill.

Shay Chaise

Really enjoying reading your updates and ongoing experiments/learning. I'm taking a little break from it because I'm really into a few other things at the moment and I started to get a bit miffed with dying at the same point too often. I heard my late-game moans are due to be addressed pretty imminently, so I'm really looking forward to what they come up with. The very best rounds I've had ended up on foot. The majority ended up in vehicular chaos. Something special, though, this game.

As an aside, I dunno whether you listen to The Computer Game Show podcast ever? Great show, actually, and they've started doing some fun streams, not very often, but worth a watch. They're not streamers, mostly just mates and the podcast is the main thing but I've enjoyed their PUBG stuff more than any other they've streamed.

Barry Admin

Oh thanks I appreciate that, I feel a bit alienated from this forum as I don't have a Nintendo Switch and tend to play games that aren't that popular on here, so often feel I'm just talking to myself and clogging threads up with bullshit. I'll try and check that podcast, thanks.

PUBG and The Division have reawakened my interest in tactical shooters, so I'm getting back into R6 Siege, and I want to stick with PUBG as a long-term thing and see how it develops. I don't see nearly as many cars towards the end as you do, the recent nerf seems to have changed the meta.

Btw can recommend HypeZone on the Mixer tab. It's just a stream that switches to whoever is closest to a chicken dinner, and it keeps rotating around. It's very watchable, and a great way of getting some endgame strategies.

I love how chicken dinners is such a thing - before I ever saw the endscreen (online), I just kind of rationalised it to myself. After a Battle Royale what are you gonna want?  A fat bastard chicken dinner with gravy and stuffing and roasters, obviously. The drugs and hookers can wait.

lazarou

Hadn't dived in for a week or two until last night, but whatever they did with that last Xbox patch made a *massive* difference. Where previously I felt like I spent half my time fighting against the chug, now it's bordering on consistently smooth throughout. It's been steadily improving since the initial jankfest, but that might be the best update yet.

Edit: I'm playing on a base Xbox One S, not sure how much this applies to the X.

I bought this over the weekend. Any CaBbers still playing it on the X Box?