Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:33:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Also, microphones are needed for picking the audio up, and no other kinds of microphone have been invented yet like small ones or anything.

Cheers!

Panbaams

The Amanda Abbington one's got a great section on her complaining about how tough it was to be banned from Twitter for a week.

paruses

I have just listened to the Drunk Women one. I hate to be such a cynic but I agree with the callers above who says it sounds like a cash-in + leg up venture. They talk about it in quite industry terms (can't remember the phrase but saying it's been taken on because they have "formula" or "formation" or something which is unlike other pods) and they also seem to have a professional production team for some thing that's just started up.

I am also not a fan of these Drunken "x" programmes - Drunk Review in the 90s was quite funny for an episode but very much of its time. Was that hosted by Roland Riveron?

Having said that I liked all three women on this and though that they handled the tiresome stuff quite well. It did seem a bit awkward a couple of times and there was probably an argument on the way home.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Replies From View on December 21, 2018, 11:25:19 AM
Also, microphones are needed for picking the audio up, and no other kinds of microphone have been invented yet like small ones or anything.

Cheers!

He should just use his phone instead.

A phone is a million times more powerful than a microphone.

Regardless of how he uses his microphone, he needs to stop getting half-cut. I did enjoy the Amanda Abbington one but there were also times I cringed at how much it sounded like a pissed uncle rambling his way through a wedding toast.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twit 2 on December 21, 2018, 10:36:57 AM
I think it's because the whole thing is an ego-driven fantasy for Herring, a child's role play, the equivalent of strumming a tennis racket in front of the mirror to pretend you're a rock star. Like Gervais and his 'famous man sunglasses' fancy-dress costume. A producer probably told him he can have clip-on mics and he said he wanted big ones on leads, and not to disturb him while he's taping the Top 40 off the radio onto a cassette.

If he can afford 3 or was it 4 camera ops, then he can definitely get a couple of lapel radio mics.

It's probably so he can still feel like a proper stand-up when doing the introduction.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 21, 2018, 09:33:46 PM

It's probably so he can still feel like a proper stand-up when doing the introduction.

This is it

Crabwalk

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 21, 2018, 09:33:46 PM
If he can afford 3 or was it 4 camera ops, then he can definitely get a couple of lapel radio mics.

A radio mic has far more scope to go wrong than a wired handheld mic (which the venue probably supply). Plus it'd need another member of staff to set up, monitor and mix. So part of his reasoning is definitely overheads.

Plus, the act of holding the mic makes the format more akin to two-handed stand-up and less like a natural conversation, which definitely suits Herring's 'interviewing style' better.

Ferris

Quote from: jobotic on December 21, 2018, 08:52:26 AM
Jesus ollie and Ferris, is there anything you don't know about Tim from The Office?

Well done, you're Noel's Ultimate Fans

Sounds like you are jealous of my comedy knowledge (specifically regarding Tim from the Office). I'm not going to apologize.

You sound like a right Gareth from the Office.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Crabwalk on December 22, 2018, 01:45:24 AM
A radio mic has far more scope to go wrong than a wired handheld mic (which the venue probably supply). Plus it'd need another member of staff to set up, monitor and mix. So part of his reasoning is definitely overheads.

Plus, the act of holding the mic makes the format more akin to two-handed stand-up and less like a natural conversation, which definitely suits Herring's 'interviewing style' better.

Most theatres have radio mics. You're still going to need a sound man for wired mics, I don't see how it'd need extra staff.

mjwilson

Replies From View

Quote from: mjwilson on December 22, 2018, 09:09:59 PM
The guy who runs in half way to change the batteries.

Plus every new member of staff requires somebody on hand to present them with a clean pair of trousers.

Beagle 2

Joe Lycett one is quite poor, due to his drunken vagueness. Some laughs to be had from shitfaced Esme towards the end.

Panbaams

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 03, 2019, 01:19:47 PM
Joe Lycett one is quite poor, due to his drunken vagueness. Some laughs to be had from shitfaced Esme towards the end.

