Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:40:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nex Machina new twin stick shooter from Resogun developer

Started by Bhazor, July 08, 2017, 10:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhazor

Nex Machina is about as pure an arcade style game as you get. Short, relentless and all about numbers going bigger. A big colourful explosive love letter to Robotron. Twin stick shooting (that plays well on mouse and keyboard) clearing rooms of monsters while rescuing any stray humans you can find. Its pretty much a straight shot with just a few hidden levels to reward thorough players but its classic arcade stuff.

Not perfect though. Biggest problem being the level design which has a horrible habit of putting in impossible to see bumps and walls that will see you come to a stand still again and again. No joke, a small lamp post on the fourth level killed me more often than anything else combined. The other problem is the life system. Rather than continuing when you die it instead kicks you back to the beginning of the level and removes one powerup from you. This happens even on the easiest setting.

A short sharp snap of arcade joy that might cheese you off a couple times
4 out 5

http://store.steampowered.com/app/404540/Nex_Machina/

QDRPHNC

Ooh, thanks for the tip. Master Q and I have poured many hours into Resogun, will definitely pick this up.

TheManOne

I should probably point out I'm loving this and have got over my "no one responded to my thread" sulk.
I agree about getting stuck on the scenery though, although I'm pretty sure it's deliberate so as to make speed running/point building harder to optimise.
I'm quite close to finishing on Rookie without a continue.
Is it invading anyone else's everyday vision too? Constantly seeing little creatures crawling round the words of books I'm reading.

Bhazor

I honestly ctrl-f'd the tech page and didn't see your thread. I guess I just suck.

TheManOne

Not as much as I suck at this. I'm shit at dashing it seems.
I love the fact you can watch everyone's runs. That's where I've learned I'm shit at dashing.
What's your weapon of choice by the way? I'm currently a laser lover.

Bhazor

Power shot for me. It is disapointing though how you always with basically the same abilities every time. Like if you had to choose between multi dash or dash explosion.