Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:37:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ham Bap

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on January 20, 2019, 02:08:08 PM
Herring interviewed The Goodies at the Slapstick Festival and it'll be released as a podcast.

It's not like Rich to release everything he does in podcast form.

remedial_gash

Quote from: Ham Bap on January 20, 2019, 02:19:37 PM
It's not like Rich to release everything he does in podcast form.

Well to be fair to herring, he doesn't hide it behind a paywall, or patreon or stitcher premium, like some cunts.

olliebean

He does offer extras to people who pay monthly, which is essentially the same as what most of the Patreon-supported podcasts do.

Ham Bap

Quote from: remedial_gash on January 20, 2019, 08:44:54 PM
Well to be fair to herring, he doesn't hide it behind a paywall, or patreon or stitcher premium, like some cunts.

True that

c

Quote from: Ham Bap on January 20, 2019, 11:21:57 PM
True that

Yeah these cunts with their cunty children to 'feed' and mortgages to 'pay'. Cunt them in their greedy cunt cunts.

McFlymo

As much as I love podcasts, I can't really justify paying for them. I appreciate that people put a lot of work into their editing and recording, and in some cases, sourcing celebrity guests and such.

I do make the effort to buy tickets and see any live versions of these shows, if I can.

I guess I can live with myself, especially when it comes podcasts that have sponsorship(s) and pimp products in the show (or have external ads inserted into the show, like on Acast).

The Patreon thing is fine and dandy too: Give bonus incentives to people who pay. Although I also like Blindboy's "honour system" approach: You don't have to pay, but if you can, that'd be nice.

I guess there is so much to choose from that it's hard to value some of these podcasts. I have pretty much zero interest in the BBC stuff, I hate the "packaging" of those sorts of shows, so I don't feel I'm ripping anyone off by being a podcast freeloader. And also, I like the idea that a podcast is more like a chat between a couple of people, so it feels odd to put a monetary value on that.

I'm typing all this and can't help the niggling part of me, going, "listen to yourself, you fucking podcast thieving, artist undervaluing hypocrite cunt!!!" Doubly scathing because I'm sort of a freelance "artist" myself. ....

Gah....

Just make good stuff and if I can contribute to your output in a way that feels right, I  will.

I mean, I bought TWO Herring DVDs for fuck sake!!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: remedial_gash on January 20, 2019, 08:44:54 PM

No, he offers badges and other tat which most grown adults don't actually want.

KennyMonster

Matt Forde, fucking hell, it'll be a smug fest of the Owen Smith supporters slapping each other on the back that they are so clever.

I might have to unsubscribe, don't care who else might one day come along.

c

I'm reading Herring's memoir 'How Not to Grow Up'. I'll let you know if it's any good.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: McFlymo on January 21, 2019, 05:45:59 PM
As much as I love podcasts, I can't really justify paying for them. I appreciate that people put a lot of work into their editing and recording, and in some cases, sourcing celebrity guests and such.

I do make the effort to buy tickets and see any live versions of these shows, if I can.

I guess I can live with myself, especially when it comes podcasts that have sponsorship(s) and pimp products in the show (or have external ads inserted into the show, like on Acast).

The Patreon thing is fine and dandy too: Give bonus incentives to people who pay. Although I also like Blindboy's "honour system" approach: You don't have to pay, but if you can, that'd be nice.

I guess there is so much to choose from that it's hard to value some of these podcasts. I have pretty much zero interest in the BBC stuff, I hate the "packaging" of those sorts of shows, so I don't feel I'm ripping anyone off by being a podcast freeloader. And also, I like the idea that a podcast is more like a chat between a couple of people, so it feels odd to put a monetary value on that.

I'm typing all this and can't help the niggling part of me, going, "listen to yourself, you fucking podcast thieving, artist undervaluing hypocrite cunt!!!" Doubly scathing because I'm sort of a freelance "artist" myself. ....

Gah....

Just make good stuff and if I can contribute to your output in a way that feels right, I  will.

I mean, I bought TWO Herring DVDs for fuck sake!!

I've never understood why the business model for podcasts has always been this 'pay if you want' caper. If I really enjoy something in my lugholes, I am quite prepared to stump up a few quid for each episode at the very least. The sense of entitlement now regarding entertainment is quite baffling. And that's coming from me who was killing music with home taping back in the day all those years ago.

magval

Quote from: c on January 25, 2019, 09:19:46 PM
I'm reading Herring's memoir 'How Not to Grow Up'. I'll let you know if it's any good.

It isn't. He and Andrew Collins made fun of me in front of a roomful of sycophants for daring to leave it a negative review on Amazon, who were sending out free copies instead of hoping it would sell well.

Still like Rich but Collins is a fucking loser.

DrGreggles

It's mainly filled with the same stories he's told plenty of times on his podcast(s).

