Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:44:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Local "stars"

Started by George White, July 16, 2017, 01:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vodka Margarine

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 17, 2017, 02:26:24 PM
Buster Sparkles, Somali Pirate and entertainer.

The Stables, Friday 7pm.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on September 17, 2017, 02:58:39 PM
The Stables, Friday 7pm.

Captain Jack's last Friday, all fucking night.

Oops! Wrong Planet

I often see Proxima Centauri muttering to himself in Budgens.

Shit Good Nose

"Half Price Suites are simply the cheap-e-est!"
"Hello, I'm Brian Steele from Half Price Suites"

Fucking everywhere in the 90s.  In Bristol and Wiltshire - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaD-HaOCBzM.

I believe Bri also had some involvement with "Top...to bottom...the one stop curtain shop!"  Who are still going.

steve98

Quote from: spamwangler on July 17, 2017, 11:05:26 AM
he looks great!

He does look "great"; he looks like a million dollars... but who's financing mick's looks eh? The mattress buyers of Moore street, that's who. Mugs.

Glebe

Jockice

Glebe

Keebleman

In South Wales in the 70s and 80s Stan Stennett was a very well-known entertainer, especially in panto, with his catchphrase of "Hello, butties!"

Despite roles in Coronation Street and Crossroads his only real national fame came when he killed Eric Morcambe.

http://www.morecambeandwise.com/viewpage.aspx?pageid=368

Jockice

Derek Batey ruled Carlisle when I live there in the 70s.

Glebe

Quote from: Keebleman on November 29, 2017, 11:25:07 AMIn South Wales in the 70s and 80s Stan Stennett was a very well-known entertainer, especially in panto, with his catchphrase of "Hello, butties!"

You have to be careful with the butty stuff, it's very Liverpool-centric and should not be taken lightly. Tarby clearly enjoys a nice chip butty, and Ken Dodd very famously rescued his Diddymen from a life of slavery in Knotty Ash's notorious Jam Butty Mines.

Thomas

Anyone live near Norwich's unusual puppeteer?

Here in Cork there's a man called High Kick Kev. His name's Kev and he does high kicks. I've met him a few times, and my girlfriend says he used to wander around the university campus flaunting his high kicks. I can't link to YouTube at work but there are a couple of videos on there, including one hauntologically titled 'High Kick Kev sighting at a bonfire'.

St_Eddie

Quote from: LanceUppercut on July 18, 2017, 08:57:15 PM

I've heard the safestyle guy actually walks the strees in that gear

Don't you mean to say that he stalks the streets?  I always got a bad serial killer vibe from that man in them adverts.  Genuinely.

There's nowt safe nor stylish 'bout him.  He's a wrong 'un.

doppelkorn

Quote from: Glebe on November 29, 2017, 11:39:52 AM
You have to be careful with the butty stuff, it's very Liverpool-centric and should not be taken lightly. Tarby clearly enjoys a nice chip butty, and Ken Dodd very famously rescued his Diddymen from a life of slavery in Knotty Ash's notorious Jam Butty Mines.

Might be a bit wider than that. Certainly used across Cheshire, as is "baggins", meaning packed lunch.

ieXush2i

Owen Money, does the Congress Theatre panto and played a hundred yards from my house a few weeks ago. For a tenner.

George White

Quote from: Glebe on November 29, 2017, 11:08:14 AM

My aunt Catherine works in the pictured Dunnes Stores, Cornelscourt and has done for 35-odd years. And indeed that supermarket's staff perhaps count here for Catherine and her co-workers' amateur drama group were regulars in RTE's "John Player's Tops of the Town", a sort of amateur variety showcase for drama groups and amateur musical societies.
Ah, Ronan. For those not in the know, RTE DJ and a very minor showband "star" in the 70s, only really becoming famous in the 80s on RTE radio and hosting Give Us A Clue knock-off Play the Game with Twink and Derek Davis (two other "names" there, imagine a Dublin Barbara Windsor and a Nordie Brian Dennehy). Also hosted the Lotto, but then made a mint on the showband nostalgia scene, finding long-lost relics of Irish cabaret, getting them to record their old hits, putting them out on compilations and then going on tours chased by Eoin McLove-esque fans.
Once got in trouble with Louis Walsh for slating Irish Popstars winners Six (basically Guys and Dolls for the S Club generation, notable for Nadine Coyle being booted out for being too young) -  https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/louis-walsh-rage-as-rte-dj-gives-6-of-the-best-to-bands-awful-single-26062931.html

George White

Talking of panto, Ireland's showbiz has been shaken by the revelation that Al Porter, a 24 year old "next big thing" comic, a sort of Irish Muppet Babies Frankie Howerd / Larry Grayson-type whose inoffensive queer/homosexual eunuch for all the family act (rather odd for such a youthful figure, opposed to the middle-aged "funny uncles" of his predecessors) has turned out to be basically a cover for a sex pest. His revival of Blind Date (itself long in development Hell, previously touted as a vehicle for rabble-rousing "starlet" Lucy Kennedy) has been put off air, and the remaining six episodes never likely to be aired again. His panto Polly and the Beanstalk (Polly being his dame character) that he writes/stars in has been retooled, with Rory from Mrs. Brown's Boys as his replacement. And it turns out that he is a vile little Twink (in every sense) whose career is ruined, and virtually unsalvage-able.

