Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,183
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:17:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

George A. Romero dead

Started by asids, July 16, 2017, 11:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ah, sad news. The Dead trilogy were everything I wanted out of films as a teenager.

Bhazor

Damn shame. I still say his later films were misunderstood and Land of the Dead is pure schlock joy.

Can still remember watching Night of the Living Dead as a nipper and being thoroughly disturbed. Such a great, bleak horror film. The stark black and white imagery still creeps me out more than any zombie film since. Watching it, I just feel like I would never be able to escape. Brilliant film.

NoSleep

I loved all the "dead" films, even the later ones (there's even one with Windom Earle). I think my favourite of all his films is The Crazies, though.

RIP George.

New Jack

The first time I wanted a CaB dead thread to actually be a joke.

RIP George, his films were great. A rewatch is in order, while avoiding Twitter for obvious mentions of him turning undead

ASFTSN

One of the only one of these I've cared about in the last ten years or so.  Original trilogy are some of my favourite films.

Avril Lavigne

In a weird way this actually makes me less scared of dying, I have no idea why.  Anyway his original Dead trilogy was amazing and no other zombie movies have come close except Return of the Living Dead which shares a writer with Night.

phantom_power

Dawn of the Dead never fails to unsettle me when I watch it, and Day was my go-to gore film when I was a splatter-obsessed teenager, despite the bleakness it was always a fun watch.

I have a soft spot for Knightriders, an odd modern-day knight story with Ed Harris

New Jack

Mini

Night of the Living Dead showed the true potential of horror films. If the trilogy was all he'd done that would be an indelible impact, but he also gave us Martin, The Crazies and Creepshow. I hope he comes back.

Rev

Aw, this isn't someone snatched away tragically early, but I'd always hoped that he'd be able to make whatever his original vision of Day of the Dead was eventually.  One of the great modern horror directors, and nobody is replacing them as they fall away.

Gulftastic

Bazooka

A true horror hero, one of the best trilogies let alone the best horror trilogy.

Very sad, godspeed George.

Dannyhood91

I could've sworn he'd died around the start of the year. One man Mandela effect init.

Serge

I was never a fan of the 'Living Dead' films - I've yet to find a zombie film I like, I suspect the genre just isn't for me - but 'Creepshow' has been a favourite ever since I was a kid.

Bhazor

Of the original trilogy Day is definitely my favourite. Not the best of the three but Night and Dawn have been ripped off so much its hard to be excited by them. But Day? Day is still a wonderfully bizarre and grim little thing that feels fresh and original while still having all the gore and overacting you'd want in your schlock.

Glebe

Remember seeing an ad for Day of the Dead in the paper as a kid, with all these zombie faces, and being totally freaked out. Then owing it on video. Goblin's soundtrack for Dead is fantastic.

Bazooka

Quote from: Glebe on July 17, 2017, 12:13:58 PM
Remember seeing an ad for Day of the Dead in the paper as a kid, with all these zombie faces, and being totally freaked out. Then owing it on video. Goblin's soundtrack for Dead is fantastic.

Its just perfect that Goblin soundtrack, hmm just thinking about it.

madhair60

Suppose a person (me) wanted to buy DVDs of the "Dead" trilogy, Night, Dawn and Day, which versions are the most complete, available on Region 2? Preferably uncut completely and without Night's appalling extra scenes from the 30th anniversary edition.

Bazooka

I have this one, but it sadly has the bad version of Night, and slightly cut Dawn, bought it about 12 years ago not knowing that.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: madhair60 on July 17, 2017, 03:33:10 PM
Suppose a person (me) wanted to buy DVDs of the "Dead" trilogy, Night, Dawn and Day, which versions are the most complete, available on Region 2? Preferably uncut completely and without Night's appalling extra scenes from the 30th anniversary edition.

There are decent Blu-rays of Night and Day currently available, the latter from Arrow and packed with stuff. Dawn is out of print at the mo', but DVDs from Arrow are still floating about fairly cheaply. They've also got a box set of There's Always Vanilla, The Crazies and Season of the Witch coming out very soon. They also released Martin, but that's out of print too.

NoSleep

Quote from: Bazooka on July 17, 2017, 03:59:14 PM

I have this one, but it sadly has the bad version of Night, and slightly cut Dawn, bought it about 12 years ago not knowing that.

I've got this, too, but also a couple of other (different) single DVDs of the original Night that I probably found in Poundland or similar (one of which includes a colourised version of the film as a bonus).

Sin Agog

Also got that set.  It actually made me look forward to getting old, as in all the clips of Romero from back in the day he looked kinda chubby and sulky and intense, but the moment he got old he became a wiry, chuckling, affable old coot.

Apparently there's a Day of the Dead TV series on its way.  I can't imagine it not being a drearier, more forgettable version of the original (also my fave Living Dead).  It'll just be a bunch of army dewds moping about waiting for things to happen (which, in typical Walking Dead style, they only do in the last couple of minutes of each episode- just in time to get you watching the next one).

Been meaning to watch Knightriders forever.  Will give it a spin today.

kalowski

Quote from: Bazooka on July 17, 2017, 03:59:14 PM

Bad is polite. The 30th anniversary version is a fucking abomination.

NoSleep

Nah, it just shows Romero was truly committed to the spirit in which the original was made; not a trace of Hollywood/showbiz/"professional" glitz about it; it's really handmade. Even the terrible new bookends to Night.

Glebe

Night is still public domain, isn't it?

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Glebe on July 17, 2017, 08:39:41 PM
Night is still public domain, isn't it?

Yep, which is why the copy I got free with The Mirror or The Sun or something is better than the terrible cut included in the official DVD boxset seen above.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: madhair60 on July 17, 2017, 03:33:10 PM
Suppose a person (me) wanted to buy DVDs of the "Dead" trilogy, Night, Dawn and Day, which versions are the most complete, available on Region 2? Preferably uncut completely and without Night's appalling extra scenes from the 30th anniversary edition

Avoid the Argento cut of Dawn if you can, which I have on a French Blu-Ray version I picked up on the cheap (the UK Blu-Ray on Arrow is out of print and goes for £80 - £100 on eBay). For some reason I think Romero thought it best to let Argento edit the film for the European market (not the for the UK though the Romero version was submitted for release over here). It's only marginally different for most of the film, but the major difference is at the end. The Argento cut uses more of the Goblin soundtrack and replaces the excellent cheesy super-hero music that's in the Romero cut at the end with one of the guitar heavy Goblin tracks. Completely changes, and ruins the ending. Pretty sure it hasn't got the 'walk of the zombies' mall music over the final credits either. Just more heavy prog-metal from Goblin.

You'll only get the Argento cut if you buy a continental European DVD/Blu-Ray. The UK and USA version will always be the Romero cut but may have the Argento cut included as an extra.