Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:42:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Truly pathetic attempts at humour

Started by Tikwid, July 08, 2017, 01:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bob

Quote from: bgmnts on May 18, 2020, 06:05:46 PM
What is the joke and what is actually happening here?

The shitty punchline has been cropped off in that image.  She used her purchase of an eraser as a ruse to cover the small mountain of batteries that she'd nicked in the process.  Do ya see?  'Cause she does her art on a tablet, so batteries were her "art supplies".  Arf arf!

Clownbaby

One thing I really fucking hated when I was doing Illustration at uni was how many graphic designers and lecturers thought smug little in-jokes about fonts and Photoshop and Letraset and rulers I dunno, were so hilarious. Fucking bright yellow poster with just ''Helvetica'' in the middle but in Comic Sans, piss off

Absolutely no better than the dad-joke Asda t-shirts they'd probably rip the shit out of

ProvanFan

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on May 18, 2020, 05:53:25 PM
Wasn't really sure what other thread to post this in, and it really isn't worth starting a fresh thread just for this video, but this got brought to my attention earlier.

Apparently, in December 1994, someone thought it would be a good idea to release a danced-up version of the theme from 'One Foot In The Grave'.  (The CD single contains no less than 5 additional dance remixes).

Anyway, a music video was made, featuring Eric Idle and Richard Wilson (true to form, Idle is filmed sitting by a swimming pool in Los Angeles). 
Idle mimes along and does some appalling half-arsed physical comedy, and it's the most pathetic, unfunny, tossed-off-in-about-an-hour thing I've seen in some time.

BEHOLD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdtAXqec9-w

Really feeling that beat.

keir

Wasn't really sure what other thread to post this in, and it really isn't worth starting a fresh thread just for this video, but this got brought to my attention earlier.

Apparently, in December 1994, someone thought it would be a good idea to release a danced-up version of the theme from 'One Foot In The Grave'.  (The CD single contains no less than 5 additional dance remixes).

Anyway, a music video was made, featuring Eric Idle and Richard Wilson (true to form, Idle is filmed sitting by a swimming pool in Los Angeles). 
Idle mimes along and does some appalling half-arsed physical comedy, and it's the most pathetic, unfunny, tossed-off-in-about-an-hour thing I've seen in some time.

BEHOLD.

That's incredible. I've never heard such a half-arsed dance version. If, say, Little & Large had done of dance version of something, not for a single, just for a sketch, I don't think it would have been as tepid as that.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 18, 2020, 06:47:39 PM
The shitty punchline has been cropped off in that image.  She used her purchase of an eraser as a ruse to cover the small mountain of batteries that she'd nicked in the process.  Do ya see?  'Cause she does her art on a tablet, so batteries were her "art supplies".  Arf arf!

she stole a bunch of pencils too? oh look, nice comeback strip in its replies though

how the fuck does this person have a patreon. is this a joke??!!

https://twitter.com/SweetBeans99/status/1256622080994373633/photo/1

THAT'S NOT A JOKE

chveik

everyone has a fucking patreon these days grandad

idunnosomename

Quote from: chveik on May 20, 2020, 01:25:14 AM
everyone has a fucking patreon these days grandad
and here i am shoving jam jars up my ass for free!??!

Hand Solo

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 20, 2020, 01:31:30 AM
and here i am shoving jam jars up my ass for free!??!

Oh, that's you? I'm a big fan, that video had me in stitches.

Had you in stitches too from the looks of it.

idunnosomename

donate to my ko-fi to help with the surgery

Hand Solo

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 20, 2020, 01:38:12 AM
donate to my ko-fi to help with the surgery

You should branch out a bit for more donations. It was a vintage Robertson's jar, wasn't it? So it was only listed in the BBC section.

Sebastian Cobb

Ko-Fi iis exactly what ricard littlejohn would invent if his idea of the internet wasn't about 15 years out of date.

momatt

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 20, 2020, 01:15:07 AM
she stole a bunch of pencils too? oh look, nice comeback strip in its replies though

THAT'S NOT A JOKE

Comics don't have to be funny.
But that's not very good either.

