Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:33:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Going through a lot of these older ones. It's incredible.

Herring get's all these amazing guests but it's just a vehicle for Rich to do his abysmal jokes and funny questions and it's just a bore after a while. I know that's part of the joke, that Herring is a narcissistic, embittered, failed comic but it does really get on my tits after a while. It's worse because when in conversation Herring can actually be quite funny but jesus he just sours it for me.

Espwcially his post joke UHHHHHHHHH. I hate it.

I have probably moaned like this before but K cant be arsed to go back.

Replies From View

Over the years I've come to realise that it's not so much "part of the joke" as a plain old truth that he's trying to spin as one.

It's a slightly less in-your-face version of Gervais being a tit on Twitter and then trying to cover his arse by saying it was all clever in-character research for a comedy thing he was doing.

Tairy_Green

QuoteIf it's a success then that will help us move RHLSTP and possibly an Emergency Questions TV show onwards.

Is there any way in which one might buy negative copies of this toilet book?

Edit - Quotation is from Herring's blog.

hedgehog90

Is that quote from his blog a joke or has he completely lost his mind?

I was a bit taken aback at the idea at first but I could actually see Dave doing an emergency questions show in the style of that Jon Richardson thing.

Replies From View

Yeah I could imagine Dave doing a shit programme of some kind.

Sebastian Cobb

Dave would make a pilot of it, drop it then just copy the core concept with some other wristers.

Replies From View

The new series started. Episode with Jonathan Ames has gone up. I was hoping the Alex Horne one would be first. He's also announced for later in the run Greg Davies, Lucy Porter and someone from The Chase. Looking forward to Greg's episode but no interest in hearing him talk to a quizzer for an hour.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on October 03, 2018, 01:44:50 PM
The new series started. Episode with Jonathan Ames has gone up. I was hoping the Alex Horne one would be first. He's also announced for later in the run Greg Davies, Lucy Porter and someone from The Chase. Looking forward to Greg's episode but no interest in hearing him talk to a quizzer for an hour.

Oh cool, I'm a big fan of Ames and almost went to the recording so am looking forward to this one.

Twit 2

He was just on BBCR2 plugging his book. Wrighty & co lapped it up.

Pseudopath

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on October 03, 2018, 01:44:50 PM
someone from The Chase.

I assumed it would be Paul "The Sinnerman" Sinha, what with him being a stand-up and all... but it's actually Jenny "The Vixen" Ryan. Good job I like intelligent, attractive ginnocks!

olliebean

Christ, in this one he mentions he's been recording commentaries for old episodes of this - like he doesn't monopolise the conversation enough already with his own anecdotes. (Although to be fair, the guest he specifically mentioned in this context was Brian Blessed, possibly the only episode where Herring might reasonably have thought he could have done with saying more.)

The quality of Herring's anecdotes in this has now reached the level where one introduced as "I nearly died" turns out to amount to literally nothing more than "I felt quite ill during the night."

Ames is interesting, though.

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 03, 2018, 05:39:25 PM
I assumed it would be Paul "The Sinnerman" Sinha, what with him being a stand-up and all... but it's actually Jenny "The Vixen" Ryan. Good job I like intelligent, attractive ginnocks!

To be fair I haven't seen The Chase since she joined. But out of the other four Sinha is the only one I thought could be good (Didn't he do one of the Edinburgh ones?) because of the comedy background. Some interesting looking guests this series. Amanda Abbington had to cancel this week but apparently she'll be on later in the month. Besides her there's Greg, Buxton, Alice Lowe, Terry Hall, Rose Matefeo, Michael Sheen, Terry Hall... Fuck knows why Rick Edwards is doing one. Drunk Women Solving Crime are also supposed to be doing it, isn't his wife one of them? They were on Ian Boldsworth's radio show the other week and I'm sure they said Catie Wilkins was part of it.

