Author Topic: Local "stars"  (Read 15259 times)

Re: Local "stars"
« Reply #150 on: December 20, 2019, 08:46:04 PM »
An excellent summation of Twink https://youtu.be/k399E5wWhRY?t=155

Also the segment after features Mrs. Brown when she was an embarrassing, somewhat dated character played by a tax dodger who had established a failed airline (yes, really) and not Britain's most popular comedienne.

« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2019, 08:48:20 PM »
Aha, here's someone I should have thought of sooner... Pat Ingoldsby. Used to do kids' TV in the '80s, and has been a common sight on Dublin's streets for years, selling his poetry books and that.

Another person who comes to mind is former Late Late Show pianist Frank McNamara, although apparently he's internationally renowned.

I remember walking past The Chieftains' Paddy Moloney one day on Ormond Quay... 'Hey! It's Paddy Moloney from The Chieftains all of a sudden!'

Yeah, it's just all a decrepit, reactionary and ugly and unimaginative... even Partridge would find that stuff "Saaaaaaad!"

You got there first... WOW, great minds!

Must give that a listen, cheers.

Oh fuck me, yeah, that yolk is creepy as fuck... being Eamonn Holmes' cousin does not improve things.
Saw him in October. He's a dead ringer for Lost Boys-era Barnard Hughes

Glebe

• On my own on Saturdays.
« Reply #152 on: December 21, 2019, 07:12:12 PM »
An excellent summation of Twink https://youtu.be/k399E5wWhRY?t=155

She really has a right nerve, having a pop at Shane McGowan. I think I saw her once years ago in the city centre.

Saw him in October. He's a dead ringer for Lost Boys-era Barnard Hughes

Glad to hear he's still about... speaking of Barnard Hughes (who was familar to me as a child from Mr. Merlin... another interesting role worth pointing out, his appearance as the psychiatrist in The UFO Incident.), I've still not seen it but as I'm sure I posted about before (and I imagine you're prolly aware of George, but anyway), he appears as the title character (with Martin Sheen as his son) in 1988 Hugh Leonard adaptation Da, weird to hear Sheen mention Deansgrange Cemetary in the trailer there! As I'm sure I've also mentioned before, a mate of mine knew a guy who was in a computer classs with Sheen when he was doing an adult education course in Galway a few years back.

Btw, hope your 'squashed Ruth Madoc' auntie is well George, and not feeling too squashed!

« Reply #153 on: December 21, 2019, 08:33:09 PM »
I just watched Da last month.
Also has William Hickey as the local eccentric in Dalkey.
Funny how local fascist tosspot Justin Barrett sounds exactly like the halfway point between Hickey and Mrs. Brown.

Glebe

• On my own on Saturdays.
« Reply #154 on: December 21, 2019, 11:34:50 PM »
There was also Sheen on Who Do You Think You Are?, visiting Kilmainham and crossing the Ha'penny Bridge.

Tags: