Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:17:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on January 11, 2019, 12:20:28 PM
What's the Acaster & Gamble podcast like? Because I like both of them but the idea of a food podcast bores me to tears.

It's dependent on the guest. The Richard Osman and Nish Kumar episodes have been very funny, but the others have been much less so.

Is it really all about food or is that a starting point for them to just ramble?

SteveDave

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 11, 2019, 11:10:06 AM
I was thinking of starting a 'Podcast Slags' thread because of this. Nish* was on the latest episode of The Horne Section pod too.

*I know he gets a hard time on here, but I like him when he's doing this sort of thing. Not so keen on his material though.

He's on the "Films To Be Buried With" 2018 round-up this week too.

That's a podcast I really struggled with. It's a nice idea, but Brett Goldstein seems a nice guy but is too wet to host. Every film mentioned  "Yeah that's luuvely."

Thosworth

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on January 11, 2019, 12:50:22 PM
Is it really all about food or is that a starting point for them to just ramble?

It's very structured - what is [the guest's] favourite starter / main etc etc., but each course then results in an anecdote and a bit of rambling.

olliebean

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 11, 2019, 11:10:06 AM
I was thinking of starting a 'Podcast Slags' thread because of this. Nish* was on the latest episode of The Horne Section pod too.

They make that a bit difficult to find, don't they? The last one I heard was back in October, when they released a mini-one saying "We're moving feeds, search for us and resubscribe" rather than actually telling you what the new feed was. I searched at the time and couldn't find it, then forgot about it until now. They still don't seem to have a link to it on their website, although they do have a link to a Patreon page to donate to it. But Google did find the actual podcast this time (it's at https://anchor.fm/thehornesection, for anyone still looking).

DrGreggles

Quote from: olliebean on January 11, 2019, 05:39:12 PM
They make that a bit difficult to find, don't they? The last one I heard was back in October, when they released a mini-one saying "We're moving feeds, search for us and resubscribe" rather than actually telling you what the new feed was. I searched at the time and couldn't find it, then forgot about it until now. They still don't seem to have a link to it on their website, although they do have a link to a Patreon page to donate to it. But Google did find the actual podcast this time (it's at https://anchor.fm/thehornesection, for anyone still looking).

Wasn't aware of that. Mine just started updating in iTunes into the same folder as before.
Maybe it varied depending on what app you use.

olliebean

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 11, 2019, 05:47:11 PM
Wasn't aware of that. Mine just started updating in iTunes into the same folder as before.
Maybe it varied depending on what app you use.

Interesting; the link they do have on their website links to the original iTunes feed, which only seems to contain the series 1 episodes. Maybe iTunes itself has some clever mechanism whereby a podcast can tell it to update to a new feed, but if so, it doesn't seem to work in other podcatchers.

mojo filters

Quote from: bobloblaw on January 11, 2019, 10:14:45 AM
I do wish these comedians would swap notes before releasing their podcasts. Following last month's Nish Kumar overload (Herring, Buxton, Rule of Three, Gamble & Acaster's Off Menu), Lycett's done the Herring/Off Menu double in the space of a week.

There's something ironic in that Nish Kumar is much funnier in the casual, unscripted podcast format compared to his day job, versus Richard Herring - who can be funny, but on recent evidence seems to fail spectacularly in all formats  (that he's still able to participate in).

I think in my viewing / listening to RHLSTP I'm inevitably skewed towards thinking that Herring has the potential to do a decent job, but for some reason we seem to end up with the needy, wannabe, standup hero he never was.

Yet amidst all that, his bizarre antics and dumb emergency questions don't put me off - I just become more curious: what is this kid doing and why am I watching/listening to it?

Is Herring some kind of niche marketing genius, shrouded in pathetic clothing? If I listen or watch more output, do I risk turning into an unwitting Emergency Questions book consumer?

Or am I just selfishly enjoying watching a perfectly nice man who's failed to find the success he craves, ever diminish his legacy and just consistently dig an ever deepening comedy grave?

Sometimes I think there's something fishy going on. Is there some twisted genius going on that I've blatantly missed, or are all these queries one more irritating-yet-engaging huge Emergency Question?

DrGreggles

Quote from: mojo filters on January 11, 2019, 06:34:10 PM
Or am I just selfishly enjoying watching a perfectly nice man who's failed to find the success he craves, ever diminish his legacy and just consistently dig an ever deepening comedy grave?

I just wish he'd do fewer things.
Or maybe employ an editor to tighten up the stuff he releases.

