Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:10:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Podcasts

Started by popcorn, July 09, 2017, 02:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

The DGA Directors podcast is good. Each one is a director talking to another about their latest film. A recent one had PT Anderson talking to Tarantino about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It can get a bit lovey at times but as they are among friends you often get more honest and unguarded answer, and the fellow directors ask different questions to the usual promo circuit press

dannyfc

Been listening to the The Missing Cryptoqueen on BBC Sounds.

It's an investigation into the sudden disappearance of the owner of a cryptocurrency pyramid scheme ran from Bulgaria. Interesting premise, good production value, and the host is decent to listen to albeit slightly sensationalist.

Only annoyance is the repetition of the same audio clips and prolonged recap intro to every episode. I can understand if it was a radio show and you want to hook people in, but surely they realise a lot of people listen to episodes consecutively and makes it a bit of a grind at times.

Also Hooked on BBC Sounds, basically drug addiction discussed by two women in their early 30s who met in rehab. Is OK, the premise is better than the execution but still interesting.

Stuff They Don't Want You to Know is probably my favourite in terms of being able to dip into any episode before bed and enjoy it. Two hosts research and discuss conspiracy theories, from outlandish (Celebrity clones) to relatively grounded (Epstein, CIA running cocaine).

All the hosts are low-key funny without ramming it down your throat like a lot of American podcasts., but are also genuinely interesting and the subjects aren't just a vehicle for gags. I don't even mind the fluff at the start, but would suggest skipping if you want to give it a go.

Urinal Cake

This riff by Virgil of Chapo Trap House is great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubyQ1lSDglg&t=9m50s
The Southern accent then fusing the DBZ fusion dance, sezu beans and Jack and the Bean stalk, nephews as well right-wing talking points would put a few improv comedians to shame.

Epic Bisto

The Word Podcast - haven't heard this in years, but I've been re-listening to Mark Ellen and David Hepworth carrying on with the hilarious anecdotes as heard on their wonderful Old Grey Whistle Test commentaries.  The discussion regarding Elton John's "Tantrums and Tiaras" documentary is still funny ("SOME FUCKING WOMAN WAS WAVING AT ME!"), but if you can't stomach scouring through 10+ years of episodes I would recommend that the uninitiated start off with the Mark King and Chris Difford interviews.

You Don't Know Mojack - a podcast dedicated to scouring the murky discography of SST Records, one record at a time and often accompanied by interviews with band members.  Even the godawful shit (Zoogz Rift aka Shakin' Zappa) results in some wonderful interviews.

Supporting Characters - film scholars and DVD producers such as Stephen Thrower and Alan Jones being interviewed in detail for hours and hours.  Every episode (except the one mentioned below) has been listened to a number of times.  It's lovely, tons of information exhaustively covered and full of good stuff.  However, the Tim Lucas interview was a chore - he's a good guy and has written a ton of great stuff, but hearing him drone on like Eeyore for roughly 3 hours was punishing.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Epic Bisto on November 05, 2019, 09:03:23 PM
hearing him drone on like Eeyore for roughly 3 hours was punishing.
If I was king of podcasts, I'd make them all half as long as they currently are. There are so many apparently decent podcasts with 2 hour, 3 hour episodes, every bloody week. It's like people are afraid to edit, or think there's a length = quality correlation.

olliebean

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 05, 2019, 10:15:49 PM
If I was king of podcasts, I'd make them all half as long as they currently are. There are so many apparently decent podcasts with 2 hour, 3 hour episodes, every bloody week. It's like people are afraid to edit, or think there's a length = quality correlation.

Can't be arsed to edit, more likely. What's that quote about not having time to write a shorter letter?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The only podcast that needs to be around three hours long is the brilliant Chart Music, and that's because the contributors have loads of genuinely funny, interesting, in-depth things to say about Top of the Pops and the various tangents it inspires.

Wallowing in a lengthy episode of CM is one of life's great pleasures, but it's definitely the exception that proves the rule.

Top Flight Time Machine, the football podcast hosted by Andy Dawson and Sam Delaney, is very funny.

Much like Athletico Mince, you don't really need to know anything about football to enjoy it, as it mostly uses football as a springboard into improvised flights of fancy.* Since the series started eighteen months ago, they've gradually built an agreeable world of sweary, whimsical nonsense and running gags. Also, Delaney, who used to edit Heat (don't hold that against him), is a never-ending source of ridiculous anecdotes. He's a funny fella.

