Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:02:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Podcasts

Started by popcorn, July 09, 2017, 02:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Presume it's been mentioned on this thread already given its strong CaB connections but I've only just started listening to Tim Worthington's 'LOOKS* Unfamiliar' podcasts (host invites guests to recall cultural artefacts from their youth that few if any people still remember) and I've been walking about all day gorging on them. Firmly in my obsessive nerdy nostalgic wheelhouse, these. Gave a little inward cheer when he mentioned 'Poing' by Rotterdam Termination Source on one episode. Nice big backlog to plow through as well, each time wondering if anyone will talk about the 1980 Soda Stream commercial with the dead eyed old nan saying "That's fizzy!" at the end that terrified me so. It's that kind of podcast.

EDITED to actually type the correct name of the thing.

*Not 'Sounds'

non capisco

Ha ha, fucking hell, yeah. Only been listening to them all day as well. Sorry Tim if you're reading this.

Natnar

Quote from: non capisco on September 29, 2019, 09:21:33 PM
Presume it's been mentioned on this thread already given its strong CaB connections but I've only just started listening to Tim Worthington's 'LOOKS* Unfamiliar' podcasts (host invites guests to recall cultural artefacts from their youth that few if any people still remember) and I've been walking about all day gorging on them. Firmly in my obsessive nerdy nostalgic wheelhouse, these. Gave a little inward cheer when he mentioned 'Poing' by Rotterdam Termination Source on one episode. Nice big backlog to plow through as well, each time wondering if anyone will talk about the 1980 Soda Stream commercial with the dead eyed old nan saying "That's fizzy!" at the end that terrified me so. It's that kind of podcast.

EDITED to actually type the correct name of the thing.

*Not 'Sounds'

I can also recommend Don't Let's Chart with Ben Baker & Phil Catterall (who have both been guests on Looks Unfamiliar). It's just 2 men counting down stupid charts. https://benbakerbooks.org/dont-lets-chart/

non capisco

Quote from: Natnar on September 29, 2019, 10:19:02 PM
I can also recommend Don't Let's Chart with Ben Baker & Phil Catterall (who have both been guests on Looks Unfamiliar). It's just 2 men counting down stupid charts. https://benbakerbooks.org/dont-lets-chart/

Ta!

sponk

Beyond Reasonable Doubt by the BBC is a pretty good one about the Michael Peterson case. Definitely less favourable to him than The Staircase.

popcorn

Right. I've been listening to podcasts for years now and I still think there's only one truly brilliant 5/5 podcast, and it's the Adam Buxton Podcast.

Nothing else comes close. Everything else is either pretty good sometimes or just a sort of comforting background noise. I've abandoned so many. It's a sea of 3/5s.

The Comedy on Vinyl podcast with Jason Klumm is excellent. The Monty Python episodes are standout but I also recommend the Alf Burger  King records one too not to mention extensive Firesign coverage.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: studpuppet on September 28, 2019, 02:10:21 PM
Nothing Is Real - two friends with varying opinions discuss a different topic each week. They're fairly knowledgable and what they don't know they research well enough.

Really enjoying this one, ta for recommending it.

dr_christian_troy

The podcast network I run (which features Looks Unfamiliar as mentioned above) has a fair few CaB connections...

SteveDave

Quote from: studpuppet on September 28, 2019, 02:10:21 PM

Fabcast - a couple of Americans who are fairly clued up (one worked possibly at Capitol in the seventies?), and so there's an interesting slant on the post-breakup era from them.

These blow hards cause me unrest. Everything's so black and white. There's a couple of episodes where it sounds like they're personally offended by some of Paul McCartney's lesser solo stuff. Like he's wasted their precious time making them listen to it.

Quote from: popcorn on September 29, 2019, 10:55:15 PM
Right. I've been listening to podcasts for years now and I still think there's only one truly brilliant 5/5 podcast, and it's the Adam Buxton Podcast.

