Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:04:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Local "stars"

Started by George White, July 16, 2017, 01:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

An excellent summation of Twink https://youtu.be/k399E5wWhRY?t=155

Also the segment after features Mrs. Brown when she was an embarrassing, somewhat dated character played by a tax dodger who had established a failed airline (yes, really) and not Britain's most popular comedienne.

George White

Quote from: Glebe on July 18, 2017, 02:25:16 PM
Aha, here's someone I should have thought of sooner... Pat Ingoldsby. Used to do kids' TV in the '80s, and has been a common sight on Dublin's streets for years, selling his poetry books and that.

Another person who comes to mind is former Late Late Show pianist Frank McNamara, although apparently he's internationally renowned.

I remember walking past The Chieftains' Paddy Moloney one day on Ormond Quay... 'Hey! It's Paddy Moloney from The Chieftains all of a sudden!'

Yeah, it's just all a decrepit, reactionary and ugly and unimaginative... even Partridge would find that stuff "Saaaaaaad!"

You got there first... WOW, great minds!

Must give that a listen, cheers.

Oh fuck me, yeah, that yolk is creepy as fuck... being Eamonn Holmes' cousin does not improve things.
Saw him in October. He's a dead ringer for Lost Boys-era Barnard Hughes

Glebe

Quote from: George White on December 20, 2019, 08:46:04 PMAn excellent summation of Twink https://youtu.be/k399E5wWhRY?t=155

She really has a right nerve, having a pop at Shane McGowan. I think I saw her once years ago in the city centre.

Quote from: George White on December 20, 2019, 08:48:20 PMSaw him in October. He's a dead ringer for Lost Boys-era Barnard Hughes

Glad to hear he's still about... speaking of Barnard Hughes (who was familar to me as a child from Mr. Merlin... another interesting role worth pointing out, his appearance as the psychiatrist in The UFO Incident.), I've still not seen it but as I'm sure I posted about before (and I imagine you're prolly aware of George, but anyway), he appears as the title character (with Martin Sheen as his son) in 1988 Hugh Leonard adaptation Da, weird to hear Sheen mention Deansgrange Cemetary in the trailer there! As I'm sure I've also mentioned before, a mate of mine knew a guy who was in a computer classs with Sheen when he was doing an adult education course in Galway a few years back.

Btw, hope your 'squashed Ruth Madoc' auntie is well George, and not feeling too squashed!

George White

I just watched Da last month.
Also has William Hickey as the local eccentric in Dalkey.
Funny how local fascist tosspot Justin Barrett sounds exactly like the halfway point between Hickey and Mrs. Brown.

Glebe

There was also Sheen on Who Do You Think You Are?, visiting Kilmainham and crossing the Ha'penny Bridge.

George White

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/celebs/twink-fighting-save-home-second-19085285

Recently discovered her old bandmate Barbara "Dick" Law is in Michael Winner's Bullseye as American Michael Caine's sister.

Cuellar

Quote from: George White on February 01, 2021, 12:12:43 PM
https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/celebs/twink-fighting-save-home-second-19085285

Recently discovered her old bandmate Barbara "Dick" Law is in Michael Winner's Bullseye as American Michael Caine's sister.

I thought 'twink fighting' was a scheme to drum up some cash

Marner and Me

Guessing Pete Price would be one of these, or Purple Aki

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on February 01, 2021, 12:18:15 PM
I thought 'twink fighting' was a scheme to drum up some cash

He did play drums in The Pretty Things for cash.

George White

Quote from: Marner and Me on February 04, 2021, 08:57:55 PM
Guessing Pete Price would be one of these, or Purple Aki

I once met a girl on a train, who later added me on facebook, I had no mmeory of who he was, and she reminded me, "remember you were the one telling me about some fella called Purple Aki..." I think it was because I noticed something dodgy going on at a railway crossing, which reminded me of the story of the reported death of one of Aki's victims.

Marner and Me

I've heard that one, poor guy saw him at the station and ran across the tracks to escape him, was he hit by a train or electrocuted, I can't remember. He was taken to court for it though.

George White

Noticed ads are still up in Dublin for this.
I know Hurley and the aforementioned Collins, but the only others who ring a bell are Karen Black (simply because I once came across her name in a Late Late Show guestbook, and presumed it was the more famous US actress/singer), and Laurie Hartz, the latter a black South African who moved to Ireland and was a kind of Geno Washington figure AFAIK.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Bjork's old band have really struggled since she went solo.

Glebe

Quote from: George White on January 10, 2022, 06:19:48 PMNoticed ads are still up in Dublin for this. I know Hurley and the aforementioned Collins, but the only others who ring a bell are Karen Black (simply because I once came across her name in a Late Late Show guestbook, and presumed it was the more famous US actress/singer), and Laurie Hartz, the latter a black South African who moved to Ireland and was a kind of Geno Washington figure AFAIK.

Ronan Collins, he seems  to always been doing pub/hotel bashes near me.

richjj1978

There are two I can think of

In the late 90's Wolverhampton used to have a guy who wandered around the town centre dressed as a cowboy complete with toy guns that he used to point at passers by.

