Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:02:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Andy Dawson's a touchy prick, isn't he?

Started by SpiderChrist, July 06, 2017, 09:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

That's the standard response people give, but it doesn't address the wider issues. Indeed, the curating of people's online experience now IS part of the wider problem, leading to echo chambers and the sort of hyperpartisanship that's led to the rise of Trump, for instance.

BritishHobo

I hope my post didn't sound sarcastic with the 'if you hold an opinion you wish you didn't' bit, because I agree with you and was being (theatrically) sincere. I've found most circles I've followed based on agreement with their views have ended up with me a few weeks down the line thinking 'shut the fuck up you insufferable twats, can you not just for once tweet about enjoying a film or an album instead of it always being about your one cause and how anyone who isn't as clued up on it as you is the enemy'.

It's a long thought to think, but I think it.

Quote from: Barry Admin on September 30, 2017, 07:47:43 PM
That's the standard response people give, but it doesn't address the wider issues. Indeed, the curating of people's online experience now IS part of the wider problem, leading to echo chambers and the sort of hyperpartisanship that's led to the rise of Trump, for instance.

well yes but that's the way it always is. If you where left leaning 20 years ago you wouldn't read the sun or telegraph daily, or on an even more basic level you'd just avoid people whos opinions you didn't like.

You get the news and information how you want it, thats the whole idea of the experience on there 

Barry Admin

Unfortunately I think that comparison only works on a superficial level. For starters, it completely overlooks how integral the internet and social media are now to most people's lives.

If this is the way it always is, then why are we now living in an era of hyperpartisanship?

I've always believed that a key problem is the validation given - communication has largely become incentivised, particularly on platforms like Facebook and Twitter. If you say the 'right' thing, you get more followers and retweets, and if you say the 'wrong' thing, your influence becomes reduced and you may even become a pariah. I always try to see both sides of an argument, and so this really pisses me off. I have even seen the knock-on effect on here in recent years, in the way people react to content.

doppelkorn

I think that one of the reasons we're seeing a more partisanship in public discourse is the rise of social media, but that could also be amplifying the effect of the polarisation, rather than being the root cause of it.

Throughout history, during times of economic and political uncertainty, people have sought more extreme political solutions than in peaceful, prosperous times.

But in essence, I agree with the posters on here who've said you only need to allow certain things into your timeline in order to preserve your sanity. Twitter (and more-so Facebook) completely distorts reality by shoving the most controversial content in your face. Never before in human history have we been more-or-less forced to read so much stuff. Whether you choose to do so is up to you, and whether you then choose to react is again up to you, but I don't find it particularly good for my mental wellbeing to do so.

Speak

Quote from: doppelkorn on October 02, 2017, 02:21:41 PM
Never before in human history have we been more-or-less forced to read so much stuff. Whether you choose to do so is up to you, and whether you then choose to react is again up to you, but I don't find it particularly good for my mental wellbeing to do so.

This is very true. The sheer amount of content you're bombarded with every day on social media is very unhealthy. It muddles with your own opinions and world view whilst taking focus away from the things in your own life. I uninstalled all my social media 2 months ago and have felt far happier and more focused on my life and the people in it.

JoeyBananaduck

It's going beyond being curmudgeonly now. I'm starting to think there's something up with him. Has he always been like this or just recently?

slicesofjim

I don't know, he's really hammering Virgin Trains, which as someone who has to put up with those things nearly makes up for the 'Centrist Dad' bollocks.

BritishHobo

I do hate Virgin, but whichever poor sod was running the social media during that exchange was brilliant.

phantom_power

Yeah it is telling that the woman with the original complaint took the whole thing with better humour than Dawson

idunnosomename

Don't know who this guy is but I noticed he writes click-bait listicle adverts for Paddy Power, what a cunt

DeGrise

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 17, 2017, 06:21:37 PM
Don't know who this guy is but I noticed he writes click-bait listicle adverts for Paddy Power, what a cunt
What? He's a jobbing writer too?

Is there no end to his sins?

king_tubby

I am not even joking but Dawson's just had his arse handed to him on a twitter plate by Curtis fucking Stigers.

BritishHobo

What happened? He's apologised and removed the tweets, so it must have been bad.

Enzo

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 11, 2017, 07:45:27 PM
What happened? He's apologised and removed the tweets, so it must have been bad.

Stigers' comebacks were too effective and he deleted his side as he looked like a tool. Here's a screencap of the exchange:

https://twitter.com/wefail/status/929413951531741185

Edit: Then he said this, in no way raging himself.

https://twitter.com/moya_lm/status/929413126583472128

JoeyBananaduck

That's pretty funny. Nowt wrong with Curtis Stigers music either. Just played I Wonder Why and it still sounds good. Very like early Tom Waits

Enzo

doppelkorn

Who actually is he? Is he famous just from that get in the sea thing? And athletico mince? What did he do before? How does he make money?

asids

Quote from: doppelkorn on November 12, 2017, 03:59:02 PM
Who actually is he? Is he famous just from that get in the sea thing? And athletico mince? What did he do before? How does he make money?

He wrote (writes) for a few papers and wrote critically acclaimed books like this and this, I think he did stuff for TalkSport too. He was just mates with Bob and that's how they started the podcast, I think. Now he's actually known as a result of the podcast and he seems to think because of that people should give a shit about what he says, he's seemingly desperate for attention off all these people on Twitter because he's apparently a bigwig like them now, at least that's what I take from his Twitter crap.

Enzo

did anyone read the Athletico Mince book he wrote last year? any good?

As it says in that tweet his lack of self awareness is incredible. Its not like its some meta-irony at himself type thing with that rant at Curt Steigers  - even if he's trying to own the whole 'I do a podcast with Bob Mortimer' thing now.

Look forward to the next episode of this in a few weeks.

Still in awe of when the virgin trains intern iced him

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Who does he think he is - Graham Linehan?

c

The blurb from one of those 'critically acclaimed' books is as funny as death: "A collection of mind-bending facts covering subjects as diverse as pubs, babies, oil, doner kebabs, hospitals, hotels and prisons.

Find out in which European hotel you might be savaged by vicious squatter penguins, learn about the world's greediest baby, and discover which TV star keeps kebab meat stored in her tights while she's on screen.

Please note that factuality of facts contained within the book cannot be verified. Do not attempt to use any of them in a life or death situation."

Wacky lolrandom cancer. I wonder why he couldn't get it published by a proper publisher?

SpiderChrist

I've got to the point now where I have to skip past his stuff on the podcast and just revel in BobGenius. Didn't realise Dawson worked for TalkSport but, now I do, it all makes sense.

c

You can download a free sample of his lolrandomdonerkebabtights book here if you don't want to spend £1.19 on it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Factual-Healing-Andy-Dawson-ebook/dp/B006UWPOXU/ref=la_B01CGFQIUC_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1510504311&sr=1-3

I really wouldn't though. The first gag alone made me gag.

king_tubby

Yeah. Um. I don't understand what he's trying to do there.

iamcoop

Quote from: Enzo on November 12, 2017, 09:05:13 PM
did anyone read the Athletico Mince book he wrote last year? any good?

I've got it. It's fucking rubbish. The only decent bits are the transcripts of some of bobs Scottish songs. The rest is largely unfunny lolrandom facts presented chronologically. Stuff like;

May 1969 West Ham become the first team in history to play in kits made of ham etc etc.

Hardly has anything to do with the podcast really.

I quite liked Dawson on the podcast, but fucking hell he comes across as such a fucking cunt on Twitter it's unreal. Embarrassing really.