Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:37:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Podcasts

Started by popcorn, July 09, 2017, 02:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I was listening to this fella last night on the way up the M1,
https://youtu.be/tixOyiR8B-8
Which then led onto me listening to this
https://youtu.be/tdUpzpIjJLg

Two Vietnam vets talking about their experiences. The first is frustratingly cut short but the second is a guy who was in a LRRP squad, known as a Hunt and Kill team.

Both are very honest and not at all gung ho.
I can't recommend them enough.

All the renewed interest in the Fyre Festival debacle led me to find the Swindled Podcast and I highly recommend it. Every episode covers a scandal in recent history (eg. Bhopal disaster, Kids For Cash, Martin Shkreli) and they're succinct, under an hour. The presenter's monotone, deadpan delivery takes some getting used to, but his sporadic dry humour makes up for it. The Fyre Festival and Charles Ingram ones are my favourite, I didn't know the extent to which the Major's life had spiraled downwards after cough-gate.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on January 10, 2019, 09:36:35 AM
I think someone on here may have recommended it but I have been thoroughly enjoying the Brian & Roger podcast. Harry Peacock and Dan Skinner are both pretty fantastic and it has a satisfyingly sinister edge to it.

https://www.podparadise.com/Podcast/1437785324

'Brian and Roger met at a support meeting for divorced men. Both are starting again. Both are finding it hard. One of them is nice.'

I really enjoyed these thankyou, ta for the recommendation.

WestHill

Yes, Brian and Roger is brilliant. Thanks!

olliebean

Just listened to the new episode of All The Best from the Novara podcast, and can't help being struck by how much Max Shanly sounds like Brian in Brian and Roger.

Neomod

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on January 25, 2019, 07:44:14 PM
All the renewed interest in the Fyre Festival debacle led me to find the Swindled Podcast and I highly recommend it. Every episode covers a scandal in recent history (eg. Bhopal disaster, Kids For Cash, Martin Shkreli) and they're succinct, under an hour. The presenter's monotone, deadpan delivery takes some getting used to, but his sporadic dry humour makes up for it. The Fyre Festival and Charles Ingram ones are my favourite, I didn't know the extent to which the Major's life had spiraled downwards after cough-gate.

Funnily enough those Fyre Festival docs have led me to The Drop Out. The story of Elizabeth Holmes. Fascinating stuff.

hedgehog90

Just tried listening to The Swindled Podcast.
You weren't kidding when you said he was monotone, eh.
I had to turn it off after 2 minutes because the guy sounds like he's had a lobotomy.

studpuppet

Quote from: hedgehog90 on February 12, 2019, 12:21:31 PM
Just tried listening to The Swindled Podcast.
You weren't kidding when you said he was monotone, eh.
I had to turn it off after 2 minutes because the guy sounds like he's had a lobotomy.

My other half questioned our relationship when she walked in on me listening to it.

imitationleather

I too found the Swindled episode about Fyre good but I dunno if I can sit through numerous episodes of him talking. Don't podcasts and that often employ professional narrators now? That's what this guy should have done. Unless that is what he's done. In which case... My God.

phantom_power

Fans of the KLF and fiscal inappropriateness might like How To Burn A Million Quid, part documentary, part dramatisation about the band and their act of monetary pyromania

hedgehog90

Re: Swindled.
I couldn't find anything else to listen to so went back and continued on, I ended up listening to a couple more.
I can just about tolerate his voice now.

olliebean

Quote from: phantom_power on February 12, 2019, 03:59:58 PM
Fans of the KLF and fiscal inappropriateness might like How To Burn A Million Quid, part documentary, part dramatisation about the band and their act of monetary pyromania

Just downloaded that, on being told that it apparently has a fair bit of Ken Campbell (as played by Jeremy Stockwell) in it.

studpuppet

Quote from: olliebean on February 12, 2019, 08:20:14 PM
Just downloaded that, on being told that it apparently has a fair bit of Ken Campbell (as played by Jeremy Stockwell) in it.