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: olliebean on October 03, 2018, 07:44:11 PM
Christ, in this one he mentions he's been recording commentaries for old episodes of this - like he doesn't monopolise the conversation enough already with his own anecdotes. (Although to be fair, the guest he specifically mentioned in this context was Brian Blessed, possibly the only episode where Herring might reasonably have thought he could have done with saying more.)

The quality of Herring's anecdotes in this has now reached the level where one introduced as "I nearly died" turns out to amount to literally nothing more than "I felt quite ill during the night."

Ames is interesting, though.

Ya gotta be fucking kidding

Pseudopath

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on October 03, 2018, 08:02:43 PM
Sinha is the only one I thought could be good

Yeah...I've heard he's a pretty affable chap in real life*. I think I recall someone on here mentioning that his stand-up routine contains a bit where he explains how the other Chasers got their nicknames, leading up to the punchline: "...and they call him The Beast because he fucks his own cousin."

*Although, to be fair, I've met Mark Labbett in person and found him incredibly warm and witty too (once I got over how fucking gigantic he his).

lankyguy95

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 03, 2018, 11:23:08 PM
Yeah...I've heard he's a pretty affable chap in real life*. I think I recall someone on here mentioning that his stand-up routine contains a bit where he explains how the other Chasers got their nicknames, leading up to the punchline: "...and they call him The Beast because he fucks his own cousin."
He's been on the podcast before and he told that very joke.

Pseudopath

Quote from: lankyguy95 on October 03, 2018, 11:33:41 PM
He's been on the podcast before and he told that very joke.

Ah...fair do. Someone must have recounted it on here as I don't remember seeing his RHLSTP (or any of the Edinburgh shows).

magval

Is this the cab thread with the most posters who hate the thing they watch every episode of?

Pseudopath

Quote from: magval on October 03, 2018, 11:57:37 PM
Is this the cab thread with the most posters who hate the thing they watch every episode of?

Either this or the Still Game thread, I'd imagine.

DrGreggles

Some of the guests are popular here.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on October 03, 2018, 08:02:43 PM
To be fair I haven't seen The Chase since she joined. But out of the other four Sinha is the only one I thought could be good (Didn't he do one of the Edinburgh ones?) because of the comedy background. Some interesting looking guests this series. Amanda Abbington had to cancel this week but apparently she'll be on later in the month. Besides her there's Greg, Buxton, Alice Lowe, Terry Hall, Rose Matefeo, Michael Sheen, Terry Hall... Fuck knows why Rick Edwards is doing one. Drunk Women Solving Crime are also supposed to be doing it, isn't his wife one of them? They were on Ian Boldsworth's radio show the other week and I'm sure they said Catie Wilkins was part of it.

Yeah, he mentions in the latest episode that his wife is going to be on it in a few weeks time.

I've watched half of the Ames episode so far and really enjoyed it, there's not been many emergency questions and Herring lets Ames talk a lot rather than rambling on about himself, so far at least.

Terryfuckwit

I dont watch every episode. Hardly any really but only post when its something I dont like

Sin Agog

Love Ames, but had to switch that off.  It was something about the look in his eye every time he had to transmute one of Herring's badly-framed questions into something interesting.  It's like if Boris Johnson decided to pack in politics and become an interviewer, 85% of the interview would be him just fannying about making word salad in the hope that eventually something resembling a question would come out of it.  Maybe it'd been too long since I watched one of these? 

Hey Kidz

I thought it was a good 'un. I like coming here and reading the griping about how much of a cunt Herring is too.

Chollis

Was wondering this too as this thread is almost always near the top yet Herring seems to be universally regarded as a cunt on here. I'm assuming he just gets top notch guests?

I've never listened to this so where shall I start lads!? Or should I just look through and see which guests I'm most interested in?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Chollis on October 04, 2018, 12:37:46 PM
I'm assuming he just gets top notch guests?

Thats the frustration, he does get top quality guests but then spends most of the time waffling on about himself and asking shit emergency questions. Its such a wasted opportunity.