Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:21:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Podcasts

Started by popcorn, July 09, 2017, 02:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boki

What's a good Android app for the ol' podders these days?  I'm using Podcast Go, but lately I've noticed my phone heating up LAMF when I'm listening to something on it, which seems like there's a bit too much processing effort going into playing a low bitrate audio file.

bgmnts

I use Pocket Casts.

olliebean

I use Podcast Addict, because it seemed to be the only one I tried that was actually capable of reading all my podcast feeds, including the private ones I've made myself to listen to files from my computer as if they were podcasts. (Most of them seem to want to read the feeds second-hand through their own servers, which obviously doesn't work for a feed that is only accessible to the local network.)

mothman

And for iOS? I feel generally unsatisfied with the Podcasts app.

niat

Quote from: mothman on May 31, 2018, 10:40:51 PM

Downcast has always been good for me.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: mothman on May 31, 2018, 10:40:51 PM

These days, I use Overcast – the design is pretty solid, but ultimately, I like the audio quality. There's a voice boost function that I've found significantly improves audio on podcasts where sound quality isn't great. There's a smart speed function that reduces the length of silences when people aren't talking, which I was a little dubious about but my impression is that it works very well.

It's free but ad-supported, but this is essentially a small add at the bottom and although I sometimes hit it by accident (which just brings up a new podcast and easy to close), it's unobtrusive. There's also a subscription service that removes the ads.

mothman

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Ferris

Couple of New York Times podcasts that are excellent; Caliphate and Charm City.

Fascinating in-depth reporting. Absolutely worth a listen.

Z

Yeah, I've been really enjoying Caliphate. I assume the first few episodes got some of that Serial style attention? They were extremely well put together in a way I could imagine people lapping up.

Will check out Charm City.

I see 30 For 30 has done a series on the bikram yoga guy, anyone know if it's any good?

kalowski

Lots of these sound really interesting, but how I'm fuck do you all find the time to listen to them? Don't you work, sleep, listen to music, watch TV, eat etc...? I can manage the odd one per week.

Neomod

Talking about true crime podcasts, I gave My Favourite Murder a go when it first came out but it didn't really appeal (god knows why it's always number 1 in the Stitcher chart), Small Town Murder is fine to dip into once in a while but a bit samey.

What I really wanted was something serious and so thanks to whoever recommended Casefile. Just listened to the Snowtown episode. Kin' ell' there are some really fucked up aussies out there. Would also recommend The Lisa Marie Young and North Hollywood Shootout episodes. I also learnt stuff from the Brian Wells episode that wasn't in the Evil Genius netflix doc. 

Didn't know that the presenter is anonymous, anyone know why?

Ferris

Quote from: kalowski on June 09, 2018, 09:43:36 AM
Lots of these sound really interesting, but how I'm fuck do you all find the time to listen to them? Don't you work, sleep, listen to music, watch TV, eat etc...? I can manage the odd one per week.

20 minute commute to work, 45 mins for lunch, 20 minute commute home. I can get a few podcasts in most days (assuming I take lunch).

I pop one on the speaker when I'm cleaning or cooking most evenings because it's better than the gogglebox and I can't watch something because I'm cleaning or cooking. I don't watch much tv at all though, so maybe that's unusual.

DrGreggles

Anyone else listening to the latest season of In The Dark?
It's tremendous - but is making me fucking angry too.

garnish

Peter Daou's We Are The Resistance is a great weekly summary of The Democrat's taking the fight to the White House and trying to raise the standards of moral leadership

Ferris

Another plug for the NYT's Caliphate. I'm finishing it off while I clean the kitchen and it is fantastic. I am considering subscribing to the NYT just to demonstrate my appreciation for the work the journalists did on it.

Really looking forward to finishing off Charm City afterwards. If it's half as good, I'll probably end up with a subscription to the Times.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: phantom_power on May 25, 2018, 08:53:44 AM.

Has anyone heard the new David Baddiel podcast about David Bowie?

I've listened to the first one and enjoyed it a lot although I'm not sure how long they will be able to wring this conceit out with the limited topic.

I must recommend Rule Of Three, Joel Morris and Jason Hazeley's comedy discussion podcast. If I recall I don't think you're much of a fan P_P? but these are funny and informative listens. They invite a comedy person in to chat about their main comedy influence. Davey (Viz Comic) Jones eulogising the great Leo Baxendale is my favourite so far.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: garnish on June 09, 2018, 03:02:38 PM
Peter Daou's We Are The Resistance is a great weekly summary of The Democrat's taking the fight to the White House and trying to raise the standards of moral leadership
Peter fucking Daou? He's still a thing?

https://theoutline.com/post/2207/the-strange-life-of-peter-daou?zd=1&zi=i2wfqs3i

sprocket

Quote from: Z on June 08, 2018, 10:59:13 PM
I see 30 For 30 has done a series on the bikram yoga guy, anyone know if it's any good?