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 20, 2020, 01:15:07 AM

THAT'S NOT A JOKE

Anyone ever notice how when you're a hedgehog and you stuff up at work the company always gets the cat to sack you? Certainly no laughing matter, but to me this scenario rings true.

Cuellar

BEHOLD.

This is excellent. Like one of Limmy's techno covers.

the

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 20, 2020, 01:15:07 AMoh look, nice comeback strip in its replies though

(...)
THAT'S NOT A JOKE

I'm certain that this comic is 'not for me' to put it mildly, but at the same time it seems clear that that strip is part of a longer story and is not necessarily a joke in itself.

'"The look on her face was one of disappointment." ... And that's good is it?'

ajsmith2

The comic with the hedgehog getting sacked posted on this page is a (relatively, anyway) good reply strip to the original comic (posted in part on the  previous page) about someone making a cutsey joke about nicking batteries: IE the joke in the reply strip (drawn by someone else) being it isn't so wonderfully adorkable that you're stealing batteries when you see the consequences for the poor minimum wage staff that occurs in the wake of your selfishness. Several of the replies on this page seem to have mistaken the comeback 'hedgehog sacked' strip as being held up as a bad attempt at humour when it's a critique of one. Think we need to full original strip that it was responding to to be posted to give the full context:

ajsmith2

...to which the reply strip (drawn by as different artist who was not a fan of the original comic) goes chronologically here:

the

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 20, 2020, 11:39:13 AMThe comic with the hedgehog getting sacked posted on this page is a (relatively, anyway) good reply strip to the original comic (posted in part on the  previous page) about someone making a cutsey joke about nicking batteries: IE the joke in the reply strip (drawn by someone else) being it isn't so wonderfully adorkable that you're stealing batteries when you see the consequences for the poor minimum wage staff that occurs in the wake of your selfishness. Several of the replies on this page seem to have mistaken the comeback 'hedgehog sacked' strip as being held up as a bad attempt at humour when it's a critique of one. Think we need to full original strip that it was responding to to be posted to give the full context:

Thanks for clarifying. That'll teach me for letting my guard down to reposted Twittershit

One thing: Aren't they more likely to be pens than batteries? A) They don't look like batteries, and B) batteries aren't art supplies.

idunnosomename

Part of the failing of the comic is you're so confused by the identity of what she is stealing that youre distracted from the entire selfish narcissism of the whole pointless endeavour

ajsmith2

Quote from: the on May 20, 2020, 11:53:27 AM
Thanks for clarifying. That'll teach me for letting my guard down to reposted Twittershit

One thing: Aren't they more likely to be pens than batteries? A) They don't look like batteries, and B) batteries aren't art supplies.

I was going as per Jim Bob's post at the top of this page about the original comic which interpreted them as batteries (the 'joke' being that they are her actual art supplles lol) . But looking at the strip again, they do indeed look more like pens and indeed in this day and age people tend not to use batteries much in digital art, what with tablets and other modern art tools all being powered by being plugged in or pre charged, so I think you're right. Sorry if my clarification itself contained a degree of obfustication!

Jerzy Bondov

They look like ink cartridges to me

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 20, 2020, 11:50:47 AM
...to which the reply strip (drawn by as different artist who was not a fan of the original comic) goes chronologically here:

Yes, the cartoonist has attempted an Austin Powers- esque " what about the families of those unfortunate evil genius world domination- plotting  bad guy's henchmen who get offed  by the suave spylike  good guy?" type rebuttal to the original artist's unfunny cartoon.A noble effort, 6/10.

the

All that comic really wants to say is:

- Cuh, art block! Eh, other artists?
- Eurgh corporate America!
- Artists are rebels or think they are
- Acquisition of stuff doesn't give you ideas

In a hamfisted weak piddle way. (But then webcomics are low hanging fruit, as regular visitors to the thread will be aware.)