Was it Miles Jupp on RHLSTP who said that Herring "had no unpublished thoughts"?

mojo filters

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 11, 2019, 06:40:55 PM
I just wish he'd do fewer things.
Or maybe employ an editor to tighten up the stuff he releases.

Was it Miles Jupp on RHLSTP who said that Herring "had no unpublished thoughts"?

I'm loathe to criticise someone else working in the professional creative sphere (though I happily indulge under the cowardly shroud of web anonymity).

However it does seem like a filter of some sort could fix this proverbial problem. Or Herring could just get a bit better. I've no idea which of those two is more realistic?

What's weird and and intriguing about Herring, is that despite access to experienced management in his field - he ploughs on regardless. What's that all about?

WestHill

bobloblaw

gah, I always mix those two up.

By and large enjoying Off Menu. Osman's the best ep, but their chemistry with Aisling Bea worked a treat too. Will never tire of Acaster's genie schtick

rasta-spouse

QuoteWhat's weird and and intriguing about Herring, is that despite access to experienced management in his field - he ploughs on regardless. What's that all about?

Unlike Stewart Lee, who has a laser-guided perception of his exact place in the comedy cosmos, Herring has zero self-awareness (although seemingly an infinite capacity for mawkish introspection) so can't update or re-invent his comedic character. Although he's following sound modern marketing procedures by releasing free content it doesn't help that the content is bad and flabby and actually damages his brand. He has the motivation and resilience but the talent isn't there. I'm speaking as someone who has listened to the entirety of the 12 Shows of Herring along with all the commentaries.

Coming soon, the Annoying Voice Podcast - Kumar, Goldstein (child's voice), Acaster, and Joel Dommet (he, in particular, sounds like he's doing a phoney oriental accent all the time).

Small Man Big Horse

Herring's announced the first batch of guests for the next series:

QuoteFebruary 4th - EMILY ATACK + TBC

February 11th - ROB BRYDON and DAVID MORRISSEY

February 18th - JAMES ACASTER and LONDON HUGHES

March 4th - MATT FORDE +TBC

Morrisey and Acaster should be interesting but the others don't really do it for me.

Soup Dogg

I can see Brydon playing quite well off Rich to be fair.

Mango Chimes

Is there a sweepstake on what percentage of the Forde podcast will be him wanking on about Tony Blair, and how soon we get to it?

I'll go for thirty minutes in, for thirty minutes.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 14, 2019, 07:07:46 PM
Herring's announced the first batch of guests for the next series:

Morrisey and Acaster should be interesting but the others don't really do it for me.

David Morrissey will be fascinating having had success in the states. But then chances are there'll be a lot of questions about his various sex scenes.

Natnar

I wonder if AIOTM is gone for good or if it will come back in some way. I know the recent video version was a bit shit but i still wouldn't mind hearing a new audio series.

olliebean

Apart from his appearance in Doctor Who, I don't really know anything about David Morrissey so I'm not interested enough to bother with that one just on the strength of who he is. I reckon Acaster is the only one of those I'll be listening to without further recommendation.

DrGreggles

Acaster's Fringe one with Herring from a couple of years ago was fantastic.

Sin Agog

Quote from: kidsick5000 on January 15, 2019, 01:49:25 AM
David Morrissey will be fascinating having had success in the states. But then chances are there'll be a lot of questions about his various sex scenes.

I know he hasn't seen it, but I wish Herring would ask him a few about Blackpool.  That was an excellent miniseries/homage to those Dennis Potter shows where everyone breaks out into a jolly good mime.

olliebean

I don't even know who Rick Edwards is. Is he as famous as George Ezra?

DrGreggles

Quote from: olliebean on January 16, 2019, 12:36:47 PM
I don't even know who Rick Edwards is. Is he as famous as George Ezra?

Manic Street Preachers innit

Replies From View

He's announced some more guests - Joel Dommett, Suzi Ruffel, Les Dennis, Sindhu Vee, No Such Thing as a Fish.

I remember Les Dennis being interviewed by someone, I'm sure Peacock & Gamble, and thought he was really interesting and came across well.

DrGreggles

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on January 16, 2019, 09:10:24 PM
I remember Les Dennis being interviewed by someone, I'm sure Peacock & Gamble, and thought he was really interesting and came across well.

Yes he was and yes he did.
I saw the play he was in that year, and he and it were really good.

David Morrissey has just done the really interesting Two Shot Podcast, so I guess he's on the podcast circuit as well. They must be seen now the way chat shows were seen back in the day, although I suspect he would have done Two Shot regardless.

Herring interviewed The Goodies at the Slapstick Festival and it'll be released as a podcast.