Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:11:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Truly pathetic attempts at humour

Started by Tikwid, July 08, 2017, 01:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

Quote from: newbridge on July 11, 2017, 12:43:40 AM
I think that yellow blob is meant to represent a crowd of nerds staring at her breasts, which makes it such a monumentally bad artistic depiction that I have to give it some grudging respect.

I wonder if it's possible to pinpoint the moment where comic strips stopped having jokes and just became things that happened / did not happen to the author.

Panel 1: QDRPHNC arrives at the office. "Too bad I didn't have time for breakfast this morning. Still, I'll get a banana from the kitchen."
Panel 2: QDRPHNC stares at empty bowl in office kitchen.
Panel 3: "I can't believe you guys ate all the bananas!!!"

Billy

This is an early example. Used to follow this comic quite a bit, but he hasn't updated in two years now.

big egg

I'm kind of fascinated by that. Do we know if these web comics are popular? I'd be amazed if they were, but then I can barely comprehend that stuff like Fred Basset and Nemi (shudder) gets syndicated.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 11, 2017, 03:12:42 PM
I wonder if it's possible to pinpoint the moment where comic strips stopped having jokes and just became things that happened / did not happen to the author.

Panel 1: QDRPHNC arrives at the office. "Too bad I didn't have time for breakfast this morning. Still, I'll get a banana from the kitchen."
Panel 2: QDRPHNC stares at empty bowl in office kitchen.
Panel 3: "I can't believe you guys ate all the bananas!!!"

ACTUALLY HAPPENED

jobotic

ACTUALLY HAPPENED

sorry, my truly pathetic attempt at humour

ollyboro

Margaret Thatcher's sketch with Eddington and Hawthorne was fucking awful. She was known for possessing no sense of humour and then proved she had no acting ability either.

Phil_A

Quote from: big egg on July 11, 2017, 04:12:18 PM
I'm kind of fascinated by that. Do we know if these web comics are popular? I'd be amazed if they were, but then I can barely comprehend that stuff like Fred Basset and Nemi (shudder) gets syndicated.

They were, I think the popularity of the genre has been on the wane for some time, though

Penny Arcade was legitimately a big thing for a while (even spawned it's own RPG spin-off), and loads of other terrible imitators spawned on the back of that, like the dreadful Ctrl-Alt-Delete and VG Cats. But I doubt any of those where anywhere near as popular. I'd forgotten most of them existed until I saw that twitter thread.

Achewood(probably the best of the early webcomics) was also phenomenally successful in the early 2000s, until it was torpedoed by Chris Onstad's tendency to self-sabotage his own success. Like taking unannounced hiatuses of unspecified lengths(I swear the longest was like eighteen months without a word), or accepting money from fans for a book he no longer had any interest in actually producing.

Just looked at the most recent comic, it was from seven months ago. Oh, Chris.

The webcomics that are still around and read are mostly story-based, and some are really good. The "two guys sat on a couch making jokes about X-Boxes" genre has pretty much dwindled to nothing, thank goodness.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: big egg on July 11, 2017, 04:12:18 PM

newbridge

Quote from: ollyboro on July 11, 2017, 05:40:56 PM
Margaret Thatcher's sketch with Eddington and Hawthorne was fucking awful. She was known for possessing no sense of humour and then proved she had no acting ability either.

You just reminded me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkLzSLkYnGc

hard rocx and mettals

Quote from: newbridge on July 11, 2017, 11:52:01 PM
You just reminded me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkLzSLkYnGc

Likewise, that time Nigel Farage ruined a decent Harry + Paul sketch.

Cuellar

Quote from: newbridge on July 09, 2017, 06:58:23 PM
It's also based on another awful webcomic in that Twitter thread and someone's request that this bizarre drawing of Kramer become the final panel in every comic.

+1 for new avatar.

Quote from: Phil_A on July 11, 2017, 06:40:08 PM
Like taking unannounced hiatuses of unspecified lengths(I swear the longest was like eighteen months without a word), or accepting money from fans for a book he no longer had any interest in actually producing.

Except none of this actually happened.
To my recollection, all hiatuses were announced and explained pretty satisfactorily via social media and his blog. http://chrisonstad.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/some-news-to-wrap-up-2016.html explains the most recent end to the comic.

What book did he take money for that he had no interest in producing?

If you're referring to the Dark Horse-produced volumes of Achewood strips, it was Dark Horse who decided not to continue as it was a niche product and unfortunately sales were not great. Onstad was pretty gutted about it.

thenoise

Quote from: ollyboro on July 11, 2017, 05:40:56 PM

Was it as bad as Tony Blair is he bovvered lol

edit: not as bad as I remembered it being

Phil_A

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on July 12, 2017, 09:36:20 AM
Except none of this actually happened.
To my recollection, all hiatuses were announced and explained pretty satisfactorily via social media and his blog. http://chrisonstad.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/some-news-to-wrap-up-2016.html explains the most recent end to the comic.

