Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,341
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:28:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Andy Dawson's a touchy prick, isn't he?

Started by SpiderChrist, July 06, 2017, 09:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: Mister Six on July 04, 2020, 09:13:28 PM
I'm sure the similarity between these functionally and structurally identical memes is a TOTAL COINCIDENCE.

Me too

non capisco

It's probably a coincidence and even if I'm wrong and he nicked it who should give a shit, weary repetitive memes like 'get in grave' are hardly what gives this place its identity. If he'd told a story about a disgusting teenage abandoned wank cabin or a word for word identical account about shitting his pants in the toilets at The Dublin Castle we might have more of a case.

imitationleather

Quote from: non capisco on July 04, 2020, 11:25:23 PM
It's probably a coincidence and even if I'm wrong and he nicked it who should give a shit, weary repetitive memes like 'get in grave' are hardly what gives this place its identity.

Get a load of this guy trying to mark himself out as a LEGEND GARY.

non capisco

alan nagsworth

It's probably a coincidence and even if I'm wrong and he nicked it who should give a shit, weary repetitive memes like 'get in grave' are hardly what gives this place its identity.

Well said. The utterly tedious and frankly childish pettiness masquerading as critical comedy analysis of Dawson on here is fucking ridiculous. To be honest I'm shocked no one has outright said "we're funnier than he is, Bob should get us on AM instead of him" yet.

mippy

Get in the sea wore thin very quickly. Part of that early Twitter cash-in book era.

PaulTMA

Get in grave is funnier because it somehow had this self-aware, excessive pettiness to it.  Get in the sea just didn't and doesn't.

Mister Six

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 05, 2020, 12:31:05 AM
Well said. The utterly tedious and frankly childish pettiness masquerading as critical comedy analysis of Dawson on here is fucking ridiculous. To be honest I'm shocked no one has outright said "we're funnier than he is, Bob should get us on AM instead of him" yet.

I've never listened to Mince and I don't know who Dawson is (I thought he was Andy Parsons, or possibly vice versa, until a few pages back), but I find the idea of nicking a nice, organic bit of comedy from an obscure forum, artlessly changing it to make it slightly different (but actually much worse) and then deploying it on Twitter in a cynical attempt to raise your profile and make some quick cash kind of disgusting. It's not that "get in grave" is some brilliant work of art, it's that the act of pilfering and reselling it is so repugnantly cheap, lazy and cynical.

GET IN GRAVE, DAWSON.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

^ but the notion that he nicked it from here is incredibly tenuous, it's literally two words plus the notion of being dismissive of a thing. And I don't even particularly like Andy on the podcast apart from a few occasional bits.

Mister Six

I really don't think it is. It's a distinctive phrase/structure with a specific usage and meaning that are identical in both cases. Dawson's version coming second and being rather shitter and inelegant seems too much of a coincidence to me. CaB is obscure in the broader context but well known in comedy circles.

Circumstantial evidence all, I know, but FUCK IT GET THE GALLOWS.

Dewt

My friend at school had "get into a coffin please" around 1995

Enzo

It's probably a coincidence and even if I'm wrong and he nicked it who should give a shit, weary repetitive memes like 'get in grave' are hardly what gives this place its identity. .

To be fair he is also bald and probably has phimosis as well

Beth Weinblatt should do a duet with Andy

"get out of the pool!"
"and into the sea!"

could be a big hit.

PaulTMA

Shit Good Nose

As I've said in other threads about Andy and/or Mince, Viz have been using variations of "get in grave" for years, usually when their mock back-pages ads have anything to do with funeral or coffin services.  Granted it's not meant in the same way in which it's been used on here, but I don't think it's a phrase which is unique to or the creation of CaB.

I won't argue with anyone that just doesn't like him or doesn't find him funny or whatever cos that's subjective opinion, but to constantly act like he's the worst human being in comedy, or is somehow stifling Bob's creativity, or is stealing little bits from comedy forums is not only tiresome, it would likely contribute to the time when he decides to knock Mince on the head because he's fed up with the endless barrage of abuse.  I think people need reminding that he is pretty much solely responsible for Mince existing.  It's VERY unlikely that Bob would do anything like it on his own (by his own admission he's a bit lazy and needs others to stick a pin under him to get to work), so without Mince the only regular work we'd get from Bob is a couple of minutes of Twitter and a phone call to a radio show that people don't really listen to.

I don't mind Andy - some of his bits I find funny, some I don't - so, admittedly, I find it a lot easier to "put up" with him more than a lot of CaBbers, but surely it's easier and better to skip the bits you don't like than to constantly bang on about how shit and what a cunt he is, possibly risking the future of Mince isn't it?  I mean if you're that convinced he's scouring this place for material...

beanheadmcginty

Bob is so universally adored I think people's opinions are tinged with a bit of jealousy, whether they admit it or not. We all want to be Bob's special friend don't we? Andy is judged harshly because of this.

bgmnts

I wasn't a huge Bob Mortimer fan before mince and I can't stand Dawson myself.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: sutin on July 04, 2020, 09:00:45 PM
What is 'get in grave'?

something I read in 'Mens Tennis Forum' a long time before I read it on here.

edit:
Quote from: Dewt on July 05, 2020, 02:40:29 AM
My friend at school had "get into a coffin please" around 1995
be interesting to know just how old 'get in grave' is as a saying, wouldn't surprise me it's been around for decades

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: bgmnts on July 05, 2020, 06:55:40 PM
I wasn't a huge Bob Mortimer fan before mince and I can't stand Dawson myself.

do you like anything?

alan nagsworth

I've had Portuguese folk telling me to get in algarve for fucking donkeys years

magval

The Portuguese metalheads up the town square benches have been telling people to get into Sepultura since the 1990s.