El Unicornio, mang

I don't need to tell you all that Chubby Brown is bad, but I'm particularly irked by his popular joke about how reincarnation can't be real because if it was, he'd have come back as Catherine Zeta-Jones's tampon, which got uproarious laughter. This doesn't work for many reasons:

He's not dead yet, and was born long before CZJ, so right off the bat it makes no sense
Reincarnation (supposedly) brings you back as a living thing, not an inanimate object
Saying something isn't real just because you don't get what you want from it. "I've never won the lottery so therefore the lottery can't be real"
You don't get to choose what you come back as, and you wouldn't be granted something based on your sexual fantasies
Why would you want to come back as something that is plugged entirely into a hole and used to absorb menstrual blood, and then thrown away, even if you did really fancy the person?

And it's just not funny.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Wouldn't he be better off coming back as Ms. Zeta- Jones's boyfriend/ hubby/ fuckbuddy?

Unless he's indicating that he'd get a grandstand view of inside the Welsh actress' chuff, and he'd really like that, possibly also appreciating getting liberally doused in her menstrual seepage, and that would all be worth getting thrown away for at the end of the process. It takes all sorts.

It really is a crap joke for many reasons, not least his erroneous use of " I'd have come back", which seems to indicate that he's dead, and his appreciative audience are being entertained by a ghost, and should all be saying " Yikes!" , then running off like Shaggy and Scooby, instead of sitting there laughing.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 20, 2020, 12:47:34 PM
Wouldn't he be better off coming back as Ms. Zeta- Jones's boyfriend/ hubby/ fuckbuddy?

Or her toilet seat, if he really must go down the whimsical/abstract comedic mental image route. Then he gets to have her sit on him several times a day.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yeah, that'd work better.

Hey, you're a better comedian than Roy " Chubby" Brown!  I expect that's made your day.

the

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 20, 2020, 12:40:01 PMI don't need to tell you all that Chubby Brown is bad, but I'm particularly irked by his popular joke about how reincarnation can't be real because if it was, he'd have come back as Catherine Zeta-Jones's tampon, which got uproarious laughter. This doesn't work for many reasons:

He's not dead yet, and was born long before CZJ, so right off the bat it makes no sense
Reincarnation (supposedly) brings you back as a living thing, not an inanimate object
Saying something isn't real just because you don't get what you want from it. "I've never won the lottery so therefore the lottery can't be real"
You don't get to choose what you come back as, and you wouldn't be granted something based on your sexual fantasies
Why would you want to come back as something that is plugged entirely into a hole and used to absorb menstrual blood, and then thrown away, even if you did really fancy the person?

And it's just not funny.

Roy Chubby Brown gigs aren't really comedy gigs, they're a contract between his audience and him. He makes a lot of nasty noise that doesn't bear scrutiny and they make a load of cathartic noise in return, that at last they can be in presence of a load of nasty noise of an evening. With a funny hat!

The contractual nature of it makes it a lazy and complacent relationship, so he often only needs to make the noise of joke to get a laugh.

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 20, 2020, 12:52:16 PMOr her toilet seat, if he really must go down the whimsical/abstract comedic mental image route. Then he gets to have her sit on him several times a day.

Too abstract, the audience are laughing at the mental image of him being in her fanny. To the exclusion of tripping over the non-logic of the joke.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 20, 2020, 12:40:01 PM
I don't need to tell you all that Chubby Brown is bad, but I'm particularly irked by his popular joke about how reincarnation can't be real because if it was, he'd have come back as Catherine Zeta-Jones's tampon, which got uproarious laughter. This doesn't work for many reasons:

And it's just not funny.

I've been trying to look up the joke again online and he's saying that's what Iraqis believe in, which basically completes a bingo list of ignorance, but yeh it is the directness of the image and the bluster by which it is told that makes it a good joke in the context of chubby.