Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Podcasts

Started by popcorn, July 09, 2017, 02:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Neomod on June 09, 2018, 11:08:39 AM...What I really wanted was something serious and so thanks to whoever recommended Casefile. Just listened to the Snowtown episode. Kin' ell' there are some really fucked up aussies out there. Would also recommend The Lisa Marie Young and North Hollywood Shootout episodes. I also learnt stuff from the Brian Wells episode that wasn't in the Evil Genius netflix doc. 

Didn't know that the presenter is anonymous, anyone know why?

I've recommended it – but if you picked it up via someone else, I'll still take it.

Realised the other day that not all episodes were showing in my app feed and there were quite a few that I missed (from around case 30) but now they are, so won't have to listen via the website.

Anyway, sure I hadn't heard the Lisa Marie Young and North Hollywood Shootout ones, so will rectifying that!

Agree about Snowtown – not sure I would want to listen to it again. I haven't watched Evil Genius yet, but had heard that there was some stuff not in it, which was mentioned on Casefile.

Re: the host being anonymous – he's said that this is because he wants the focus to be on the case, rather than him. Personally, I think that does fit the style well. I dug out an interview with Vice, which touches upon this and other stuff about the podcast, which I found interesting: https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/dp3jqk/talking-to-the-host-behind-casefile-australias-biggest-crime-podcast

However, there was a blogger that posted who the host is and then removed the information, after they got in touch. There it was claimed that this would impact on his life and whether they can do the podcast (so there's been speculation about why) – you can find all the relevant blog via google; not sure how much I would recommend that though.

On another note, there's another Aussie podcast, Felon, which is *rather* similar in style to early Casefile.

Ignatius_S

Think I might have recommended it, but Ponzi Supernova about Bernie Madoff is excellent. My memory was jogged as I heard the host, Steve Fishman on another podcast. Recently, he's done Empire on Blood - haven't heard that though.

hermitical

Quote from: Dog Botherer on June 11, 2018, 05:20:30 AM
Don't listen to a lot of podcasts, but I have a couple in rotation.

Chapo Trap House: Definitely seen it mentioned a few times but if you're anyway left of centre politically it's one of the best podcasts out there. The Grey Wolf feed is great too, double the Chapo.

Do you ever listen to/watch The Majority Report or The Michael Brooks Show? Might well be up your alley

olliebean

Quote from: popcorn on June 11, 2018, 12:50:25 PM
I keep hearing this podcast advertised and I can't get over how shit it sounds. I can't get over it. Listen to this (right at the beginning of this, 0:00): https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-k98uv-429d4a5

I skip it at 100mph every time. Fuck.

edit: apparently this plays different ads sometimes. The one I'm complaining about is the women talking about growing up. Berkhamsted Revisited.

I mean, the one you linked to always plays the Royal British Legion ad, because that's the one that's at the start of that episode. I take it you mean the ad at the start of this one: https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-zxunx-426e00f, which does indeed sound unbearably horrible.

popcorn

Quote from: olliebean on June 11, 2018, 10:14:28 PM
I mean, the one you linked to always plays the Royal British Legion ad, because that's the one that's at the start of that episode.

Nope. It plays different things. I get the Windsor Knot atm.

olliebean

Quote from: popcorn on June 11, 2018, 10:25:26 PM
Nope. It plays different things. I get the Windsor Knot atm.

Not sure how that's possible tbh, as it's just playing a file and the ad is a part of that file, not a separate file, so unless you're listening to a different episode you should be getting the same ad as everyone else.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: hermitical on June 11, 2018, 07:08:16 PM
Do you ever listen to/watch The Majority Report or The Michael Brooks Show? Might well be up your alley

Both look like good shouts, or at least a lot of people that I follow on Twitter are into them. If I ever get caught up on Chapo I'll give them a shot, thanks.

Will Menaker, Matt Christman and Felix Biederman from Chapo have all guested on the Michael Brooks show.

popcorn

Quote from: olliebean on June 11, 2018, 10:33:52 PM
Not sure how that's possible tbh, as it's just playing a file and the ad is a part of that file, not a separate file, so unless you're listening to a different episode you should be getting the same ad as everyone else.

Yes, I think you're right and I've allowed my brain to become unnecessarily boggled.

This episode seems to begin with the advert in question: https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-ntcfs-4219596 Hellish.

hermitical

Quote from: Dog Botherer on June 12, 2018, 12:24:33 AM
Both look like good shouts, or at least a lot of people that I follow on Twitter are into them. If I ever get caught up on Chapo I'll give them a shot, thanks.