A review also prompted this:

http://klf.de/home/the-jams-dont-do-sidekicks/

TIAL

Whatever Happened to the Pizza at McDonald's

I don't want to give much away but it's a very funny take on investigative journalism podcasts, the deadpan delivery reminds me a bit of Nathan for You/On Cinema.

Plus episodes average around 10 minutes so you can easily see if it's up your street.

Ferris

Quote from: TIAL on February 18, 2019, 08:13:13 PM
Whatever Happened to the Pizza at McDonald's

I don't want to give much away but it's a very funny take on investigative journalism podcasts, the deadpan delivery reminds me a bit of Nathan for You/On Cinema.

Plus episodes average around 10 minutes so you can easily see if it's up your street.

Ooh! Subscribed and will give it a go.

Actually sounds a lot like A Very Fatal Murder which I really enjoyed and would heavily recommend.

paruses

Has Rule of Three been mentioned? Probably.

Is Joel Morris and his writing partner (really sorry his name escapes me) talking to someone involved in comedy about a piece of comedy they love.

Very good and insightful even if you're not familiar with the piece they have brought in or with the interviewee.

Travis B

Quote from: paruses on February 19, 2019, 07:27:41 AM
Has Rule of Three been mentioned? Probably.

Is Joel Morris and his writing partner (really sorry his name escapes me) talking to someone involved in comedy about a piece of comedy they love.

Very good and insightful even if you're not familiar with the piece they have brought in or with the interviewee.

His writing partner is Jason Hazeley. A really great podcast, some interesting guests who occasionally choose comedy you wouldn't expect them to pick. Also Joel Morris produces the fantastic Brian and Roger mentioned earlier upthread.

Brundle-Fly

Johnboy

here's a few I like

Dead Rock Stars rock writers Mick Wall and Joel McIver discuss a dead rock star each episode. Good banter/tension and anecdotes between the two - I went back and listened to the ones of rock stars I wasn't that into and they were just as good

Album to Album one guy has a guest on each episode to discuss a Bowie album

The Hustle interviews with members of bands from yesteryear

Midnight Chats presented by Loud and Quiet - interviews with musicians, I like the interviewer's gentle approach

machotrouts

Quote from: mothman on July 22, 2018, 08:08:33 PM
I don't know if it was this thread or another, but when I was scouring Twitter for news about yesterday's outage, I found a Tweet where the creator of Smershpod was being sarcy about some criticism his podcast had received on CaB. And then a bunch of his fanboys jumped in to agree what an awful place this is. Fair warmed the cockles of me 'eart, so it did. Fuck, people can be so precious...

I've just seen this post and I remembered replying to that thread so I went and checked and mine was the one quote he tweeted ("James Bond podcast by a couple of bland blokes with nothing to say about James Bond"). Felt a bit bad about it. Bit of a mean quote but I wasn't just Dunking For Dunking's Sake, it was part of a larger paragraph about how I wanted to like it and taking a genuine interest in whether it got better after I gave up on it. Wasn't expecting one of the bland blokes to read it and I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Nobody's harming anyone by making a slightly crap Bondcast.

Anyway I then read some of the rest of his tweets and decided fuck it he's an annoying cunt and I'm glad to have made his mood fleetingly worse. My intuition is good and I should be more indiscriminately mean. That isn't the lesson I should take from this, but it is the lesson I have taken from this

Ferris

Quote from: machotrouts on March 15, 2019, 11:32:06 PM
I've just seen this post and I remembered replying to that thread so I went and checked and mine was the one quote he tweeted ("James Bond podcast by a couple of bland blokes with nothing to say about James Bond"). Felt a bit bad about it. Bit of a mean quote but I wasn't just Dunking For Dunking's Sake, it was part of a larger paragraph about how I wanted to like it and taking a genuine interest in whether it got better after I gave up on it. Wasn't expecting one of the bland blokes to read it and I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Nobody's harming anyone by making a slightly crap Bondcast.

