Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:57:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Truly pathetic attempts at humour

Started by Tikwid, July 08, 2017, 01:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

bgmnts

What's the deal with airplane peanuts?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: C_Larence on May 22, 2020, 06:17:05 PM
I prefer this one, which I believe was posted on the forum before. At least this one has more of a joke to it than just straight lip syncing.
https://vm.tiktok.com/wAcefs/

Here's Seinfeld, arbiter of what's funny and why, dissecting the frog in the NYT and I think thoroughly missing the point.

I mean yeah the one you posted is great as a singular joke, but as a genre, I don't think it has much life in it.

Dewt

Animal + addressing mental health

is very much a formula and some people make a living off of it

Abnormal Palm

Makin croissants like a lil cunt wolf

samadriel

Damn, I was expecting that to go somewhere.

neveragain

Y'know, I don't think these comic strips are meant to be funny. They're just meant to remind people going through mental difficulties that they're not alone.

idunnosomename

you never see them doing pathology other than depression do you though. like OHHH IM A GIRAFFE with CROHNS DISEASE

makes u think

QDRPHNC

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 24, 2020, 01:43:48 PM
you never see them doing pathology other than depression do you though. like OHHH IM A GIRAFFE with CROHNS DISEASE

makes u think

I suspect there's probably hentai that covers that but I'm sure as fuck not going to attempt to confirm it.

Dewt

Quote from: neveragain on May 24, 2020, 01:24:25 PM
Y'know, I don't think these comic strips are meant to be funny. They're just meant to remind people going through mental difficulties that they're not alone.
Well they're all the same thing, for money, anyway

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

kind of like everything is for money

Dewt

Well I wish I could draw a sad otter, then.

Dusty Substance

A good 99% of social media's attempts at satirising the whole Dominic Cummings thing has been beyond feeble. Smug, ill thought out and wholly unoriginal content. The last five days has been utterly unbearable.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 28, 2020, 02:43:09 PMA good 99% of social media's attempts at satirising the whole Dominic Cummings thing has been beyond feeble. Smug, ill thought out and wholly unoriginal content. The last five days has been utterly unbearable.
To be fair, it's difficult to make the situation more absurd than it actually is.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: machotrouts on May 22, 2020, 07:28:22 PM

WHY are they so doggedly committed to this illiterate house style? I mean besides "there's no incentive to change because people fucking follow and like this worthless shit anyway".

It's not funny because you have no emotional involvement in something you've literally only found out about 10 seconds before, and while briefer, the conjunction "as" doesn't provide any more of a connection than "whence" or "notwithstanding" would. It's very similar to the other lowest form of humour i.e. describing a newspaper cartoon and reading out the punchline. But at least nobody has to look at Giles.

EDIT: Is the show's logo meant to be a t-shirt?
EDIT2: Or a mushroom?

Ferris

Retinend

She's young, but I think she's fair game: teen vblogger attempting to do comedy about how "quirky girls" are annoying (ok) and that you "shouldn't try to be different" (ok?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKzeLsAisw

paruses

Quote from: Retinend on September 25, 2020, 07:27:16 AM
She's young, but I think she's fair game: teen vblogger attempting to do comedy about how "quirky girls" are annoying (ok) and that you "shouldn't try to be different" (ok?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKzeLsAisw

I did laugh at the appraisal bit "if you don't document it how are people supposed to gauge how quirky you are?!"

To be fair I am not the demographic this is aimed at (although it's quite weak).

Retinend

I identify as a teenaged quirky girl, so it's personal, I admit.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Retinend on September 25, 2020, 07:27:16 AM

I like her channel, I think she's got a good sense of humour and picks interesting topics. Been following her on Youtube for a year or so now and find her videos some of the funniest on Youtube. Her skits are quite impressive when you consider it is just her filming herself.

Retinend

Good! Then she's definitely fair game, and I'm not punching down if I get on my soap box about it. So:...

...In my opinion she overdoes the scorn and the ditziness of the two characters, respectively. Obviously the premise of the joke is that we have a patient, mature person on one side, struggling to tolerate someone who has illusions of grandeur on the other.  Yet I find, in the performance, she is so ditsy with the "knows nothing" character that it comes across as a stock "Valley girl" type. Effectively, a harmless idiot who hasn't yet even grasped what the word "quirky" even means. On the other hand, she is so contemptuous with the "knows better" character that it comes across as unreasonably irritable. So in the end I ended up siding with her strawman character, who is merely a harmless idiot, over her steelman character, who is passive aggressive and, without putting too fine a point on it, perversely conformist in her sentiments.

Retinend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKBquI9vKEc

Just leaving this here

edit- actually I will not be so lazy: this is the popular YouTuber Ben Levin who is a technically talented progressive rock musician who also fancies himself a comedian since appearing on the Tim Heidecker Office Hours podcast - now closely imitating that well-worn Tim&Eric style.

Fr.Bigley

JaDanketies

I like this woman Help Helen Smash / Laura Clery who is often cited as terrible humour for unfunny people. I think her detractors just don't get it

Retinend

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on November 30, 2020, 12:26:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms7capx4Cb8

File under "Jenna Marbles".

QuoteAlso, this mouth breather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X981Soxoxbg

Wow the characters are bored of the premise before I even recognized what it was.

QuoteYoutubers in general

There's good comedy on YouTube but no funny YouTubers. What's up with that? Oh, there are a few examples (Gus Johnson and Jreg), but few people who are actually funny going down the YouTube path to fame. I think funny people are too often introverts and wouldn't want to document their lives so closely.

Fr.Bigley

Think you're right about the introverts thing not wanting to put it out there for fear of comment reprisal. It's also a case of integrity I think, The same way you'd have outstanding artists who could conceivably go on the X-factor or whatever and easily win it but those serious about their art wouldn't sell out that easily for 5 mins of fame.

Retinend

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 30, 2020, 12:38:34 PM
I like this woman Help Helen Smash / Laura Clery who is often cited as terrible humour for unfunny people. I think her detractors just don't get it

I'm with you.... insofar as it's definitely not terrible. It's just a little bit light.

...With all this Tik-Tok/Insta type media, it's "looking good" that is always the primary motivation: here, the comedy is only bare bones (just like her).

The majority of the runtime is mostly just girating hips and cleavage
...which reminds me of this truly pathetic attempt at humour by Kathrine Ryan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGvmQYMlOvI [Dad goes a bit quiet]

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on November 30, 2020, 02:02:38 PM
Think you're right about the introverts thing not wanting to put it out there for fear of comment reprisal. It's also a case of integrity I think, The same way you'd have outstanding artists who could conceivably go on the X-factor or whatever and easily win it but those serious about their art wouldn't sell out that easily for 5 mins of fame.

Yeah that's what I was thinking exactly. The "upload schedule" would totally kill my creativity if I even ever had that opportunity (unless it was "a few times per year" or something). Patreon, which funds most of these YouTubers, presumes that some content will be uploaded every month, since people are debited every month. To me that's just a bad incentive. It should be that you get access to a person's work in progress and have a chance to give insight and help that person out. That's what a "patron" was supposed to be, historically. But I digress.

It reminds me of this hard-working, funny guy called "mrgirl" on YouTube who is trying to play the YouTube game but for making a joke a bunch of losers are on his case subjecting him to a campaign of abuse, baselessly slandering him as a pedophile. He is very brave for soldiering on.