Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:56:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Podcasts

Started by popcorn, July 09, 2017, 02:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

What podcasts do you do? I devour hours of them, but I find it difficult finding ones I actually find consistently good. TELL ME YOUR FAVES.

I do:

The Adam Buxton Podcast
Everyone here knows this one. When Adam launched this it immediately became my favourite podcast. Whenever I see there's a new episode I get excited.

Kermode and Mayo movie thing
Everyone knows this one too. I listen each week but never really look forward to it. Whatever.

Harmontown
A kind of improvised standup chat show hosted by Dan Harmon, creator of Community, Rick and Morty, and some other stuff. How much you enjoy it largely depends on how much you like Harmon. I find him an endlessly funny, charming, interesting speaker, and I particularly enjoy his honesty about his masturbation habits. At the same time he also talks a lot of shit, and so do some of his guests - there's a lot of new-age bullshit and some appallingly misinformed debates. Sometimes things about it drag a bit, but it's become a kind of comforting background noise for me.

Waking Up with Sam Harris
Everyone here hates Sam Harris but I find him quite an interesting, thoughtful chap who Makes Me Think. I don't always agree with him, and a lot of the time I don't understand him. Some of his episodes are incredibly dry; others quite incendiary and exciting. I think my favourite bit was when he put forward an argument that the government was justified in asking Apple for a back door to hack phones, which shook me up a bit - he made an argument I hadn't thought of and made me wonder if I was wrong about everything in my entire life. Then the next episode he read out a counter-argument sent from a Google employee which had changed his mind. Phew.

Luke and Pete's Summer
This is a new one, only four episodes in as I write, hosted by two people I'd never heard of who apparently also do a football podcast, which explains why I'd never heard of it. They're just two funny gents having a chat. One of them does an extraordinary impression of the intro to One Week by the Barenaked Ladies ("IT'S BEEN ~") which I think is impressive.

Cane and Rinse
A group of British blokes play old games and discuss their merits. I find this sometimes quite insightful, and sometimes dreadful, depending on who's in the discussion that week. Because they're Brits they often drop in references to things like Blue Peter and Monster Munch which helps, somehow.

Thursday

You say that about Cane and Rinse but there's like 3 different Americans who tend to be rotated in. They're usually good though, and not the stereotype you might have in your head of an American games critic.

hewantstolurkatad

Ones people here either already know or would have no interest in:
Cane and Rinse
The Best Show on WFMU
The Lapsed Fan Wrestling Podcast
Review-A-Raw
99% Invisible
Reply All
We Hate Movies
The Flop House

Best of the rest:
Chapo Trap House
Super popular political podcast, very left leaning, anti-neoliberal, etc, funny

Watch out for Fireballs
Similar to Cane and Rinse, but a bit more obnoxious American

Retronauts
Varies wildly depending on topic (and one of the new hosts is such an awkward dude that his shows are literally unlistenable), but the key guys usually know a lot and they pick some pretty neat topics sometimes

You Must Remember This
This is surely popular enough that I don't have to describe it anymore? Karina Longworth does pretty detailed histories of various stories in Hollywood, usually based around a central theme for each season. Some of the more recent seasons haven't appealed to me as much, leaning towards stories that I know pretty well, but it's very well done on the whole

Between the Sheets
Two huge wrestling nerds work their way through an old issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter for about 6 hours each week.

The Changelog
JavaScript Jabber
Keeping up to date with that tech crap

Spiteface

My listening is:

SModcast

Kevin Smith (the "S") and Scott Mosier (the "M") talking. Occasonally guests filling in for Scott Mosier if he's unavailable or one-ff interviews. Some of the fill-in guests have gone on to start their own podcasts under the SModCo umbrella, which brings me on to:

Tell 'em, Steve-Dave!

Two long-time friends of Kevin Smith: Bryan Johnson and Walt Flanagan (Steve-Dave and Fanboy from Mallrats, respectively), with Brian "Q"Quinn (later of Impractical Jokers fame). Again, similar format to SModcast. Sometimes too long though. Spawned the TV series "Comic Book Men"

Hollywood Babble-On

Kevin Smith and Ralph Garman taking the piss out of Hollywood. Ralph's an aquired taste, but I do enjoy this.

Fat Man on Batman

Yet another Smith one. Used to be an awesome series of interviews with people who worked on Batman projects of some capacity (comic writers,animated stuff), now reduced to a youtube thing where he talks about movie trailers and such, with very little actual Batman content in it. Shame.

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Enough said.