George White

Quote from: Keebleman on November 29, 2017, 11:25:07 AM
In South Wales in the 70s and 80s Stan Stennett was a very well-known entertainer, especially in panto, with his catchphrase of "Hello, butties!"

Despite roles in Coronation Street and Crossroads his only real national fame came when he killed Eric Morcambe.

http://www.morecambeandwise.com/viewpage.aspx?pageid=368
He had two roles in Crossroads, one as a US gangster, the other as Sid Hooper. He was also the "white" "comic relief" in the Black and White Minstrel Show.

Enzo

Quote from: Thomas on November 29, 2017, 12:35:45 PM

Here in Cork there's a man called High Kick Kev. His name's Kev and he does high kicks. I've met him a few times, and my girlfriend says he used to wander around the university campus flaunting his high kicks. I can't link to YouTube at work but there are a couple of videos on there, including one hauntologically titled 'High Kick Kev sighting at a bonfire'.

High Kick Kev is a good lad. Has challenged me to a high kicking contest once or twice.

Also in Cork, there is "Dancing" Dave. A huge bald fella with learning difficulties that loves to spend his time in town dancing to whatever is on in his headphones while loudly imploring everyone to watch his moves.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Up until recently, it was R2D2 man Kenny Baker, who frequented the Morrison's at the docks in Preston. I often dreamt of the day where I would be in there shopping, and he would sidle up and ask me to get him a jar of pickled onions or something from the top shelf. He never did.

Glebe

Quote from: George White on November 29, 2017, 02:29:33 PMMy aunt Catherine works in the pictured Dunnes Stores, Cornelscourt and has done for 35-odd years. And indeed that supermarket's staff perhaps count here for Catherine and her co-workers' amateur drama group were regulars in RTE's "John Player's Tops of the Town", a sort of amateur variety showcase for drama groups and amateur musical societies.
Ah, Ronan. For those not in the know, RTE DJ and a very minor showband "star" in the 70s, only really becoming famous in the 80s on RTE radio and hosting Give Us A Clue knock-off Play the Game with Twink and Derek Davis (two other "names" there, imagine a Dublin Barbara Windsor and a Nordie Brian Dennehy). Also hosted the Lotto, but then made a mint on the showband nostalgia scene, finding long-lost relics of Irish cabaret, getting them to record their old hits, putting them out on compilations and then going on tours chased by Eoin McLove-esque fans.
Once got in trouble with Louis Walsh for slating Irish Popstars winners Six (basically Guys and Dolls for the S Club generation, notable for Nadine Coyle being booted out for being too young) -  https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/louis-walsh-rage-as-rte-dj-gives-6-of-the-best-to-bands-awful-single-26062931.html

I've prolly seen your Aunt Catherine about George, as you can tell I'm a bit of a regular at Cornelscourt. Ronan was on The Late Late recently talking about health probs or something.

Quote from: doppelkorn on November 29, 2017, 01:59:13 PMMight be a bit wider than that. Certainly used across Cheshire, as is "baggins", meaning packed lunch.

Alright, fair enough about butties... I'd be careful with baggins though, don't want the Tolkien Estate after you!

Quote from: (Ex poster) on November 29, 2017, 02:18:16 PM

Either Richard Branston's let himself go or Freddie Boswell's looking well.

Thomas

Quote from: Enzo on November 30, 2017, 03:31:54 AM
Also in Cork, there is "Dancing" Dave. A huge bald fella with learning difficulties that loves to spend his time in town dancing to whatever is on in his headphones while loudly imploring everyone to watch his moves.

I think I might have seen him last night, or a copycat. I was in the room above a pub, watching him from the window. Someone came over to me and said 'you're staring out of that window quite whimsically', and I said 'I'm looking at this man', and together we watched him dance alone in the streetlight half-gloom.

George White

Quote from: Glebe on November 30, 2017, 12:44:36 PM
I've prolly seen your Aunt Catherine about George, as you can tell I'm a bit of a regular at Cornelscourt. Ronan was on The Late Late recently talking about health probs or something.
Freckly faced sort, dark hair, imagine a squashed Ruth Madoc.

George White

steve98

No allegations against Daniel yet? Not that I think there will be.

George White

There were for years rumours about Irish country vet Big Tom McBride, and it did go to trial in the 1990s, but the allegations of child abuse were proven false...

There's definitely something suspect about some of the newer cuntry stars, the boyfolkers. The one with alliterative names who sing sub-Wurzels-ish songs about tractors, performed as straight as an arrow, and yet think they're teen idols.

Glebe

Quote from: George White on November 30, 2017, 04:04:35 PMFreckly faced sort, dark hair, imagine a squashed Ruth Madoc.

Now there's lovely!

George White

Quote from: Glebe on November 30, 2017, 09:41:08 PM
Now there's lovely!
I don't mean to be rude. I love her, and all, but she's a smaller, rounder Gladys, essentially.