Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:01:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Truly pathetic attempts at humour

Started by Tikwid, July 08, 2017, 01:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenoise

Quote from: Quincey on July 13, 2017, 09:46:46 AM
Sarah Teather's Lib Dem conference stand up.

Did anyone see Lembit Opik's one man show at the Edinburgh Fringe last year?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on July 09, 2017, 07:41:19 PM
At Cambridge station they've put up a little funny Fred Bassett-esque comic to liven up all the commuters

I was sort of torn between here or the desolation thread

Greater Anglia are BACK ON TOP FORM

I wholeheartedly agree, munted-eyed minion with a deformed tentacle for an arm

Ferris

Quote from: TheWoodenSpoon on July 13, 2017, 09:54:24 AM
Phill Jupitus.

I saw him at the fringe doing a surprise spot as Porky the Poet. He was alright, as I recall.

Every interview I've heard of him he sounds so fucking bitter though. Like, Partridge-esque levels of score-settling and self-aggrandizement.

Ferris

My shout is "Aunty Acid". I can't bring myself to post any examples, but google it.

Someone at my office has a calendar and I see a new cartoon every day. Very bad for my blood pressure.

Skip Bittman

Being American, I figured the culture gap would probably explain most of the comedy that doesn't work for me that I've been pointed at by this board for the past 15 years or so. I have no problem adoring Vic and Bob. Hancock's Half Hour? Sign me up for some grim 50s slices of boring Sunday afternoon. I can handle high dosages of Limmy injected into the bloodstream and howl like a loon.

But Phill Jupitus? What the hell is that about and how did you guys let it happen?

Twed

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 16, 2017, 04:26:01 AM
My shout is "Aunty Acid". I can't bring myself to post any examples, but google it.

Someone at my office has a calendar and I see a new cartoon every day. Very bad for my blood pressure.
Holy shit

http://www.auntyacid.com/18-things-i-rather-hear-husband-say-i-love/

"What if he said things you'd like to hear!!! This is a funny joke so let's do it 18 times over"

Barry Admin

Quote from: neardark on July 16, 2017, 01:55:37 PM
http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,61296.0.html

I've been really trying (straining, if you will) not to say anything, but yeah, the anal fixation on here is too much for me, I must admit. Ditto the toilet humour obsession, and the forced memes, where people are literally told to repeat phrases for the gratification of someone's ego. I actually skipped buying Viz this month, as I think I'm just completely worn out with regards humour about shiteing, sticking things up arises and wanking.

So yeah, not to pick on that thread/thread starter in particular or anything, but I was just relieved (like after a shit etc) to see I'm not the only miserable bastard on here. :-)

DrGreggles

Ferris

Glebe

[tag]You don't have to be pathetic to post here... but it helps![/tag]

weekender

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 16, 2017, 02:07:31 PM
I've been really trying (straining, if you will) not to say anything, but yeah, the anal fixation on here is too much for me, I must admit. Ditto the toilet humour obsession, and the forced memes, where people are literally told to repeat phrases for the gratification of someone's ego. I actually skipped buying Viz this month, as I think I'm just completely worn out with regards humour about shiteing, sticking things up arises and wanking.

So yeah, not to pick on that thread/thread starter in particular or anything, but I was just relieved (like after a shit etc) to see I'm not the only miserable bastard on here. :-)

I just wanted to say thank you for articulating (mostly) what I think.  I think you're being a bit harsh on Viz to be fair, they're usually a bit cleverer than is assumed, although I have to admit that I dislike Roger's Profanisaurus and the 'wacky' overseas products that look a bit like swear words.

But yeah, it's like in the Doctor Who thread when a certain poster starts talking about Doctor Who's bottom.  It's never funny, it's never amusing, it's never satirical, it's never...anything.  It just makes me feel so kind of...weary.

I genuinely don't understand what *anyone* gains from it.

New Jack

Back before I joined CaB, I would browse from work mainly for comedy news, wondering why there was such a faux-ironic or possibly even non-ironic fixation on arses, shitting, arses shitting, bums, wee and poo (you even have a poster named Poo for fuck's sake).