What book did he take money for that he had no interest in producing?

If you're referring to the Dark Horse-produced volumes of Achewood strips, it was Dark Horse who decided not to continue as it was a niche product and unfortunately sales were not great. Onstad was pretty gutted about it.

No, it was a second Achewood cookbook. I understand he was going through a messy divorce at the time, but it was a bit rub to accept money in good faith and then just never mention it ever again.

Quote from: Phil_A on July 12, 2017, 10:23:04 AM
No, it was a second Achewood cookbook. I understand he was going through a messy divorce at the time, but it was a bit rub to accept money in good faith and then just never mention it ever again.

Ah okay, I didn't know about that one. That's a shame.

doppelkorn

big egg

Quote from: doppelkorn on July 12, 2017, 04:44:59 PM
What's the joke here? I'm completely lost.

You're obviously neither a geek or a gamer... it's a quote from the game Portal. She's correctly (in this instance) assuming that the mere mention of the word cake will elicit the pavlovian response "the cake is a lie" from any geek or gamer in the vicinity.

An equivalent might be:

"This party's cool but I wish there was a way to find the Peter Kay fans in the crowd"
"This garlic bread is great, it's so delicious and moist"
"GARLIC BREAD?!"
*The gang pull Sonic the Hedgehog facial expressions*

Phil_A

Quote from: doppelkorn on July 12, 2017, 04:44:59 PM
What's the joke here? I'm completely lost.

A reference to the popular physics-based puzzle game Portal, in which a murderous AI attempts to lure your player character to their death with promises of delicious cake. Late in the story you find some graffiti stating "THE CAKE IS A LIE", meaning you are being tricked.

This was then turned into a tiresome meme which was hammered to death until no-one can could possibly extract any further amusement from it.

The joke in the strip, if you can call it that, it that only true geeks will understand the reference and respond accordingly.

Bobtoo

Quote from: thenoise on July 12, 2017, 09:50:58 AM
Was it as bad as Tony Blair is he bovvered lol

edit: not as bad as I remembered it being

It put me in mind of the Tony Blair one too. His effort was much better, in fact he wasn't even the worst performer in the sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwaX_DgHZkM The Thatcher one appears to be for an audio recording, they are all reading from scripts and Mary Whitehouse is there too. Considering Thatcher wrote the script and is playing herself her delivery is fucking awful, like a school kid doing a reading at assembly.

notjosh

Quote from: Bobtoo on July 12, 2017, 05:39:24 PM
It put me in mind of the Tony Blair one too. His effort was much better, in fact he wasn't even the worst performer in the sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwaX_DgHZkM The Thatcher one appears to be for an audio recording, they are all reading from scripts and Mary Whitehouse is there too. Considering Thatcher wrote the script and is playing herself her delivery is fucking awful, like a school kid doing a reading at assembly.

Tony Blair is brilliant in that sketch. That was the moment that the scales fell from the eyes of the British people and we realised that he was in fact just a great actor. And who could forget this Oscar-worthy performance?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3qinDH_3HE

doppelkorn

I can't begin to explain how glad I am that I'm not a gamer or a geek.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 11, 2017, 03:12:42 PM

Autobiographical comics took off through the 60s and 70s. I'm not an expert but these were the kind of comics I liked best growing up, not at that time. Some of the artists are now famous. A lot of the comics had grave historical or personal subjects but Harvey Pekar's American Splendor stands out for elevating the mundane. There was a film about him starring Paul Giamatti. Perhaps that is the slice of life origin of the woman whose enormous outdoor cheese reflects the faces staring at her boobs.

QDRPHNC

Oh yeah, love American Splendor (the movie and the comic). But it at least has subtext, not basically a Tweet about some mundane non event that happened to the author that day, in three panels.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteA reference to the popular physics-based puzzle game Portal, in which a murderous AI attempts to lure your player character to their death with promises of delicious cake. Late in the story you find some graffiti stating "THE CAKE IS A LIE", meaning you are being tricked.

This was then turned into a tiresome meme which was hammered to death until no-one can could possibly extract any further amusement from it.

The joke in the strip, if you can call it that, it that only true geeks will understand the reference and respond accordingly.

In addition, the use of the phrase 'delicious and moist' is a direct description of the non-existent cake by GLaDoS, the murderous AI concerned, in a song called 'Still Alive' which 'she' sings over the end credits. In all fairness, it's a nice little song - and it too became a meme used by wankers within minutes.

Steven

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on July 13, 2017, 12:02:26 AM
In addition, the use of the phrase 'delicious and moist' is a direct description of the non-existent cake by GLaDoS, the murderous AI concerned, in a song called 'Still Alive' which 'she' sings over the end credits. In all fairness, it's a nice little song - and it too became a meme used by wankers within minutes.

Not all wankers.

Catalogue Trousers

Okay, and obnoxious furries as well, then.

Quincey

Sarah Teather's Lib Dem conference stand up.

Balls of Steel's "let's harass innocent members of the public and ruin their day for lols"