Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:54:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

George A. Romero dead

Started by asids, July 16, 2017, 11:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

I've mentioned this before to film geeks and been stared at like some sort of escaped madman, and I expect exactly the same treatment here, but has anyone else noticed how everyone in the cast of Dawn's eyes are really far apart?

No, but now you've pointed it out, yes. Possibly a deliberate choice? A piece of art direction casting? One can only speculate.

The colour temperature makes the eyes very pronounced as well.

madhair60

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on July 17, 2017, 10:03:49 PM
Avoid the Argento cut of Dawn if you can, which I have on a French Blu-Ray version I picked up on the cheap (the UK Blu-Ray on Arrow is out of print and goes for £80 - £100 on eBay). For some reason I think Romero thought it best to let Argento edit the film for the European market (not the for the UK though the Romero version was submitted for release over here). It's only marginally different for most of the film, but the major difference is at the end. The Argento cut uses more of the Goblin soundtrack and replaces the excellent cheesy super-hero music that's in the Romero cut at the end with one of the guitar heavy Goblin tracks. Completely changes, and ruins the ending. Pretty sure it hasn't got the 'walk of the zombies' mall music over the final credits either. Just more heavy prog-metal from Goblin.

You'll only get the Argento cut if you buy a continental European DVD/Blu-Ray. The UK and USA version will always be the Romero cut but may have the Argento cut included as an extra.

Cheers. I still want to know if there's an uncut UK DVD though. The Trilogy version I used to own is definitely cut.

Bad Ambassador

The OOP DVD from Arrow is uncut, I think. The BBFC cuts were reinstated after 2003.

Someone do something to affiliate this link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/DVD-Blu-ray/Dawn-Dead-1978-1979-David-Emge/B0002WYROQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1500364672&sr=1-1&keywords=dawn+of+the+dead

NoSleep

This might help determine the right version of Dawn Of The Dead to go for:

QuoteTHERE ARE THREE VERSIONS AVAILABLE OF 1978's "Dawn of the dead"
the "U.S. Theatrical Release" (127 minute, unrated director's cut, with the famous "Goblin" soundtrack in DTS; this is Romero's preferred version), the Dario Argento-edited "European Version" (118 minutes, a faster pace, a few extended scenes, and more "Goblin" music), the "Extended Version" released for the 1978 Cannes Film festival (139 minutes, with additional scenes, more gore, and a music score of library tracks)

There's a fan edit out there, too.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Bazooka on July 17, 2017, 03:59:14 PM

I have this one, but it sadly has the bad version of Night, and slightly cut Dawn, bought it about 12 years ago not knowing that.

My version of Dawn of the Dead with this cover on the box is the baggier 'director's cut' with a commentary by Tom Savini. But I didn't realise this was different to the standard version until years later. It's got intact the exploding head, shoulder bite and screwdriver to the head scene that so upset the BBFC.

The first time I ever saw Dawn was on BBC2, and after the end credits there was a cool little animated logo. Is this on the original version? I've always missed it.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Wet Blanket on July 18, 2017, 11:52:38 AM
The first time I ever saw Dawn was on BBC2, and after the end credits there was a cool little animated logo. Is this on the original version? I've always missed it.

https://youtu.be/csss7B174Kc

My dad's pirate VHS copy had this ident on the beginning of it. Not sure why it would be included on a TV broadcast, but I suppose it's possible.

Wet Blanket

It was a version of this from the poster. The little head rose up from behind the logo

NoSleep

Quote from: Wet Blanket on July 18, 2017, 11:52:38 AM
My version of Dawn of the Dead with this cover on the box is the baggier 'director's cut' with a commentary by Tom Savini. But I didn't realise this was different to the standard version until years later. It's got intact the exploding head, shoulder bite and screwdriver to the head scene that so upset the BBFC.

That's the one I have, too. The length is wrong for the "director's cut" (which is meant to be 127 minutes with a Goblin ST). It appears to be the exact same length as the Cannes cut (139 mins) and has a lot of library music throughout (although some Goblin is included and credited).

NoSleep

So (according to IMDB) the 127 minute one is not the director's cut, but the US theatrical cut (but is Romero's preferred version) and the 139 minute one (featured on the Trilogy) is the Cannes cut.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077402/alternateversions

This guy loves Romero's inspired choices of library music in the Cannes cut:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2014/12/02/collins-crypt-on-the-many-versions-of-dawn-of-the-dead

Glebe

Remember watching the extended cut in a friend's house on VHS back in the day, with the extra scenes of the soldiers going into the apartment blocks and that. Saw the Argento cut later, can't really remember it but going by Viero's opinion there it's not much cop... I only remember the bit where they pile up the bodies, to a snippet of this lovely little jazzy number.