In the proper celeb stakes is Doreen Tipton

Quote from: richjj1978 on January 11, 2022, 09:40:01 PMIn the late 90's Wolverhampton used to have a guy who wandered around the town centre dressed as a cowboy complete with toy guns that he used to point at passers by.

Ah, Dave Cox. I remember him very well as well as his previous incarnation when he used to walk at breakneck speed through the Mander Centre, holding a radio turned up very loud in one hand and a copy of the BBC test card in the other. He found God a few years ago.

JaDanketies

Fella used to walk around Manchester City Centre a few years ago with a very cold live rabbit.

There's some guy wandering around my local area at the moment who carries a large purple teddy bear and lots of bags, and he stalks and attacks girls and women, including striking them or threatening them with objects such as bricks and screwdrivers. He particularly haunts the trams. He did it enough to get loads of social media attention. Obviously he needs to be locked away somewhere but, y'know, austerity.

canadagoose

Quote from: richjj1978 on January 11, 2022, 09:40:01 PMThere are two I can think of

In the late 90's Wolverhampton used to have a guy who wandered around the town centre dressed as a cowboy complete with toy guns that he used to point at passers by.

In the proper celeb stakes is Doreen Tipton
Leith had one of them too, I think he's dead now. I wonder what possesses people to do that.

richjj1978

Quote from: canadagoose on January 11, 2022, 10:50:39 PMLeith had one of them too, I think he's dead now. I wonder what possesses people to do that.

Now we know names it's easy to find out more. The Wolverhampton cowboy is on Twitter. https://mobile.twitter.com/davidco69083988

seepage

"I Repeated and Received Jesus as my Saviour" - what, he fired his pistol to get Jesus? Oh, "Repented"

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: canadagoose on January 11, 2022, 10:50:39 PMLeith had one of them too, I think he's dead now. I wonder what possesses people to do that.

There was a local character cowboy in the Leonard episode of That Peter Kay Thing - I wonder if it was based on a specific one, or just there as a local character archetype?

George White

Quote from: Glebe on January 10, 2022, 09:01:19 PMRonan Collins, he seems  to always been doing pub/hotel bashes near me.

Recently found his band's cover of Ring Ring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xhMUxAI-aM&feature=youtu.be

George White

Just discovered that in his teens Adrian Dunbar was in the backing band of Ireland's leading Elvis impersonator, Frank Chisum.

Jockice

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 12, 2022, 11:30:19 AMThere was a local character cowboy in the Leonard episode of That Peter Kay Thing - I wonder if it was based on a specific one, or just there as a local character archetype?

Apparently there was one who lived on the same road as me on a council estate in a Scottish town when I was a child.

I say apparently because we moved elsewhere when I was seven and I have no recollection of him. But according to my sister, who is a few years older than me, he did exist and was known by all and sundry as Tex.

Jockice

And on that sort of subject, I lived in Hunters Bar in Sheffield as a teenager long before the Arctic Monkeys made it famous and there used to be these two guys who would dress all the time as Edwardian gentlemen. You'd see them in Hugh's News buying fags and milk while wearing top hats etc. I think one of them even had a monocle.

I thought they were great but never spoke to them. But apparently they were students at the art college at the top of the road. This will have been around 40 years ago and I hope they're still alive and still dressing like that.

Gurke and Hare

When I lived in Hornsey there was someone I'd often see walking down the High Street who had a highwayman look, big long coat and tricorn hat.

Jockice

There used to be two young blokes I knew when I was young myself who you'd see in all sorts of outfits in the city centre. They'd be cowboys one day, in dresses the next, and then vicars or something. On one occasion they turned up in bondage gear, with Azzo (I think that's what he was called) as a dominatrix and Julian (definite name. He was a dwarf incidentally) as his gimp. And proceeded to walk round M&S etc as if they were just on everyday shopping duties.

On another note, they once turned up at the office of the newspaper I worked at (on a week I was on holiday, I suspect they may have known that) claiming that they were planning to sue Salt And Pepa for stealing the tune for Push It from them. They did mess about with music and claimed they'd sent a demo tape to a record company that had somehow ended up in the hands of the upper echelons of the American hip-hop scene. That 'story' nearly ended up in the paper but luckily (or not) they decided to wait until I got back before publishing, so I was able to inform newsdesk that they were a pair of wind-up merchants and nobody in the music business had ever heard of them.

On that occasion they claimed to be a synthpop duo called Acting On Fargate (the name of the pedestrian precinct where most of their antics took place) and even had their photo taken for the 'story.' Which our trusty photographers with their usual accuracy had captioned as Action Of Farget.

I've heard that both Azzo and Julian have died in the last few years. Shame. I was a fan. Not of their music, just them in general.

George White

Recently listened to TJ Worthington's Looks Unfamiliar podcast and reminded by this thread of talk about Googi the Liverpool Duck, Rex Makin and Park Foods/Everton/DJ Spuddles chairman Peter Johnson

Makin being Liverpool's celebrity lawyer reminds me of Gerald Kean.