Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:39:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Truly pathetic attempts at humour

Started by Tikwid, July 08, 2017, 01:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr.Bigley

Just doesn't seem like its worth it at all if you're a true creative, and with the delph of content and competition I would hazard a bet it's probably easier to get work on some side project of a major network than Youtube..Though I have seen examples of this where people are contacted by said networks BECAUSE of their tube presence.

Gone are the days where just being prolific online gets you anywhere (Limmy, for example)

Retinend

Yeah you're right. A YouTube presence of some sort is merely "expected", but it probably works against your mainstream credentials if you are a working YouTuber serving your niche audience exactly what it wants to hear, week on week. And if you're at that point you've probably lost any sense of mainstream appeal. You see some of the people popular on YouTube and you just ask "why?"

Cuellar

After any news event involving a website cock up or zany internet mistake, hundreds of wanks on twitter rush to tweet

"Really excited for my first day as webmaster for [company, government department, celebrity]. Now to take a big sip of coffee and see what everybody is talking about"

Right, enough now, I should think.

Echo Valley 2-6809

I think I get it, but can I have another another clue?

phantom_power

It is missing him getting a D in maths for knowing 1+1=2

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on July 19, 2021, 12:52:55 PM
I think I get it, but can I have another another clue?

See, without the speech bubble, hammering home the fuck out of the punchline, that would've been pretty good.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on May 18, 2020, 05:53:25 PM
Wasn't really sure what other thread to post this in, and it really isn't worth starting a fresh thread just for this video, but this got brought to my attention earlier.

Apparently, in December 1994, someone thought it would be a good idea to release a danced-up version of the theme from 'One Foot In The Grave'.  (The CD single contains no less than 5 additional dance remixes).

Anyway, a music video was made, featuring Eric Idle and Richard Wilson (true to form, Idle is filmed sitting by a swimming pool in Los Angeles). 
Idle mimes along and does some appalling half-arsed physical comedy, and it's the most pathetic, unfunny, tossed-off-in-about-an-hour thing I've seen in some time.

BEHOLD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdtAXqec9-w

Probably just because it was posted here, this made me laugh out loud

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 19, 2021, 01:30:46 PM
See, without the speech bubble, hammering home the fuck out of the punchline, that would've been pretty good.

That's exactly what I said when someone sent it to me! I wondered if it didn't have the speech bubble originally but no one he showed it to got the joke.

He wasn't giving anything away with this one:

Gurke and Hare

One for the US punchlines thread I think.

idunnosomename

POPCORN POPCORN POPCORN!!! HE INVENTED THE POPCORN

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 20, 2021, 12:05:29 AM
POPCORN POPCORN POPCORN!!! HE INVENTED THE POPCORN

Quote from: WikipediaOn September 19, 1995, Redenbacher died in the Jacuzzi of his condominium in Coronado, California. He had suffered a heart attack and drowned. He was cremated and his ashes scattered at sea
There will be a cartoon about your cremation one day. RIP big man.

Replies From View

Quote from: machotrouts on May 22, 2020, 07:28:22 PM
The insanely rigid cadence of @haveigotnews tweets is infuriating. "Don't spend two thirds of your tweet infodumping context for your drearily obvious punchline" is Twitter Satire 101.

My least favourite aspect of HIGNFY Voice is how half of their tweets take the form "As [Thing X], [Thing Y]", which clearly implies Thing X and Thing Y happen concurrently, and yet Thing Y usually only makes sense as a reaction to Thing X.

WHY are they so doggedly committed to this illiterate house style? I mean besides "there's no incentive to change because people fucking follow and like this worthless shit anyway".

Horrible.  It reads like the first effort of a school child to write using a fronted adverbial.

Replies From View

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 24, 2020, 06:23:45 AM
Makin croissants like a lil cunt wolf

Oh I thought they were meant to be prawns.

That's a quality that so many of these cartoons have in common:  half-arsed drawings that don't even attempt to communicate what is going on, or make you feel that you are missing the crucial "funny" detail and the only way to grasp it is to figure out what the cunt wolf is cooking or the cat is stealing from the art shop.

It's Cow Tools except by someone without the self-awareness to know it's a mistake.

Kankurette

The Far Side was actually funny. This is just a crap rip-off.