I've got into the habit of watching them live on YouTube. Been a long time since I've regularly watched something as it goes out (decade or so since having a TV)

Large Noise

Quite enjoying the Current Affairs podcast. Does a good job of discussing left wing ideas from first principles, which seems to me to be an approach more commonly taken by the right.

These left wing shows really need to buy some webcams and start putting their shows out as YouTube videos though. That's where the kids are, the people who can be influenced. iTunes is preaching to the converted.

garnish

What's the UK left-wing economics podcast that recently did a few episodes on the history of neoliberalism?

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Large Noise on June 12, 2018, 07:40:44 AM
Quite enjoying the Current Affairs podcast. Does a good job of discussing left wing ideas from first principles, which seems to me to be an approach more commonly taken by the right.

These left wing shows really need to buy some webcams and start putting their shows out as YouTube videos though. That's where the kids are, the people who can be influenced. iTunes is preaching to the converted.

Ooh, been reading their articles for a while, didn't know they had a podcast. Good stuff.

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 10, 2018, 12:17:25 AM
Another plug for the NYT's Caliphate. I'm finishing it off while I clean the kitchen and it is fantastic. I am considering subscribing to the NYT just to demonstrate my appreciation for the work the journalists did on it.

Really looking forward to finishing off Charm City afterwards. If it's half as good, I'll probably end up with a subscription to the Times.

I'm a subscriber to the NYT now. Make of that what you will.

garnish

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 28, 2018, 09:38:32 PM
What a depressing bunch of over-compensating macho desperados that place seems to house.

Best Lovejoy moment was on 606 when a caller got so angry at Lovejoy's endless twattery he almost cried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbLde_htQmg

The worst thing about that video is that it was originally uploaded by Lovejoy's own production company, the guy is that lacking in self awareness.

easytarget

Quote from: Epic Bisto on August 25, 2017, 10:01:10 PMChart Music - absolutely fucking hilarious podcast consisting of several noted former critics (yet Neil Kulkarnis et al) dissecting an episode of Top Of The Pops, with equally hilarious and insightful comments and discussion. Yes, there's an episode dedicated to the Roger Daltrey/Watch Her Backs fiasco, and subtle mentions of Chris Needham, Joy Sarney and Brass Eye abound.
Thanks for this. It's great.
I think I have this thread to thank for letting me know The Word podcast is still a thing - I loved it, then, for some reason I thought it stopped about 6 years ago (anyone?) now I have hundreds of episodes to enjoy!
A recommendation I'm surprised hasn't come up yet The Dana Gould Hour Another "US comedian talks to other US comedians" podcast, but a good one, well produced and thoughtful. Often features Eddie Pepitone who is a delight. 

hedgehog90

I mentioned Dana Gould a few times in the other comedy podcasts thread of old.
I used to be a big fan but can't be arsed with it anymore, got a year's worth I haven't listened to.

New Jack

Thanks to this thread I am now enjoying the Last House on the Left podcast. Sure, they're a bit loud, brash and annoying, but I love the topics they cover and it's an entertaining listen especially on subjects I need a proper into to

Fucking hell though one of them was eating in the Fred and Rose West one, mouth chewing noises while on about Fred cutting out foetuses. Could barely finish my Yoplait

mr. logic

I really wanted to like that Reducer podcast but it's so po-faced. Fair enough Tim Lovejoy is a cunt, but they're also angry talking about Renford Rejects. That 90s football podcast do it so much better, acknowledging the absurdity of whatever they're covering but infusing the conversation with warmth, humour and a certain amount of affection.

yesitsme

Quote from: mr. logic on June 22, 2018, 08:21:36 AM
I really wanted to like that Reducer podcast but it's so po-faced. Fair enough Tim Lovejoy is a cunt, but they're also angry talking about Renford Rejects. That 90s football podcast do it so much better, acknowledging the absurdity of whatever they're covering but infusing the conversation with warmth, humour and a certain amount of affection.

Aye, The Reducer is walking a tightrope with me at the moment (I'm sure they're worried).

They seem to have run out of steam a little - reviewing Morrissey's book looked like 'We've got nothing' to me.

I'll give them a couple of more goes, if they can't pull something out of the World Cup then what can they do?

The reason I like it is because it it's football viewed through an Irish prism.  It has the odd little glimpse in to the social politics and perspectives you don't get from the untraditional British media.

But if they start reviewing pop stars novels they can feck off.

DrGreggles

Andy Dawson's other podcast 'Top Flight Time Machine' is good fun.
Thought him and the other bloke would annoy me, but it hasn't happened.
They're currently doing some World Cup ones, which would make a good sampler.