The Tokusatsu Network Podcast

Tokusatsu talk & reviews, usually of shows that have just started or overviews of shows that have ended their runs. Sometimes the smug attitudes of some of the contributors gets on my nerves, and not enough talk about Garo.

Rider Club Radio

Also a Tokusatsu podcast, but this one is more specifically about Kamen Rider, discussing the currently-airing show, along with tokusatsu news and rumours.  More shambolic and comedic in tone, which I enjoy.

Ja'moke

I need a new true crime podcast to get into. I prefer serialised ones rather than individual stories each episode. I just caught up to date with Up and Vanished which is not bad, even if the host does try inserting himself into the story; it's an intriguing case and features a rare break in the investigation during the making of the podcast which is unusual.

Any others to recommend? I've done Serial. I've briefly looked into Accused but it didn't grab me.

popcorn

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on July 09, 2017, 02:34:50 PM
Ones people here either already know or would have no interest in:
Cane and Rinse
The Best Show on WFMU
Review-A-Raw
99% Invisible
Reply All
We Hate Movies
The Flop House

I only know the first one and would be interested in knowing why you like the others.

Sin Agog

Currently subscribed to/past favourites:

The Big 3
Cum Town
Thomas & Way
Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast
Worst Idea of All Time
Russell Brand on Radio X
Adam Buxton
Started properly dipping into Chapo since the election (felt a real contact high from their post-results jubilation)
Office Hours w/ Tim Heidecker sometimes if I want something kind of low-key and low-energy
A few Ian Boldsworth thangs
I maybe listen to one in three WTFs
And...I feel there must be more but I must've unsubscribed to them at some point.  I only even discovered the Podcast app about three years after being given an ipad as a present, but if I ever emigrate it'll probably be the one thing tethering me down to civilisation week by week.

hewantstolurkatad

oh... I might be in a bit of podcast bubble

The Best Show on WFMU
Weekly 3 hour call in show hosted by Tom Scharpling. Usually contains a 30 minute comedy bit between him and Jon Wurster that're often hilarious but I mostly just like the quality of the weekly themes, callers and Tom's general sense of humour. The length and energy level makes it very good for working along to.

Biweekly, very very long. Of no appeal to people not very into wrestling tbh.

Review-A-Raw
Weekly WWE Raw recap, easier than watching the show

99% Invisible
About design and architecture, usually around 15 minutes and episode and very well produced. Worth a listen for just about anyone really.

Reply All
Basically an NPR style podcast about the internet

We Hate Movies
Bad movie podcast with a focus generally leaning towards really bleh late 80s to early 00s Hollywood fare. An episode about Twister or the Devil's Advocate is more likely to be a goodun than one about a more typically awful film

The Flop House
3 former Daily Show writers watch some recentish film that was either a creative or commercial flop. Pretty relentless flow of jokes so sometimes it's a bit too much but when it's funny it's hilarious.

popcorn

Cheers for that, I'll check some of those out.

I forgot one:

Song Exploder
Musicians break down how they made songs. Has some big names sometimes like Bjork and U2. Ace even when I you don't like the song, at least if you're a musician.

marquis_de_sad

I listen to quite a few Radio 4 podcasts. Allows me to avoid the pain of accidentally hearing the Archers theme.

In Our Time

I'm sure everyone knows this. If not, Melvyn Bragg hosts discussion between three or four academics about seemingly almost anything. Great to hear informed people for a change — and it's also fun when Melvyn gets needlessly gruff with them.

50 Things That Made the Modern Economy

From the annoyingly jolly bloke who presents More or Less. Really interesting and well-researched look at important but often overlooked aspects of the modern economy. Short but sweet.

Thinking Allowed

Used to listen to this a lot, kind of dropped off recently. Half an hour, 15 minutes each on two recent pieces of social science research.

H3 podcast

Really enjoying this one lately (though the ghost hunting special was gash). It's definitely improved since they allowed it to go on longer.

Behind the News with Doug Henwood

Interviews with people about political stuff. Very left leaning, but a diverse range of guests on varying topics. Henwood is a really good interviewer, I think. Just sits back and lets people talk, adding stuff if he needs to.

Quote from: popcorn on July 09, 2017, 02:15:56 PM
Waking Up with Sam Harris
Everyone here hates Sam Harris but I find him quite an interesting, thoughtful chap who Makes Me Think. I don't always agree with him, and a lot of the time I don't understand him. Some of his episodes are incredibly dry; others quite incendiary and exciting. I think my favourite bit was when he put forward an argument that the government was justified in asking Apple for a back door to hack phones, which shook me up a bit - he made an argument I hadn't thought of and made me wonder if I was wrong about everything in my entire life. Then the next episode he read out a counter-argument sent from a Google employee which had changed his mind. Phew.