And lookie here, there's a new Romero boxset is on the way:

Wet Blanket

Quote from: NoSleep on July 18, 2017, 01:03:33 PM
So (according to IMDB) the 127 minute one is not the director's cut, but the US theatrical cut (but is Romero's preferred version) and the 139 minute one (featured on the Trilogy) is the Cannes cut.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077402/alternateversions

This guy loves Romero's inspired choices of library music in the Cannes cut:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2014/12/02/collins-crypt-on-the-many-versions-of-dawn-of-the-dead

That's really interesting. I don't think I've ever seen the Argento cut.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Glebe on July 18, 2017, 01:15:30 PM...And lookie here, there's a new Romero boxset is on the way:

Which doesn't include Martin - thanks for getting my hopes up! *tries not to cry*

Glebe

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 18, 2017, 01:27:18 PMWhich doesn't include Martin - thanks for getting my hopes up! *tries not to cry*

Never saw that... and on a side note, I'm actually not sure I watched the also-not-included Knightriders when in was shown on Moviedrome (cross-thread discussions ahoy!).

Bad Ambassador

I think I was the one who suggested Martin was in the box, sorry. Knightriders is available separately, at least.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Glebe on July 18, 2017, 01:37:50 PM
Never saw that... and on a side note, I'm actually not sure I watched the also-not-included Knightriders when in was shown on Moviedrome (cross-thread discussions ahoy!).

Both are well worth a watch – Martin is a particularly favourite.  Funnily enough, I was recommending Knightriders the other day to someone, who was very interested in the Arthurian legends and their retelling, and the mention of Romero sold them on it. I did have to check who directed it, for some reason, I always forget it who it was!

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 18, 2017, 02:53:32 PM
I think I was the one who suggested Martin was in the box, sorry. Knightriders is available separately, at least.

I missed the post! I just clicked on the link and started reading the article, assuming that more would have been included in the box.

notjosh

Has anyone else seen Monkey Shines? Saw it a few years ago and found it surprisingly affecting. Brilliant performance by the monkey.

Glebe

Quote from: notjosh on July 18, 2017, 05:25:15 PMHas anyone else seen Monkey Shines? Saw it a few years ago and found it surprisingly affecting. Brilliant performance by the monkey.

Remember that coming out on video, but it's another Romero movie I've not watched, natch. In fact, outside the triple-zombie-whammy of Night/Dawn/Day, the only other Romero-directed films I've seen are Creepshow and The Dark Half.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Wet Blanket on July 18, 2017, 01:21:44 PM
That's really interesting. I don't think I've ever seen the Argento cut.

Couple of years ago, I went to see Goblin (well, Claudio Simnetti and his new band mates) perform the soundtrack to a screening of 'Dawn' (the Argento cut) at the Union Chapel.  I tell you what, I really missed all the De Wolfe library cues.  Apparently, Dario despised them.

Also this fella is not in Argento's version for a start. Criminal.

He always reminded me of Oddbod Jnr from Carry On Screaming (1966)

R.I.P George

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 18, 2017, 08:32:02 PM
Couple of years ago, I went to see Goblin (well, Claudio Simnetti and his new band mates) perform the soundtrack to a screening of 'Dawn' (the Argento cut) at the Union Chapel.  I tell you what, I really missed all the De Wolfe library cues.  Apparently, Dario despised them.

Yeah, it seems as if the counter balance the library music brought to the film might have gone over Argento's head at the time. It's a vital component of the films success though and is the kind of innovation that made Romero's films stand out from the crowd.

NoSleep

I'm not sure his use of library music (which was made precisely for this sort of thing; access to cheap generic music for use in soundtracks) was that much of an innovation, but some of the choices he made are great. They sometimes put it through extra processing to make it spookier, certainly in Night Of The Living Dead. I guess library music works particularly well in Dawn of the Dead as it is a reminder of the kind of musak that would have been heard in malls back then.

Sin Agog

Dawn came right at the advent of Shopping Malls, and I think they were exclusively an American thing at first.  I wonder if the notion of this mind-numbingly chirpy elevator music echoing through this giant consumer redoubt hadn't travelled to Italy yet so Argento didn't quite grasp that element of the original.  He probably just heard it as bad music, when I've seen clips of those early malls and they actually did play music just like it.  Argento's made some sketchy choices at some points in his career, but in general he's always been a pretty sharp cookie so he must have had his reasons.