* Granted, they do talk a bit about actual football in some episodes, but that's usually only for a couple of minutes at the end. I just zone out of those bits.

dr beat

TV Creamguide Film Commentaries. So glad to see it back back back. (Mostly) Scottish blokes swearing and talking about old shops, and all the better for it. And I've learnt quite a bit about films too.

dr beat

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 05, 2019, 10:54:32 PM
Top Flight Time Machine, the football podcast hosted by Andy Dawson and Sam Delaney, is very funny.

Much like Athletico Mince, you don't really need to know anything about football to enjoy it, as it mostly uses football as a springboard into improvised flights of fancy.* Since the series started eighteen months ago, they've gradually built an agreeable world of sweary, whimsical nonsense and running gags. Also, Delaney, who used to edit Heat (don't hold that against him), is a never-ending source of ridiculous anecdotes. He's a funny fella.

* Granted, they do talk a bit about actual football in some episodes, but that's usually only for a couple of minutes at the end. I just zone out of those bits.

Isn't there one where Delaney talks about his recent Guardian interview with Noel Edmonds?

He talks about Neol in this episode, but it predates his Guardian interview by about a year.

https://play.acast.com/s/topflighttimemachine/thenoelandphilshow

mr. logic

I just want to give another shout out to whoever recommended Brian and Roger, which is now one of my favourite ever comedy thing. Have listened to each one countless time, and have to force myself to listen to podcasts other than it.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: mr. logic on November 06, 2019, 02:18:44 AM
I just want to give another shout out to whoever recommended Brian and Roger, which is now one of my favourite ever comedy thing. Have listened to each one countless time, and have to force myself to listen to podcasts other than it.

It really is fantastic. I thought over time the format would become tired but naw, the opposite.

mr. logic

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on November 06, 2019, 08:23:45 AM
It really is fantastic. I thought over time the format would become tired but naw, the opposite.

Yeah, the first few episodes sort of set it up as Peep Show for divorced men, with them getting in scrapes. But as the true nature of their relationship was revealed, it just kept getting funnier and funnier. The sillier the location the better, for me.

boki

Thanks to recently bingeing on Todd In The Shadows videos, I've started listening to the Song Vs. Song podcast that he does with Dany Roth.  It's a good one for Pop-Crazed Youngsters to tide themselves over with between Chart Music Days (soon to be Weeks).

Epic Bisto

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 05, 2019, 10:46:57 PM
The only podcast that needs to be around three hours long is the brilliant Chart Music, and that's because the contributors have loads of genuinely funny, interesting, in-depth things to say about Top of the Pops and the various tangents it inspires.

Wallowing in a lengthy episode of CM is one of life's great pleasures, but it's definitely the exception that proves the rule.

Well, the next episode could be the longest ever and I can't wait.  I'm guessing we're due a 78/79 one since Price Cube is choosing the next episode - the dream one for me would be an episode featuring Boney M's almighty masterpiece "Rasputin".

As for the 3 hour podcast dilemma, Supporting Characters has a looong interview with Michael Brooke (ex-BFI and Indicator boss) and every second is wonderful.  It's a genuinely great insight to how risky putting together obscure blu-rays in this turnip chewing island can be, and also why taking a date to the Scala to watch "Thundercrack!" and "Let Me Die A Woman" isn't a good idea.

Keebleman

Quote from: Epic Bisto on November 05, 2019, 09:03:23 PM

Supporting Characters - film scholars and DVD producers such as Stephen Thrower and Alan Jones being interviewed in detail for hours and hours.  Every episode (except the one mentioned below) has been listened to a number of times.  It's lovely, tons of information exhaustively covered and full of good stuff.  However, the Tim Lucas interview was a chore - he's a good guy and has written a ton of great stuff, but hearing him drone on like Eeyore for roughly 3 hours was punishing.

On your recommendation, I have just looked up this podcast and saw that among the episodes is a 2½ hour interview with Danny Peary. Danny Peary!!!  For these last three decades I've been wondering what the hell had happened to him!  Thrilled now that I will finally find out.  (Well, I presume I will.  Over 150 minutes I should imagine the subject will be broached.) 

