Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:54:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Listened to about 40 minutes of the Rose Matafeo one but got bored, Herring was rambling away far too much and though Rose was funny in places I didn't find her that fascinating. For anyone who's seen her, is her stand up worth while?

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 04, 2018, 01:48:07 PM
Listened to about 40 minutes of the Rose Matafeo one but got bored, Herring was rambling away far too much and though Rose was funny in places I didn't find her that fascinating. For anyone who's seen her, is her stand up worth while?

Quite enjoyed her Edinburgh show that won the big award, bounced along nicely, tons of charisma, not sure her comedy is particularly aimed for older white men like us but I feel her best stuff is yet to come.

Replies From View

Twed

There goes marquis_de_sade again, insisting that women aren't corporeal. Get over it mate, they're not imaginary wisps. Even your erotic fan fiction about killing them for fun contradicts this.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on December 04, 2018, 02:27:33 PM
Quite enjoyed her Edinburgh show that won the big award, bounced along nicely, tons of charisma, not sure her comedy is particularly aimed for older white men like us but I feel her best stuff is yet to come.

Thanks for that, probably won't rush out to see her then but will catch if I get the chance.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Twed on December 04, 2018, 06:26:36 PM
There goes marquis_de_sade again, insisting that women aren't corporeal. Get over it mate, they're not imaginary wisps. Even your erotic fan fiction about killing them for fun contradicts this.

Now I can't stop thinking about imaginary wispas.

Replies From View

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on December 05, 2018, 02:16:52 PM
Now I can't stop thinking about imaginary wispas.

OF COURSE THEY ALL HAVE THOUSANDS OF TINY HOLES BY THE TIME ETC

BeardFaceMan

Was just watching an old Bob Mortimer one of these and at the end he's pretty gobsmacked that Rich is still with Avalon. Why is this? Do they have a rep for treating their comedians badly or something?

nedthemumbler

Stew berated him at length for the same thing on one of his appearances didn't he?  It got mostly cut from the released version though.  Maybe someone can be more useful, maybe Mr SmallManBigHorse

Small Man Big Horse

Lee had a rant about them a couple of years ago as he feels they monopolise tv comedy - https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/news/stewart-lee-is-not-amused-at-monopoly-control-of-tv-comedy-8477824.html

QuoteThe 44-year-old comedian told The Independent that panel shows such as 8 Out Of 10 Cats and stand-up show cases like Live At The Apollo are created by production companies that use another wing of their business to cultivate talent who can be given high-profile slots, allowing executives to pocket a commission on their own payments.

"All of those shows are peppered to a disproportionate extent with clients of the management company owned by the production company," he said. "You have a ridiculous situation where a client of the management company is interviewing another client of a management company on a programme made by the production company owned by the management company. Basically, advertising money and licence-payer money is being spent to increase the marketplace value of a tiny coterie of people."

And there's a bit more here: http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/alt-comedy-exp/the-elite-have-stitched-up-comedy/

Quote"Comedy on television is completely stitched up by two or three agencies and production companies In Cahoots with the Big Four [venues] at the Fringe, spending money on their own talent and getting their own talent into debt', justifiable by those acts 'being seen in the Big Four by TV people and journalists'. If you could actually have a television show where a criteria of entry was that you had to be in the Free Fringe, that would really start to rock the boat."

And there's a bit of a moan about Avalon not being able to find anyone to release his dvd in 2005: http://www.mustardweb.org/stewartlee/

QuoteWhen I left Avalon in 2006, they had a deal for filming my 2004 show Stand-Up Comedian, but the company they were using didn't want the 2005 show, 90s Comedian. I really wanted it filmed, because I knew that if you filmed it, that kind of finishes it as a piece of work, so you can stop doing that material. Whether it sold or not, it was really useful to draw a line under it. I was trying to think like an artist or musician who creates a body of work and then moves on to the next thing.

So I said to Avalon: any company that wants to film and release this can have it for nothing. But they weren't able to find anyone. Then I met Chris Evans, who runs Go Faster Stripe. He was a fan and was a tech support guy for an arts company in Cardiff. He knew some cameramen, so he said I'll film it and we can sell it on my website, which I think sold children's clothing that his wife had designed.

I said fine, we'll split it fifty-fifty. So that DVD, which Avalon couldn't find anyone to release, ended up on the Times Shortlist thing, where they called it the stand-up DVD of the decade.

up_the_hampipe

Didn't Addison Cresswell sort of threaten Stewart Lee once for making fun of Michael McIntyre?