I may be wrong – I listen to this rather than watch the YouTube version, so there may be stuff that I didn't pick up on – but I got the impression that Richard kinda hated having to deal with Esme.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Panbaams on January 03, 2019, 02:43:17 PM
I may be wrong – I listen to this rather than watch the YouTube version, so there may be stuff that I didn't pick up on – but I got the impression that Richard kinda hated having to deal with Esme.

For anyone about to try this one, as soon as Esme starts up, stop listening. The main Joe Lycett stuff was good, but they entertain Lycett's drunk co-star for way too long.
It's excruciating, not helped by the drop in audio as you hear this muted, mewling voice off camera.

DrGreggles

Panbaams

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on January 03, 2019, 07:38:51 PM
Who is Esme?
Esme is a judge on The Great British Sewing Bee, which Joe Lycett is the new presenter on. The two of them had been at a press event for the show earlier in the day and had gone drinking between that ending and the start of the podcast recording.

Travis B

Lycett one was dull, a shame as I was looking forward to it. I remember the one he was on a few years ago and he was really funny. This was just a damp squib.

Replies From View

Quote from: Travis B on January 03, 2019, 10:09:51 PM
Lycett one was dull, a shame as I was looking forward to it. I remember the one he was on a few years ago and he was really funny. This was just a damp squib.

It was odd.  Essentially just a Richard Herring fan sitting there onstage and saying he loves Richard.

Sebastian Cobb

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Travis B on January 03, 2019, 10:09:51 PM

He was pretty sharp and funny for the first thirty minutes, but after that he hits a wall of tired drunkenness. He starts to look a bit embarrassed and self-conscious and presumably realises that he's not being as entertaining as he was during his first appearance on the show.

Travis B

I thought the last one was pretty good. Fingers on Buzzers, a podcast with Lucy Porter and Jenny Ryan which I'd never heard of but now I think I'll give it a go. Both women good value and Herring actually gives them some space. A good one.

Mango Chimes

I like Lucy Porter, and have nothing against the other one, but I watched the first something minutes of it and found it to be a very dry chat about gameshows and gave up. It's rare I don't make it through one of these if I start it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Travis B on January 11, 2019, 12:08:03 AM
I thought the last one was pretty good. Fingers on Buzzers, a podcast with Lucy Porter and Jenny Ryan which I'd never heard of but now I think I'll give it a go. Both women good value and Herring actually gives them some space. A good one.

I liked it a lot too, though I do have a fondness for game shows, but Porter was good value throughout.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 04, 2019, 09:45:34 PM
He was pretty sharp and funny for the first thirty minutes, but after that he hits a wall of tired drunkenness. He starts to look a bit embarrassed and self-conscious and presumably realises that he's not being as entertaining as he was during his first appearance on the show.

I do wish these comedians would swap notes before releasing their podcasts. Following last month's Nish Kumar overload (Herring, Buxton, Rule of Three, Gamble & Acaster's Off Menu), Lycett's done the Herring/Off Menu double in the space of a week.

DrGreggles

Quote from: bobloblaw on January 11, 2019, 10:14:45 AM
I do wish these comedians would swap notes before releasing their podcasts. Following last month's Nish Kumar overload (Herring, Buxton, Rule of Three, Gamble & Acaster's Off Menu), Lycett's done the Herring/Off Menu double in the space of a week.

I was thinking of starting a 'Podcast Slags' thread because of this. Nish* was on the latest episode of The Horne Section pod too.

*I know he gets a hard time on here, but I like him when he's doing this sort of thing. Not so keen on his material though.

Panbaams

Quote from: Mango Chimes on January 11, 2019, 12:15:19 AM
I like Lucy Porter, and have nothing against the other one, but I watched the first something minutes of it and found it to be a very dry chat about gameshows and gave up. It's rare I don't make it through one of these if I start it.

It was a struggle. I was listening rather than watching but it felt very flat.

What's the Acaster & Gamble podcast like? Because I like both of them but the idea of a food podcast bores me to tears.