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: TIAL on February 18, 2019, 08:13:13 PM
Whatever Happened to the Pizza at McDonald's

I don't want to give much away but it's a very funny take on investigative journalism podcasts, the deadpan delivery reminds me a bit of Nathan for You/On Cinema.

Plus episodes average around 10 minutes so you can easily see if it's up your street.

just started on this, - loving it 3 eps in! thanks TIAL

TIALANKS

Ferris

paruses

Quote from: mr. logic on November 06, 2019, 02:18:44 AM

Another vote for this. Really is one of the funniest things I have listened to in years. Thanks for the recommendation.

paruses

Has anyone listened to Crime Club? It's part of the Great Big Owl stable I think as it's plugged on The The One Show Show all the time. I am not inclined to listen to it as I can't get past the idea that it's  a Bad Slags podcast voiced by a bargain basement Danny Dyer.

Quote from: paruses on January 15, 2020, 09:15:45 PM
Has anyone listened to Crime Club? It's part of the Great Big Owl stable I think as it's plugged on The The One Show Show all the time. I am not inclined to listen to it as I can't get past the idea that it's  a Bad Slags podcast voiced by a bargain basement Danny Dyer.

The title makes me think of Bob's Crime Files from Athletico Mince, and there's no way it can be as funny as that, not even by accident.

Blinder Data

I've been listening to Hunting Warhead, produced by Canada's CBC and Norway's VG, about police/journalists' efforts to catch paedophiles. Grim, slightly cheesy, but fascinating. Some of the people involved are real heroes (not the paedophiles). If you liked NYT's Caliphate you'll probably enjoy it.

Butchers Blind

The Treehouse. Twice weekly nonsense from Danny Baker in the style of the the old 5Live Saturday morning show.  Like taking off tight shoes as the man says.

Dr Ruja Ignatova persuaded millions to join her financial revolution. Then she disappeared. Why? Jamie Bartlett presents a story of greed, deceit and herd madness.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-50435014

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07nkd84

Keebleman

Here's a new British podcast that takes the approach of Ezra Klein or Tyler Cowan, where the guests answer for as long as they like and are questioned closely afterwards. 

https://unherd.com/confessions-with-giles-fraser-podcast/

I listened to the Andrew Sullivan one first and it was excellent, going deep into his background, how his thinking was formed and how it has evolved.

Giles Fraser has a rather annoying blokey jocularity, but the relaxed and open-ended format is far preferable to the usual Humphrys/Paxman pounce-on-'em style, which is refusing to die out: I tried listening to John Pienaar's show recently and it's disheartening that BBC journalists can't seem to work any other way.

WestHill

Really enjoying the Rob Auton Podcast. Gentle musings and observations, joyfully questioning the everyday. They're short (5-10 mins) but packed with ideas.

Keebleman

Bumping this thread to recommend John McWhorter's wonderful Lexicon Valley podcast, about all matters linguistic.  He's a terrific communicator with a passion for pop music of the 20s, 30s and 40s, regularly playing a minute or two of songs that are (usually very vaguely) relevant to the topic under discussion.  This episode is something of a primer in how professional linguists think of language.  Sample quote: "Every language spoken in the Caucasus mountains is viciously interesting, they're always worth a look.  Georgian is the one that gets in the shop window but they're all just fascinating."

https://slate.com/podcasts/lexicon-valley/2019/10/linguist-toolkit-ipa-phonemes-morphemes

As a taster, here he is being interviewed by Tyler Cowen.  Topics they discuss include the charm of the Sararmaccan language of Suriname, a defence of the idea that Shakespeare's texts should be updated, the merits of Porgy & Bess v Showboat, a lament over the limited lyrical themes of the Great American Songbook and a discussion of the issue of reparations for slavery.  Also, there are insults of varying degrees of hurtfulness aimned at Andrew Lloyd Webber, Taylor Swift and the Estonian language.

https://conversationswithtyler.com/episodes/john-mcwhorter/

EggsLikeABird

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on May 24, 2018, 11:58:54 AMJust started listening to The Reducer podcast - https://www.balls.ie/the-reducer/the-reducer-podcast-389096

The Tim Lovejoy on Football episode is an absolute gem.
Probably a massive longshot, but does anyone have this episode? The Reducer archive seems to have disappeared.

Ferris

Fourble might be worth a look, lot of stuff on there and you can create a custom RSS link and subscribe to stuff using your podcast app.

https://fourble.co.uk/podcasts