Nothing else comes close. Everything else is either pretty good sometimes or just a sort of comforting background noise. I've abandoned so many. It's a sea of 3/5s.

Chart Music is a 5/5 all day long.

popcorn

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on October 01, 2019, 12:02:02 PM
Chart Music is a 5/5 all day long.

3/5. Abandoned after four eps.

studpuppet

Quote from: SteveDave on October 01, 2019, 11:09:52 AM
These blow hards cause me unrest. Everything's so black and white. There's a couple of episodes where it sounds like they're personally offended by some of Paul McCartney's lesser solo stuff. Like he's wasted their precious time making them listen to it.

At least they're opinionated, rather than insipid 'careful-what-you-say' types. Listen to Screw It, We're Just Gonna To Talk About The Beatles, and Fabcast is positively palate-cleansing in comparison.

(I'm also personally offended by McCartney's lesser solo stuff.)

Ferris

I don't remember if this was a recommendation from this thread, but I've been really enjoying Whatever Happened to the Pizza at McDonalds. I actually laughed in public with headphones on, which I don't think has happened before.

It's weird and takes a while to grow on you, but the episodes are short and if you like Abso-Lutely produced stuff (On Cinema, Nathan for You etc) then it's worth a try. It's not produced by A-L, but appeals to the same sensibilities.

beanheadmcginty

Can I just say thanks for the Looks Unfamiliar recommendation. I'm only on episode 11 and it's already solved my biggest half remembered TV thing. Turns out that I had been trying to remember Virtual Murder for the past 20 years.
Has anyone suggested Gossipmongers yet? They need to bin off the musical interludes but the local rumours they read out have made me actually cry with laughter.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 03, 2019, 01:21:50 AM
I don't remember if this was a recommendation from this thread, but I've been really enjoying Whatever Happened to the Pizza at McDonalds. I actually laughed in public with headphones on, which I don't think has happened before.

It's weird and takes a while to grow on you, but the episodes are short and if you like Abso-Lutely produced stuff (On Cinema, Nathan for You etc) then it's worth a try. It's not produced by A-L, but appeals to the same sensibilities.

I'm interested in this but it has been going a few years. Do I need to start at the beginning?

Ferris

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on October 03, 2019, 01:15:51 PM
I'm interested in this but it has been going a few years. Do I need to start at the beginning?

Yeah, I reckon so - the in jokes and stuff will land better, and the tangents will make more sense. They're only 3-8 minutes per episode, I've only been properly listening for a few days and I'm up to ep 27.

Dog Botherer

^ sounds very familiar to This Is Branchburg, also produced by Tim Heidecke, and follows the day to day life of a fictional New Jersey town. for 15 minute episodes they pack a lot in, and at times there's something unsettling about the very silly characters.

only one season so far, ideal time to jump in.

Ferris

Quote from: Dog Botherer on October 04, 2019, 05:44:18 PM
^ sounds very familiar to This Is Branchburg, also produced by Tim Heidecke, and follows the day to day life of a fictional New Jersey town. for 15 minute episodes they pack a lot in, and at times there's something unsettling about the very silly characters.

only one season so far, ideal time to jump in.

Subscribed! Thanks

SteveDave

On Friday a friend recommended the podcast "Dissect" to me and it has blown my tiny mind.

The first series is about "To Pimp A Butterfly" by Kendrick Lamar and each 45 minutes (ish) episode breaks down each song from the album in great, academic detail. It's astounding. The presenter is a little dry though.

There are 3 more (I think) series about different hip-hop LPs too.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: SteveDave on October 07, 2019, 09:57:58 AM
On Friday a friend recommended the podcast "Dissect" to me and it has blown my tiny mind.

The first series is about "To Pimp A Butterfly" by Kendrick Lamar and each 45 minutes (ish) episode breaks down each song from the album in great, academic detail. It's astounding. The presenter is a little dry though.

There are 3 more (I think) series about different hip-hop LPs too.

Thanks for the recommendation, sounds right up my street.