It's okay, to be honest the main revelation for me was that there's such a thing as competitive yoga.

Sin Agog

The Projection Booth has really started enriching movie watches recently.  Broke my cherry by listening to the one on Smile (1975), and it more than made up for all those abortive attempts at starting convos about old movies with friends that went absolutely nowhere.  Can't wait to listen to all the ones on my fave Czech New Waves and the like.  Actually started specifically watching a few movies so I can listen to them zone in on shit that either went completely over my head, or I hadn't quite grown a full opinion about yet.

olliebean

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 10, 2018, 02:11:32 PM
I've listened to the first one and enjoyed it a lot although I'm not sure how long they will be able to wring this conceit out with the limited topic.

I haven't heard it, but I wouldn't have said Bowie was an especially limited topic.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: olliebean on June 10, 2018, 10:28:22 PM
I haven't heard it, but I wouldn't have said Bowie was an especially limited topic.

I suppose it remains to be seen. I liked it though.

Z

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 10, 2018, 04:18:00 PM
The Projection Booth has really started enriching movie watches recently.  Broke my cherry by listening to the one on Smile (1975), and it more than made up for all those abortive attempts at starting convos about old movies with friends that went absolutely nowhere.  Can't wait to listen to all the ones on my fave Czech New Waves and the like.  Actually started specifically watching a few movies so I can listen to them zone in on shit that either went completely over my head, or I hadn't quite grown a full opinion about yet.
Unsure if I already mentioned it in this thread but that's one podcast that really feels like it's doing a service. The efforts they go into with some episodes are well above and beyond the call of duty.
The one about the Swimmer was a really good recent-ish one. Still have to see how they got 3.5 hours out of Falling Down

Dog Botherer

Don't listen to a lot of podcasts, but I have a couple in rotation.

Chapo Trap House: Definitely seen it mentioned a few times but if you're anyway left of centre politically it's one of the best podcasts out there. The Grey Wolf feed is great too, double the Chapo.

Blood & Mud: I know rugby union isn't exactly C&B's cup of tea but if anyone else out there is into it B&M is probably the best rugby podcast I've heard. Not much for technical analysis (their main segment is the SHIT/GOOD ratings), the two lads most just chat about rugby and whatever stupid shit pops into their heads. Also very good at skewering the "LOLBANTER" side of rugby culture.

Molecast: Another rugby union podcast, focusing more on Irish rugby. Good technical analysis from amateur guys who've been writing about and playing the game for years.

Quote from: garnish on June 09, 2018, 03:02:38 PM

lmao

New Jack

Last Podcast on the Left is really growing on me. Was listening to the two parter on Dennis Nilsen and... Not sure if enjoyed is the word, but it was great, and they had me laughing a few times.

yesitsme

Some I've jettisoned recently.

Pod Save America - Stop laughing at your own jokes.
Improv4Humans - What was I thinking in the first place?
RHLSTP (and all spin offs) - Never knew RH lived in the country and had children who say/do the most hilarious things.  Now I do.
Truth and Movies - Love ACJimbo don't like the 20 somethings who talk about things that happened more than a week ago lke it was the ancient past.

On a final warning.

Brian Gittins and Bill Burr.

One's I'm glad to see resurface after a while.
TVCream.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: yesitsme on June 11, 2018, 12:03:51 PM
Some I've jettisoned recently.

Truth and Movies - Love ACJimbo don't like the 20 somethings who talk about things that happened more than a week ago lke it was the ancient past.

I enjoy that podcast but ACJimbo hasn't been on the last few weeks, which makes it considerably less fun.

Blue Jam

Snooker Potcast. I found this after wondering if there was an equivalent of Athletico Mince for snooker. It's basically two Scousers who sound like they lurk on the snooker threads here- no mention of the contents of Willie Thorne's shed though, sadly:

https://snookerpotcast.podbean.com/mobile/

popcorn

I keep hearing this podcast advertised and I can't get over how shit it sounds. I can't get over it. Listen to this (right at the beginning of this, 0:00): https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-k98uv-429d4a5

I skip it at 100mph every time. Fuck.

edit: apparently this plays different ads sometimes. The one I'm complaining about is the women talking about growing up. Berkhamsted Revisited.

Beagle 2

Anyone else into the Blindboy podcast? I really like the guy, and although it's moved from an initial way to flog his (very good) book of short stories into 'Blindboy gives you a brief history of a subject based on stuff he's found on Wikipedia that week', I still really look forward to it every week. It's interesting to hear an Irish perspective on history and culture, and learn a bit about the regional differences over there as well.

Yurt.