Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:34:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brass Eye 'Drugs' ep C4 ads/ trailers... etc 1997

Started by Brundle-Fly, July 15, 2017, 02:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Twenty years since that episode went out; so I have dug out my old VHS of it.

And here are the bits in between. An insight into the 1997 psyche for the younger or senile members here?

Ten years to the very week since my first post on this questionable forum.  Jesus.

My anniversary present? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WShnUVHF4Qw

BlodwynPig

"Keith told me about a promiscuous period"

Those were the days. The car ads especially!

Chriddof

Good stuff. Why's it been cropped to widescreen, though?

hedgehog90

THE MIRROR
TELLS IT LIKE IT IS

Ads were so much better 20 years ago.

hedgehog90

Bhazor

Like the Wriggleys Extra advert. Who would imagine? Combining chewing gum. With mint.

the

Ooh, I like a bit of context.

Some uncanny coincidences in there too:

- "Ah, Morris, uh, sit down."

- Dr. Balb Kubrox driving a Renault Megane

- Patrick Da Fronk's younger brother

Tucked away in the ER breaks, there's also some infamous-in-my-household bits of 90s car advert tat ("Mrs. Jones / Mr. Jones", Bryan Brown driving a wardrobe on wheels).

While trying to find the name of the Marion song that plays while F/X2 drives around, I found this Independent article from 1996 about the use of pop songs in car adverts. Car adverts have always been a meaningless void of awfulness, but it really gives a smell of the desperate beige soup of 90s car ads:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/drive-my-car-1358893.html

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Chriddof on July 15, 2017, 06:16:05 AM
Good stuff. Why's it been cropped to widescreen, though?

Ah, good question. I'm not very technically minded and edited it on iMovie. When I uploaded it on YouTube it came out widescreen.

Reading it back this morning, my late Friday night OP sounded a bit sarky about CaB. I was attempting dry humour. Keep up your excellent work, Bazza

Chriddof

Did a bit of Googling and apparently Apple have fucked up the ability in iMovie to export directly to 4:3 because they want people to make "beautiful HD movies".* And force people to buy Final Cut Pro, of course. Apparently you have to export it as pillarboxed 16:9 (black bars down the sides) and then use Handbrake (free video conversion tool) to crop out the bars.

* The overuse of the word "beautiful" in tech contexts is insane. Once you notice it, you notice it everywhere.

Brundle-Fly

Looking at the trails, I have no recollection of Johnny Vaughan's vehicle, Here's Johnny.

And come to that, only a scant nano-memory of Bob Mills' The Show. I find it fascinating how some Brit comedy was/is so beguiled to be marinated in an American BBQ sauce.

the

I watched a few episodes of The Show at the time, and remember it as 'alright'. Not as good as In Bed With MeDinner, nor indeed Bob Mills' standup, which is cracking.

Just looked - there are a few guest segments from it on YT. It's pretty much as I remember.

... That Caroline In The City trailer is so hackneyed, they might as well say "yeah we know it's a pisspoor import, but Friends is between seasons right now, OK?".

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: the on July 17, 2017, 10:19:39 PM
I watched a few episodes of The Show at the time, and remember it as 'alright'. Not as good as In Bed With MeDinner, nor indeed Bob Mills' standup, which is cracking.

Just looked - there are a few guest segments from it on YT. It's pretty much as I remember.

... That Caroline In The City trailer is so hackneyed, they might as well say "yeah we know it's a pisspoor import, but Friends is between seasons right now, OK?".

"Somebody wasn't breast fed..."

Captain Crunch

That poor woman trying to look impressed by her pie dish looks like she's just seen blood in her urine. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ah, they must have changed the instrumentation on the Intel melody since then, that really took me back.

Hugh Dennis looking EXACTLY THE SAME

Caroline in the City looks shit

Nineties mate

Brundle-Fly

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Oooh you've got your nostalgia all over my face.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 16, 2017, 08:43:34 PM
Looking at the trails, I have no recollection of Johnny Vaughan's vehicle, Here's Johnny.
If I remember right, it was in a similar vein to The Sunday Show/the non toy sketches on Adam and Joe. I recall quite liking it at the time, although I was in my very early teens, so what did I know?