Sorry to be negative (and predictable), but Sam Harris is awful. Pretends to be a neuroscientist, is bafflingly dense and ignorant about philosophy (despite spending so much time on it), and had fatuous racist Charles Murray on his show to legitimise his pseudoscience for a load of naive atheists.

New Jack

I have to second a couple

We Hate Movies

A few standups review a bad movie each week, it's utterly great, the best podcast I've ever heard - I can listen to them describe a film I've never seen and end up howling at it. The mailbags are pretty stellar too, generally being people writing in with their disgusting experiences in cinemas or people whose favourite film of all time is unsettlingly, Blue Velvet

The Lapsed Fan has already been mentioned, dunno how it would come across for non theatrical combat fans

I vacillate on some others - Marc Maron, Stanhope, Bill Burr, but none hold my attention for good. I sort of dip in and out very intermittently, in the case of Maron's WTF, usually based on the guest.

newbridge

I highly recommend the possibly more obscure Boners of the Heart podcast. It's on the same NZ podcast network as Worst Idea of All Time (Tim Batt from that show is the spoken-of-but-never-speaks engineer), and the premise is essentially just two women comedians (Alice Snedden & Rose Matafeo) listing celebrities they'd like to have sex with based around a weekly theme. That premise may not necessarily sound very promising, but the hosts are actually quite endearing and hilarious. Go listen to it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The Smersh Bond-cast is very entertaining, even if you have no interest in James Bond.

popcorn

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on July 09, 2017, 03:05:48 PM
Sorry to be negative (and predictable), but Sam Harris is awful.

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned that one.

Enzo

Athletico Mince

Nominally a football podcast with Bob Mortimer and Andy Dawson. Instead of football chat you get a fantastic insight into Bob's imagination through various characters including Steve McClaren and his pet snake Casper, Gang wars between premier league players, Scottish folk tales, the up and down friendship of Mark Lawrenson & Robson Greene and much more. Required listening.

mothman

I'm currently giving Smershpod a second go. I got really put off it quite quickly because it was tapping into a pet hate of mine - obviously clever people pretending to be stupid as the the basis of their comedy. But there is some insight in there despite themselves, the recent "sidecast" on non-series Bond film Never Say Never Again, with Samira Ahmed, has rekindled my interest.

The Trekmovie website's Shuttlepod is an occasional listen for me. Despite being a massive Trek nerd I don't really have much time for other massive Trek nerds, especially when my own knowledge exceeds theirs sometimes. And they still need to sort out their sound quality, one of their contributors consistently sounds like he's recording from inside a steel drum in nhis bathroom.

Quote from: Ja'moke on July 09, 2017, 02:40:19 PM
I need a new true crime podcast to get into. I prefer serialised ones rather than individual stories each episode.

I'm not much of a true crime fan, but I chanced upon The Unresolved Podcast early in its run and so have been able to observe as host Micheal [sic] Whelan has improved over time. His latest, on the life & crimes of Franklin Delano Floyd, has been the best yet. I'd be interested to know what Ja'moke (see above) thinks of it.

And yes, I do listen to The Audio Guide To Babylon 5, in which three podcasters discuss an episode a week (with a Spoiler section for those who are following the podcast series while watching it for the first time). They're running out of episodes, though, so the big question is, will they do Crusade and the movies?

And of course The Infinite Monkey Cage. The podcast version is usually longer than the version broadcast on Radio 4.

I also listen to You Must Remember This on occasion. Though I've yet to follow any of the serials as avidly as the excellent Manson Family series.

Another I've discovered recently is The Secret History of Hollywood. I've only listened to one so far, the latest (and the second part of a series on the life and work of Val Lewton) on the making of Cat People, a favourite of mine. There have only been 5 eps in total over a year and a half, and it's no surprise really as they're quite long! I'm hoping to listen to the others, maybe on holiday...

Phil_A

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on July 09, 2017, 02:34:50 PM

Watch out for Fireballs
Similar to Cane and Rinse, but a bit more obnoxious American

I do enjoy some of their games chat, but in all honesty I went off it because of their tendency to go into paroxysms of laughter at their own jokes. It gets really, really tiresome.

