Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:14:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Andy Dawson's a touchy prick, isn't he?

Started by SpiderChrist, July 06, 2017, 09:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wet Blanket

To me he seems like an ordinary bloke who has inadvertently fallen arse backwards into a modicum of success, and is currently in the difficult position of being a bit swell-headed but not savvy enough to traverse the many pitfalls of celeb-status social media. I bet he's all right in real life, and dare say without him there'd be no Mince podcast at all. He's obviously the brains behind the operation when it comes to actually getting the thing made.

JoeyBananaduck

Yeah, but how many times does someone have to act like a prick and be told they're acting like a prick before they, y'know, stop acting like a prick? You'd think a dozen or so times would have clued him in.

PaulTMA

I wonder if he's read this thread yet.

Comes up page 8 on a Google search for his name.

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on November 14, 2017, 12:51:46 PM
Yeah, but how many times does someone have to act like a prick and be told they're acting like a prick before they, y'know, stop acting like a prick? You'd think a dozen or so times would have clued him in.

On Twitter he comes across as the type that will never learn. Belligerent and unfunny tosspot who picks fights to boost his self-esteem and then backs down as soon as it doesn't go his way (which seems to be almost always).

Weird that he shows little to none of these traits on the podcast, in which he comes across as not very funny but generally decent bloke and good foil for Bob. Maybe he knows if he acts the arse on the pod that Bob will just call it a day?

billyandthecloneasaurus

what a loser.  it's the kind of unsolicited nasty bollocks i'd occasionally send to random public figures on social media when i was 16 because i thought it was funny, then i grew out of it and felt really embarrassed.  he's a grown man ffs. 

alan nagsworth

Following all this Twitter guff and learning about his other TalkSport/literary work, the Athletico Mince stuff basically comes across like:

• Bob meets Andy through some mutual enjoyment of football.
  • Some conversational sparks, whereby Bob mentions having some daft ideas with which he doesn't know what to do, and Andy says he knows a bit about radio or sound editing or whatever, and maybe they should do a podcast.
  • Bob is interested. Andy mentions having his own zany ideas. Bob is too polite to tell him to put a lid on his dull shite/thinks it'll still be a good platform for his own material so whatever.

Or some such vague order of the above. And the podcast is born, and despite it being painfully obvious to everyone that Andy just isn't very funny at all, it's still very much a great listen almost every time because Bob is an absolute delight and the funniest man who ever lived.

Like, honestly, some of the toss Andy comes up with - and a shining example is the "I could've nicked this - but I didn't!" line - absolutely smacks of two playground mates who both share the same absurdist sense of humour, with one being effortlessly good at coming up with stuff, and the other just trying too hard to keep up. I know this because me and a childhood friend were both huge Vic and Bob fans (to the bemusement of a lot of our peers) and he was always cracking me up with loads of bonkers shit, whereas I always struggled back then to be as funny.

But, alas, I am perfectly willing to look past this glaring fact because, as I said, Andy is easy for Bob to bounce off, and Bob's stuff is so consistently brilliant.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 14, 2017, 02:17:41 PM

Apparently Stewart Home searches for his own name, and he's a complete shed of shit. Maybe he's mates with Andy and can tip him off now.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 14, 2017, 07:19:16 PM
I know this because me and a childhood friend were both huge Vic and Bob fans (to the bemusement of a lot of our peers) and he was always cracking me up with loads of bonkers shit, whereas I always struggled back then to be as funny.

You've come on a lot since then. Now you're not funny at all.

Twed

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 14, 2017, 07:19:16 PM
Like, honestly, some of the toss Andy comes up with - and a shining example is the "I could've nicked this - but I didn't!" line
Didn't Bob come up with that? I think that was the first episode I listened to. Then Andy just adopted it.

Quote from: Twed on November 14, 2017, 07:25:41 PM
Didn't Bob come up with that? I think that was the first episode I listened to. Then Andy just adopted it.

Nah, Andy came up with it and then Bob suggested a different line reading, which inevitably sounded funnier.

Twed

Ah, okay. I thought it was Bob's name//story and then Andy delivered it badly and then Bob directed him.

