Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:42:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Because the old thread's now hit 100 pages and will presumably soon be locked.

Last time on the Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast thread:

Quote from: Nicky on July 17, 2017, 12:38:14 PM
What if his dog attacks his kids?

Also, I'm catching up on some of the old ones now, having only caught the Stewart Lee episodes before this series, what do folks think are the very best interviews?

Panbaams

Quote from: Nicky on July 17, 2017, 12:38:14 PM
What if his dog attacks his kids?

That's the 2018 Edinburgh show sorted.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM
Also, I'm catching up on some of the old ones now, having only caught the Stewart Lee episodes before this series, what do folks think are the very best interviews?

Well the easy/cop-out answer would be "If you like the guest, you'll like the interview". I'd recommend Adam Buxton's three, David Mitchell's two, Peter Serafinowicz's two, Miles Jupp, Stephen Fry, Danny Baker, Bob Mortimer and Louis Theroux.

Utter Shit

The best one IMO is Iannucci and Linehan together. The addition of an extra guest allows them to bounce off each other brilliantly. Or to put it another way, there is less opportunity for Herring to interject.

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 17, 2017, 04:35:41 PM
The best one IMO is Iannucci and Linehan together. The addition of an extra guest allows them to bounce off each other brilliantly. Or to put it another way, there is less opportunity for Herring to interject.

Yeah, listened to this one a few times and it still makes me laugh. The Last of the Summer Wine stories are fantastic.

Sin Agog

Never got through the second Serafinowicz show. In the first one I didn't even notice all the "y'know"'s because there was some of the best raconteuring I've ever heard on a podcast, but he sounded like a mumbly soporific extra from Awakenings in the second one.  Did it perk up later on?

Anyway, Lemmy go scrawl through a list of guests and tell you the ones I liked:

Charlie Brooker
Iannucci and Linehan
David Mitchell (second one was even better)
Stephen Fry
Mary Beard
Russell Brand
Miles Jupp
Stephen Merchant (Good god, I didn't notice the simmering tension until he uploaded the video a couple of years later)
All the Buxton ones
Greg Davies (classic)
Harry Shearer
Jon Ronson
Katherine Ryan's one completely turned my opinion around on her (while her spot on Taskmaster almost turned me back the other way again)
Coogan
Victoria Coren Mitchell
Sofie Hagen
Bob Mortimer
That one with Lou Sanders was a mesmerising mess
Romesh Ranganathan
Louis Theroux!
Johnny Vegas
Limmy
Joe Lycett (I think?  It's weird how the later in the series I get, the dimmer my memory gets.  Must have relistened to the earlier ones a fair bit...plus Herring was starting to be more and more socially awkward in an unfun way at this point)
Lee Mack was quite unguarded and low-key in a good way
Ray Peacock
Vic Reeves.  I wish someone more knowledgable could have picked up the thread when he started talking about surrealist movies.  In interviews there are certain subjects that 'unlock' the person you're talking to, and from Vic's super-sensitive and earnest reaction to something Rich said about it, I'm sure this was it for him...but it just ended up awkward again
Simon Munnery.  Thought this was a bit of a late-period classic

And that's as far as the wiki list goes so I'll leave it there.

Utter Shit

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on July 17, 2017, 04:41:44 PM
Yeah, listened to this one a few times and it still makes me laugh. The Last of the Summer Wine stories are fantastic.

Ahahaha yes, Foggy finds the body of a baby in a burned out car or something? It also includes that amazing story about someone jokingly calling Alan Sugar a "great big nana" because of some minor mistake he made, only to get the response "shut up, scum".

lankyguy95

The best ones are generally where they don't let him indulge himself or take the piss out of him when he does. Both David Mitchell ones are great for this, as is the Miles Jupp one.

As far as I can recall, the Greg Davies episode is the funniest. I seem to remember one of the Buxton ones not being that good but I think both the others were. Theroux was very good. Apart from the last twenty minutes I can't remember anything from the Fry podcast. The Nick Frost one has the moment that made me laugh more than any of the others.

I don't actually think I've listened to that Ianucci/Linehan one, probably because of Linehan.

CaledonianGonzo

It's rarely mentioned, but I think the most I've laughed at one of these was James Acaster dismantling the 'man shaped like a penis' emergency question.

The Bob Mortimer one is my favourite with Limmy a close second. They're the only ones I've listened to multiple times.

pigamus

My all-time favourite bits are the Bob Mortimer one when Herring mentions Keith Allen ("Fuck off!"), and Mark Gatiss's description of Paul McCartney.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on July 17, 2017, 04:59:47 PM
The Bob Mortimer one is my favourite with Limmy a close second. They're the only ones I've listened to multiple times.

Conversely - and I'll hold my hands up to not being a fan - Limmy's short story is one of the worst 10 minutes of anything I've ever heard.

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, especially Sin Agog with that massive list.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: lankyguy95 on July 17, 2017, 04:52:12 PMAs far as I can recall, the Greg Davies episode is the funniest.