Olarrio

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on October 07, 2019, 04:28:01 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, sounds right up my street.

It is genuinely excellent - be sure to follow up on it!

Dog Botherer

for those interested in the origins of the various codes of football (association, union, league, gaelic, aussie rules, gridiron), can't recommend the Rugby Reloaded podcast enough. the host is a professor who's mainly a league and union fan, and as such that takes a lot of the focus, but it's a fascinating glimpse into the wider history of organized sports really. most episodes clock in at under 10 minutes too, makes jumping in and out very easy.

mr. logic

Quote from: Olarrio on October 07, 2019, 08:15:24 PM
It is genuinely excellent - be sure to follow up on it!

Looks good, but five seasons in, it's disappointing that they're doing another Kendrick album. The genre has way more to offer than Pitchfork's favourites.

studpuppet

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 11, 2019, 04:44:11 PM
The Adventure Zone - terrific bit of work. Worth sticking with, because it builds into some of the best podcast storytelling I've ever heard, and you do not see it coming at all

I must have come to it from one of your multiple recommendations, Ferris - and I'll +1 it.

It's one of those premises that if you describe what it is (a bunch of Americans playing D&D), it sounds really shit, but I seem to be eighteen hours and still enjoying it. The hook seems to be that you discover more about the players' personalities (who I think are all family? They're certainly majority family), so there's a family dynamic in everything, but also a humour in those relationships. It's a podcast that's generally unscripted (aside from the Dungeon Master's descriptions etc.) and because of that any humour generated is relatively spontaneous and therefore lands harder.
Of course being grown men playing an RPG it's also puerile in places (sniggering dick jokes mainly) but the players are endearing enough for me to endure the occasional descent into stereotypes.
It's also (and this is really important for long podcasts IMO) something you can leave it playing while you nip out of the room and not feel you've missed anything.

And they nailed the BBC B Micro/Look Around You theme tune, which for me is really evocative of my brother trying to get me to play in the early eighties and me failing miserably...

Ferris

Quote from: studpuppet on October 09, 2019, 02:40:41 PM
I must have come to it from one of your multiple recommendations, Ferris - and I'll +1 it.

It's one of those premises that if you describe what it is (a bunch of Americans playing D&D), it sounds really shit, but I seem to be eighteen hours and still enjoying it. The hook seems to be that you discover more about the players' personalities (who I think are all family? They're certainly majority family), so there's a family dynamic in everything, but also a humour in those relationships. It's a podcast that's generally unscripted (aside from the Dungeon Master's descriptions etc.) and because of that any humour generated is relatively spontaneous and therefore lands harder.
Of course being grown men playing an RPG it's also puerile in places (sniggering dick jokes mainly) but the players are endearing enough for me to endure the occasional descent into stereotypes.
It's also (and this is really important for long podcasts IMO) something you can leave it playing while you nip out of the room and not feel you've missed anything.

And they nailed the BBC B Micro/Look Around You theme tune, which for me is really evocative of my brother trying to get me to play in the early eighties and me failing miserably...

They're 3 brothers and their dad, so all family. It is one of those rare shows that improves the longer it goes on. Music, production values, storytelling, it all builds really nicely. Stick with it, that's my recommendation.

studpuppet

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 09, 2019, 03:20:58 PM
They're 3 brothers and their dad, so all family.

They sound way to friendly with each other to be family (although admittedly I'm basing that on my sibling relationships...)

Olarrio

Quote from: mr. logic on October 08, 2019, 02:44:31 AM
Looks good, but five seasons in, it's disappointing that they're doing another Kendrick album. The genre has way more to offer than Pitchfork's favourites.

Ah, I didn't realise that. All my podcast subscriptions were erased recently and i hadn't re-subscribed yet. But I agree, Kendrick's albums are fertile ground for analysing but I'd like them to have spread their gaze a bit wider

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 03, 2019, 01:21:50 AM

This is really cooking now. On episode 41. Brilliant