I was in the bath.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on November 14, 2017, 07:21:42 PM

You've come on a lot since then. Now you're not funny at all.

I'd like the opportunity to prove I am at least funnier than Andy Dawson, if you'd care to be my audience one evening this week. I'll even cook and give you a blowie if it'll help sweeten the deal.

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 14, 2017, 02:17:41 PM

I'd be more surprised if he hadn't. But I don't think he has the self awareness to realize that the many criticisms of him are  totally justified

Wet Blanket

I defended him a bit upthread, but he's just live-tweeted a complaint about how long a film took to start at the cinema, which means he's one of those people who uses his phone in the cinema after the film has started, and therefore definitely a cunt.

gilbertharding

He has also recently discovered the Benest's of Millbrook adverts - suggesting he has at least visited the Picture Box forum.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Myself and the estimable Louis Barfe, formerly of this parish, have been tweeting about the good major recently, so Andy may have spotted those tweets and followed suit. Or perhaps he found the adverts via other means. CaB doesn't own the rights to Captain TWO LITARRRR, sadly.

gilbertharding

Well, I realise that - but it still seemed like a bit too much of a coincidence to me.

gilbertharding

Your mentioning Louis Barfe makes me think that it's much more likely Dawson's got his Captain 2 Litre stuff from him, rather than here.

He MUST lurk here from time to time,  though if he's seen this thread and kept quiet about it on twitter, he's a better man than I.

BritishHobo

I suppose if he has seen this thread and kept quiet about it on Twitter then in a way he's proved the very title of it wrong. Good show, Dawson.

alan nagsworth

I could've risen to their criticisms of me - BUT I DIDN'T

haha let's make that funny

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 15, 2017, 05:38:51 PM
I could've risen to their criticisms of me - BUT I DIDN'T

haha let's make that funny

I do find that funny, it's just a silly bit of business. Athletico Mince is a tonic, just two blokes - one of whom happens to be a comic genius - talking whimsical shite for 45 minutes. I'm glad it exists.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 15, 2017, 05:42:53 PM
I'm glad it exists.

Ditto.  And, as I've said in this thread, some of Andy's stuff DOES make me laugh (ignoring all this Twitter mishegas).

However, I can honestly see it not existing for too much longer...

asids

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 16, 2017, 01:04:59 PM
However, I can honestly see it not existing for too much longer...

What makes you think that?

Otisberg

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 15, 2017, 04:40:16 PM
Well, I realise that - but it still seemed like a bit too much of a coincidence to me.

TBF - The Channel Archive posted this the other day.

https://twitter.com/ChannelArchive/status/929786399934447617

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: asids on November 16, 2017, 04:12:28 PM
What makes you think that?

Nothing really, just a gut feeling - the gaps between episodes have been getting longer, Andy seemed to have been getting genuinely fed up with certain sections (although, to be fair, that's also off-set by his increasing corpsing at the EPL and Scottish songs), and now all this business on Twitter (which Bob must be aware of as well)... 

I don't know if Bob's the sort of person to shy away from things if not-good stuff is going on on the periphery, or if he's not at all arsed about it. 

Small Man Big Horse

Completely off topic but I didn't know where else to put it - Bob was on an edition of Celebrity Tipping Point recently - https://www.itv.com/hub/tipping-point-lucky-stars/2a2533a0036

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 16, 2017, 04:59:26 PM
Nothing really, just a gut feeling - the gaps between episodes have been getting longer, Andy seemed to have been getting genuinely fed up with certain sections (although, to be fair, that's also off-set by his increasing corpsing at the EPL and Scottish songs), and now all this business on Twitter (which Bob must be aware of as well)... 

I don't know if Bob's the sort of person to shy away from things if not-good stuff is going on on the periphery, or if he's not at all arsed about it.

I think you're over-egging the importance of him getting his arse handed to him in a few conversations on Twitter tbf.

Cuellar

Oh shit Bob just made a complimentary tweet about that Curtis Stigers guy

QuoteFollow @curtisstigers Today he has been tweeting Doncaster Council about their gritting machines..surely that's all you need to know

Blinder Data

I think he's just taking the piss, isn't he? He took the piss during 'do a podcast with' stuff too. Hopefully there'll be more podcasts soon.