Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:12:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Truly pathetic attempts at humour

Started by Tikwid, July 08, 2017, 01:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ornlu

Admittedly shooting fish in a big barrel but I've recently been transfixed by this desperately unfunny Youtube "one-liner" and "sketch" "comedian": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlnXsMV8CmY

I honestly could have linked to any of his videos, they're all absolute death. The sheer amount of painfully amateur content on his channel is rather troubling. A neverending, unfiltered stream of shit.

Twed

I think it's a conscious effort to cash in on the current good will given to "dad jokes".

I don't hate it. I don't mind your average one-liner pun at all. Not everything needs to be art that needs to be preserved. For me it stands alone from the wet stuff in the rest of this thread that relies heavily on recognition from a certain subculture.

Sebastian Cobb

pfft, the whole point of dad jokes is that they involve no effort.

actually funny

Ornlu

Maybe that wasn't that great an example. I'm instead just going to post the trailer for his channel, which gives a much grander scope of his oeuvre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_0lUXO6guQ

Cuellar

Mmm I've poked around on there a bit.

It's er, yeah.

bgmnts

At least he's having a laugh to be fair to him.

Ornlu

The fella also hosts a UK snack food review vlog called Food Review UK, which is where I found him. Obnoxiousness aside I think he's rather good at that bit of what he does (even if it's probably because he's just filling a gap in a fairly barren market). But christ mate.

yesitsme

Anyone said Jonathan Pie yet?

I'm saying it now.

Someone sent me a 'thought provoking' clip of his last night.  Aye, it provoked some thoughts all right.

What's he meant to be?  What are we meant to believe is happening?

Even his name?

I hate him and I hate the people who like him.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: yesitsme on November 30, 2018, 09:50:37 AM

I'm saying it now.

Someone sent me a 'thought provoking' clip of his last night.  Aye, it provoked some thoughts all right.

Even his name?

Why hasn't he been sacked from the news yet? Seems to spend more time ranting than anything else these days.

Cuellar

Quote from: yesitsme on November 30, 2018, 09:50:37 AM

I'm saying it now.

Even his name?

Yeah he's utter shite.

Angry student in the body of a middle-aged man. Bleak.

Jonathan Pie represents the nadir of the 'rant into the camera' style. It's barely even humour anymore.

Jerzy Bondov

The first few seconds of the first Jonathan Pie video you watch are quite good. Cor look this news man is going off on one! As soon as you realise it's just some bloke and that it's somehow supposed to be funny, the bubble bursts. You can go and see him on tour if you like. I bet that's good.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Soup on May 15, 2018, 11:11:46 AM
Yeah, that owl joke made me chuckle and I was like "Hey, she's not bad really!" and then the rest happened.

I'm minded to think its the sort of utter shite which is at least genius adjacent though.

Her song was basically The Residents circa. 1995!

Norton Canes

Dusty Substance

Quote from: notjosh on August 02, 2017, 09:26:22 AM
Not sure where else to put this:

https://www.facebook.com/londonistcom/videos/10155367856456043/

I shared this video on Facebook last year, declaring it as my idea of hell on Earth and the opera singing show-off as a literal demon. Turns out he lives in my town and we've got loads of mutual friends.

idunnosomename

Holy shit, not only is daggson abominably unfunny, but his site is all merch, as if people actually  like him and he's not just some prick on tumblr.

How is that even remotely clever? Doesn't everyone make that joke about the Cash song?

Nearly all of these are just as fucking appalling. It's like Modern Toss but  with even less creativity or individual style. They're all just poorly drawn things about edgy things..
https://www.boredpanda.com/icelandic-humor-comics-hugleikur-dagsson/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

kalowski

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 20, 2019, 02:22:36 PM

Nearly all of these are just as fucking appalling. It's like Modern Toss but  with even less creativity or individual style. They're all just poorly drawn things about edgy things..

This is exactly what I thought. Modern Toss has moments of brilliance where it is cruelly funny or just downright rude. This shit is  mundane.

St_Eddie

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 20, 2019, 02:22:36 PM

Fucking Hell!  I'll often internally sing to myself, after consuming some spicy food, when sat on the toilet with a burning anus 'the burning ring of fire' but I would never dream of taking that thought and transcribing it to a comic because it's a fucking obvious and trite thing to think.

Ferris

Quote from: kalowski on January 20, 2019, 02:29:15 PM
This is exactly what I thought. Modern Toss has moments of brilliance where it is cruelly funny or just downright rude. This shit is  mundane.

I like Modern Toss - it has a great "take it or leave it" mentality, and I enjoy the bleakness.

imitationleather

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 20, 2019, 02:42:39 PM
Fucking Hell!  I'll often internally sing to myself, after consuming some spicy food, when sat on the toilet with a burning anus 'the burning ring of fire' but I would never dream of taking that thought and transcribing it to a comic because it's a fucking obvious and trite thing to think.

I remember Ring of Fire being used in this exact same context in an advert for loo paper or supermarket curries or Mini Milks (for putting up the anus for comfort) or something years back.

Twed

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 20, 2019, 02:42:39 PM
That's my usual benchmark - published works should be better than a thing that people might just say in casual conversation or think to themselves on the bog. When somebody posts "i like to drink coffee excessively ^_^" as a comic meant for public consumption all I see is a declaration that they find their own mundanity vitally important and other people should take time out of their lives to consume it.

Twed

pupshaw

alan nagsworth

Quote from: imitationleather on January 20, 2019, 03:49:56 PM
I remember Ring of Fire being used in this exact same context in an advert for loo paper or supermarket curries or Mini Milks (for putting up the anus for comfort) or something years back.

My own recollection of it is on Come Dine With Me (when it were good, like), playing as the incidental music when one of the hosts had cooked a particularly spicy meal that the guests were struggling with. I loved that. Not too much attention brought to it, no jokey mention of the song title or anything from the not-yet-a-parody-of-himself narrator bloke, just subtle enough to be bloody great.

imitationleather

I remember now. It was Bombay Bad Boy Pot Noodles.

alan nagsworth

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on January 20, 2019, 06:04:22 PM
That's my usual benchmark - published works should be better than a thing that people might just say in casual conversation or think to themselves on the bog. When somebody posts "i like to drink coffee excessively ^_^" as a comic meant for public consumption all I see is a declaration that they find their own mundanity vitally important and other people should take time out of their lives to consume it.

I don't have much to say, other than that I agree.  Very much so.