Recently I've been dipping to My Brother, My Brother and Me,  the McElroy brothers advice podcast. The best parts are when they try to respond to questions posted on Yahoo Answers, this one about some guy trying to explain his erotic Garfield fanart to his girlfriend is legendary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PExKw38rntw

Pranet

Some which have not been mentioned (unless they have and I missed it, sorry.

Pappy's Flatshare Slamdown.

Recently just started listening to The Dollop, which can be funny and interesting. Releasing them twice a week is too often though.

Backlisted, a podcast about old books.

Listen to the Incomparable (nerdy culture) sometimes but they love themselves a bit (the description of the podcast on their webpage describes themselves as "smart" which is really annoying. I always think "I'll be the judge of that sunshine"). Some of the other podcasts on the Incomparable network can be interesting- eg Random Trek, Unjustly Maligned.

More or Less- Radio 4 thing about use of statistics and numbers in the news and by politicians.

The Grognard Files. If you are interested in the British RPG scene in the 1980s this is the podcast for you.

Best episodes of Radiolab are really good.

Malcolm Gladwell's Revision History can be good.

Sin Agog

Subscribed to about five things since you started this thread already.  Backlisted being the latest one.  S-Town was about the only time I ever ventured out of my funny people talking about nothing bubble and it was a great experience, so the idea of people scatting about actually good old lit sounds equally refreshing.  Ventured over to their FB page to see what they were covering, fully expecting a line-up on the level of an Oprah's book club, only to be pleasantly surprised.  Keep up the responses!

finnquark

Uhh Yeah Dude - 'America through the eyes of two American Americans.' Seth Romatelli and Jonathan Laroquette chat shit for an hour and a bit. Probably been mentioned here before.

GAA Hour - SportsJoe podcast about Gaelic Football/Hurling, usually 3/4 a week (previews and reviews for both games).

Others have already been mentioned.

Neomod

As previously mentioned up thread:

Adam Buxton
Song Exploder
You Must Remember This

and also

Comedy Bang Bang
Still some cracking episodes to be had

Sodajerker on Songwriting
Two lads from Liverpool speak to the likes of Jimmy Webb, Paddy McAloon, John Grant and Van Dyke Parks on ..erm.. songwriting.

Common Sense with Dan Carlin
US political analysis from the sometime historian.

Doughboys
American fast food chains reviewed by Nick 'Monster Fuck' Weigert and Mike 'birthday boy' Mitchell. Usually joined by one other funny person.

Project Moonbase
Loungecore, exotica and electronica of an English bent.

WTF with Marc Maron
Not popular around these parts it seems but I like his interviews.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Pranet on July 09, 2017, 06:41:18 PM
Pappy's Flatshare Slamdown.

Very silly, but great fun.
The quickfire round jingles still haven't got boring.

https://youtu.be/IbSou3C5ens

slapasoldier

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on July 09, 2017, 03:05:48 PM
Sorry to be negative (and predictable), but Sam Harris is awful. Pretends to be a neuroscientist, is bafflingly dense and ignorant about philosophy (despite spending so much time on it), and had fatuous racist Charles Murray on his show to legitimise his pseudoscience for a load of naive atheists.

Here's a link to the episode:

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/forbidden-knowledge

kittens

hollywood handbook best podcast

Ja'moke

Quote from: mothman on July 09, 2017, 05:07:14 PM
I'm not much of a true crime fan, but I chanced upon The Unresolved Podcast early in its run and so have been able to observe as host Micheal [sic] Whelan has improved over time. His latest, on the life & crimes of Franklin Delano Floyd, has been the best yet. I'd be interested to know what Ja'moke (see above) thinks of it.

Thanks! I will check that one out.

Outside of true crime podcasts, I listen to...

Comedy Bang Bang!
I always stay a step behind so that I can binge multiple episodes, so I'm currently on a break after getting up to date a couple months back. I should have a nice backlog of episodes to burn through now, though.

A number of Twin Peaks podcasts: The Gifted and the Damned, Diane: Entering the Town of Twin Peaks, Bickering Peaks, There Will Be Drinking
All of them are covering the new season. Gifted and the Damned is probably my favourite as the hosts have a good sense of humour as well as a deep knowledge of the show and its mythology. Diane is good to hear Brits discuss the show. There Will Be Drinking is good for a (drunk) female perspective of the show, the two hosts drink Twin Peaks inspired cocktails and recap the latest episodes.

Russell Brand on Radio X
The old 6Music and Radio 2 shows are some of my all-time favourite things. The new show is great too, started off a little stilted but it's fallen back into that old, familiar groove now.