Replies From View

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 25, 2019, 09:29:09 PM
I've never understood why the business model for podcasts has always been this 'pay if you want' caper. If I really enjoy something in my lugholes, I am quite prepared to stump up a few quid for each episode at the very least. The sense of entitlement now regarding entertainment is quite baffling. And that's coming from me who was killing music with home taping back in the day all those years ago.

The audience for most podcasts would dwindle if people had to pay a few quid per episode, not because they are stingy cunts but because not everyone has that kind of disposable income.  At the very least such a model would cut off a potential audience developing for podcasters who are not already established.

Did you honestly never experience radio or television as a kid that didn't charge per hour?  It's really not such an odd or modern expectation.

Replies From View

Quote from: magval on January 25, 2019, 09:42:38 PM
It isn't. He and Andrew Collins made fun of me in front of a roomful of sycophants for daring to leave it a negative review on Amazon,

How did they know it was you??

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Replies From View on January 26, 2019, 03:34:17 PM
The audience for most podcasts would dwindle if people had to pay a few quid per episode, not because they are stingy cunts but because not everyone has that kind of disposable income.  At the very least such a model would cut off a potential audience developing for podcasters who are not already established.

Did you honestly never experience radio or television as a kid that didn't charge per hour?  It's really not such an odd or modern expectation.

But you paid a tv license and had to endure adverts but I see what you're saying. Are people really that skint that they can't stump up even a £1 for a podcast?

Ferris

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 26, 2019, 04:42:50 PM
But you paid a tv license and had to endure adverts but I see what you're saying. Are people really that skint that they can't stump up even a £1 for a podcast?

I've absolutely been that skint. No longer (thank fuck), but I remember living on £0 a week for a few months while working a full time job. It was... quite difficult.

I'm happy to support podcasts I like through Patreon etc. I think that seems to be the way to go rather than charging for each episode because while it's not great for the creators the sheer amount of podcasts out there make it a buyer's market and people with a profile are going to have such a leg up on others that the only way to build an audience for most podcasts is to put them out there for free and hope to build enough of a fanbase to then ask for Patreon support, the way something like Chart Music did.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 26, 2019, 05:22:45 PM
I've absolutely been that skint. No longer (thank fuck), but I remember living on £0 a week for a few months while working a full time job. It was... quite difficult.

Ok, fair dos.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on January 26, 2019, 05:31:22 PM
I'm happy to support podcasts I like through Patreon etc. I think that seems to be the way to go rather than charging for each episode because while it's not great for the creators the sheer amount of podcasts out there make it a buyer's market and people with a profile are going to have such a leg up on others that the only way to build an audience for most podcasts is to put them out there for free and hope to build enough of a fanbase to then ask for Patreon support, the way something like Chart Music did.

Point well made. I was thinking of CM too. I guess I would be paying up to £10 a month on all the podacsts I listen to. Never thought of it like that.

Ferris

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 26, 2019, 05:33:56 PM
Ok, fair dos.

It's why I tip well, lend/give money to people with no expectations of getting it back, and pay for things like podcasts and albums - I remember how shit and horrible and stressful being completely broke was, and I know the value of an extra quid to someone who is hard-up and I'm in a position to give it now so I always do.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 26, 2019, 04:42:50 PM

You know people do advertise in podcasts yeah? Herring has plugged those beer people and his own emergency questions.

olliebean

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 26, 2019, 06:55:41 PM
You know people do advertise in podcasts yeah?

Of course, that's why podcast players have buttons to skip forwards 30 seconds.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: c on January 25, 2019, 09:19:46 PM

I picked this up in a second hand book shop recently. Thought he made for a better writer than a stand-up, although he turns sappy towards the end. Also he's very blase about deliberately setting out to steal his missus from her previous long-term boyfriend, which seemed pretty cunty to me, even if he did end up marrying her.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Wet Blanket on January 28, 2019, 10:57:56 AMAlso he's very blase about deliberately setting out to steal his missus from her previous long-term boyfriend, which seemed pretty cunty to me, even if he did end up marrying her.

It's been a few years since I read it, but that has stayed with me. The way Herring belittled the boyfriend seemed pointlessly unpleasant.

Mobius

Didn't know that. Pretty shitty. He never brought that up on his podcasts!

DrGreggles

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on January 31, 2019, 12:59:07 AM
The Terry Hall episode is available.

Haven't heard it yet, but I hope Terry is in full-on grumpy mode.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 31, 2019, 08:29:52 AM
Haven't heard it yet, but I hope Terry is in full-on grumpy mode.

Afraid not, he's in a very chatty and amiable mood, I'm not an enormous fan of his music but it was an interesting listen.

PaulTMA

Quite a bombshell from Terry Hall dropped in the podcast.  Has he talked about the abduction publicly before this?