Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:10:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Podcasts

Started by popcorn, July 09, 2017, 02:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Quote from: phantom_power on May 16, 2019, 11:22:44 AM
Do people listen to scripted podcasts? I often listen to podcasts to fall asleep to and they aren't ideal for that as I never know what I have missed when I fall asleep and have to start again. I found Homecoming quite compelling and relaxing though, and Sandra starring Alia Shawkat. They are getting some big hitter actors on these now like Rami Malek and the like

I like the idea but are they like Radio 4 plays?

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 14, 2019, 07:24:07 PM
I know loadsa people hate Russell Brand (and loadsa people don't really know why they hate him, other than because of some, in my opinion, misinformed first impression), but he's just done a podcast with David Lynch.  Only got a clip from it here of Lynch talking about some wild macro-macro shit involving Yogi Bear or something, but the full thing should be on youtube in a few days: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SOz2n0v-AcA

Ah brilliant thanks for posting this, somehow I'd not heard about it. Love how Lynch takes Brand's gentle ribbing, and I love hearing Lynch talking about spiritual beliefs. I don't ever want definitive answers about what his art means but I'm sure the closest we'll get anyway is things like yugas.

thraxx

Thanks to whoever recommended the Evolution of Horror podcast.  It's nice to hear so many great horror movies talked about in detail, both ones I love and ones that I get the pleasure of seeing for the first time. 

Even though the host gets some good guests and good analysis, I'm sick of the amount of the supposed experts e.g. that non-entity James King, that turn up and say 'I don't really like horror' and it's obvious they've only just watched the film in question, even the big ones, that week.  And how many times the host will ask the guest 'what's your favorite zombie horror?' and they'll say 'well, oh, dawn of the dead I suppose', and he'll say with no sense of irony 'hmmm, yes, interesting, interesting...!', and leave it there.  Gets right on my tits it does.

Captain Crunch

I don't think anything in any podcast ever will be as good as Jon Ronson's "...ooh" when he finds out what ATM means. 

I also downloaded all the Boring Talks and had a sudden fear there would be some annoying music or voiceover ruining the whole thing.  You can guess the rest. 

Hemulen

Nobody seems to know about Mission to Zyxx and that makes me sad. I only discovered it fairly recently myself, but it's the only comedy thing of the last few years other than Taskmaster to regularly put me in proper fits of laughter.

So, it's an improvised sci-fi comedy podcast, but it is so much better than that description makes it sound. The magic is not in the improv itself, but rather the editing and sound design that transforms the original improv sessions into tight 20-30 minute episodes with incredibly professional sounding music and effects. That mix of loose improvised dialogue and slick editing results in something that feels surprisingly grounded and "real", despite it being a bunch of people making up silly sci-fi stories as they go along. The editing's so good I don't even skip the ads! Highly recommended, especially if you're a Hitchhiker's fan.

SteveDave

I'm currently burning my way through all the past episodes of "Stalking Time For The Moon Boys" with David Baddiel and his friend Tim. They gets lots of facts wrong or don't know things but it's nice. Just two middle aged men rambling on about Dave Bowie in a shed.

phantom_power

Quote from: SteveDave on July 10, 2019, 08:36:53 AM
I'm currently burning my way through all the past episodes of "Stalking Time For The Moon Boys" with David Baddiel and his friend Tim. They gets lots of facts wrong or don't know things but it's nice. Just two middle aged men rambling on about Dave Bowie in a shed.

I find it really annoying. Baddiel constantly talks over everyone. In fact they all do. I listen to podcasts as I go to sleep and listening to this one actually gets me too angry to sleep as I can't hear anyone's voice over all the others. For Bowie fans they seem to know fuck all about him as well. They spend a large part of the first episode debating how to pronounce his name, even going so far coming to the wrong conclusion regarding why he called his son Zowie.

I really wanted it to be good but Baddiel is just too smug and annoying. The A to Z of Bowie with Marc Riley and his mate is a lot better and more informative

Natnar

I've been making my way through You're Just The Worst a podcast where this guy Oliver Rockside goes through the worst 100 pop songs of all time. He doesn't mince his words (he's really not a fan of ABBA or Bjork) and i don't agree with a few of his choices but he's still entertaining https://player.fm/series/youre-just-the-worst

Johnboy

can anyone recommend a good Beatles podcast?