Anyway I then read some of the rest of his tweets and decided fuck it he's an annoying cunt and I'm glad to have made his mood fleetingly worse. My intuition is good and I should be more indiscriminately mean. That isn't the lesson I should take from this, but it is the lesson I have taken from this

Had a look at the thread and the CaB posts. The twitter man looks a right wally - if a short thread with all but one post being positive, and the other being interested in continuing but not sure if it's worth it equates to...

QuoteI had the temerity to have a non-Bond expert on and the internet can't handle it right now.

...then you might not be cut out for reading your own reviews. It's a fair point that a podcast like this vacillates in quality depending on the guest, and having someone who doesn't care about the source material will impact the output.

Also CaB is not "the internet", you plum. It's a niche comedy forum. Get a grip.

WestHill

The new series of Brian and Roger is great.

easytarget

We Hope It's Chips is back! Yesssssssss!

Hey, Punk!

I've been listening to Zero Books a lot lately, not too keen on the short essays but the podcast is a good way to find out which areas of leftist philosophy you're interested in. They introduced me to the late Mark Fisher and reintroduced me to Zizek.

SteveDave

Phil_A

Facebook keeps recommending me a new horror-themed podcast called Say It Five Times. The first episode was about Eraserhead which is one my enduring obsessions, so I thought "ehh, might be worth a shot."

I think it's fair to say it gets off to a bad start with three minutes of the hosts chattering amongst themselves, no proper introduction or explanation of what the show is . And the recording quality is atrocious. Constant distortion and popping, volume level all over the place, voices keep dropping out so you miss the ends of sentences. I'd say "get a pop shield" but I'm not convinced an actual microphone was involved at any point, I would lay odds it was recorded on a phone one of them was holding.

It almost made me want to start a thread for "Things guaranteed to make you abandon a podcast within the first five minutes".

hedgehog90

gout pony personally recommended The Evolution of Horror podcast to me recently, listen to that if you haven't already. It's good.

Tairy_Green

I Googled to see if this had been mentioned already, apologies if that was ineffective.

Emil Amos' Drifter's Sympathy is a great listen. Hosted by a musician who makes records under the name Holy Sons, it alternates* between a semi-interview podcast where he tells coming of age stories (mostly involving tripping) to a friend and quasi radio shows where he delves into some obscure records, which he plays in full, audibly from vinyl, and chats about. It's got a warm and fuzzy feel to it, occasionally undercut by paranoia, and the editing and soundtracks in the talkie episodes are brilliant. The whole thing is a bit like ending up at a friendly weirdo's house at 4am after a night out. Would probably be amazing if you were high, but still very good if not.

* Edit - as in odd numbered eps are stories, even numbers are music.

hermitical

Quote from: Tairy_Green on April 08, 2019, 09:21:25 PM
I Googled to see if this had been mentioned already, apologies if that was ineffective.

Emil Amos' Drifter's Sympathy is a great listen. Hosted by a musician who makes records under the name Holy Sons

He's also in Om and Grails.

Had a load of these downloaded for a while but never listened to them, I should rectify that....

EOLAN

Quote from: Phil_A on April 08, 2019, 06:29:01 PM

It almost made me want to start a thread for "Things guaranteed to make you abandon a podcast within the first five minutes".

Oh yes please. Could do with some advice before my super secret project. There was a New England Patriots feed where a new podcast got added, Pats Blitz I believe it is called. Sound quality when they talk is always awful. Why I went back to a recent episode I don't know but then on a three-way conversation; one guy gets up to leave the other two talk (most likely on Skype connections) and you can clearly him walking around the house; opening presses, pouring out cereal, going to the sink and all the usual kitchen routines. Probably more audible than any of the talking.