Captain Crunch

'Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Shit' came out over 15 years ago and I'm sure FOAD (fuck off and die) was a thing on the internet a good few years before that. 

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 05, 2020, 12:31:05 AMThe utterly tedious and frankly childish pettiness masquerading as critical comedy analysis of Dawson on here is fucking ridiculous. To be honest I'm shocked no one has outright said "we're funnier than he is, Bob should get us on AM instead of him" yet.

Totally.  The Athletico Mince thread is just string-pull phrases.  And nobs who can't use spoiler tags.  Waste of time. 

idunnosomename

get in the sea was so over the top angry it was embarrassing. if it was just "in the sea" it'd be basically the same as grave but it was the cockwomble swearing shit that I honestly always hated

phantom_power

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 05, 2020, 04:15:15 PM
Bob is so universally adored I think people's opinions are tinged with a bit of jealousy, whether they admit it or not. We all want to be Bob's special friend don't we? Andy is judged harshly because of this.

I think it is more that the gulf in the comedic ability is so vast and obvious. He might get away with it paired with a lesser talent but Bob is so naturally funny that even a reasonably funny person would look bad by comparison, and I am not sure Andy is even that

Blue Jam

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 05, 2020, 03:44:11 PMI won't argue with anyone that just doesn't like him or doesn't find him funny or whatever cos that's subjective opinion, but to constantly act like he's the worst human being in comedy, or is somehow stifling Bob's creativity, or is stealing little bits from comedy forums is not only tiresome, it would likely contribute to the time when he decides to knock Mince on the head because he's fed up with the endless barrage of abuse.  I think people need reminding that he is pretty much solely responsible for Mince existing.  It's VERY unlikely that Bob would do anything like it on his own (by his own admission he's a bit lazy and needs others to stick a pin under him to get to work), so without Mince the only regular work we'd get from Bob is a couple of minutes of Twitter and a phone call to a radio show that people don't really listen to.

I don't mind Andy - some of his bits I find funny, some I don't - so, admittedly, I find it a lot easier to "put up" with him more than a lot of CaBbers, but surely it's easier and better to skip the bits you don't like than to constantly bang on about how shit and what a cunt he is, possibly risking the future of Mince isn't it?  I mean if you're that convinced he's scouring this place for material...

This.

Also the bit I always skip is The Nonsense Potter.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 06, 2020, 09:26:56 AM
Also the bit I always skip is The Nonsense Potter.

Good lord this is the worst take yet

Blue Jam

It's alright, I know I am alone in this.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 06, 2020, 10:49:23 AM
It's alright, I know I am alone in this.

I can't even react with a hysterical nonsense potter quote because it will be falling on deaf ears :(

Fuck it I'm gonna do it anyway

ARE YOU IN THE KEEPING OF A FUCKING EVIL GOOSE

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: phantom_power on July 06, 2020, 08:55:31 AM
I think it is more that the gulf in the comedic ability is so vast and obvious. He might get away with it paired with a lesser talent but Bob is so naturally funny that even a reasonably funny person would look bad by comparison, and I am not sure Andy is even that

This much-discussed gulf in ability might be an issue for me if Athletico Mince was structured as a coequal comedic showcase for the two hosts, rather than the actual situation where 70-80% of each episode consists of items written and performed by Bob - with Andy acting as his foil or co-performer when needed - and the remainder being a mix of general chat and with 2 or 3 brief solo segments by Andy that basically function as bumpers for Bob's more longform pieces. It's a format that works perfectly well for me and obviously suits Bob down to the ground since he's stuck with it for more than four years now.  As far as I'm concerned, the existence, longevity and continued quality of this show is a minor miracle - a sort of best of all possible worlds as far as "Bob Mortimer doing a podcast" goes - and if occasionally being nonplussed by an Andy Dawson parody song that lasts all of 30 seconds is the price to be paid, then I'll take it.

Evidently a lot of people on here find Andy's contributions repellent enough to completely compromise the entire show, which is fair enough, but there's a particularly resentful, malicious streak in a lot of the posts on here that never sits right with me. There's a very loud contingent of folk who always seem eager to portray Andy as some conniving Uriah Heep figure who has somehow scammed his way onto the podcast, and there are a lot of posts in these threads where people are doing some serious mental gymnastics to present various interactions on the podcast as evidence that Bob secretly hates Andy / doesn't find him funny / is constantly trying to sabotage and undermine him for nebulous reasons, etc. With that stuff I always feel like there's something a little deeper going on than simply not enjoying the guy's contributions.

It's a dynamic that incidentally reminds me a bit of Norm MacDonald Live and the antipathy that a certain portion of the fans have towards Adam Eget, who performs a roughly similar function on that show as the straight-man, sometime punching bag, sometime co-performer. Again, with some of those fans there always seems to be an implied resentment that a man of somewhat modest comedic talent has somehow lucked his way into sharing a stage with a Legendary Genius, missing the many ways that Eget makes a perfect foil for Norm.