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on July 10, 2019, 10:07:10 PM
The A to Z of Bowie with Marc Riley and his mate is a lot better and more informative

Yup

phantom_power

Quote from: Johnboy on July 11, 2019, 02:08:07 PM

I'd have to go with The Best of The Beatles Podcasts

HAVANAGILA

I find it really annoying. Baddiel constantly talks over everyone. In fact they all do. I listen to podcasts as I go to sleep and listening to this one actually gets me too angry to sleep as I can't hear anyone's voice over all the others. For Bowie fans they seem to know fuck all about him as well. They spend a large part of the first episode debating how to pronounce his name, even going so far coming to the wrong conclusion regarding why he called his son Zowie.

As a podcast ostensibly about Bowie it's a frustrating listen – Arsalan Mohammad's AlbumToAlbum series is far more rewarding – but as a rambling chat between two friends trying to make each other laugh, it passes the time well enough. Their combined ignorance regarding so much of Bowie's output is maddening – Baddiel in particular seems to wear it as a badge of pride, together with his insistence that anything from the 90s is unlistenable industrial skronk (which is patently bollocks). Having said that, their laughter is very infectious, and I maintain that Baddiel is a naturally funny person, regardless of the quality of the actual material.

That bloody Linda story though ("She's upstairs!" / "I'll just go and get her") – they could teach Stewart Lee a thing or two about the power of repetition to transform a mildly funny anecdote into something actively fury-inducing.

Oh, and the episode with R*cky G*rv**s lasted all of 137 seconds before the guest was pissing himself at the thought of a small person being referred to as a gnome. Quelle surprise etc

HAVANAGILA

Quote from: Johnboy on July 11, 2019, 02:08:07 PM

Something About The Beatles was excellent until the two hosts had a major falling out (haven't listened to much of it since tbh)

From the episodes I've listened to, I Am The Eggpod might be right up your Penny Lane. A different album each week, with the levels of detail, anecdotage and humour varying according to guest. David Quantick's double header on the White Album was terrific (I can recommend his 'Revolution' book), but the one that had me hooting was Beardyman's evisceration of McCartney II. An album I knew nothing of beforehand (beyond the first 2 tracks) - I left the podcast both desperate to hear it for myself, and convinced it was a pile of arse. Safe to say that (on a first listen anyway) the podcast and the brief audio clips therein were far more entertaining than the album itself...

Ferris

I really wanted it to be good but Baddiel is just too smug and annoying. The A to Z of Bowie with Marc Riley and his mate is a lot better and more informative

Surely not!

I'll do my usual plugs.

A Very Fatal Murder - very funny, you can do the whole series in an hour (and I implore you to do it)
Caliphate - investigate journalism podcast about ISIS. Fascinating.
The Adventure Zone - terrific bit of work. Worth sticking with, because it builds into some of the best podcast storytelling I've ever heard, and you do not see it coming at all

paruses

I started listening to Who Shot Ya? on a whim the other day and quite enjoy it with some caveats.

It's a film podcast with non-straight white men as the hosts. They are all involved in the film industry in some way. They have a round up of industry stories, one current film review, one discussion point.

Caveats - you deffo won't agree with what/who they think are great. The cackling gets on your tits from time to time. They laugh far too much at anodyne jokes that they seem to think are risqué.

Johnboy

Quote from: HAVANAGILA on July 11, 2019, 02:42:29 PM
Something About The Beatles was excellent until the two hosts had a major falling out (haven't listened to much of it since tbh)

From the episodes I've listened to, I Am The Eggpod might be right up your Penny Lane. A different album each week, with the levels of detail, anecdotage and humour varying according to guest. David Quantick's double header on the White Album was terrific (I can recommend his 'Revolution' book), but the one that had me hooting was Beardyman's evisceration of McCartney II. An album I knew nothing of beforehand (beyond the first 2 tracks) - I left the podcast both desperate to hear it for myself, and convinced it was a pile of arse. Safe to say that (on a first listen anyway) the podcast and the brief audio clips therein were far more entertaining than the album itself...

Great, thanks  I like the look of these

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 11, 2019, 04:44:11 PM

A Very Fatal Murder - very funny, you can do the whole series in an hour (and I implore you to do it)

Finally got around to listening to this, it was....OK, not brilliant but a great parody of Serial.

It's worth it just for the advert for the Post Office!

