Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:40:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Do the Edinburgh Fringe ones still sound as if the microphone is in a bin backstage?

DrGreggles

This one is a bit dodgy, but I think the audio file was recovered from a backup.

Beach

Doug Anthony All Stars episode was pants. Was fun to hear the heckler @ the end ツ

McFlymo

I wish I liked Baddiel, but he's so annoyingly smug. He does this occasional moment of self-deprecating reflection, but it feels so fucking fake and engineered to make him seem more human and down-to-earth that it just makes me hate him even more.

I did pick up on the rapport he and Herring had, that seemed nice. If Baddiel didn't think so highly of himself, I think the two of them could be an interesting partnership in another podcast or some such.

Brendon Burns also annoys me and isn't a good comedian AT ALL, but I quite liked that podcast. It put me onto the podcast he and Craig Quartermaine did, while on tour, which is fun listening if you're into hearing comedians talk about their good and bad gigs. I like that sort of thing, so I do.

McFlymo

I quite liked the DAAS one. Those guys seem quite charming and lovely. I decided to listen to some of their music. It's also great!

McFlymo

Quote from: Gwen Taylor on ITV on July 23, 2017, 10:22:34 PM
Might have been Harry Shearer?

Yes! This one.

And as mentioned earlier: The cringe of Herring's grovelling under David Cross was mighty on that one. David Cross seemed to be a bit perplexed that Herring was talking about himself a lot.

remedial_gash

Quote from: McFlymo on August 09, 2017, 01:49:50 AM
Yes! This one.

And as mentioned earlier: The cringe of Herring's grovelling under David Cross was mighty on that one. David Cross seemed to be a bit perplexed that Herring was talking about himself a lot.

Yeah but he also conceded that he knew nothing of Mr Show, but really liked the Tobias character man in Arrested Developement - he is proud of doing no research. The twat.

Otisberg

I do hope in future interviews Herring tells the stories of his fight and the ventriloquist dummy hand.

Also - if you buy the Emergency Questions book, you lack an imagination.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Otisberg on August 10, 2017, 12:00:53 PM
I do hope in future interviews Herring tells the stories of his fight and the ventriloquist dummy hand.

Also - if you buy the Emergency Questions book, you lack an imagination.

What if you wrote it?

Replies From View

Herring's Emergency Questions book and Gervais' Flanimals book are one and the same in my mind.  I'd be embarrassed to find either of them in the toilet room of a friend.

TheManOne

Quote from: Otisberg on August 10, 2017, 12:00:53 PM

I only learned recently that he likes to play snooker against himself and he podcasts it all! Imagine! What an absolute maverick loon! I hope he brings that up at some point.

Dr Rock

EMERGENCY QUESTION - Would you rather buy, read and try to ask people the emergency questions at some sort of dinner party or gathering, or receive a sharp electric shock once a day for a week?

checkoutgirl

EMERGENCY QUESTION, would you rather be wanked off by Stewart Lee using a ventriloquist's dummy or have an armpit that dispenses ham?

Bad Ambassador

EMERGENCY QUESTION Why would you remain with an agent that clearly does nothing for your career, yet continues to take a share of your income while forcing you to fundraise from your own fans to get even the simplest projects off the ground?

The Roofdog

His agent can't be touching his podcasting bounty, surely. The podcasting is what he's doing because his agent is shite.

Pranet

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on August 10, 2017, 03:49:36 PM
EMERGENCY QUESTION Why would you remain with an agent that clearly does nothing for your career, yet continues to take a share of your income while forcing you to fundraise from your own fans to get even the simplest projects off the ground?

He has used kickstarter to fund filming his podcast and a sketch show. Are you thinking that for a comedian to get a chat show or sketch show it is as easy as asking their agent to arrange a broadcaster to fund it and then it happens?

I find his emergency questions as annoying as anyone (you all seem to have missed the Bec Hill one. Whatever you do, don't listen to it) but sometimes on this thread I get the impression that that understandable annoyance has caused people to leave all reason behind. It is like the end of a relationship when the other person can literally do nothing right and their every action is taken as more evidence that they are irredeemable.

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Quote from: Pranet on August 10, 2017, 05:44:45 PM
He has used kickstarter to fund filming his podcast and a sketch show. Are you thinking that for a comedian to get a chat show or sketch show it is as easy as asking their agent to arrange a broadcaster to fund it and then it happens?

He is noticeably absent from most panel shows though, I wonder if this is a choice by him or because he's not signed up with Avalon*.

*I think it's Avalon who represent the mainstream panel show guests on the likes of Mock the Week and 8 out of 10 Cats.

CaledonianGonzo

thegammonboys

Quote from: TheManOne on August 10, 2017, 02:08:56 PM
I only learned recently that he likes to play snooker against himself and he podcasts it all! Imagine! What an absolute maverick loon! I hope he brings that up at some point.
Guest: tries to talk in depth about the multi-faceted nature of the comedy performer and how it requires access to multiple parts of oneself.
Herring: Honestly, a comedian with split personalities? That's mad. SO UHHHHHH
Small audience titter. Guest looks confused.
Herring: Basically, I do this podcast where...

And so on.

CaledonianGonzo

Folk may not find them funny (for me the results can vary), but the callbacks and running jokes serve a clear comic purpose.  It's a deliberate bit of world building and attempt to  turn the podcasts into more than just a set of unrelated interviews.

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 10, 2017, 06:32:08 PM
It's a deliberate bit of world building and attempt to  turn the podcasts into more than just a set of unrelated interviews.

I think people wouldn't object to the 'world building' if it was funny.

Quote from: Gwen Taylor on ITV on August 10, 2017, 06:17:10 PM
He is noticeably absent from most panel shows though, I wonder if this is a choice by him or because he's not signed up with Avalon*.

*I think it's Avalon who represent the mainstream panel show guests on the likes of Mock the Week and 8 out of 10 Cats.

Hasn't he said in the past something to the effect of he doesn't watch some panel shows because his wife has a problem with the gender balance on those shows? I think he was talking about WILTY. Maybe he doesn't do them for similar reasons.

Pranet

I think he would do most panel shows he was asked to. He did This Week. I don't think he is that good at them. Funnily enough, I thought one of the ones he was best at was that Radio 4 thing Andrew Collins presented back in the day.

Banter. My main memories of that are Russell Howard was on it too much and Will Smith was obsessed with Bergerac.

Pranet

That's the chap. I have fond memories of that, don't know if they would hold up if I heard it again.

Vodka Margarine

Just watched the Andrew Collins one. More of the same with those two, really. Boorish, self absorbed wind up merchant meets restless, self effacing, maybe ever so slightly on-the-spectrum pop culture nerd. These two would never have been friends at school and they aren't now as middle aged men. Were they really ever?  I get the impression that Collins in particular is still quite wounded by a mild bitch-off that happened six years ago, which is depressing. Herring meanwhile – at least in the presence of his old sparring partner - has reined in his "character of Richard Herring" bullshit considerably.

Sin Agog

Yeah, but didn't you get the feeling that he reigned himself in so as to project a 'too cool to care' image to contrast with Collins' neediness?

Vodka Margarine

Yes, Herring is very clever and here it felt like he was almost opening up a portal for Collins to sound off in. Trouble is, Collins seems to have held on to his grudges, sometimes justifiably so. That stuff about Herring not once asking him how he was or what was going on during the podcast days rang completely true and I'm not sure Herring knew how to respond on the spot in a funny and irreverent way.