Author Topic: Podcasts  (Read 22631 times)

Re: Podcasts
« Reply #270 on: January 16, 2019, 11:44:55 AM »
I was listening to this fella last night on the way up the M1,
 https://youtu.be/tixOyiR8B-8
Which then led onto me listening to this
https://youtu.be/tdUpzpIjJLg

Two Vietnam vets talking about their experiences. The first is frustratingly cut short but the second is a guy who was in a LRRP squad, known as a Hunt and Kill team.

Both are very honest and not at all gung ho.
I can't recommend them enough.

« Reply #271 on: January 25, 2019, 07:44:14 PM »
All the renewed interest in the Fyre Festival debacle led me to find the Swindled Podcast and I highly recommend it. Every episode covers a scandal in recent history (eg. Bhopal disaster, Kids For Cash, Martin Shkreli) and they're succinct, under an hour. The presenter's monotone, deadpan delivery takes some getting used to, but his sporadic dry humour makes up for it. The Fyre Festival and Charles Ingram ones are my favourite, I didn't know the extent to which the Major's life had spiraled downwards after cough-gate.

« Reply #272 on: January 25, 2019, 09:07:29 PM »
I think someone on here may have recommended it but I have been thoroughly enjoying the Brian & Roger podcast. Harry Peacock and Dan Skinner are both pretty fantastic and it has a satisfyingly sinister edge to it.

https://www.podparadise.com/Podcast/1437785324

'Brian and Roger met at a support meeting for divorced men. Both are starting again. Both are finding it hard. One of them is nice.'

I really enjoyed these thankyou, ta for the recommendation.

« Reply #273 on: February 02, 2019, 08:44:15 AM »
Yes, Brian and Roger is brilliant. Thanks!

« Reply #274 on: February 02, 2019, 01:51:44 PM »
Just listened to the new episode of All The Best from the Novara podcast, and can't help being struck by how much Max Shanly sounds like Brian in Brian and Roger.

Neomod

• Oh my genitals | I'm a janitor
« Reply #275 on: February 10, 2019, 04:37:21 PM »
All the renewed interest in the Fyre Festival debacle led me to find the Swindled Podcast and I highly recommend it. Every episode covers a scandal in recent history (eg. Bhopal disaster, Kids For Cash, Martin Shkreli) and they're succinct, under an hour. The presenter's monotone, deadpan delivery takes some getting used to, but his sporadic dry humour makes up for it. The Fyre Festival and Charles Ingram ones are my favourite, I didn't know the extent to which the Major's life had spiraled downwards after cough-gate.

Funnily enough those Fyre Festival docs have led me to The Drop Out. The story of Elizabeth Holmes. Fascinating stuff.

« Reply #276 on: February 12, 2019, 12:21:31 PM »
Just tried listening to The Swindled Podcast.
You weren't kidding when you said he was monotone, eh.
I had to turn it off after 2 minutes because the guy sounds like he's had a lobotomy.

« Reply #277 on: February 12, 2019, 12:26:34 PM »
Just tried listening to The Swindled Podcast.
You weren't kidding when you said he was monotone, eh.
I had to turn it off after 2 minutes because the guy sounds like he's had a lobotomy.

My other half questioned our relationship when she walked in on me listening to it.

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #278 on: February 12, 2019, 02:09:26 PM »
I too found the Swindled episode about Fyre good but I dunno if I can sit through numerous episodes of him talking. Don't podcasts and that often employ professional narrators now? That's what this guy should have done. Unless that is what he's done. In which case... My God.

« Reply #279 on: February 12, 2019, 03:59:58 PM »
Fans of the KLF and fiscal inappropriateness might like How To Burn A Million Quid, part documentary, part dramatisation about the band and their act of monetary pyromania

« Reply #280 on: February 12, 2019, 07:08:45 PM »
Re: Swindled.
I couldn't find anything else to listen to so went back and continued on, I ended up listening to a couple more.
I can just about tolerate his voice now.

« Reply #281 on: February 12, 2019, 08:20:14 PM »
Fans of the KLF and fiscal inappropriateness might like How To Burn A Million Quid, part documentary, part dramatisation about the band and their act of monetary pyromania

Just downloaded that, on being told that it apparently has a fair bit of Ken Campbell (as played by Jeremy Stockwell) in it.

« Reply #282 on: February 12, 2019, 10:55:30 PM »
Just downloaded that, on being told that it apparently has a fair bit of Ken Campbell (as played by Jeremy Stockwell) in it.

A review also prompted this:

http://klf.de/home/the-jams-dont-do-sidekicks/

TIAL

• VIVA EL OSCER
« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2019, 08:13:13 PM »
Whatever Happened to the Pizza at McDonald's

I don't want to give much away but it's a very funny take on investigative journalism podcasts, the deadpan delivery reminds me a bit of Nathan for You/On Cinema.

Plus episodes average around 10 minutes so you can easily see if it's up your street.

FerriswheelBueller

• Very tired. Sorry if my recent posts are shit.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #284 on: February 18, 2019, 09:36:48 PM »
Whatever Happened to the Pizza at McDonald's

I don't want to give much away but it's a very funny take on investigative journalism podcasts, the deadpan delivery reminds me a bit of Nathan for You/On Cinema.

Plus episodes average around 10 minutes so you can easily see if it's up your street.

Ooh! Subscribed and will give it a go.

Actually sounds a lot like A Very Fatal Murder which I really enjoyed and would heavily recommend.

« Reply #285 on: February 19, 2019, 07:27:41 AM »
Has Rule of Three been mentioned? Probably.

Is Joel Morris and his writing partner (really sorry his name escapes me) talking to someone involved in comedy about a piece of comedy they love.

Very good and insightful even if you're not familiar with the piece they have brought in or with the interviewee.

« Reply #286 on: February 19, 2019, 07:49:21 AM »
Has Rule of Three been mentioned? Probably.

Is Joel Morris and his writing partner (really sorry his name escapes me) talking to someone involved in comedy about a piece of comedy they love.

Very good and insightful even if you're not familiar with the piece they have brought in or with the interviewee.

His writing partner is Jason Hazeley. A really great podcast, some interesting guests who occasionally choose comedy you wouldn't expect them to pick. Also Joel Morris produces the fantastic Brian and Roger mentioned earlier upthread.

Brundle-Fly

• I'm so Avant-garden variety
« Reply #287 on: February 19, 2019, 04:17:44 PM »