Rob Has A Podcast
Best coverage of reality-tv. Funny and insightful. Hosted by former Survivor contestant Rob Cesternino, I mainly listen for the Survivor related podcasts.

Ask The Industry
Simon Caine interviews writers, directors, producers, etc. Mainly about UK comedy and stand-up. Great for any aspiring comedy writers or anyone just interested in the ins and outs of the comedy industry.

non capisco

Currently subscribed to

Comedy Bang Bang
Way more of a curate's egg than it used to be but occasionally still comes up with the goods. I will never unsubscribe in fear of missing another appearance from Neil Campbell as The Timekeeper.

Filmspotting
The best cinema review podcast there is, in my limited experience of such things.

You Must Remember This

Adam Buxton

The Parapod/The Mental Podcast

The Secret History Of Hollywood
Much the same as You Must Remember This but by a British bloke and with an average episode length of three hours.

My Dad Wrote A Porno
They do occasionally sound a bit pleased with themselves these days but I still find it delivers solid yuks, such as the other week's "bottom flannel" story.

Cum Town
Mainly to see if one day Adam will actually snap. And I find Nick Mullen a fascinating individual and still have no idea where the irony lines are and if they exist at all.

The Frank Skinner Show
He still makes me laugh out loud at least twice per show. The section on flying ants on the latest one was brilliant.

I need to get on at least one of those Twin Peaks ones mentioned upthread.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: mothman on July 09, 2017, 05:07:14 PM
I also listen to You Must Remember This on occasion. Though I've yet to follow any of the serials as avidly as the excellent Manson Family series.

Another I've discovered recently is The Secret History of Hollywood. I've only listened to one so far, the latest (and the second part of a series on the life and work of Val Lewton) on the making of Cat People, a favourite of mine. There have only been 5 eps in total over a year and a half, and it's no surprise really as they're quite long! I'm hoping to listen to the others, maybe on holiday...
Hah, the Manson Family one was the one that really made the podcast take off while I was like "gahh, I don't wanna hear about Charles Manson again!"
She's overreaching a bit with the current season but I think when it finishes it could be really good.

Secret History of Podcast is one of those ones like Hardcore History where it feels like an audiobook instead

Quote from: Phil_A on July 09, 2017, 05:15:36 PM
I do enjoy some of their games chat, but in all honesty I went off it because of their tendency to go into paroxysms of laughter at their own jokes. It gets really, really tiresome.
Yep, it's very much that vibe where the guys think of it as a comedy podcast when it really isn't. Didn't it take them like 3 years to release everyone hated the opening sketches?

Still though, some good picks. I enjoyed the recent one about Shadow of Destiny

Quote from: non capisco on July 09, 2017, 09:47:12 PM
Currently subscribed to

Cum Town
Mainly to see if one day Adam will actually snap. And I find Nick Mullen a fascinating individual and still have no idea where the irony lines are and if they exist at all.

There are people who listen to cumtown that dont listen to chapo trap house?

Just remembered another good one I don't follow religiously but is worth looking through
The Projection Booth
Individual episodes range between 2-6 hours talking about one film with a ton of interviews with various academics, journalists, etc about the film. The Magnificent Amberson's episode is very good.

mothman

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on July 09, 2017, 10:08:28 PM
Hah, the Manson Family one was the one that really made the podcast take off while I was like "gahh, I don't wanna hear about Charles Manson again!"
She's overreaching a bit with the current season but I think when it finishes it could be really good.
film. The Magnificent Amberson's episode is very good.

I haven't heard that one, I'll check it out. I also though the Blacklist season was very good but felt it maybe depended too much on the flashbacks - recycled episodes. And I bailed out of the Dead Blondes season early on, it just seemed way too random, I know what she was trying to do but it became a slog of misery with endless tales of Hollywood chewing up people and spitting them out. You can't ignore that part of the industry but I need more.

I'm blanking on what the current season is about. I don't have my phone handy to check.

Sin Agog

Will subscribe to that Secret History one 'n' all I think, as I'm also a Cat People fan.  Be sure to give the eerie short story it's based on a read (just finished it myself a week or two ago): Ancient Sorceries by Algernon Blackwood.  It's got a killer pagany Wicker Man ambience.

Sin Agog

Gah, I forgot how selective I am when it comes to whose voice I'll allow to caress my cochleas on an audiobook or podcast.  May have to switch off You Must Remember This thirty seconds in because the host has the most over the top bitchy Valley Girl lilt I've heard outside of a John Hughes movie.