Small Man Big Horse

Yeah: https://www.chortle.co.uk/features/2011/07/19/13653/stewart_lee:_what_i_really_think_about_michael_mcintyre

QuoteAddison Cresswell, had just whispered under his breath to me the half-serious threat: 'Stop making fun of my boy or you might find your career peaks too soon.'

Still, he's dead now and so Lee clearly murdered him had the last laugh.

Twed

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Twed on December 06, 2018, 04:56:06 PM
I bet a thousand pounds that it was a heart attack caused by Stewart Lee jumping out of his bedroom closet dressed as a crisp.

You're probably right there.

BeardFaceMan

From what Bob was saying it sounded financial, he said to him at one point "my agent takes 10%, what do you think about that?", like Avalon takes a bigger cut.

nedthemumbler

My step brother runs a pretty big roady and stage crew business (called Up North Stage Crew) and has always hinted that Cresswell was someone you don't want to mess with, if you enjoyed your knees.

mojo filters

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 06, 2018, 04:46:21 PM
Still, he's dead now and so Lee clearly murdered him had the last laugh.

...yet Patrick Marber confessed to the crime?

Small Man Big Horse

I only made it 15 minutes in to the James O'Brien one before turning it off bored out of my mind, ended up finally listening to the Ross Noble one which was surprisingly great, his stories about Mel Brooks especially amused.

Replies From View

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on December 06, 2018, 05:22:34 PM
From what Bob was saying it sounded financial, he said to him at one point "my agent takes 10%, what do you think about that?", like Avalon takes a bigger cut.

I don't think that's the entire picture, though.  More of an aside.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Replies From View on December 17, 2018, 08:07:04 AM
I don't think that's the entire picture, though.  More of an aside.

Oh there probably is a lot more to it than that, as evidenced by those Stewart Lee quotes, thats why I was asking. The financial stuff seemed more than an aside though, it was prompted by Rich saying hed lost 45 grand at Edinburgh.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on December 17, 2018, 09:58:16 AM
Oh there probably is a lot more to it than that, as evidenced by those Stewart Lee quotes, thats why I was asking. The financial stuff seemed more than an aside though, it was prompted by Rich saying hed lost 45 grand at Edinburgh.

Bob looks utterly baffled that he would bring that up during a comedy event. As was I. All a bit passive-aggressive with no humour value and a bit toe curling. Staring at his little book and going "Never mind. EEEEEHHHHH right! Good!...have you ever seen a man trying to suck his own Shrek?"

paruses

Quote from: ASFTSN on November 26, 2018, 02:45:08 PM
I'd just like to thank whoever from this board left a comment one year ago on the youtube video of the previous Greg Davies episode saying that "Richard Herring looks like a homeless playing card" in it.

Are we all agreed this was Stewart Lee?

paruses

Quote from: lankyguy95 on December 20, 2018, 03:15:52 PM
Amanda Abbington https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBZ3XE0iMbU

I am almost exclusively an audio consumer of these. WHY ARE THEY HOLDING MICROPHONES? It really sets me on edge.

olliebean

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 20, 2018, 09:02:07 PM
Who?

*Googles Amanda Abbington*

Who???

From memory, she's Tim from The Office's wife, who played Tim from The Office's wife in Sherlock.

(I just looked her up and that's not entirely right, but the gist is right and I can't be arsed to correct it.)

Ferris

I understand she is no longer Tim from the Office's wife (or "Tim from the Office in Sherlock"'s wife), but I might be wrong there.

Replies From View

jobotic

Jesus ollie and Ferris, is there anything you don't know about Tim from The Office?

Well done, you're Noel's Ultimate Fans

Twit 2

Quote from: paruses on December 20, 2018, 09:09:49 PM
I am almost exclusively an audio consumer of these. WHY ARE THEY HOLDING MICROPHONES? It really sets me on edge.

I think it's because the whole thing is an ego-driven fantasy for Herring, a child's role play, the equivalent of strumming a tennis racket in front of the mirror to pretend you're a rock star. Like Gervais and his 'famous man sunglasses' fancy-dress costume. A producer probably told him he can have clip-on mics and he said he wanted big ones on leads, and not to disturb him while he's taping the Top 40 off the radio onto a cassette.