Now I am closer to the forum, by which I mean look at GBS, I start to wonder what, on a pathological level, is 'up' for such things as farts and wee to become interweaved with the identity of the forum. The maxim of 'arses, baldness, phimosis, cum, tossing off, diarrhea, farts getting into mouths, tits' screams loud.

Those who wish to challenge the trends might want to consider going over the top with the threads about shit and piss and wanking, in an effort to satisfy all the strange urges behind this activity in an orgy of shite that my toddler nieces are too sophisticated for, but I've accepted it as part of the site's DNA, proof that even a relative newcomer can mentally block the fucking shit that marks out the arse-besotted dullards.

I have no doubt that a satirical 'what's the best piss you've ever done?' thread would reach multiple pages. I like to think I'd only add surrealistic content to that, such as when I pissed in my freezer on Christmas day and (snip!)

newbridge

Thursday

Quote from: weekender on July 16, 2017, 03:51:40 PM
I just wanted to say thank you for articulating (mostly) what I think.  I think you're being a bit harsh on Viz to be fair, they're usually a bit cleverer than is assumed, although I have to admit that I dislike Roger's Profanisaurus and the 'wacky' overseas products that look a bit like swear words.

But yeah, it's like in the Doctor Who thread when a certain poster starts talking about Doctor Who's bottom.  It's never funny, it's never amusing, it's never satirical, it's never...anything.  It just makes me feel so kind of...weary.

I genuinely don't understand what *anyone* gains from it.

I think sometimes people feel compelled to make the most juvenile, obvious joke possible, It's like a reflex reaction. Almost as a joke on the fact that we all know that joke is there so we might as well make that joke, as if there's something kind of post-modern irony to it. But even that just becomes incredibly tiresome.

weekender

But there's not a joke in the first place, is there?

It's just weird, it seems like constructing random word couplings has become the height of comedy.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: New Jack on July 16, 2017, 04:30:09 PM
...wondering why there was such a faux-ironic or possibly even non-ironic fixation...

...I start to wonder what, on a pathological level...

Those who wish to challenge the trends might want to consider...

....I have no doubt that a satirical...

It's dorks chatting shit to pass the time.

New Jack

New Jack

OK, you defend it to the admin rather than just say "nope" to me. It's easy to disagree with me when the admin has complained about the same stuff.

Quote from: New Jack on July 17, 2017, 07:03:11 PM
OK, you defend it to the admin rather than just say "nope" to me. It's easy to disagree with me when the admin has complained about the same stuff.

It's usually a lot more creative than you're giving it credit for. If you don't like it, probably best not to engage with it. There's plenty of threads with different appeal. Room enough for everyone.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: New Jack on July 17, 2017, 05:24:44 PM
Aka the Banter defence...

I'm not defending anything or anyone, my point was just that pondering the immaturity of peoples' anonymous posts on the internet, on a forum populated mostly by male geeks, seems a bit futile.

thenoise

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on July 17, 2017, 07:45:36 PM
It's usually a lot more creative than you're giving it credit for.

Yeah.  I know Barry isn't a fan, but there is a lot more to Poo's body of work than just witlessly referencing the lavatory.

Sin Agog

The whole bordered images/slogans side of the internet is one I tend to ignore, but I'd imagine it gives people who aren't total verb-whores (like me) an opportunity to pop their heads over the fence.

New Jack

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on July 17, 2017, 07:45:36 PM
It's usually a lot more creative than you're giving it credit for. If you don't like it, probably best not to engage with it. There's plenty of threads with different appeal. Room enough for everyone.

Yeah, like the "Celebrity Dead" fake thread stuff? I'll just have to avoid everything I don't like... which is a shame, but some stuff is only funny the first 30 times or so.

Terryfuckwit

Chortle comedy reviews when they try to include jokes theyve come up with. And I love the site.

Quote from: New Jack on July 18, 2017, 07:39:30 PM
some stuff is only funny the first 30 times or so.

Leave Stewart Lee alone.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: weekender on July 16, 2017, 03:51:40 PM

I've said it before here, I genuinely believe Rogers Profanisaurus as a work of literary genius.