EDIT: Post made before I read NoSleep's above.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: NoSleep on July 18, 2017, 09:21:24 PM
I'm not sure his use of library music (which was made precisely for this sort of thing; access to cheap generic music for use in soundtracks) was that much of an innovation, but some of the choices he made are great. They sometimes put it through extra processing to make it spookier, certainly in Night Of The Living Dead. I guess library music works particularly well in Dawn of the Dead as it is a reminder of the kind of musak that would have been heard in malls back then.

Yes, the use of library music in itself wasn't innovative, but it's use in Dawn to underline the satirical elements of the film was fairly unique in horror films at that time. Argento had a vested interest in Goblin, so he probably thought 'why use library music when you have commissioned a score from this band?'. Hence it's heavier presence in his European cut of the film, but it just misses the balance that the library music provides.

Bhazor

RLM Re:view of Martin with a nice tribute to Romero at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C47zRs6SPZM

Not seen the film actually. One for the weekend I think.

Glebe

Romero's son on Facebook:

QuoteThis may be the coolest announcement I've made... ever. The best part is that this is only PART 1!

Since my dad passed away on July 16th, I've seen him honored by fans, members of the industry (some of whom truly loved, respected and looked up to him and some who are truly opportunists hoping to capitalize on his name). I've watched amazing filmmakers issue tributes, thanks and inspirational credits to my dad... I've watched millions of fans around the world grieve, celebrate, mourn, lament and iconize his name, reputation, body of work, etc... I've watched him receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (online, as I was not invited to the ceremony), I've watched him be honored with zombie walks, conventions, magazines, films, social media video tributes and just about anything else true fans of the man and what he did could think of to honor him... I've been sent photos of some amazing tattoos friends of mine have gotten and that fans have gotten to memorialize their love for his work... I've asked my friend, Jeffery Scott to design my memorial tattoo in only the way 1019 can do as himself, as my dear friend, as a man with insight into my relationship with my dad and as one of the most amazing artists I've ever had the privilege to call friend. I've lamented his loss with my brother, J.B. Beverley, shared a beer and some memories with friends like Chuck Daniels, cried on the shoulder of my best half, Becki Brewer and cried with Steve Barton, finally met and shared time with amazing friends like Scott Lake and Michael J. Junkin, talked and wrote for hours with my true and dear friend John Thaddeus, talked about the real future as the carrier of the family legacy with one of the best businessmen and a mentor of mine, Scott Valentine and spent all of that time with one goal in my heart and in my mind... to finally and without fail do whatever the Hell it takes to honor my father and his memory in the best and only way I know how to do. J Aaron Hager and I have spent a lot of time talking about a lot of things, but I have to give him a very special thanks for the following artwork.

Many of you know that I have been working to tell a story for many years... My dad read the script and called it "genius" (I'm not saying that from pride, it's an actual quote and I have the email to prove it! smile emoticon:)) Many have approached me about making this film and I've said no to many because even though I'm not a "precious" artist, this one is special... this one is mine... this one... is my love letter to my dad... to his work... to the fact that he was once called the most dangerous filmmaker alive... to the fact that society in 1968 wanted to shut him up as much as they wanted to celebrate him...

This one...

This one is the prelude to "Night," the film that created the pop culture phenomenon that has inspired thousands of filmmakers from backyard auteurs to $180M features to the single longest running and most successful show in the history of television...

This one has been a long time coming...

Those of you who have known about it for a long time and even helped support an indiegogo campaign a few years back to help me develop it to this point, know this project by its codename:

"ORIGINS."

It is with absolute great joy that I would like to present to you all very late this Halloween night, the announcement for this project's official title.

Shane Hurlbut Asc and I spoke last week and he has expressed to me that he as excited as I am to shoot this film with me.

Robert Kurtzman has expressed his excitement to deliver something y'all ain't never seen before with this one.

And it is my absolute promise to you all that this film will be everything it needs to be... it will be unapologetic... it will be the...

Sin Agog

Great news, and he seems like a lovely guy, but I was wondering why that title sounded more generic than it should, then I realised it was because that Apes remake already did the Rise thing.  You'd think there are only five sequel/prequel adjectives to choose from.

phantom_power

Using the original trilogy as a guide it should have been called The Evening Before of The Living Dead