EOLAN

Quote from: Special K on August 15, 2019, 08:18:02 AM
Finally got around to listening to this, it was....OK, not brilliant but a great parody of Serial.

Had to immediately relisten to that the first time it played. Wonder what Scott Aukerman thought of it (love you Scotty, but was just a hilarious take-down).

sponk

The Hurricane Tapes is very good. About the Rubin Carter story, but you don't have to like boxing to enjoy it. It's just a very good piece of investigative journalism.

Ferris

Quote from: Special K on August 15, 2019, 08:18:02 AM

That was a highlight, definitely!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Thank you for recommending this, it's great. I found myself in the unusual position of thinking that Beardyman's assessment of McCartney II was too harsh, while also agreeing with everything he said. That's McCartney II for you, I guess, it occupies its own weird space. It's brilliant, ridiculous and awful in roughly equal measure.

Quantick was good value, I really must read his book. I know this is an obvious joke, but I did chuckle at his withering response to Bono's excruciating "This is a song Charles Manson stole from The Beatles, well we're stealing it back" line: "Oh give it back to Charles Manson, please."

sponk

Any good Bob Dylan podcasts? Been listening to It's Rolling Bob and Album by Album and they're okay, not spectacular though.

SteveDave

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 17, 2019, 02:11:07 AM
Thank you for recommending this, it's great. I found myself in the unusual position of thinking that Beardyman's assessment of McCartney II was too harsh, while also agreeing with everything he said. That's McCartney II for you, I guess, it occupies its own weird space. It's brilliant, ridiculous and awful in roughly equal measure.

Beardyman's critique of McCartney II was rendered null and void when I heard one of his "songs" on The Now Show or some other Radio 4 chuckle-fest.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw shade.

Says he.

Ferris

Just noticed all episodes of Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour are now available as podcasts.

Latter-day Bob masquerading as a late-night disc jock for a fictional backwater radio station, little stories and songs from the great man inbetween playing a lot of music you may not have heard before. It's eclectic and good fun, and you don't even need to be a Dylan obsessive* to enjoy it.

*although I am, which probably helps

SteveDave

I've just finished "Surviving Y2K" and it made me go "WHAT?!" at least twice an episode. In a good way.

WestHill

New Brian and Roger series started this week. More of the same (in a good way!) with some interesting character development set up for Roger.

Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend is good fun. It's nothing out of the ordinary, just Conan having informal, funny conversations with people he likes - so far I've listened to the episodes with Dana Carvey, Martin Short and Hannah Gadsby - but that's all it needs to be.

I've also being LOLing quite a lot at Andy Dawson and Sam Delaney's Top Flight Time Machine, despite knowing naff all about football. Much like Athletico Mince, it turns figures from the world of football into ridiculous caricatures, so it doesn't really matter if you know who they are or not.

It's entirely improvised and some of their extended flights of fancy are joyous. I recommend starting near the beginning as that's the best way to enjoy the various running jokes as they develop. Their absurdly protracted deep dive into Kevin Keegan's memoir is as good a place to start as any.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 26, 2019, 10:32:10 PM
I've also being LOLing quite a lot at Andy Dawson and Sam Delaney's Top Flight Time Machine, despite knowing naff all about football. Much like Athletico Mince, it turns figures from the world of football into ridiculous caricatures, so it doesn't really matter if you know who they are or not.

It's entirely improvised and some of their extended flights of fancy are joyous. I recommend starting near the beginning as that's the best way to enjoy the various running jokes as they develop. Their absurdly protracted deep dive into Kevin Keegan's memoir is as good a place to start as any.

I'm on their Patreon and the Roy of the Rovers deep dive is fantastic.

I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment, but I'll sign up for that whenever I can. Their allusions to Roy of the Rovers in the main podcast always make me laugh. Half of Roy's team being wiped out by Middle Eastern terrorists in the '80s?! 'kin hell.

studpuppet

Thought I'd answered on this thread before (maybe I did a few pages back!)

Fabcast - a couple of Americans who are fairly clued up (one worked possibly at Capitol in the seventies?), and so there's an interesting slant on the post-breakup era from them.

Producing The Beatles - good fun stripping down tracks, isolating instruments etc.

Nothing Is Real - two friends with varying opinions discuss a different topic each week. They're fairly knowledgable and what they don't know they research well enough.