Also got one of the best Herring jokes (which I won't spoil for anyone who hasn't heard it yet).

big egg

Can't remember if the whole podcast was a great one but the Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton episode has the amazing story about when they asked Roy Chubby Brown if there's anything he wouldn't tell a joke about, and he replied - and Shearsmith's impression was spot on here - "I would never make a joke about a lady wiping herself"

DrGreggles

Off the top of my head my favourite RHLSTPs are:

Frost
Iannucci/Linehan
Serafinowicz 1
Gorman
Buxton 1 and 3
Jupp
Davies*
Baker
Gatiss
Osman
Mortimer*
Mitchell 2
Peacock
Munnery

*one of these two is the best

JamesTC

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on July 17, 2017, 04:41:44 PM

"Compo finds body of dead child in burnt out car" continues to make me laugh regularly despite being several years since I listened to it.

non capisco

Aside from Serafinowicz's beautifully told Phantom Menace anecdote my favourite bit in any of the run is Charlie Brooker telling the story about getting his young heart broken for the first time and turning the portable TV in his bedroom on its side so he could watch it whilst lying down.

Dr Rock

I just watched his supposedly cringe-worthy performance on This Week and didn't think he came out that bad. Not great, but Portillo was pretty rude and hostile, he's not usually like that, so he looked worse imo. 'If you think we're so crap why don't you try it?' ffs.

As for awkwardness, what about every attempt at humour and tortured, illustrated analogies in the style of Nationwide or something on This Week? Frankly the show is dogshit and it needs to go, as do Andrew Neil and Michael Portillo who have had quite enough of a TV career now. Dimbleby's a shit-cunt on QT and he needs to go too. The BBC needs to replace This Week with a serious but also cosy and light hearted show, presented by... someone who is not a smug unamusing tit like Andrew Neil (although he handled the GE leaders interviews ok). Peston On Sunday is the only political programme I can't find fault with, out of the ones I've seen. But that wasn't on this week.

As for RHLSP the Simon Munnery one is the best of the recent ones, all the other good ones have been mentioned.

bobloblaw

Jess Thom. A new name to me, and very funny. Plus Herring really handled the interview well for once, where others might have struggled with hitting the right tone. Impressive.

selectivememory

I haven't seen it mentioned, but I thought David Cross was one of the better ones.

Sin Agog

A few minutes in and I just remembered that Collins is a bit of a bore.

Genevieve

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 17, 2017, 04:45:08 PM

Vic Reeves.  I wish someone more knowledgable could have picked up the thread when he started talking about surrealist movies.  In interviews there are certain subjects that 'unlock' the person you're talking to, and from Vic's super-sensitive and earnest reaction to something Rich said about it, I'm sure this was it for him...but it just ended up awkward again

Don't miss Sunday on Talking Pictures TV http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/video/vic-reeves-take-day/  It'll include Laurel and Hardy, WC Fields, Woman in a Dressing Gown (featuring his favourite, Young Sylvia Syms), Albert Finney, Hayley Mills, Hell Drivers etc. etc. and interviews with the man himself.  As Vic would say "Get in!"

Sin Agog

Cheers, mate.  Looks right up my alley.  Hell Drivers is one of the most masculine things ever put out in theaters.  You can almost smell Connery and McGoohan's musty man-odours wafting through the screen.  Going on that film alone, Reeves knows his shit.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM
what do folks think are the very best interviews?

The Robert Webb one really sticks in my mind. He's very entertaining and funny and wasn't afraid to lay into that woman who does those Nativity films for being a "Lying cunt". Also the stuff about where he grew up in Lincolnshire, miles from anywhere and stuff like that was interesting.

The first Peter Serafanowicz one was very good. The Nick Frost one was excellent. Adam Buxton and David Mitchell are always value for money. Pemberton and Shearsmith double bill was great for obvious reasons. Rufus Hound gave an extraordinary interview where he documented a big row with that big one out of Kim and Aggie, also the subsequent abandoning of him by the TV company was very interesting. Miles Jupp was excellent. Bob Mortimer was fantastic, he's hilarious. Steve Coogan was brilliant and Louis Theroux is actually an extremely funny man. Johnny Vegas gave a great interview and I was pleasantly surprised by Bridget Christie.

I stopped listening regularly around series 8 where the guests seem to thin out a bit, let's say my selection method got a lot more strict. Basically if it was recommended on the CaB thread I might give it a listen as opposed to downloading the lot wholesale and working my way through them. Scroobius Pip for instance is someone I don't know who he is and care even less. Aisling Bea, don't Care. Ciarad who?? Hal whatenden? Who are these people?

Of the later episodes standouts include Simon Munnery who was pissed and that tourettes girl who came out with some of the most extraordinary stuff I've ever heard.

Looking at the last couple of series it doesn't look like I've missed a lot, still, there's some great stuff in those first 6 or 7 series.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 17, 2017, 04:51:46 PM
Ahahaha yes, Foggy finds the body of a baby in a burned out car or something? It also includes that amazing story about someone jokingly calling Alan Sugar a "great big nana" because of some minor mistake he made, only to get the response "shut up, scum".

Compo bursts a dog's cock.

Surely that's the best one?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: lankyguy95 on July 17, 2017, 04:52:12 PM
The Nick Frost one has the moment that made me laugh more than any of the others.

The bit about the grey cylinder? That was amazing.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Natnar on July 19, 2017, 10:56:45 AM
The Andrew Collins one is up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5sCjCePYvg it's not going to be awkward at all is it...

Surprisingly, Mr Herring is coming off as more awkward.
But it's nice to see them together again