Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:04:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Been catching up on a few I missed over the last couple of days, I quite liked the Lou Sanders one (the Gary Delaney cunt comment especially) and loved the Danielle Ward interview, listening to it made me really wish she hadn't given up stand up. Also caught the most recent David Mitchell one which was pretty decent too, both of the latter didn't have Herring acting too much of a twat but I wish there'd been less emergency questions with Mitchell and more about his career, though I guess that might have been covered in his first appearance.

DrGreggles

lankyguy95

He's like Louis Theroux is to Adam Buxton's podcast - instant click, instant like. An absolute joy.

Oliver Mardy

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 21, 2018, 01:50:36 PM
The latest one with Greg Davies is obviously great.

Who's the fat chap that sits opposite him, making sure that any sense of fun is kept within strict limits?

Yeah Greg Davies is a perpetual joy isn't he. Brings the best out of Rich too.

Also this was the first time I'd watched the video version for a while and Herring's sitting posture is abysmal isn't it? Made my back ache just watching him.

Tony Tony Tony

I saw Greg Davies do a set at Knebworth Comedy Fest recently. He previewed what he was going to do at the Royal Command performance and it was well up to his reliably hilarious standard.

For any Greg afficianados the command performance was filmed Nov 19 and will be on TV "some time in December"

SteveDave

Replies From View

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on November 21, 2018, 03:42:57 PM
Brings the best out of Rich too.

The gulf between them is immense, though.  Davies does his "these cunts shop at the same place" mug-and-watch story, which Herring follows, sniggeringly, with something deeply forgettable along roughly the same lines, adding nothing and, if anything, deflating the room a bit.

I think Herring's story had the meat of something that could have been funny but he really fluffed the delivery. Contrast it to Greg's, Greg said from the start there was nothing funny in it, there was nothing really overly funny in the story, but he delivered it with comedic precision and infectious enthusiasm. Rich was a bit muddled in his and he gave so much superfluous information that it killed the story.

Sin Agog

I don't know why people expect someone who's written two books of emergency questions to be a wellspring of cogency.

c

Rich doing "I won the mums" except about dads.

Also enjoyed Greg immediately mocking the quality of Herring's comedy chat, with 'and we're off!' and the anecdote about a chair nobody can see.

Replies From View

Quote from: c on November 23, 2018, 07:58:44 AM
Rich doing "I won the mums" except about dads.

Also enjoyed Greg immediately mocking the quality of Herring's comedy chat, with 'and we're off!' and the anecdote about a chair nobody can see.

You're missing a lot more than a chair if you're not bothering with the video version.  Greg Davies is fantastically visual throughout, whether he's impersonating his pal whooping in laughter or a doctor holding the tip of his penis upright for three minutes.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on November 22, 2018, 01:21:15 AM
'A bowl of cheese' my god that was funny.

"The thought of you two tender chickens pecking away at each other is more than I can bear"

Greg Davies is always an enjoyable presence and I can't think of anyone that really dislikes him, but I still don't think he gets enough credit. He has often made me laugh harder than most comedians.

Utter Shit

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 23, 2018, 01:45:04 PM
Greg Davies is always an enjoyable presence and I can't think of anyone that really dislikes him, but I still don't think he gets enough credit. He has often made me laugh harder than most comedians.

Yeah completely agree - I guess it's because his stuff never comes across as crafted or particularly complex, which is what comedy fans want from a comedian? He just turns up and, whatever the format, is effortlessly funny. I have to admit to finding his "and this is genuinely true..." lead-ins a bit annoying (not to mention unnecessary, when has that sentence ever made you MORE believing of the anecdote rather than less) but he is just an absolute joy in everything. You can tell other comedians love him too, whenever he appears on a panel show the atmosphere is noticeably better than the average, and he regularly has other comics crying with laughter...I've posted them on here recently, but his Peter Andre voice on Mock The Week and, more famously, his Chris Eubank stuff on Cats Countdown has everyone in hysterics. "I dunno Greg, is your Chris Eubank impression that good?".

up_the_hampipe

I think his "this is genuinely true" line is a defence mechanism against what Richard Herring was saying. He thinks that audiences would assume he made all these ridiculous quotes and stories up, so he feels the need to constantly establish that these things happened, and it can also work for emphasis. You need to know this is exactly what this person said before I continue, otherwise you won't fully appreciate it.