Schnapple

Caliphate is superb, and Rukmini Callimachi is an outstanding reporter and seemingly a very cool person, too. The way it weaves in the human angle with global politics is no simple feat, but it's pretty flawless in that respect. Excellent sound design, too, very understated but effective. Thanks to whoever reccomended it.

Ferris

Quote from: Schnapple on June 26, 2018, 02:26:55 PM
Caliphate is superb, and Rukmini Callimachi is an outstanding reporter and seemingly a very cool person, too. The way it weaves in the human angle with global politics is no simple feat, but it's pretty flawless in that respect. Excellent sound design, too, very understated but effective. Thanks to whoever reccomended it.

That would be me, I am still an evangelist for it.

My NYT subscription is also bloody good. Win-win all round.

Hat FM

I'm a big fan of the overcast app and would recomend that to anyone who is sick of the iphone podcast app. However, i have found an issue that means i have to use a different app for my ipod as there are some pods that i want to keep on my phone and not on my ipod and vice versa. Overcast seems to want to delete the pod on both devices if i delete it off one. quite annoying. Anyway, i have started using the podsmasher app on my ipod. seems okay so far though there are a few niggles.

surprised there has been no mention of dissect yet. great podcast where this guy spends a season 'dissecting' various albums. previously he has done albums by kendrick lamar and kanye west. at the moment he is doing the season about frank ocean. he recently did a two part pod on 'pyramids' which was really interesting. the podcast just shows how layered the artist's work is in terms of themes both lyrically and musically. i'm a big fan anyway.

olliebean

I guess you could use different Overcast accounts on each device?

I had to stop using Overcast because it started lagging horribly, and eventually crashing on launch. A reinstall solved it but eventually it started doing it again (and of course in the meantime I had to re-download all my unlistened episodes). A shame, because it really was very good before it became effectively unusable. Now using Podcast Addict on my Android phone, instead of Overcast on my iPod.

I can't find podsmasher anywhere. Are you sure that's what it's called?

Ja'moke

Quote from: Hat FM on June 27, 2018, 02:02:58 PM.

surprised there has been no mention of dissect yet. great podcast where this guy spends a season 'dissecting' various albums. previously he has done albums by kendrick lamar and kanye west. at the moment he is doing the season about frank ocean. he recently did a two part pod on 'pyramids' which was really interesting. the podcast just shows how layered the artist's work is in terms of themes both lyrically and musically. i'm a big fan anyway.

Dissect is great, but one part unintentionally made me laugh for ages. In the Kendrick one where he mishears the line "Pass Dot* the bottle" as "Pass doctor bottle" and goes into a whole analysis of what "doctor bottle" might mean. How he didn't spot that mistake, given how meticulous everything else is, I do not know, but made me laugh.

Otherwise though, yes, really good podcast, particularly the Kanye series.

*Dot as in K.Dot, Kendrick's nickname.

Hat FM

Quote from: olliebean on June 27, 2018, 10:15:29 PM
I guess you could use different Overcast accounts on each device?

I had to stop using Overcast because it started lagging horribly, and eventually crashing on launch. A reinstall solved it but eventually it started doing it again (and of course in the meantime I had to re-download all my unlistened episodes). A shame, because it really was very good before it became effectively unusable. Now using Podcast Addict on my Android phone, instead of Overcast on my iPod.

I can't find podsmasher anywhere. Are you sure that's what it's called?

hmm i don't think it gave me an option to use another account. dont think so anyway.
i thought it was called podsmasher though i can't find it now either. dont have my ipod on me at the moment.

Hat FM

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 28, 2018, 03:00:49 AM
Dissect is great, but one part unintentionally made me laugh for ages. In the Kendrick one where he mishears the line "Pass Dot* the bottle" as "Pass doctor bottle" and goes into a whole analysis of what "doctor bottle" might mean. How he didn't spot that mistake, given how meticulous everything else is, I do not know, but made me laugh.

Otherwise though, yes, really good podcast, particularly the Kanye series.

*Dot as in K.Dot, Kendrick's nickname.

haha! can't believe he missed that. I loved the revelation that kanye was actually in the role of someone having a wank during 'hell of a life'!

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on August 01, 2017, 10:20:54 PM
*snip*
The Grift - again, similar, only ten episodes so far
*snip*

Thanks for the heads up. Been looking for something new, listened to a few this afternoon and really enjoyed them.

Cheers

mothman

I don't know if it was this thread or another, but when I was scouring Twitter for news about yesterday's outage, I found a Tweet where the creator of Smershpod was being sarcy about some criticism his podcast had received on CaB. And then a bunch of his fanboys jumped in to agree what an awful place this is. Fair warmed the cockles of me 'eart, so it did. Fuck, people can be so precious...