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 24, 2020, 01:43:48 PM
you never see them doing pathology other than depression do you though. like OHHH IM A GIRAFFE with CROHNS DISEASE

makes u think

And they always seem to be mocking it as well.  Presenting depression as an excuse for laziness, in a manner that seems to say "we all openly accept this to be the case but we turn a blind eye because we all play for sympathy in this way".

And for that reason amongst many others, it can fuck off.

Replies From View

Quote from: Kankurette on July 20, 2021, 12:48:32 PM
The Far Side was actually funny. This is just a crap rip-off.

Very true, but Gary Larson was always himself disappointed with Cow Tools, which is the only reason I mentioned it.

His argument was that he made a mistake shaping one of the tools as a recognisable saw, because it made readers assume that the other tools were also meant to represent or be based upon specific tools, and that they were missing the joke by not grasping what they were.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Scott Hilburn (see above) admits he's mostly influenced by Gary Larson, but there's too much exposition and weak puns in his work:

This is good though, and could pass for one of Larson's:

mippy

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 19, 2021, 01:30:46 PM

B3TA did this better, with just Cooke holding his report card.

Replies From View

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on July 20, 2021, 01:39:58 PM
Scott Hilburn (see above) admits he's mostly influenced by Gary Larson, but there's too much exposition and weak puns in his work:

This is good though, and could pass for one of Larson's:

These anger me, as at first glance you just assume Gary Larson's later work is complete shite.

idunnosomename

speaking of depression comics, i hate those cute picture book dinosaurs that go "I am depressed."

they're the current fucking aliens who do human stuff but explain it like HMM I HAVE CONCLUDED PERIOD OF REST. NOW TIME TO DRINK BROWN STIMULATING LIQUID. hopefully the creator gets cancelled for being a fundie.

edit this one

it's also directly ripping off Webcomic Name there, but it's always basically ripping off its cutesy laziness, but without the genuine meta-of the identical punchline that still manages to be funny everytime

Replies From View

Is the yellow one meant to represent a species that has gone extinct from the blue one's point of view?  Genuinely can't wrap my head around the content.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Replies From View on July 20, 2021, 04:15:48 PM
Is the yellow one meant to represent a species that has gone extinct from the blue one's point of view?  Genuinely can't wrap my head around the content.
Looks like a therapy session, and Blue is the therapist.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Replies From View on July 20, 2021, 02:42:46 PM
These anger me, as at first glance you just assume Gary Larson's later work is complete shite.

These are just crap puns, and I'm not sure how the logic works in the second.

Replies From View

Luckily there's no mistaking those for Gary Larson.

Reading these you would assume that all funny things have now already been done.

JesusAndYourBush

One comic strip I always hated was one called Garth that appeared in the Daily Mirror for years (they dropped it last year), and while all the other comic strips were self-contained, this one was a tiny tiny part of a longer story so if you hadn't seen all the previous ones, it made no sense whatsoever.  No fault with the art itself, but a crap idea to present it in the way they did.

PlanktonSideburns

Love how without that information its just a David Firth animation in comic form

Kankurette

Quote from: Replies From View on July 20, 2021, 12:56:48 PM
Very true, but Gary Larson was always himself disappointed with Cow Tools, which is the only reason I mentioned it.

His argument was that he made a mistake shaping one of the tools as a recognisable saw, because it made readers assume that the other tools were also meant to represent or be based upon specific tools, and that they were missing the joke by not grasping what they were.
I remember that. I've got one of his books where he talks about cartoons that got complaints and that was one of them.

Replies From View

Quote from: Kankurette on July 21, 2021, 08:34:05 AM
I remember that. I've got one of his books where he talks about cartoons that got complaints and that was one of them.

The Prehistory of the Far Side.  It's crucial reading.

bakabaka

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 20, 2021, 07:23:13 PM
One comic strip I always hated was one called Garth that appeared in the Daily Mirror for years (they dropped it last year), and while all the other comic strips were self-contained, this one was a tiny tiny part of a longer story so if you hadn't seen all the previous ones, it made no sense whatsoever.  No fault with the art itself, but a crap idea to present it in the way they did.

Asterix was published like that (at least in the early days). When reading the books, imagine getting to read half a page a week. It was only after a year or so that they would make sense.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on July 20, 2021, 01:39:58 PM

"I'm afraid you've caught a rare disease as a result of eating inhabitants of the forest planet Kashyyyk."
"Gee, guess I better change my name from the Wookiee monster."