BeardFaceMan

Its not so much the "this is genuinely true" stuff, its the "and this is the funniest thing ive ever heard/this line will go with me to my grave" type stuff that grates, especially when he does it several times a show, he doesnt need it, the stories are good enough on their own. Is that why he doesnt get much credit as a comedian, because he doesnt really do much material type stuff, its more anecdotal? Shouldn't matter, hes one of the most effortlessly entertaining and funny comedians out there today.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 23, 2018, 03:26:59 PM
Is that why he doesnt get much credit as a comedian, because he doesnt really do much material type stuff, its more anecdotal?

I don't think so, a lot of very famous and respected comedians are largely storytellers. He's mainly known for his acting roles and panel show appearances, so he might not be considered a stand-up to many people.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 23, 2018, 03:26:59 PMShouldn't matter, hes one of the most effortlessly entertaining and funny comedians out there today.

He really is. Like Bob Mortimer, he's a naturally funny man who oozes (in a nice way) daft joie de vivre. As soon as I saw that he was a guest on the latest RHLSTP, I just knew he'd make me laugh. I don't often wade into that show expecting guaranteed mirth, but Davies never fails.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on November 23, 2018, 01:08:44 AM
I think Herring's story had the meat of something that could have been funny but he really fluffed the delivery. Contrast it to Greg's, Greg said from the start there was nothing funny in it, there was nothing really overly funny in the story, but he delivered it with comedic precision and infectious enthusiasm. Rich was a bit muddled in his and he gave so much superfluous information that it killed the story.

I don't mind Herring, he's alright really, but, man alive, I cringed at that failed attempt to build on Davies' story.

As you say, Davies admitted upfront that his anecdote wasn't hilarious - it essentially amounted to "I made a mate of mine laugh once" - but he's such an engaging storyteller, it was a pleasure to listen to. The actual telling of the story was funnier than the punchline, but that didn't matter. Billy Connolly has a similar gift: the final destination isn't that important, it's the journey that counts.

During Herring's anecdote, it was obvious that he didn't have much confidence in it, hence the nervous stumbling and rambling. Davies, by contrast, knew he was telling a story that didn't amount to much, but sold it with confidence, charm and effortless comic timing.

ASFTSN

I'd just like to thank whoever from this board left a comment one year ago on the youtube video of the previous Greg Davies episode saying that "Richard Herring looks like a homeless playing card" in it.

Tony Yeboah

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 19, 2018, 04:39:27 PM
Been catching up on a few I missed over the last couple of days, I quite liked the Lou Sanders one (the Gary Delaney cunt comment especially)

I believe it was Sam Delaney who was the cunt.

olliebean

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on November 26, 2018, 09:54:36 PM

Oh. That's disappointing. I bet Gary Delaney is as well, though.

shh

He keeps interrupting to agree with her that men have tried to dictate what female comedians can say. Someone should invent a word.

Oliver Mardy

Quote from: olliebean on November 26, 2018, 10:33:59 PM
Oh. That's disappointing. I bet Gary Delaney is as well, though.

I do hope not, he seems like a nice chap and I find him very funny. And he really raised the bar on the phrase "taking one for the team" when he married Millican.

PlanktonSideburns

Bit of a cunty unnecessary thing to say up there - we all like different things surely?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on November 26, 2018, 09:54:36 PM

Ah yeah, my mistake. Had Gary on the mind for some unknown reason.

olliebean

Quote from: Oliver Mardy on December 03, 2018, 03:17:50 AM
I do hope not, he seems like a nice chap and I find him very funny. And he really raised the bar on the phrase "taking one for the team" when he married Millican.

I unfollowed him a while back on twitter due to the neolib shit he used to retweet. Just had a look at his timeline and he doesn't seem to be doing it any more, so perhaps he's more enlightened these days.

Replies From View

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on December 03, 2018, 07:55:42 AM
Bit of a cunty unnecessary thing to say up there - we all like different things surely?

Don't think women should be referred to as 'things'.